Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 365
If you like any of the following artists, these discs are excellent:

Diana Krall's "Live In Paris" 5.1 DD and DTS
John Mayall's "70th Birthday Concert" 5.1 DD & DTS
Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" 5.1 DD & DTS
Sade's "Live" 5.1 DD
Michael Buble' "Come Fly With Me" (stereo only) and Bonus CD!
Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" 5.1 DD
A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughn 5.1 DD (NTSC) with B.B. King, Dr John, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Vaughn, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, Art Neville and Bonnie Rait.
The Band's "The Last Waltz" 5.1 DD with Eric Clapton, Neill Young, Joni Mitchell, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison, Neil Diamond, Dr John and more.
Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" 5.1 DD

If you're old and can move, then you're old enough to groove!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 695
I'm going to have to get Diana Krall, if I ever see it. Thanks for that heads up, My Rantz.
cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
Berny

After having seen and bought the DVD of DK's LIP weve purchased another 2CDs - she's impressive!

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 137
MR:
Thanks also for the reference to the Mayall disc. Watched it last night. Video's good and the DTS track is very good. I hope I'm as spry at 70!

I've seen the audio CD of the Stevie Ray Vaughan tribute, but didn't know there was a DVD. Still looking for this one.

What about the "Concert for George?" It was recorded in Royal Albert Hall one year after George Harrison's death. The guest list includes
Clapton, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Paul, Ringo and others. I haven't seen the whole thing, but it's on my list.

"Live In Paris" is my reference standard!

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
John S

I'll definately look out for "Concert For George"

Thanks

BTW - just picked up a Denon 2900 and for :Live In Paris" it won't select either DD5.1 or DTS 5.1 on the DVD menu. All other DVD-V's seem OK but I'm cheesed off and I notified my dealer! But otherwise it's excellent!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 139
MR:
Very strange about that DK disc...what do you get then, straight stereo or no sound at all? I have noted Kegger's observations about the eccentricities of various DVD players, and it is indeed baffling. The real worrisome question about this is how many times will this happen again? I'm sure the 2900 is a very fine (congratulations!) machine that is as close to state-of-the-art as you can get for the money, but little problems like this are very disappointing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
John S

Thanks. The 2900 plays DK's LIP in DD stereo only. Funny thing is that even using our Luxman DVD player, the menu on the disc is still quirky: when one format is selected, all three light up, but the Luxman does select the chosen option. I've played several others on the 2900 with no problems at all. Fingers crossed!

All

Another recommendation: The Commitments DD 5.1 - wonder what happened to Andrew Strong?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 459
3 more good ones.

the eagles.
hell freezes over.

pink floyd.
the wall.

queen.
we will rock you.

i know i have others but can't think of them.
darnit!

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 28
May I recommend Total Abandon, Live in Australia '99 by Deep Purple?

The camera shots are very good; the sound is great; and the performance is noteworthy. 'Awesome' is a tired overused word, so I would say, overall, it's brilliant. Steve Morse is a great guitarist, technically and musically; definitely not your average garage band player. His performance here should put to rest the debate over Ritchie Blackmore's departure and its impact on DP.

Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we received notice that you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your circumstances. - Department of Social Services, Greenville, South Carolina

Bronze Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 86
Peter Gabriel - Growing up Live
Outstanding sound, image, songs, musical performance and "What a show...".

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 44
Had never seen this section on the forum - used to click-through to the Home Audio part. But looks like there's a lot of action goin' on here.

Here are my recommendations :

Roger Waters, "In The Flesh" tour
Pink Floyd, "The Wall"
Pink Floyd, "The Lost Doc" (documentary about the live The Wall concerts from 1980-'81. To be released soon)
Pink Floyd, "Pulse" (not yet released, but given the performance, will be a sure-shot 'must have')
Roger Waters, "The Wall - Live in Berlin" (not the best transfer, but a historically signficant concert)
OK, so I am a big Floyd fan (much like Arnold Layne, I'm sure). Have a few other Floyd DVDs like "The Dark Side of the Moon" Classic Album DVD, but it's more of the story of the album and its impact than the music itself. "Live at Pompeii" is rather good.

The other recommendations, especially if you want to really enjoy your system would be the 2 Blue Man Group albums - The Complex Tour and Audio. Both have special 5.1 mixes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 891
This overcast Sunday (we had the first real drop of rain for several months) began with a lazy breakfast, then a stroll around the nearby shopping center. Killing time. My wife saw a DVD video and suggested we purchase it. I said I'd think about it because I truly couldn't stand the artist: I had considered him a young punk.

Anyway, I purchased a 5.1 DD DVD video of Dr John with The Chris Barber Band recorded at the Marquee Club in London in 1983. For the sale price of $15 it was very good, but average production. Didn't matter, the Doctor is one of my favourite Jazz/blues artists.

This other DVD-A was on sale for $19.00 and my wife said she had seen a clip from it playing somewhere in the previous week. Reluctantly, I agreed, we made the purchase, walked around a bit, bought a couple of 'on sale' novels and returned home to have lunch with our new entertainment.

The brash young punk that I once detested instantly held me captive as he began to belt out the great jazz/swing numbers of Frank, Deano, Sammy and others. A sensational orchestra, and the bevy of foxy dancers all added to around 70 minutes of amazing entertainment. I could not believe the flawless performance (okay, post production may have helped), the humour, and the spectacle of it all. 5.1 & 2 channel DD, great sound and totally engrossing - it made our day.

My hat's off to Robbie Williams.

The DVD-V is Robbie Williams "Live At The Albert"

An absolutely must have Dvd-V if you like the music genre - M rated for language.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 146
Anyone else hear popping sounds on track 5 of Hell Freezes Over on DTS (but okay on stereo)? I can't even listen to track on DTS anymore, and it's "Hotel California" for goodness' sake!

It's a great DVD for kick drums for a sub.

Username: Indianspringsaz

Post Number: 6
Eric Clapton--- One more car, One more rider
Yes--- Symphonic live
Triumph--- Live at he US

Bronze Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 22
Is there a Lil'Jon DTS disc?

Bronze Member
Username: Eskimo3

Post Number: 18
I got a few,
Yes
The Yes Album
Queen
Greatest Hits(1984 edition)
Queen
Greatest Hits(new edition)
Yes
The Ladder

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 268
Diana Krall--Live At The Montreal Jazz Festival DD 5.1 and Dolby Prologic II Stereo
Here, Diana is joined by her regular guitarist Anthony Wilson, ace drummer Peter Erskine and a very impressive Robert Hurst on bass (ex-Marsalis Bros. and Tonight Show band). Ms. Krall takes more chances, both vocally and on the keyboard (with varying success) while performing some of her concert staples: a rocking East of the Sun and Devil May Care. Of course, some things off her last studio album Girl In The Other Room including the highlight off that: Joni Mitchell's Black Crow. The audio mix by Al Schmitt places too much piano in the surround channels as with his mix on Live In Paris. The video sparkles with some creative dissolves and overlaps. Watching this one will put a smile on your face.

Anonymous

Diana Krall is great, she's from Nanaimo too!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 282
Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival DTS and DD 5.1, 2 discs, about 210 minutes. See

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/guitargods/

Proceeds from this festival go to Crossroads Centre, Antigua.

The video is very acceptable, and the surrund mix is very good, with solid sound across the front and only minimal ambiance in the rears.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 286
A couple quotes from the EC DVD above:

"I came here to listen to all these guitar players and try to steal some licks from them..." J.J. Cale

"Well if I knew I had to play this song the rest of my life I prolly would've wrote somethin' else, but it's too late you're stuck with this one....." Joe Walsh before playing "Rocky Mountain Way"

Gold Member

Qld Australia

Post Number: 1640
Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits DVD - great picture, excellent dts surround, great tight band and some good toons and great blues. Worth it if you like a bit of Boz.

John S - I forgot to mention, the LIP DVD by Ms Krall - the menu fault is a common problem with the 2900 player - apparantly there is a software fix though using the audio button on the remote gets me to the dts and dd 5.1 soundtracks - no more problem.

Saw the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD on sale here - I'll wait for the price to drop a bit.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 295
MR,
Is that Boz Scaggs DVD the same production I saw recently on one of our hi-def channels? This was taped live in a small club with about 10 musicians on stage. Picture was great, and the DD 5.1 was good also.

Incidentally, if you dig around the Crossroads Centre site, the entry fee for treatment there is $15,000US, cash or credit card only (don't be flippin' your health insurance card at 'em either). Wonder how many addicts have that kind of cash laying around? "Only rich rock stars," the clerk said when he rang the sale on the DVD.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1682
John S

Could be the same Boz show but I wouldn't know - I think it was performed in San Fransisco. Surely the Crossroads Guitar Festival wasn't to raise funds - at $15,000 a pop for treatment?

Username: Hi_fi

Post Number: 1
I think the popping sound you here in the Eagles DVD is the ring on the finger as it hits the drum. I thought it was my speakers until my wife pointed it out to me. Watch it and see what you think.
Eric Clapton Live in Hyde Park. Clean and tight and a great performance by him. Nice use of the surround speakers. ELO Zoom tight base clean sound!

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 59
Nine Inch Nails - ...and all that could have been
(Available in two formats, make sure you get the DTS edition - all the extras are in DTS 5.1 as well whereas on the DD release the extras are only in 2.0)

Dave Matthews Band - The Concert In Central Park
Excellent picture quality and very nice 5.1 DD mix.

Coldplay - Live 2003
DTS and DD 5.1

Underworld - Everything, Everything
DD 5.1 - very cool option on this disc, you can watch the band in concert or you can have the show with the Tomato (graphics company) art playing on your screen - it's the visuals playing on the back screen of the stage.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1879
Neil Young-Live in Berlin.

A nice selection of his stuff, listened in 2.1 and enjoyed.
Redone, original in 72 or73.

Silver Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 129
Just got "In The Flesh" and thought it was great. My wife and I sat there listening to it like we were actually at the concert. Had it really cranked up too. Got "Growing up Live" too, but have not really listened to it yet.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 928
the Diana Krall DVD is great, but it doesnt come close to seeing her live. And yes, the sound is fantastic. She tours with a MeyerSound MILO line array, which IMHO is the best in the business, aside from the Nexo GEO-T.

The Diana Krall concert experience is one that you will definatly remember.

Bronze Member
Username: Blazingarrow74

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 19
If Anyone here likes Jazz, I highly suggest Pat Metheny Group - We Live Here - Live in Japan ...

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 886
Pat Metheny Group "Imaginary Day Live" DD 5.1, DTS 5.1
Recorded in front of the old Paul Masson winery in Central California, this concert was expertly done in both video and audio. As the sun goes down the music gets progressively, well progressive. Nevertheless the first half hour is worth having this disc, imo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2230
'We will sell no band before it's time'.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 893
And they got Orson Welles to do ads for them. He must have really needed the money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2271
Or the food.

Username: Gmanchefboy

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4
Oasis-Familiar to millions
I was not an Oasis fan until I saw this DVD, but within five minutes I was hooked. Stunning video quality (appears to have been filmed in HD) and excellent sound. My favorite music DVD. Bonus feature takes you thru the crowd during this Wembley Stadium show. Hilarious! Seeing how the Brits enjoy a concert is a real treat. I love the way our cousins across the pond sing along in celebration while enjoying a pint or two.

Stevie Ray Vaughn-Live at El Mocomba
Not the best video quality in this small Canadian club, but Stevie really rocks it. His performance of Lenny, so named for his wife, proves why he is second only to Hendrix when it comes to playing guitar.

The Cure-Trilogy
Filmed in HD, this is another treat. Most people don't realize just how good Robert Smith is at playing guitar. One of the best musicians of the last 25yrs. Awesome DVD with super quality.

Finally, a friend brought over the new U2. What a show. Excellent video and sound quality. My next DVD purchase.

Username: Willy_57

Moerbeke waas, Oost-vlaanderen Belgium

Post Number: 9
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff live
Pink Floyd - Live at Pompei
Yes - Yessongs

Username: Baxter77

Post Number: 3
Anyone Have the Eagles Farewell 1 from Melbourne DVD? The sound mix is fantastic. The channel seperation is so well defined and the performances spot on. Its in DTS and was recorded in 2004. The best sounding live performance DVD I've heard so far. I'd like to know what others think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us