Mitsubishi Television problem...

ShimmyShanks
Unregistered guest
I have a problem, my Mitsubishi big screen (non-hd) projection television is having picture problems... being that there is none. What I mean is, when you turn the television on, there is sound, but no picture, this has nothing to do with the video connection, but the television itself. The only way we can have the video back is to "bang" the top of the television set (repeatedly) until the picture returns. I've opened the television up myself, and i've noticed there are three bulbs (red, green and blue - not in order) and I notice they flicker. Anyone know what the problem is?

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 237
Sounds like you have cold solder joints, or solder joints on the mainboard which have cracked over time due to thermal expansion and contraction of the circuit board.

Repair is to find and reflow the cracked joints. You may want to consider hiring the services of a reputable repair professional to deal with getting your set back into normal operating condition.

In the meantime, stop using that TV in its current condition! Continued use in that state could make the problem worse or create new headaches that may only allow for a more expensive repair bill. - Reinhart

Shimmyshanks
Unregistered guest
How much would you think that would cost? Would it be easier to purchase a newer television?

Shimmy
Unregistered guest
The model # is VS-4541. I was searching and apparently there is another poster (Back from Feb) who has the same problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
Because of the fact that the TV is a big screen, labor might be around $70-$150, depending on who you hire to perform the repairs. AND, this is also assuming that the repair does not require any replacement parts.

I would recommend that you shop around to find a repair shop that has the lowest rates (but be sure they also have a good reputation). Also ask if the shop gives free repair estimates and if they will do house calls so you won't have to lug the thing to a repair shop.

A new big screen will cost you more money than getting your broken set repaired (unless the problem with your broken set is REALLY big).

But, consider what you've gotten out of your set. If the set is certainly old (like, say 10 or so years), then it might be a good time to consider replacing rather than repairing. A bigscreen that's old enough will exhibit certain problems related to age, such as old coolant for the CRTs and the projection lenses (which can be replaced relatively inexpensively), old high voltage components such as the flyback transformer (which do fail over time from constant use since the internal windings have insultation that will break down and allow the windings to short themselves after enough hours of use), and/or old electrolytic capacitors (which were a really big problem with Mitsubishi equipment from the 1990s since they had big problems with leaking). If you are considering replacing, donate the set to any repair shop that's willing to take it in. They will either refurbish it themselves and resell it or, more likely, they will strip it for parts and dispose of what they can't use.

Otherwise, it may be best to go ahead and find someone to fix your current set. - Reinhart

Shimmy
Unregistered guest
Thanks Kip Wells, I appreciate your help.

Anonymous

I have an older Mitsubish 50" screen, the problem I now have an HDTV box. But my TV has no RGB connection the rear. Is there anything that I can use to convert my Television?

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
No.

Your HDTV box would have to downconvert its video feed into standard NTSC for it to properly display on your television. Modification may not be possible and/or economically feasible.

You'll have to replace your set with a new one that's capable of operating at HDTV resolutions to fully enjoy your HDTV broadcasts. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
I have 1989 40 inch VS 4001 Mitsubishi TV that will not allow an auxillary input (x-box etc) that requests an 4 digit code to unlock the input. I never remember entering a code. Is there a dfault code that was used way back when?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
JK

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 553
JK,
Hopefully, you still have the original remote for this TV. If so, press the channel number "9" and "QV" simultaneously. This should defeat the channel lock system. If it does you can thank me, if it does not, it's time to write Mitsubishi a letter.
Good luck.
:-)

Unregistered guest
My television will not show a picture on the tube. When yoiu turn on the power you can hear a clicking coming from the back of the set. It also makes a noise like it is continually going on and off. What could be the problem? It is a 40 inch Mitsubishi corner tv from around 1996-97.

Anonymous

Have a 80's model Mitsubishi 27" TV that is having a curious problem. When I turn it on, after a few minutes it turns itself off. Turn it on, off. Goes on for about 10 minuts until it stays on. When it goes off, a red light at bottom left of TV flashes. Does not flash when it is turned off normally. If I turn on sleep timer for say 30 minnutes, it clicks like it is trying to turn off, but stays on. This only happens when TV is cold after it warms up, no probs. Any ideas??

Anonymous

Have a big screen Mitsubishi tv. At various times and only with 2 particular channels (at least so far), a black screen with white text pops up, blocking the picture. The white text mentions something about a "string test". The only way to get the message off is to change the channel and then come back to the original channel. There is no rhyme or reason for this problem so cannot predecit when it will occur.

Unregistered guest
i brought a 1995 diamante and it wouldnt start and he put a new batteryin car and it started right up. now it wont start and i havent even driven it. when you turn the key it just clicks.

Unregistered guest
i brought a 1995 diamante and it wouldnt start and he put a new batteryin car and it started right up. now it wont start and i havent even driven it. when you turn the key it just clicks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
Your car problem is unrelated to the discussion, which is TV repair.

But, you might want to suspect the starter motor. One thing you can try to check this out when it won't turn is to tap the starter motor body with a mallet and then try again.

If it starts up, then it's the starter. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
Help!! My tv programs are in jail!!

Turned the tv on today and there are flickering white bars on the screen of my 01' 55" Mitsu Platinum series tv.

Any thoughts on the problem? Any ideas on the damage to my pocket?

It's a set I won at work so I can't complain about being out any money but at the same time, I don't have the extra cash to buy what I want at this point in time.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Jason
Houston

Unregistered guest
I am having problems with my 62'. we just got it from a friend with no remote, it shows the menu and all that is connected to that but it will not recognize any channels Help

KEJAK
Unregistered guest
I have a 42" 1996 era Mitsubishi TV. It used to be part of a surround system/satellite connection. We moved it to another house, attached it to a cable outlet(antenna A) and turned it on. No luck...black screen with Antenna A showing. No sound. Any ideas how I can undo any custom settings and make it just a regular TV again?

Unregistered guest
I have Mitsubishi 50" Big screen and I have no picture. It started out with the color turning a yellow and then fading out. My TV is probably 8 years old, but with only about 5 years use. Do you have any ideas. This was the only thing I got in my divorce and I can't afford to replace it. I can watch DVD's on it and if I turn it on now , the yellowy picture will be there for a while and then it goes black. any suggestions

Unregistered guest
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A TV REPAIR PLACE IS A LEGITAMATE PLACE. I HAD A GUY LOOK AT MY 51 INCH MITSUBISHI PROJECTOR SCREEN HE CAME OUT TO MY HOUSE AND HE TOLD ME THAT THE TRANSFORMER WAS BAD AND IS CHARGING ME 450 DOLLARS TO REPAIR IT IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME TO KNOW WHAT QUESTIONS TO ASK I WOULD SURE BE GRATEFUL.......... THANKS SKT

Anonymous

I have an older Mitsubishi tv, not sure of the year or model, and i recently bought a DVD player to hook up to this tv. I no longer have the original remote to this tv, which had a "tv/ext" button that switched to the video mode that would allow for the use of the DVD player. On my replacement remote, there is no button that will do anything pertaining to switching from tv to video output, and therefore i cannot watch any DVD's. Do i need to get a new remote that has a function to switch to video mode or is there a simpler solution??? please help me out!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 623
Anon,
Assuming you do not have an input switch on the TV's front panel, then a decent remote replacement is in order.

Here's a good deal. I have this same remote and it has an input switch on it that will operate any Mits TV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5795681198&category=15065

Unregistered guest
i have a 65 inch hd projetion that suddenly wouldn't turn on. i had it looked at and the repairman said that the tubes had leaked oil on the circuitry. this tv is 4- 5 years old, but hasn't seen much actual use. this sounds odd and i'm wondering if anyone has heard of this problem.

Username: Chicagotvfan

Post Number: 1
I have a 55" Mitsubishi Platinum Series HDTV that I bought in 2001. Last night, I started having the same problem as some other folks where the TV would turn on and there was sound but NO PICTURE.

Has anyone had this problem resolved successfully for under $500 ???

I don't know if I'll be able to find a good tv repairman, but I'd like to know if others were able to get this fixed or just bought a new tv.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Username: Mytvisnotgood

Post Number: 2
i have the same problem with my 1994 mitsubishi television. the sound comes on and the picture...and waves of green and blue go from top right corner to bottom left. so i am looking for a repair person if any one knows of one! in the indiana area.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 830

broderick, make sure you don't have any unshielded speakers near that picture tube.

Username: Jperry314

I have a mitsubishi tv model vs 4507r that i need a manual for. crosshairs don't want to line up properly and the color is off a little. any help would be appreciated.

Username: Chetley3

I have a Mitsubishi HDTV model #WS-73711 that's about 3 years old. This morning it shut itself off. Now every time I try to turn it on the green timer light flashes for a few seconds and then TV power shuts off. Through some internet research I found that it could possibly be a convergence output circuit problem. Does anyone have any information on this problem? Thanks.

Username: Ligiausa

I have a WS 55615 52 "That I bought last december. WHen I try to turn it on, the green timer flashes but the image never appears. I can hear the fans running but no image ,sound or even the green power light. Some people are saying that I lock the tv and need a code. The problem is that Im in Brazil ans there is no Mitsubishi authorized Service here. Can anyone help me.

Username: Br_ced

I have a Mitsubishi 62" DLP tv that is about 2 years old. I get an intermittant red screen on the display periodically. Me and a friend of mine took off the back of the tv and the problem seem to be in the avi cable but even would a good connection this problem still occurs. I have had two tv repair guys come out - no resolution. Please help if possible.

Username: Vacday

I have a Mitsubishi 2001 VS50609 and the blue will not line-up on the convergence. It will move left to right but not up or down. Red and green are fine. Any ideas?

Username: Lilsweety

Port jervis, Ny Us

I have a 50" Mitsubishi rear projection tv that at first the picture would go haywire, all distorted and we would hit the side and the picture would return to normal. This was going on for quite a while and then the red and blue and other colors would mess up and require me to fix them under the "test" option of my tv. Now today I went to turn it on and the green power button lit up and shut itself off. Now the tv won't even come on. Do you have any thoughts as to what could be the problem? It is old, 10 yrs, but hasn't given me any problems in the past.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 998
Debra, please read the first half-dozen or so posts on this thread.

Username: Rogercj

Hey Ligia, The manual says you must wait one minute after powering up your WS55615. That's what the blinking green light may be telling you. I know because I am trying to get my WS55511 to work. It faded to black today; no sound, no picture. When I turn it on, the green light comes on for maybe 3 seconds, then the unit clicks off. Shutting down AC power, waiting a bit, then reapplying it, produces the blinking green light, but after a minute, the set still won't turn on for more than a few seconds. No sound, no picture. My set is only 3 years old. Don't tell me it's dead already! John S or Reinhart: Do you have any thoughts? Tried to do System Reset but the switch (if any) behind the tiny hole doesn't seem to do anything. No blinking green light; nothing. Thanks for any help or advice.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1016
Roger I wish I had a magic pill for you, but I don't. Judging from the dead Mits I see on this and other threads, I would think most qualified TV techs are familiar with the problem and know what to do. With a 3 year old TV, I would seek help. Surely any part or parts are still available. And I would guess the repair cost would be far less than buying a new TV.

Ironically, my own beloved 18-year-old Mits 35" CRT expired a few days ago (no power). I won it in a sales contest, so I guess it doesn't owe me anything. :-)
I'm still trying to decide what to do with the carcass.

Username: Bmakewood

Manistee, MI USA

I have a mitsubishi Model vs-55601 purchased in Oct. of 1997. It was working fine untill I put it in storage for 6 mo. Now when I turn it on it works for about 3 seconds and shuts off. ??? I am very curious what the problem is.
Thank You
Mike B

Hey Mike (and John S), I have a 55511 that had the exact same problem. I hired an in-home TV tech, who diagnosed the problem as a defective convergence chip/circuit (this is a three inch wide Sanyo package with about 50 pins, glued to a heat sink). May have been a latent defect; after de-soldering, he produced a handful of loose pins that were no longer connected to the chip. He replaced the chip and a couple surge control devices, and the TV works like new. Repair cost: $300.

Username: Mlamont

Post Number: 3
Wow - after reading this post, I'm beginning to think Mitsubishi tv's are something to stay away from... I have a separate post but think this might be the better place. I have a 27" Mitsubishi that has been great for years (early 90's) but no longer have the remote. A recent power outage seemed to reset the tv and I can't get sound. It tells me that the speaker is "off" when I try to adjust the sound. I have a universal remote but it can't access the menu on the the tv (though it does have a menu button on it). I have an input, scan, channel, volume, and AV reset button on the front of the tv but none of these give access to the menu. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1031
"Wow - after reading this post, I'm beginning to think Mitsubishi tv's are something to stay away from..."

Marilyn, there are tons of people posting with problems on Magnavox/RCA/Zenith/etc TVs of the same age as yours. At least yours still works.

You might try a different programming code for Mits. on your universal remote, assuming you still have the code list for it. Maybe you can get the menu function to work that way.

Or you can get almost any replacement remote for Mitsubishi. (Your original remote is not available, I think.) They, unlike other TV manufacturers, have maintained the specific infrared codes for most fuctions from model year to year in my experience. This should work...

http://www.replacementremotes.com/store/productdetailp.cfm?productid=3617&catego ryid=289

You may be able to find a cheaper solution with a little searching.

Username: Mlamont

Post Number: 4
Thanks, John, for the help. I'll check into a new remote for Mitsubishi. My current remote was very inexpensive and I tossed the codes after I finished setting it. I really appreciate the help. Thank you again.

Username: Discojz

I have a 57" mitsubishi HD that has a scrambled screen. The picture shows random "blue squares" over 50% of the screen. When I hit the T.V., the scrambling goes away or is diminshed for a few minutes. Is this a solder issue? Is this something that I can fix myself? Thanks.

Username: Aperl

I have read this whole tread, but I have not read an answer to two posts that I of course I have the same issue.

I just took my 50" Mitsubishi VS-5081 (Feb 1999) out of storage. Everything was fine for 15 minutes, then horizontal roll, then everything went to black. Audio works fine. However, sometimes after letting the tv cool down for an hour I can turn the TV back on and it will work for 5 minutes before going black. Sometimes if I leave the TV on for a couple of hours, a pictur will appear for a short time, then go to black.

Is this a fuse issue?
Is this a heat issue?
Is this an expensive issue?
Anyone have some tips to fix?

Any help would be approeciated so if and when I am talking with a repairman I can hopefully guide him/her to the right issue.

Username: Bsmith901

I bought a new 50" Mitsubishi VS-50607 big screen TV around 1999 after looking at many sets. This brand and model seemed to have the best picture at the time. We'll just after the warranty period, the picture suddenly went out. The set had never been moved from its original spot when delivered. The company only offered to pay parts and I pay labor which was around $350-$400 itself. One of the tubes had leaked coolant onto the main board and both required replacing. Just tonight, the same thing seemed to happen while my daughter was watching TV. This has to be a bad design. I recommend that people do not buy Mitsubishi TV's.

Username: Ilandmdc

I own a 46" Mitsubishi TV. I shipped it from Florida to Germany and now it does not have a clear screen. The horizontal setting is messed up and the picture is not clear.

Username: Maggie_r

Connecticut

Hello. I have a 1995 31" Mitsubishi CS-31303. A couple of weeks ago, it stopped turning on. Actually, when I would press power, it would start to turn on but then would turn off before the screen lit. I called a repair man, but before he could come, someone recommended trying the reset button. After pushing and holding the reset and degauss buttons several times, the tv turned back on and worked fine. This issue recurred twice more, and recovery was successful. However, two days ago the same issue cropped up, and the tv will no longer respond. Any idea what this is, why the degauss and reset buttons wont work anymore, and what I can do to fix it?

Username: Kyle954

Coconutcreek, Florida USA

Hey...i own a 38 inch Mitsubishi Tv and today when i turned it on...the picture was totaly distorted and its as if the whole TV turned into 3D mode...there is a space at the bottem and on the left where the picture curves...any idea what the problem is...?

Username: Grnidcsi

I have a 45" projection tv purchased in 1994. Just this year the picture started spinning like it has lost its vertical hold. Can you help me adjust this or troubleshoot it?

Username: Rushfreak

We just purchased a Mitsubishi WD62526 HDTV Projection TV, Manufactured in 2006 about 6 months ago. We purchased from Auction Drop on Ebay. We delivered it (carefully) ourselves. When we turn it on it works perfect for about 9 minutes then shuts off and red status light blinks indications service needed according to manual. We are getting the run around from the auction company, the warranty company AND Mitsubishi and basically they say we are on our own as far as any service. My thoughts are it may be some kind of auto shut off possibly due to a bad electronic component heating up then failing. Any ideas or input would be very welcome! Thanks..

Username: Kiffrt

Mitsubishi CS-3725C Chacsis WA-C-C25R has a white line across the screen from left to right,,The sound still working How can i fix this?
Thank you.

Username: Braithwaite

i have a very old misubishi 40 inch rear projection tv (model vs-405r) made in about 1985.
the picture went out, but the sound, and everything else still works (if you connect a monitor to the video output of the tv, the picture on the monitor works fine) however the picture on the main screen is totally dark,
no light from any of the crt's. the unit has ben repaired twice before, once for the convergence
repair kit, another time for the sound, at about $400 each time. i still like the set, but dont want to spend another $500 to fix it, with new hi-definition sets going for about $1000 and up. i feel that its somthing in the hi-voltage area of the set. would like to fix if not to expensive. the fly-back and hi-voltage block are still avalable,
at about $50 total. would that do it? or is thier somthing else that usually fails as well?
the set worked fine, then the next time i turned it on, no picture. no funny smells, or noises. as far as i know, the tv tubes (crt's) are still good.
any help is most appriciated. thanks, adrian

Username: Mbwilson60

I am having a problem with our Mitsubishi WD 2527 wide screen tv. We purchase it in May of 05, its less than 2 years old. The screan has a nasty blue/green haze at the bottom that seems to be spreading upward. The overall brightness of the tv is gone. The repair man that came by to diagnose it said that the 'light engine is defective' and repair costs could be $1700 +/-. Does this sound familiar to anyone and does the repair mans diagnosis sound reasonable?
HELP

Username: Rjlee

Hello I have a problem with my Mitsubishi vs45-va2, When i turn it on it will power up with a blurry picture and some lines only in upper left corner. It then shuts down after 10 to 15 seconds. And will not power up again unless i unplug and plug in again. I am a service technician for many products, but no experience on projection tv's. Any help would be greatly appreciated

concerning the model 2527 (two posts above) a friend at work who is a tech has told me that some mitsubishis have a problem with mold growing in the silicone cooling
jell of the picture tubes. the tubes have a lense
that is filled with a jell between it and the tube. easy enough to spot, just remove the front screen, and look directly into the three lenses with a flash light. if you see some stuff growing in the jell, thats your problem. you may be able to have the lenses removed, the jell
cleaned out, and replaced with new. or perhaps all the tubes have become damaged, and need replacement. that would explane the hi cost of repair. for my set, i ended replaceing it with a 50 inch hitachi from best buy, for about $700.
its a hi-def set, but uses good old fashoned
picture tubes, like my 20 year old mitsubishi
did. funny thing is the picture is NOT that much better than the old mitsubishi set, but it does have the new digital channels, and the newer 16 by 9 aspect ratio. those old mitsubishi's shure had a great picture for thier time. good luck, adrian

concerning the model 2527 (two posts above) a friend at work who is a tech has told me that some mitsubishis have a problem with mold growing in the silicone cooling
jell of the picture tubes. the tubes have a lense
that is filled with a jell between it and the tube. easy enough to spot, just remove the front screen, and look directly into the three lenses with a flash light. if you see some stuff growing in the jell, thats your problem. you may be able to have the lenses removed, the jell
cleaned out, and replaced with new. or perhaps all the tubes have become damaged, and need replacement. that would explane the hi cost of repair. for my set, i ended replaceing it with a 50 inch hitachi from best buy, for about $700.
its a hi-def set, but uses good old fashoned
picture tubes, like my 20 year old mitsubishi
did. funny thing is the picture is NOT that much better than the old mitsubishi set, but it does have the new digital channels, and the newer 16 by 9 aspect ratio. those old mitsubishi's shure had a great picture for thier time. good luck, adrian

Username: Rjlee

hey Adrian,

any thoughts on my problem?

Username: Mbwilson60

Thanks Adrian. I'll mention it to the tech when he returns.

Username: Clovek1977

I read thru and couldn't find anything that fit my problem. I recently purchased an older (10 yrs I think) rear projection tv (Mitsubishi of course). It came with no model number on the back and no handbook. I do have the remote thogh. It ran great for about three weeks, the other day it went off by itself and every time I try to turn it back on it just; click...click, click, then nothing. I did some research and I am pretty sure I need to change a fuse but I don't know which fuse, what it looks like or how to get to any fuses. Any help you could offer would be great. I want to fix the tv myself if I can. Thanks

Username: Dirtybird

hey, i bought a mitsubishi 40" from a friend a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine until yesterday, when i got home from work i turned it on and the screen goes real dark, then light, and it flickers. any suggestions on what could be wrong with it or how to fix it? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

Username: Firefoxx

I have a Mitsubishi model WS-42313. I push the power button and the green power light comes on for about 2 seconds and then goes off. No picture, no sound, nothing. Any suggestions?

Hey Keith, See my posts on July 6 and 18, 2006. Sounds like you have a similar problem.

Username: Alohat

I have a 60" projection big screen Mitsubitshi TV built in I believe the 1998 (not sure of the model #). We live in Pa. and have a home in Florida. We noticed last summer when we spent some time at our home in Fla. that our big screen Mitsubitshi lost some color and seemed to shut off on it's own when used for several hours at a time. But when turned off for awhile, and then used again it worked fine. Just this past week we were down at the Fla. place again where our 60" Mitsubishi projection TV is, and used the it for a few days without any problems and then one night after an extended use the picture had a ripple effect from the top going to the bottom loosing color and then just shut off on it's own as it had done the previous year. This time it would not restart. I called a repair man specilaizing in big screen projection TV repair. I asked him up front if this set was worth repairing. He told me that these sets were made much better then todays DLP or plasma technology sets, and that it is well worth the repair because he will do it right, and it will give us years of service when he is done. When I described the condition over the phone he knew right away what the problem was and stated that the cost would be between $150.00 and $300.00 So we made a repair appiontment with this gentleman. He should up at our Florida home promptly and went right to work and not only did the repair but because I seemed interested told me what he was doing as well. He said that the three color lamps had leaked fluid that is used to cool these lamps onto one of the circuits below that contain a chip that controls the color and also damaged a capacitor. So he unsoldered the damaged parts and resoldered new components and also cleaned the boards as well as putting some kind of divertor or collector to stop the cooling fluid from hitting the circuit board/boards again. He cleaned the mirrors and lamps did some adjusting inside as well as from the remote in front and the set works as it did when new. The damages were a grand total of $285.00 We are thrilled that this gentleman was there and was so skilled and knowlegeable. That is the value of having a professional there when you need one. I did not want this to go un-noticed. So thanks for a job done right, on time and at the right price. We consider ourselves lucky to have had him there. Regards, Tom

Silver Member
Username: Tadon

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 133
I have a Mitsubishi model WD65371 when I turn on power and the green power light comes on for about 2 seconds and then goes off. No picture, no sound . With a message "No air flow" . Any help please .

Username: Thom2429

i have a 2001 mitsubishi ws-55513 and it seems like its a little different then some of the other posts. for the last few weeks we turn on the set and it works fine for about 20 minutes and then suddenly just goes black, with the green light staying on solid, not blinking. after a few minutes we can turn it back on and itll work fine for a while and then it starts over. any help please.

Username: Meaux

I have a 40 in Mitsubishi Tube TV and have a Green line down the middle.Is a vertical board or a part I need to replace. It was manufactured in 1995 Model cs-40503

Username: Christi

we have just acquired a 5 yr old mitsubishi '52 tv. however, when it is turned on it scrolls black&white lines repeatedly across the screen and wording appears double. yet the color seems to be working as well as the sound. i have heard that maybe some type of liquid has dripped onto a circuit board maybe. i believe this to be a minor problem. is it something that can be replaced personally without paying labor fees to an outside repairman. and what part would be needing replacement, the main board maybe? would anyone happen to know the cost of this, if it is the case? and is it worth it? thank you in advance for your time,
sincerely,
the biermans

Username: Asphalteacher

My 84 year old mother in law has a cs35301 tv. She started pushing buttons the other day and set the parental lock. I read the manual and can make it work with "QV and 9" but this isn't a solution for her.. Does anyone know how to either over ride the parental lock permenantly or to discover the lock code?

Username: Bumpersteve

My utility company had a secondary-neutral go bad in the feeder to my house and it spiked my Mitsubishi 50" '99 TV. I now have a concave looking picture. Is this just a filter that burned? We smelled smoke when it happened. What part can I order to replace and where is it in the TV?

Username: Feistyspicegrl

La Verne, CA USA

I have a Model VS55609 55" TV that I purchased around 2000. It is also a Mitsubishi. I have Pink and Green ribbons around the figures on half of the screen. Cable people came out and said that it is the TV. So now what? That guy said to junk the TV and get a new one. Now I am blonde, but not that blonde. What is wrong?, does anyone out there know?

Username: Michelle2910

I have a 60" manufactured in '95 tv. The picture doesn't move but the channels (numbers) move. What could be the problem.

Username: Krakhal

Deborah - if the pink and green ribbons look as if you are watching your TV with 3-D glasses, your convergence is probably off. Try using the customer menu convergence first to see if you can line up the grid. If not, you would need a professional to look at it. If it is the convergence IC's (most common problem for this), the repair at least in our area runs $350-$450 for in-home. Definitely go with someone that is authorized for Mitsubishi or at least with a good reputation.

Username: Nightowl

I have seen several posts here about the older sets turning on, then right back off.

I recently was FORCED TO PAY to have my vs 5047 repaired. Actually, it was repaired without my consent, and I was refused possession unless I paid the bill. 1996 VS-5047, rear projection, crt tubes. It had the same problem where when you turned it on, you heard the relay "click", then you imediately heard it "click" again, then it shut down. This was nothing more than an $88 power supply kit. It needs the parts soldered in, and I was charged $362 for that. If it turned on, then shut down after it got hot, that would be the "vertical circuit". I was told this by a reputable Tech I paid to take a gander after I got it home. Now sinse the power is back up to snuff, when it gets warm, then you turn it off, then back on, you see the picture with a green shadow effect going from the right of objects to the left until it is fully on. This problem is with the green tube being "gassy". A normal aging problem explained by the reputable one. I never noticed it until the set was "repaired extensively", but I looked a bit harder after it was returned (after having the Police come to the repair center).
A moral here. Make sure when the repair place says they are sending a "Service Tech", that he is indeed a Tech! When you find out after your set is loaded that he was "the delivery guy", it creates a "hostage situation" with your TV.
It seems fine now, other than waiting 30-90 seconds for the picture to come on (another tip....it is a common adjustment made to make it act this way, but has no effect on the life of the set). I was also told that it would be better to buy a new set than spend more money because of the "gassy" tube. That would take the combined repairs up to approx $800, and a new (soon to be discontinued) dlp 1080 set is $1300.
One last note: I have had 2 Mits in 25 years, and would stand by them. They both were used CONSTANTLY. I am unsure of the newer models, because they all have bugs. I usually wait a few years before jumping on that wagon.
Hope this post helps at least a few of you!

Username: Trey

Robin,

I have a WS55819 HD Medalian doing the same thing, but the 3D effect is less in the middle, and really bad on both sides. It's intermittant. If I tap the TV on the Mitsubishi logo, it will go away for a while. Do you think this is a loose or bad IC? Maybe a bad solder joint? I have some experience with TV repair, and have done a lot of soldering. Can I order the ICs and replace them myself?

Username: Gkeith99

Murfreesboro, TN Rutherford

I have a mitsubsishi model cs-35301 november 1993 TV. When I turn it on there is sound but a black screen with a white line running through the middle. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1801
­
Greg, you need to call a tech and tell them you have a case of vertical collapse. Hopefully they can still get parts. If not, it's time to move on. Hi-def is here!

Username: Parkerbama

This thread is a mess! Why do people step all over each other?
How about starting your own thread if it is not exactly the same or at least pertaining to the original post? Damn! Now I have a headache ...
"My car wont start?" Give me a freakin' break!

Username: Sheilasturgeon

Connersville, IN United States

I have a Mitsubishi VS50609. It worked perfectly until several months ago it just started shutting off by itself. There is no pattern to it, it may stay on 2 min or 2 hr and then shut off. It will not come back on right away, it may take several hours before it can be turned back on. Any suggestions. Thank You

Username: Littledog

I need service on a 60" TV Dose anyone know of a
good service person within 50 miles of pittsburgh PA????

Username: Sheilasturgeon

Connersville, IN United States

To followup on my previous post in reference to my Mitsubishi VS50609 keeps shutting off. Well, we bought a new TV with HD and we moved the Mitsubishi into another room to sit until we could get it fixed. Just for fun I plugged it in and guess what......it works like new. Its been on for several days now and not a single problem. Go figure!

Username: Sig33

I have a 50" rear projection Mitsubishi TV. I cannot receive stations, altho some channels come on & off at about 2 second intervals. Tuner seems to be the problem. Using the tuner from a VCR doesn't work either.
Any simple solutions?
Are there any repair men in the Plainfield New Jersey area that can help? Unit is too big to send to a shop.
Thanks

Username: Perkyhr

I have a Mitsubishi WS-55511 HDTV. It is plugged into a surge protector along with DVD player, etc. My dog went behind TV and hit switch and turned everything off. I flipped the switch back on and the green light on front of the TV started flashing and hasn't stopped and the TV will not turn on. I have tried the reset button with the end of pen, etc. I turned TV off for several hours, but still no response. Any suggestions?}}}

Bronze Member
Username: Imjross

NJ USA

Post Number: 17
Pam Chudomelka
Dog did not brake TV.
The DM module (computer) has failed.
Parts are required. (capacitors)
Some customers report that set will work intermittantly but don't count on it...
Green lit flashing is an error code...to the tech
Contact a MGA authorized servicer who is VERY familiar with this symptom.... $200-$350 jr

Username: Cal0677

I have a 62 dlp rear projector tv made by mistubishi and just had the lamp replace and now for some reason the tv shows like a strong blue and greenish color. i tried adjusting the control for the picture and it didnt do anything so i am sitting here watching people with blue skin and green skies. what can i do???

Username: Theboss

Ogallala, NE US

I have a 1996 Mits Cs-32307 Set that has a problem that began about 6 months ago and is getting worse. When the set is turn on, after a few seconds it will make a popping sound, with a disruption of the picture. This will happen for 2 0r 3 times, the after several minutes the TV will go off. I takes several minutes before I am able to turn the set on. Any suggestions????

Username: Okmd

Cookson, OK USA

Does anyone with a dead 40" Mits (CS 40503 or similar) still have the stand? I've had mine in an armoire for years and the stand was in the garage. Now I'd like to put it back on the stand, but the stand got water damaged and has warping on the bottom piece. I'd like to replace the stand.

Thanks, OKMD

Username: Davidrentssccoastnet

1991 vs-7004r it takes an hour to warm up and quit rolling what can i do? its a mitsubishi 72"

Username: Suresh_605

Hi I have a problem with a mitsubishi tv WD62725 the green light keep on flashing I change the 4 cap on power board and 4 cap on dm board and still have the same problem I reset it but that did not help. please help me repair man want $600 to fix it Thank YOU

Username: Nvagrits

I have black horizontal lines on my 55" Mitsubishi ts-5545. What can I do, or is it worth saving?

Username: Dubbyub

Someone just gave me a free Mitsubishi VS 430r. The screen seems kinda dark, and the color isn't very true. There were bad halos at first, but I pushed the test button and adjusted the color lines til they were almost one line...is that right? Anyway, it isn't a great picture, but it's big!

Does anyone know anything about these old things? I'm guessing it is a rear projection CRT. There are also some dark plastic disk like things in the back on a screw. They move around, and look like filters or covers for something. Anyone know what they are for? I can't find anything about this tv on the internet, and would like to know the year, type and possibilities for repair.

Thanks!

Username: Rfarris

I have a 1991 Mitsubishi tv I was given and I have no way of getting the 4 digit code so that I can watch the input devices such as dvd players and video games on the ext. ports. If anyone knows how I can reset these or how to trouble shoot to get the codes please let me know. Thank you

Username: Rmkavanaugh

Have a 60" Mitsubshi Projection TV, the picture will work for a few minutes then start to flicker then work again for a few minutes then flicker again, then we heard a pop and the screen then goes to black, but we still have sound. Any guesses why the tv is doing this. It is a 1993 model in a big wooden cabinet. The picture in the picture works though, perfectly.

Username: Henrya

I have a mitsubishi VS-5047 rear projection tv and I can't adjust the convergence. The crosshair is only in the middle. I think I need the original remote to move the crosshair. Is there a way to move the crosshair without the original remote?

Username: Cph1122

I have a mitsubishi WD-62725 rear projection tv, and the lamp light glows yellow, so, I changed the lamp, But the lights still yellow and the picture is kinda hazy... anyone know why?? Thanks

Username: Ronmil

I have a Mitsubishi TV model # CK2631R perhaps 20 years old. The picture's colors are washed out and a bit off - lots of yellow, little red/green, despite trying to adjust the set's video controls. Its sound, picture stability, and other things are OK. Any suggestions?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2534
­
"Any suggestions?"

Yes. Call 1-800-GOT-JUNK for help. Once that's out of the way, start shopping for a new TV. The economy needs your help.

Seriously, Mits doesn't make or stock parts for that TV anymore.

Username: Dremoney3000

I have a big screen tv model WS-55819 it won't keep the eletricity on. What I mean the little green button next to the power switch shows it's on for a few second and turn off by it self, so what shoul I do to fit the problem.

Username: Angmarti87

I have a Mits Big Screen. When you turn on the tv you can see what's on but it's with moving down vertical like a bad vhs tape. Do you need more info? or is this enough

Username: Shago

Not sure where my post went but here it is again.

I was given a mitsubishi vs-5062 with sound but no video. I can plug in anything from any input Ext 1, Ext 2, Front, S-Video, coaxial, etc, etc and get audio but a black screen for video. Ive read several posts from others stating leaky capacitors, to cold solder joints on boards, to bad PIP pcbs. Newbie to this product (TV'S), so any help would be appreciated before i take the back off to check for myself. Consider it was free i wouldnt mind putting a little money but if its too much, it will be a very large paper weight.

thanks for any help.

Username: Shago

update to previous posts:

Not sure if this helps, but my previous posts, i forgot to mention that i am able to access the menu, view it make changes, etc aok.

again thanks for any help.
shago

Username: Tjz

I have the HOURGLASS problem with a Mitsubishi WS-65869 model, 65" projection. Picture bows in the middle horizontally. In other words, it is compressed in the middle, but fine on the outside edges.

Where would one start on diagnosing this problem? Thanks for any and all help.

Username: Smoe42

I have a 55" 2001 Mitsubishi rear projection tv that turns on and runs great for about 20 to 30 mins at which time the colors distort and it has a 3D appearance to the picture with the red and blue colors mixing together. Anybody have any ideas as to why this is and how to fix it. Thanks.

Username: Ling

have a 55" mitsubishi tv. a few days ago, the audio went completely off. picture is great, but no sound. could you please tell me how i can have the audio fix. do you think i have to replace any kind of tube pertaining to the audio? or do i have to call a repairman to find what went wrong? thanks

Username: Madgreek

I was given a Mitsu tv model numer VS 4541 the tv has no picture but it has sound. the three bulbs inside the tv dont come one( the top of them) but it looks like they are coming on the bottom partion of the
bulbs. tried smaking the tv nothing happens. if anyone knows what i should try please let me know. thank you Peter

Username: Slimjim1252bellsouthnet

LAKE WORTH, FL 25

i have a mitsubishi wd-73c9 try to turn it on this morning the welcome screen came on and in a few seconds it turned off has anyone had this happened

Username: Jfee

I have a Mitsubish Projection TV VS-50703 and the picture has a blue tint all the time, any idea on what's wrong? Thanks

Free to a good home:
like new remote control for Mitsubishi TV model #CK2631R
TV died and carted off, but remote purchased new from Mitsubishi
(about$100) 3-4 years ago still ticking

Username: Genofilkins

if u r locked out due to losing remote and cant get past code 4 digit that is u can go buy a sony rm-v2320 remote, punch in code for that model it cost 19 bucks once u r on go to menu and exit from menu and presto!

Genofilkins- Thanks, but I do have a working remote. The Mitsu
model #CK2631R console TV is gone, though. I wondered if anyone could use the remote (free).

Username: Ajcarmody

What causes the green timer light at front of Mitsubishi Medallion HD1080 TV model no. WS65869 to flash continuously without the screen coming on?

Username: Troxyd

Have a Mitsubishi WD-60737, when turned on welcome screen comes on for 1-2 seconds and TV shuts off, red status light flashes.Have reset many times, will play sound when screen comes on TV shuts off.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2780
DLP, right?
The sequence / number of light flashes will help diagnose the problem. Look AT or look UP (online) the manual. It's kind of like morse code. but simple.

#1 problem with DLP will either be the lamp / color wheel or maybe dust in a fan.....That'll shut the lamp off. An interlocked cover that was improperly replaced after removal, for example, will also shut it off.

Since you get the 'welcome' screen the lamp is at least firing...but may not be staying ON due to a power supply issue. Balast boards for DLP are also failure prone. The wiring to the lamp also gets hot and will not conduct electricity properly after connections are oxidized.

Fleetwood, Pa USA

Thanks Leo, Downloaded manual, retreived code 37 - Engine (DMD) fan Failed - Loose J5 Connector. Will go after the connector first. Thanks again, will keep you posted.

Fleetwood, Pa USA

Update on WD-60737 video problem, cleaned DMD fan with small paint brush and vacumm cleaner, checked J5 connector, reassembled back and TV works fine. Thanks Leo for your help.

Username: Patricia_fuess

We have a 8 yr old 46" LCD Mitsubishi-which has been a fantastic tv! For about a week, when it's turned on in the am there are fuzzy horizontal lines over the whole screen and shorter solid bars down the left side of the screen lasting for about 8-10 minutes, Then it's fine the rest of the day. Is it time for a new TV?

Username: Jdreamer85

I have a VS5041. When I press input it only switches from Ant A and Ant B. I am trying to hook dvd player and cable box up but I can switch it the AV inputs. Also my Ant A and Ant B input do not show picture. Do I need to reset the tv. If so how? Please help.

Username: Georgieboy1981

I have a mitsubishi wd-73640 and none of my HDMI read. I replaced it with a another one supposedly new and HDMI 1 and 2 work but not 3 and now none of them will, they are greyed out. If it not main board what else could it be
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us