SDAT LEB-404 speakers

Anonymous

Hi,
Any idea about CAT SDAT LEB-404 Hi-Fi Floor Standing Speaker Pair? The parameters are very promising, only sensitivity is 80db. 3way, 4in. midrange, 2x6.5in. woofers, 20Hz - 20kHz (+/-3dB), even wood finish.But they are suspiciously cheap...
How about comparison with Athena F1 or F2?

Apu
Unregistered guest
I'm not sure if it was the same company, but there was an asian company at CES a couple years ago called SDAT that had extremely cheap speakers. Akin to the white van stuff.

Anonymous

They said that there is a German design. And the selling price on internet is $79-89 for pair. What is the catch?

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
SDAT and CAT are basically another white van scam company that produce terrible speakers( worth basically $100 per pair) and rip off the american public whenever they can by selling them for around 10 times that. They use drivere that are like what you would find in cheap OEM car stereos

just this guy
Unregistered guest
SDAT CAT LEB-404:
I just received mine today, overstock.com, btw.
If you are not a nose up in the air audiophile
and you dont mind thin veneer,(i got the woodgrain model), you will love these speakers at the price. They look nice and they sound great.
I am pushing them with my Sony receiver (100wX2).
The only real con I have found (ive been listenting to them for 4 hours now) is the fabric covers are mounted on a plastic frame which tends to rattle against the enclosure, which i will fix with some small pieces of foam. nuff said

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
honestly, I don't have my "nose in the air" as you call it, I think that they are garbage, as I do know good sound from bad.

The fact that they suffer from poor cabinet build quality severely colors the sound. Not only that, but the drivers themselves are of poor quality.

Take a look at HTD and Fluance if you MUST have inexpensive speakers. HTD sound better than SDAT, and are not that expensive. I havent had that much experience with Fluance, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

other brands that I reccomend are:

aperion audio, paradigm, axiom, and ascend acoustics.

ALL these speakers of course sound different, and all are great for the price. Take a look around. You will be surprised by what you see. You can get truly great sound for a song!

Gavin

just this guy
Unregistered guest
my opinion, which by the way is actual first hand knowledge of the speaker the person who started the thread was asking about, was meant for that person. nobody said YOU had your nose in the air.
but since you must...quote.."worth basically $100
per pair". sounds like a deal to me at $79.
in the future please realize that all posts on the internet are not directed at you.(except this one)
nuff said

Anonymous

i also ordered the sdat cat leb-404 speakers, they should be here in two days. any opinions?
i'm on a budget.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
I just hope that they will have free or reduced shipping, but should from overstock, otherwise the shipping may be expensive.

I may have my nose in the air, but I am friends with quite a few of the music majors as well as most of music professors at my school. I go to classical concerts all the time, so I know what good sound is, and you CAN get it inexpensively.

look at streem speakers, fluance, and HTD. These are as low end as I will go. Although I wouldn't personally buy them (more than satisfied with my magnepan MMG's) I would reccomend them for an inexpensive system to someone just starting out.

my ultimate suggestion would be to go to Best Buy and listen to a pair of athenas. They are my favorite speakers in the store, and the only ones I would ever buy if I had to. The bookshelves are not that pricey and sound great.

btw... I posted the nose in the air phrase because it was in direct response to your comment.

gavin

Anonymous

the shipping charge for the sdat speakers is $2.95
from overstock.com

Stealth C
Unregistered guest
My personal choice for budget speakers is Cambridge Soundworks, but I would be interested to hear how those sound. Always on the hunt for a bargain and all that.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
honestly, I like CS as well. Especially the newton series.

The newtons are a real find in the overpriced world of audio components.

I have the new Cambridge Soundworks 730 radio, and it is awesome. While it can't replace a good component system, the sound is clean, clear, and has great seperation. The bass response is also outstanding.

mr. booger head
Unregistered guest
poopie poopie butt butt

Username: Houpa

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Post Number: 1
My name is Kenny from SDAT GROUP, I acutully build the LEB-404 speaker. I desighed it with 3 Germany Egineer in German back in 1998. We have sold over
300000 pairs in Europe. And we having a great succsess in US market as well. SDAT DO NOT SELL TO WHITE VAN GUYS. please don't Start threats. please don't say bad things untill you heard them.
Contact me if you have any questions!

kenny@sdatgroup.com

royphil345
Unregistered guest
If you need a pair of speakers, don't want to buy a sub, and only have $82.00... I don't see how you could go too wrong here as long as you're not expecting the world in sound quality.

As far as the Athenas go, I can't figure out why so many people seem to like them. You hear some detail only because there are no mids at all. Though, the tweeter seems to lack the qualities needed to really bring music to life. Have you ever seen a speaker get a bad review? Wish more people would just listen. If they were so good, why did they have to cut the price in half to get rid of them?

hifiguy
Unregistered guest
hey kenny li,

how do we know you really work for sdat? ijust got a pair of speakers they sound good. why so cheap? why a woofer on the side?

Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 5
lol... I hate to tell you, but athenas present the mids as they were recorded, and don't blow them out of preportion like so many mass market speakers (Bose for example). Athenas are truly one of the best buys in the speaker business today.

Athena and Paradigm are my top budget choices. The reason why they have to cut the prices is to compete with Bose. Which, IMHO is no competition at all.

royphil345
Unregistered guest
Yes, Athenas present the mids as they were recorded. They would certainly be my 1st choice as a reference speaker... If I was deaf... lol

Post Number: 6
lmao...

if you were deaf? Come on! I know they arent as good as my Magnepan MMG's (now THEY are good speakers), but athenas do not have any major distortions in the soundfields. Many a music major friend of mine owns a pair of either athenas or paradigms until they can "graduate" to maggies.

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Post Number: 2
hifiguy:
if you go to the website www.sdatgroup.com
click contact us, you would see my email there.
kenny@sdatgroup.com the price is cheep is because we have build a lot of them, we just want use them to open up the US market. so i really got upset about someone saying us are the WHITE VAN GUY.
We SEALED the rear port, that's why we put one more driver on the side.

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Post Number: 3
There is something that you american ppl should understand. that 70% of the Electronics or anyother stuff are build in CHINA., including the best name brands such as Boss Sony JL audio CS JBL Harman Karton. every one of them are build in CHINA. in car audo is 95%. and i am telling you SDAT is one of the best OEM factory in CHINA.
WE BUILD GOOD SPEAKERS, NOT WHITE VAN SPEAKRS.

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 35
Gavin, are you married because I would find Maggies a really really tough sell to my wife (part of why CSW is my choice).

Post Number: 9
no I am not. I am a college student that lives at home when not at school.

My mother however does not mind the maggies because they fold back when not in use (MMG-W) I am soon to upgrade to the MG MC1 when maggie releases it in a true ribbon format. There is a rumor flying around that they will do so, and magnepan hasnt denied it.

I also have Paradigm micros in my living room. They have a nice full sound for the price, but sadly I don't think they are being made anymore.

I don't think my mother would approve of me getting married at only 21 and withdrawing out of college, although I have a wonderful gf.

Talk to your wife about the MMG-W and let her know that they fold flush against the wall when they are not in use. My mother was appalled when I bought them, but calmed down when they folded neatly to the wall,. On stands in the maggie forum tweakers section, like I have them, there will not be any holes in the walls.

Just keep in mind that the MMG-W DO have to be near a wall to perform their best. It is part of their design.

Gavin

royphil345
Unregistered guest
How can a guy who likes MMGs like the Athenas. The MMGs have nice, smooth, flat mids/highs.And MUSICAL, I just don't hear musical in the Athenas. Pretty nice bass response I'll admit. MMGs don't cost that much more.

anyhow...

I think this Kenny Li is actually for real. Nicely done web site. English wording needs a little work. Couldn't tell from the bad photo at Overstock.com that these actually have silk soft-dome tweeters. I'm betting they sound pretty good for cheapies. If I had any need or room for them at all, I'd have to buy a pair and check them out.

KENNY LI... I'll help you polish up the English on your web site if you send me a free pair of speakers!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I am not a huge fan of box speakers in particular. but I'll take my maggies over any box speaker in their price and then some.

They have their quirks though. What planar speaker doesnt?

Unregistered guest
GAVIN lol!!!! You still live with your mom?
No wonder you are so stuck up. Get a life! Oh, for all you wondering how much his MMG's cost: $500.00 plus. We are not talking about a pair either. Oh and what happens if the ribbon tears. Well, there goes another $1,000.00 plus.
I think I will stick with the cabinet speakers, thank you.
By the way, I own LEB-404s! Also, I produce, mix, overdub, clarify and consistanly work on projects that use over 50 tracks to produce one song. On top of this you have to keep in mind of the studio production mix, the receiver from which you are listening to these productions, the cables used for your speakers, the room in which you are listening to them, the equalized space between the frequencies used between the lows, midrange and highs, the materials used for the woofer, midrange and tweeter, the circuitry used in the crossovers, the wattage used to deliver power to each speaker, the type of materials used for the cabinet and enclosure, etc. Tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I DARE YOU!
Have you personally listened to the LEB-404s?

Here is my personal review on the LEB-404:

CAT SDAT LEB-404 HI FI speakers bring out the natural acoustics of instruments, especially the percussion in detail and clarity (that is hard to come by). The lows are warm with a good balance on up to the lower mids. The midrange evenly reproduces the instruments and vocals without feedback (air like sound found in the background). The highs are clean and clear without an overpowering ear piercing frequency that leaves your ears ringing. These speakers are great for home theatre! They give you an option to not have an overpowering sub that is usually not properly setup by the average person. The sounds are clean and crisp. They handle 440W each which is more than enough stability for most systems. I have personally compaired these speakers between, Athena, Bose, JBL, SONY, Boston Acoustics and Yamaha speakers.

Over all these are great speakers and I recommend them to those who are looking for decent speakers.

Don't waste your time on Athenas. Talk about cheap materials. I would be affraid that my finger would go through the cone if I pressed on it. Also there is a noticable feedback, along with Bose, and Yamaha speakers.

If you want decent speakers that won't make you bankrupt and are reliable, I recommend, JBL, CAT/SDAT, Paradigm and Polk audio.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
actually... I live with my mother because I am AN UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE STUDENT!!!!!!

my MMG's will blow your SDAT out of the water and all over the land in terms of realism and overall sound quality. They are lightning quick in terms of transient response, with no boom in the bass. You can listen for HOURS with no fatigue.

Do you even know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to tear the "ribbon" in the MMG because it ISNT a ribbon? it is a QUASI-RIBBON which has mylar streached over wires that carry the current. As a result, the structural integrity is OUTSTANDING.

My next purchase will be either the MC-1 (750) or the MG12 (1300)

I am driving them elecrtonics from Rotel.

Ask ANOYONE that has heard REAL high end speakers like Thiel, Wilson Audio, MartinLogan, Vienna Acoustics, Revel, Avalon, etc. etc. etc.

the best way to get great performance at a LOW price is magnepan MMG's for the low price of only $550 a pair

no, the MMG's DON'T cost $500 each. They cost $550 a PAIR. GET YOUR STORIES CORRECT.

you DON'T know what you are talking about. End of story.

gavin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
addition to my comment above:

I prefer to hear my music... not the harmonics of the speaker enclosure. These things look like they are so poorly damped, I can almost guarentee I would be able to hear it in an instant.

Give them a rap test on the side with your knuckles down by the woofer and you will hear what I mean. They will sound hollow, but you wont admit it. All that hollowness is doing is adding coloration to your music.

I am not a fan of cheap tower speakers as a general rule of thumb for this reason. As soon as the bass gets going, it makes the enclosures resonate. This adds all kinds of garbage to the midrange. My ideal type of box speaker is a stand mount with a subwoofer until the price range clears the $2000 mark and sometimes even beyond.

The paradigm Signature S2 monitor is a great example. It is right at the $2000 mark, and safely is one of the best speakers I have EVER heard, reguardless of price.

Granted, a lot of the extra cost goes into the cabinet. However, this will buy you a much more rigid, much better damped cabinet than at a lower price level. And it should.

What you will get is more cross bracing, better designed vents for the woofers if it is a ported enclosure such as a transmission line, seperate enclosures for the midranges, and more acoustically transparent filling material. This will ALWAYS include STUNNING finish work on the outside of the cabinet. The price range that I am talking about it upwards of 1 grand for private companies that you find in botique dealers.

It isnt just a more expensive speaker that you are buying. There is a LOT more than just a nice finish on the outside. This is the reason why I don't like inexpensive towers for the most part. They are almost always poorly engineered.

I have YET to come across one that I like except the Paradigm Esprit.

gavin

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Gavin:
what do you know about speaker engineered???
SDAT has been building for speaker for over 30 years
so I don;t think our speaker is poorly Engineerd.
We are a company that build speakers, we would love to have THE ONES WHO HAVEN'T LISTEND OUR SPEAKER to review our speaker. not some collage kid who live with his mom.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 74
Kenny Li- How would you compare your products with that of comparably priced speakers like Fluance? What sets your product apart from other speakers in the price range? Also it would seem that the vast majority of your hi-fi speakers frequency response measure from 20Hz-20KHz, some even noted with a +/- 3dB. Given that many high end speakers costing thousands of dollars are unable to accomplish this feat, how do you do it?

Unregistered guest
OK Gavin, Just like I said, Get a Life!
Go out and get a job, pay your own bills, pay your own rent, food ,clothes, car payments, gas, water bill, etc. Then lets see about your fancy shmancy talk about how you will only buy the highest end speakers! A lot of people have "RESPONSIBILITIES" that take up a lot of their time and money!

Talking about resonance, distortion, feedback,etc.
These companies build super audiophile speakers and charge a lot of money because they know that ignorant people like yourself will buy them all because you do not understand how frequency and response work! ON top of that I bet you would not even take the time or day to clean up frequencies and bring out the true sound production of instruments. Therefore you have little respect to good sound! What do you think PA systems use? Not PLANAR! Because PLANAR speakers obviously cannot reproduce the true sound of a gurthy instrument! All speakers have coloration to their sound to block their components and cabinetry! It all depends on how it is done to make it a good build. Also I am sure that you really do not really pay that much attention to the detail in the music, such as a ping, kick pedal, clasp of a cymbal, pick rubbing against a string, fingers touching a fret, etc. Need I say more! I have read reviews from actual musicians such as (Chris Cornell). They hate PLANAR because they hide the natural feel of the song! Musicians choose cabinets over fancy planar speakers. Period! Did you even read everything I said? If you use a crappy reciever or equipment, the highest of speakers will sound like garbage! Again, like I said, your quasi-ribbon is still a ribbon! HMM You said it is not a ribbon yet it says "RIBBON". Get your words straight! You said it it is unbreakable. hahaha! How about water or even a surge from a fault in the receiver! Anything is breakable! At least with cabinet speakers you can replace individual components! Not the entire freakin' thing! Also, the MMG's I looked at were $500.00 a piece! Learn about marketing and retail before you blab your mouth off! It all depends on where you purchase these speakers and what model. Oh yeah. A lot of people don't have $500.00 to spend on speakers because of their RESPONSIBILITIES! Check this out. A lot of high end speakers are only style, NOT quality! I have seen some of the best speakers get blown out because they were too sensitive to the frequncies! I have also seen a lot of these componants sold at dirt cheap prices. A lot of these $2,000.00 speakers only cost the builder about $275.00 for one speaker! That is high ending the price. A lot of them have good contracts with suppliers so the cost is sometimes even as low as $275.00 a pair! Like I said, Learn about retail and marketing before you blab your mouth!
The higher you go, the more sensitive they get! A lot of rich people don't blast there speakers so they don't experience these problems! On top of this it has a lot to do with how a speaker (not cabinet) and it's components are made.
Now why don't you stop blabbing and using excuses about how you are friends with professors and get some of your own experience! Do you know how much distortion there is in a music hall, auditorium, arena, etc. There is so much freakin' distortion and feedback that sometimes you can't understand what is going on no matter how good the equipment is. If the "sound engineer" sucks, so will the music. If everything had to do with the speaker then sound engineers and recording studio engineers would be out on the street! Again! You Never answered my question! Have you personally listened to the LEB 404s?! Simple Answer. Yes, or NO.

It is best if you give up Gavin because I will research anything you throw at me! I am a person who never gives up and who will go to great lengths to prove my point! I personally got invovled in this sight specifically because of your childish badmouthing of hard working people who do extensive research and love speaker building! Why do they build speakers at a cheap price. Because they have a really good law firm, marketing team and supplier. Their componants are also cheaper because they use non name brand materials that are just as good, if not better than your fancy name brands. A lot of famous brands use generic materials so they can market to the public as a whole by selling more affordable speakers. Don't beleive me? Research and see for yourself! I don't like people talking out of their rear just to be heard! I like facts! Plain and simple! Just like a court!

Unregistered guest
Hey Gavin, Have you really stress tested your speakers by frequency. Most speakers burn out at their maximum alloted frequencies. Such as, for example, 40hz-16khz. Have you tried pushing it to 30hz-20khz at 3/4 full volume for approx one week, straight 3-6 hours a day using 90w per channel. After doing so tell me how well your speakers work. A lot of componants will fry or be near fried. Speaker quality has to do with the care and intentions put behind each and every componant placed in the setup. Not fancy eye catching marketing scam garbage! In case you were wondering I had already stress tested my LEB 404s. They can take the abuse! They are not in any way garbage!
I used two combined 10 band stereo equalizers (61hz-16khz)to do the stress test. So multiply the frequencies by 2! On my test I did (20hz-28khz) at 3/4 full volume using 100w per channel. I am still not experiencing any proplems!

Most speakers I have done this stress test on have caused the tweeters to burn up and melt and the woofers to improperly fire at an angle. The mids would also have a crackling sound. This is only after 4hrs of testing by the way.

Speakers brands I have tested in the past:
Sony, JBL, KLH, Yamaha, Technics, Pioneer, Bose, Philips Magnovax, Fischer.

Geuss which ones failed..........

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
actually... I can tell the difference in Timbre.

I can tell the difference between a Steinway and a Yamaha grand. A steinway has a distinctive metallic ring in the upper registers.

I can also tell the difference between saxophone REEDS and MOUTHPIECES!

Candy Dulfer on her earlier recordings used a Selmer mouthpiec, then switched to a Saxwoks, giving her sound a more edgy quality. She used to use LaVoz reeds, then switched to some type of Rico reed. This gave her a much more full sound

DON'T TELL ME I DON'T LISTEN FOR DETAILS.

no matter what you tell me... I will always have MartinLogan and Magnepan in the home. nothing beats a good planar speaker for overall realism of sound

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
YOU MISSED MY POINT!!!!!!!

my point was that MOST inexpensive speakers are poorly engineered. Just because I buy high end speakers does not mean that EVERYONE does and I understand that. I was using high end speakers as a cabinet building model. I understand how cabinets are built somewhat.

I thought you would get what I meant.

I just can NOT see how they can be built so absolutly inexpensively and still sound decently. I guess I will just buy myself a pair and see for myself. And I will post my HONEST opinion of them.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 162
mike i think you are actually wrong about MMGs. there is no way you could have audtioned them. they are factory direct speakers and are on display at no stores. if you even bothered to check the website for magnepan you will see that the MMGs are $550 per pair not including any shipping or applicable taxes or accessories. a quasi ribbon is very different from a true ribbon. i wonder if you know the difference. regardless of who likes planar speakers, planars have no box therefore have no coloration. if you have the time and space to build your own speakers, well good for you. most other people don't have that kind of time or that extensive interest in audio to try and build our own speakers although it would be pretty fun. yes many times "famous" companies as you put it use cheap generic parts and charge a bunch for them for example bose. i find it interesting that in your list of tested companies, only jbl would be considered half decent speakers. its like comparing a bunch of minivans and sedan to see if they can beat a F1 car around a track. have you ever tested B&W? how about KEF? what about Klipsch? those are companies that people would consider half decent or even "famous", not bose, pioneer or any of the other crap you put in your list. don't be angry because someone else has the money to blow on high end equipment at an age you were still scratching ur @ss. no offense, but its hard to tell who needs a life after you last post.

Unregistered guest
HMMMMMM. Christopher Lee.... By the way. I have no problem with Klipsch. As a matter of fact I like Klipsch. The reason why I put JBL is because they are descent speakers at a very low cost.
I never said that any of the speakers I listed were the best. The other speakers that I tested were done out of a theory that I had about durability. That is why there are some really crappy brands listed. I never said anything about those speakers other than I tested them. Another thing, you can't go around to stores with two equalizers in hand blowing up their speakers. lol It would be nice though. It would solve a lot of problems on what is good or not good.
On top of this I am trying to make a point to Gavin. I have done these tests over a long period of time. Not all in 1 month or even a year.
Just to let you know. I do have a life, I run my own Ebay store, build models, hang out with my friends, go out to see local bands, work on music projects, work full time, have a fiance, etc. I have gained all this experience with sound though out many years of experimenting, listening and learning everything I can. I don't just sit at home in front of speakers everyday and do nothing!
So be careful of what you say.
I also don't doubt that MMG's are fine speakers. Again, I was trying to prove a point with Gavin.
You even agreed with a lot of what I was saying. Therefore there is some truth to my words. Again
I do not talk out of my rear. I like facts.

Username: Jcbatlga

Atlanta, GA USA

man, people can really go off over a set of speakers.

I am listening to lots of speakers. I want some for my home theater, not a music expert. So far, for me I like the Klipsch RF-35s, RC-35, RS-35s, and the RW-12 which I believe I can purchase locally for approx. $2300. That's quite a chunk of change for me, but I have been saving for two years already for speakers. I think I'll have the money in about 5-6 months. Maybe I'll have decided for sure by then.

Oh, hope nobody gets mad, I don't think I am insulting anyone or claiming to be an expert, cause I'm NOT!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
I also like klipsch, paradigm, polk, etc. I have owned klipsch reference and currently own paradigm in the living room (mom likes smallish speakers) along with the magnepans in the music room. They are one of the only box speakers at a decent price that gives a nice full sound.And no, not the expensive ones either.

I don't have a problem with these speakers companies. I DO however have a problem with speaker companies such as bose that sell inferior speakers at TERRIBLE prices and take advantage of the un-educated consumer making them think they are buying a world class product when they, in fact, are not.

Unregistered guest
Jack Booker:

lol!!!! Don't worry about it. I geuss that I was somewhat wrong about Gavin about music. I have found he loves music just as much as I do. I respect that. It was just a debate. It is good to challange others and to be challenged. It teaches you alot about peoples personalities and helps open people up to different things.
One thing is that, if you notice, We all like Klipsch. lol!!!

Unregistered guest
Gavin:
I agree about Bose. They are a perfect example on what I was talking about in the above messages.
I also do appologize about you being a discrace to the music world. Your response showed me that you are alot like me when it comes to music. I like that. I also respect that.
I also respect that you are going to go out and compare the differences between cabinet and planar speakers.
I will also do the same and give my honest opinion between the two.
Well, it looks as if we have finally come to an understanding. At least about each other anyway. lol
Over all, what speakers to use are of a personal taste. Everybody has a different opinion of how sound is properly reproduced. Therefore, if you think about it, sound reproduction is run off of theory.

Unregistered guest
Gavin:
I agree about Bose. They are a perfect example on what I was talking about in the above messages.
I also do appologize about you being a discrace to the music world. Your response showed me that you are alot like me when it comes to music. I like that. I also respect that.
I also respect that you are going to go out and compare the differences between cabinet and planar speakers.
I will also do the same and give my honest opinion between the two.
Well, it looks as if we have finally come to an understanding. At least about each other anyway. lol
Over all, what speakers to use are of a personal taste. Everybody has a different opinion of how sound is properly reproduced. Therefore, if you think about it, sound reproduction is run off of theory.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
LOL!!!!!

apology accepted. I am still trying to figure out where it says the MMG are $500 a piece though! do you not live in the US?

Here in the US they are $550 a pair. The MG12 on the other hand are roughly $500 a piece.

*confused*

Maligo
Unregistered guest
OK, I read all this stuff everyone wrote so I think I'm buying these sdat speakers. What do you suggest about amplifier to use for them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
what is your price range?

Unregistered guest
Gavin:
It must have been the MG12s.

Unregistered guest
Gavin:

Unregistered guest
Gavin:

Unregistered guest
Sorry about the multiple messages. There seems to be a glitch when I go to post the message.

Atlanta, GA USA

RE: Bose - I fell for the Advertising / Sales Pitch on those agout 12 years ago. And as a result I am still stuck with them.

Besides not getting ones moneys worth, they don't have much bass even with two subwoolfers. The setup I am still having use is a combination of AM7s front and AM3s back, however many years ago they didn't have home theater speaker packages really. So, there are two passive subwoolfers. Later I added an inexpensive KLH 12" sub to the system to make it at all workable. Also, I replaced the AM7 center cube speaker with the VCS10 center and wired that straight to the center channel output then I could actually hear the dialog relatively clearly.

Hopefully, I won't be making a mistake like that this time.

I would be tempted to try these CAT SDAT LEB-404 or even the 880s for listening to music in my living room. But, I hate to divert my saving to that, went I think I should hold out for the Klipsch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
klipsch and Paradigm in particular are good speakersfor the price.

Anonymous

And energy

Anonymous

this place sells my to favorite home audio speakers check em out http://www.wurlitzerstereo.com/home_theater_stereo.htm

Anonymous

Received the SDAT 404s today. Great bargain on UBID. Listening to them for the past 4 hours...so far so good. Very crisp midrange, tight bass. Cabinets and build quality seem unbelievable for the price...great looking.

I'm not an audiophile, but have owned many systems..my first being the original AR4's in the late 60's. These are great for the money, less than $90 delivered. Going to give to my daughter for her apartment, but would not mind keeping them if I had room.

Overall a fantastic bargain.

Atlanta, GA USA

I sent an e-mail to kenny@sdatgroup.com to ask about the 404s and the 880s, but no response? maybe he's on vacation?

Rowland Hts, CA USA

I am not on vacation, I never gets one lol, sorry i missed you email , i looked over again, can't seem to find them, would you mind to send it to me again. i would love to help you.

Username: Scrotch

All you people are sooooooo humorous!!!! My sdat-404's just arrived today. I'm waitin' for a receiver so I can hear what they sound like! Delivered for about $87.00 pair - U.S., who cares? If they sound good - yippieeee! If they don't, Schucks, Darn, Dagnabitt!!! They could always make a great casket for a medium sized dog or very large cat. Have a great day people, and "I'll be back." Scrotch

Unregistered guest
My gosh! I just purchased the 404. It will replave a 27yr old cabinet with 2 rebults from Parts-Express. the price scared me a bit about its quality. I was REALLY surprised when the e-bay quoted $15.oo for shipping and then, I had to pay an additional $45.00 for shipping because it comes from CA!!!
I hope it will ot be disappointed. Else, I'll give it to Chrurch and I will really purchase what I really dream of... the Vienna Mozart...
Don't tell my wife!

SDAT SB-e880
Unregistered guest
Does anyone here know anything about the SDAT SB-e880's?

HZ
Unregistered guest
I am looking to build a new system and am torn between extremes. Crazy cheap speakers that look cool SDAT 880's ect or real no BS definitive technologies that would be more of an investment (like 10x more.
My old rig was a pioneer vsx504s (as I recall, my mother lost it when I went off to the navy) w/ 4way 15" klh fronts, and low key klh center and surrounds and a Cerwin Vega 15" sub that cost allmost as much as the fronts and reciever and really did not do much in my mind to redeem itself. Advize me but for goodness sake spare me the flourinze(sic) shiet.

Username: Banyanleaf

I wonder if you guys can give some recommendations on what amplifier/receiver to go with 404.

Username: Stur

Midland, Texas USA

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=265110#POST265110

I have SDAT 880s. will be happy to answer any Qs you may have.

Username: Blasterman

Sure, tell me about them. Recently auditioned some Athena FS-2's, and loved them. However, the SDAT 880's look impressive and might be more detailed. Obviously the SDAT line are 'clones' of more mainstream 'high-end speakers', but the nearest thing I can find that's closest to the configuration of the 880's that I've actually heard are the Legacy Whispers at about 13K a pair. Obviously the 880's aren't going to match the whispers, but if they use decent drivers/crossovers, I could care less how they look. Any comments/critiques on the 880's very much appreciated.

Side bar: Definitive Tech and Cerwin Vega are the worst sounding speakers I've ever heard, and definitive tech in particular has gone downhill ever since their much superior BP-10's and 20's. The Athena FS-2's were cleaner, have more neutral response, and more detail than either.

RE: Magnepan

The MMG's mentioned above are amazing speakers, and prior to my decision to move I was going to get a pair of Maggie 1.6's after hearing them in an audio showroom and being stunned. The problem is I'm tired of 'head in a vise' speakers, and maggies require you to sit in one spot to appreciate them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
if you don't like the head in a vice feeling, try the MartinLogan Montage or Mosaic. They will give you the planar tranceparancy of the magnepans, because they have planar drivers, but are a little less fussy about the sweet spot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
if you don't like the head in a vice feeling, try the MartinLogan Montage or Mosaic. They will give you the planar holography of the magnepans, because they have planar drivers, but are a little less fussy about the sweet spot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
sorry for double post... for some reason I like doing that

No problem :-)

Never cared for ML's full electrostatics. They seem to significantly lack the nuts of the big maggies, but, I'm probably not the only one who's said that.

The hybrid ML's sound interesting though.

I'm still curious about those 880's though.

Gergo
Unregistered guest
I just got the 880's as well. They just came in today. I must admit that I was a little hesitant about getting them because of the cheap price (great deals are usually too good to be true), but they look great for the price. I have read several glowing reviews for this company's stuff, and that is why I got them. I just can't wait until my Yahama reciever comes in to try them out. One thing though, is that I saw them listed on several different web sites with slightly different descriptions. The sensitivity is 90db and I saw it listed as 87db on a lot of sites. Also, the ohm rating is 6 ohms (not 8 ohms, or 4-8ohms...whatever that means). This puts me in a little bit of a dilemma, because the Yahama that I have coming in is rated at 8 ohms, but features "low ohm drive capability". What is this? I hope that this means that having a pair hooked-up to my front channel is not going to mess up the amp. I have heard that Yahama amps are pretty tough. Does anyone have an opinion about this? What if I hooked up two pairs on the front channel and just didn't blast it for long periods of time?

And, Stu-R, tell me more about your experience with these. I am dying to know. How do you think they sound? What kind of music are you using them for? And how did you hook up the 4 post in the back?

Atlanta, GA USA

The manual for my receiver states "continuous average power output of 120 watts per channel, min., at 6 ohms, from 20Hz to 20,000 Hz", look at your manual it should say something like that. Also, in the section of my manual about connecting the speakers it states, "Please use speakers with a nominal impedance rated at 6 ohms to 16 ohms". (They actual use the symbol for ohms, not the word spelled out.)

Also, usually on the back where you connect the speakers it has a note about using A, B, A+B speakers connected and how many ohms for each. So, I'd say read the manual.

You might be able to adjust the impedance with a resistor if the receiver is not capable of driving that low, I think, better let an expert answer that one though.

Midland, Texas USA

http://forum.ecoustics.
Gergo:
I posted a review with most of my comments on the following link.

com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=265110#POST265110

I've had mine since early December. I still love them. As for an amplifier, I use a Pioneer 1014-tx for my main AV electronics. But I bi-amp (not bi-wire) the 880s with a Yamaha 5760 driving the low frequency (lower two terminals) section of the crossover. If you do this, be sure to remove the shorting straps between the terminals. The 1014-tx has a setting for 8 or 6 ohms. The Yamaha has more power output at 4 and again at even two ohms. I think it will produce about 160 watts at two ohms. I've not had any problems with the 1014-tx at either setting with the 880s. I did some quick checks when I first got them and mistakenly concluded that the bi-amp terminals were fake. But I tested them very carefully a day or two ago and found that the bi-amp option is legitimate and I'm running them that way now.

Hope this helps.

Stu-R, you keep posting links to this thread. S'up?

Midland, Texas USA

Gergo and all:

Sorry to post the wrong link ... again!!!

Here's the right one. I hope it takes this time.

http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Speaker/SDAT+Group/PRD_331166_1594crx.aspx

Post Number: 4
Yep, read that long ago :-) It's that review that raised my interest about the 880's in the first place because you sounded like you knew good sound from bad. I respect that.

My questions about the 880 are simple, and fair for even a $300 speaker:

Do the 880's match in terms of a pair? Sometimes cheap speakers don't have matched drivers and sound imbalanced.

Are they bright sounding? Laid back? Or just pleasantly neutral?

The 880's are BIG speakers, but do they sound big? I like speakers with a lot of presence, but they must have clean bass and exellent imaging.

When you hear various instruments of different character played on a song, do the 880's split them up so they sound distinct? This effect is called sonic masking, and I've seen (heard) $2000 speakers have a problem with it because of poorly designed crossovers. When a 3-way doesn't have a problem with sonic masking, it's means it was designed right.

Are they easy to listen to (not fatiguing), and do they favor a particular type of music? I'll be pushing them a B&K ST3030 amp and pre-amp, and power is not a problem.

Gergo
Unregistered guest
Thanks Jack and Stu-R for the info. It was your review that I saw a couple of weeks ago, Stu that finally did it for me and I decided to try these out. I saw a couple of other reviews that were very flattering of the 880's, but I could tell that you really know what's up with audio equipment.

One other thing I was wondering about is what all of you think about Monster speaker cable. It is kind of expensive. Is it really worth it? I have heard everything from "absolutely", to Monster is overpriced hype and that any copper cable that is 12 gauge or bigger will be just fine. I must admit that I kind of find it hard to believe that the direction the wire is weaved is going to make a huge difference in sound. If it does wind up to be hype, then don't you think that the deluxe 12-gauge copper speaker wire from Radio Shack would be just as good?

Actually any stranded copper cable that's over 12gauge will work.

I'm and admitted 'cable atheist' when it comes to such matters. If you were to compare side by side speaker cables of very radical geometries, such as a solid strand of stiff copper vs 10gauge finely branded/stranded, you'd maybe hear a difference with highly corrected time phase coherent speakers. I've done this test with a pair of Thiels, and could hear a slight phase difference between solid copper core and braided 10gauge generic. Subtle, but it was there.

Otherwise Moster, Home Depot speaker cable...doesn't make much difference to me as long as the contruction is good and it's finely stranded.

I believe the 'directional flow' you are referring to has something to do with frequency attenuation / grounding vs any polarity of the electrical signal (snakeoil). I'm more worried about quality of termination and keeping cable lengths down myself.

Midland, Texas USA

Post Number: 4
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=274513#POST274513

Sam: sorry for the delay in responding. Here's a point-by point reply to your questions.

Q: Do the 880's match in terms of a pair? Sometimes cheap speakers don't have matched drivers and sound imbalanced.

A: They sound matched to me. Stereo instruments do not wander as they play different notes. The imaging seems stable.

Q: Are they bright sounding? Laid back? Or just pleasantly neutral?

A: Very neutral. But very detailed.

Q: The 880's are BIG speakers, but do they sound big? I like speakers with a lot of presence, but they must have clean bass and exellent imaging.

A: They sound big on guitar. Other music and vocals seem to be about the right size. I had a pair of Altec A-7s. The detail was great. But Julie Andrews' mouth was as big as the entire space between the speakers (which is why I got rid of them). The 880s are a lot more in proportion. Presence is ot in your lap. But you can hear the space between strings and the box on most/all string instruments. Also stage space in opera. I also have some flamenco where the space and depth are clearly there. On full orchestra, the bass section is proportionally to the rear and you can hear distinct instruments back there. Not a dull drone that sounds like the bass instruments are not all together/there (which is a problem for me on even really expensive speakes). The Aerials do a great job of resolving this (as well they might at 27Gs a set).

Q: When you hear various instruments of different character played on a song, do the 880's split them up so they sound distinct? This effect is called sonic masking, and I've seen (heard) $2000 speakers have a problem with it because of poorly designed crossovers. When a 3-way doesn't have a problem with sonic masking, it's means it was designed right.

A: They resolve up to what I would consider the normal limit of my hearing. Violins have their original character. You can hear the color of the box. Same with celloes, and horns. Choirs are wonderful. Not only are individual voices audible but their character is. The chafing of violin bows and the sound of the space between them and the box blew me away. I have to recheck them as full-range with the woofers. The balance is wondeful when run this way. but I have to recheck the bottom end definition. My sony WX-700 has remarkable bass definition and I'll have to compare it again to the 880 bass without the subwoofer.

Q: Are they easy to listen to (not fatiguing), and do they favor a particular type of music? I'll be pushing them a B&K ST3030 amp and pre-amp, and power is not a problem.

A: Not fatiguing to my ear. Any good source sounds good. Voice is excellent. I've only listened to my CDs, Sirius satellite, and its competitor satellite music programs. they sound as clean as the program. I can hear the difference between the same CD played back through my DVD player audio and through the DVD digital out using the AV receiver for decoding. I prefer the DVD decoder and stereo outputs because they sound smoother to me. I have the speakers about 16 feet apart and listen at one corner of an equilateral triangle that size.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy the 880s when you get them.

Thank Stu-R for the detailed reply, and thank you for putting up with my badgering.

Obviously you're discerning the sonic differences between DAC's in your CD and DVD player, so that answers my question :-) I'm guessing my Adcom GDA-600 external DAC will also like the 880s!

Midland, Texas USA

I just checked again and although they sound great, I think the bi-amp terminals are only cosmetic. If I remove the straps, and connect an amplifier to only the top set of terminals, everything works. If I do the same to the bottom set of terminals, I get nothing. Not a problem. And they sound great without bi-amping .. better than my Fluance SV-10s when they are bi-amped (and they do sound very good that way).

Lenni
Unregistered guest
I am a complete newbie and woefully ignorant. I appreciate this thread very much.

Any comments on a cheap receiver that will work with the 404's? I am on a tight budget.

Thank you very much! :-)

Post Number: 8
That's easy.

Might get flamed by the "audiophiles" for this one, but when in doubt, I've found Pioneer's mid-high end AV recievers have not only very good DAC's, but very good amplifier stages.

Buddy of mine drives his B&W satellites with a $500 Pioneer A/V box, and at first I was like "dude, you're on crack." Brought my B&K A/B class amp over there, and I kid you not, the Pioneer sounded better.

Seems like KLH KL2400 100WX2, 20Hz-20kHz no-frill stereo receiver ($99 at BestBuy) could be a match with 404, but haven't got a chance to try out yet.

Midland, Texas USA

If you're spending about a hundred bucks, this looks like the best deal. 112.95 delivered price - Onkyo - not KLH - Cheers

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?store=macmall&dpno=292771&source= zwb12091&adcampaign=email,zwb12091&wt.mc_id=zwb12091

Lenni
Unregistered guest
I have a Technics SA EX110 that was given me some years ago (5 or 6 or 7???) ...

Any opinions on that ? Thank you!

:emmo
Unregistered guest
Thank you all. I went with the Onkyo refurb and ordered the 404s. I will report back to you my opinion. The Onkyo should be set at 4 ohms to run the speakers, I presume?

Regards, Lenni

Lenni
Unregistered guest
Stu -R : MacMall says the Onkyo is on backorder... have you had any experience with them? I guess I'll just be waiting.

Thanks, Lenni

DFB
Unregistered guest
I recently bought the 404's. I am in chiropractic school and on a very tight budget also. I've always enjoyed good sounding music, but I admit I have to technical clue. The 404's are well worth the price. For 80 bucks they look and sound great. I'll probably hold on to them for a while. If I may repeat myself, 80 bucks!!! Definitely worth my work study money as far as I'm concerned. Also, I recently picked up an onkyo 8211 receiver for pretty cheap. Even though it doesn't put out tons of power, it's more than enough for the 404's. For less than $200 I have a system that sounds good and can wake up the neighbors. If you want something decent for cheap. I definitely recommend the 404's and a decent receiver.

Unregistered guest
I have a question for Kenny. I recently bought a pair of SD604s for my car and when I got them I realized that the actual speaker diameter is only 5.25" Is this how all your 6.5" speakers are, or did I get a mispacked box?

Midland, Texas USA

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=280040#POST280040

You might call them and find out when they expect the Onkyo in.

Guero
Unregistered guest
My God, folks... I came here to see what the consensus is on the SDAT 404's, not to watch some mama's boy college punk spout off about his supposedly superior stereo system for the sake of appearing knowledgable. Oh, wait, I used to do that back in the 70's, before internet forums, in person, in front of real people, when I had Bose 901's and a set of L-100s in my apartment living room, driven by separate Marantz 1150 console amps, with a Fisher Studio Standard Direct Drive and Shure V15 typeIV, and..... See how stupid that sounds? It does now and it did then.

So, anyway, you know what? I just ordered a set of SDAT 404's for 83 bucks shipped. No big deal. They're gonna be L/R computer speakers positioned at either side of my computer desk, so I can listen to DVDA discs in enhanced stereo, to be driven with a 5wpc T-200 USB Tube Amp, and connected to my "jukebox PC" with 160 gigs of 256kb Mpeg2 music with its Aopen AX4B-533 Tube motherboard audio outputs driving a 60w powered sub under the desk. It won't be really loud, but I bet it'll sound good<snicker>

Bob From Omaha
Unregistered guest
The problem here and in other forums with the leb-404 comments is that some folks insist on comparing them with speakers that are in a different class. MSRP has no bearing when the product is presently retailing for around $54 to $80 shipped.

There are presently no brand new speakers in the $54/pr. range that could possibly outshine these. Not that they are anything special, but they are worth $54/pr. I would imagine on eBay there are probably some steals to be had on used or older vintage speakers, but again, that would be comparing across classes. Yeah, the 404's have cheap vinyl. Yeah, they have cheap cabinets. Yeah, they are priced accordingly, and sound surprisingly good.

cheapears
Unregistered guest
Lenni- for what it's worth, the KLH R5100 for around $75 to $99 is a steal. It is a 5.1 channel A/V Receiver and can certainly be operated in stereo mode. There is a thread on this forum at:

http://www.epinions.com/pr-KLH_R5100_5_1_Dolby_Digital_DTS_Channel_Home_Au dio_Receiver/linkin_id_~3035301/display_~reviews

Disregard the comments on digital noise, as the posters apparently did not read the instructions which clearly spell out how to eliminate this noise.

teamstussy
Unregistered guest
Hey - I found this forum while googling SDAT and had a quick question. I found 5.25 and 4x6 SDAT 4-ways for $38.00 delivered on overstock. Just wondering if anyone thinks they'd work out for a Jeep. Just looking for a decent set at a good price. You guys are way out of my league but I would greatly appreciate anyone's opinion. Thanks.

I pair the LEB-404 with a 20 years old Denon PMA-700V. Listened for 2 weeks. I would say it is well worth the money. The Denon is on the bright side, so I tune the bass up to compensate. 404 has pretty bright and detailed presentation on music (mostly what I listen is Jazz and chamber music) and pretty good on vocal. Overall, I will give it an 8.5 out of 10 but 10 for its value. My friend's over $3000 set can easily blow away the LEB-404 but hey, I only spent $300 all together. The savings go to CD purchase and after a few years, when I save enough money, I will turn to higher end equipment. I wouldn't say it is good enough, but it is definitely NOT crappy. I feel the money well spent. If possible, I would add a superwoofer if my applifier allowed. Don't know if the other more expensive SDAT/CAT speakers can have better bass. I am interested to find out other's experience with this brand.

BTW, I think I haven't seen anything in this price range (even used) can give such performance. So...my thumbs up...

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 161
BMW: FWIW a lot of subs accept speaker wire connections and have outputs to go to your speakers.

Post Number: 10
Stealth: subs accept speaker wire connections? How so? Doesn't a sub need a pre-amp port? Thanks!

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 162
Usually they will have input and output binding posts/speaker wire clips on the back. For example:

http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html

Note the pictures of the rear. Not all subs have this feature, but there are plenty out there that do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Stealth, do you have a diagram showing how to do this? My amplifier has output for 2 sets (A, B, or A+B) of speakers. Can I do this: use A+B on amplifier, A connect to main speakers, B connect to subwoofer by: R+ and R- to sub's R channel and L+ and L- to sub's L channel. I guess I shouldn't make R+ and L+ together on the amplifier, am I correct? Thanks!

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 166
You only need one set of connections on the amplifier. The R and L will both be wired to the subwoofers speaker wire inputs (4 altogether for your R+ R- L+ L-). The sub also has outputs (again, 4) with which you can run wire from the sub to your speakers.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=hookup_connection _wire

This is the best diagram I can find at the moment.

Silver Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 167
Actually this one is pretty good.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=hookup_connection _alt

GB
Unregistered guest
I just got these speakers last week, and I have had many stereo systems, with many different kinds and sizes of speakers. These are not the best pair of speakers I have ever had, but they are very good for $79 a pair. I'm pushing them with a Onkyo 502 which has more then enough juice to run these speakers, and they sound pretty good. I am thinking of buying a second pair for surround speakers so I can take my Sony's off the wall. Can't believe all the negative e-mails about these speakers, not sure how you can take advantage of someone for selling them $79 speakers. I recommend these speakers to anyone, especially anyone on a budget.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I tried my method and burnt the fuse when playing a tune that has very deep bass. So I guess my method doesn't work.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Got a Velodyne VRP-1000 from Overstock.com and it complement the LEB-404 perfectly. The speaker level hookup works just fine. Now I don't envy my friends who have sets that cost a couple grands more.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
im still wondering how the SB-E5 can have a 10" woofer with a cabinet 9.2" wide. the website is just as bad as GMAs.

mryoung7
Unregistered guest
stu-r, in the review you say you would not recommend the 880s if your music of choice is rock. with regards to this, can you tell me exactly how i might be disappointed? and what comparably priced speakers would you recommend for this type of music? thanks in advance for the response.

mryoung7
Unregistered guest
also, can anyone give an informed opinion of the sdat sb-e800? thanks.

Username: Godfather

Cincinnati, Ohio

Hello All,
I was just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a good center stage that would match the LEB-404's. I am currently using a Harman Kardon AVR-40 reciever So I only have 55W per channel. Which brings up another ??? Is this enough to power the 404's

Thanks to all who post...
It really is helpful...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Mike, I picked up a Jensen center from Overstock.com. The one that sells for 29.00. Nothing exciting. I wouldn't recommend.

Username: Oberusal

OK... here is a real impartial, unbiased opinion of the LEB-404.

A little about me first: I am an analog engineer who prefers the sound of pure analog sources to digital. I can really hear the difference between an album and a CD. Forget MP3, I worked with folks who developed the protocol and understand what all they had to throw away to compress the file. I run my albums flooded, and after 20 years they are still clean as a whistle. I record the album tracks to open reel tape. When I really want to hear the music, it is Sennheiser all the way. Sure, CD's and MP3's are convenient and sound OK.

As for speakers, I have owned many pairs over the last 25 years. I have marveled at how well bass response has been refined in the last 10 years or so.

I picked up the LEB-404's for use in my engineering lab here at work. I paid about $85 delivered. They are worth every penny. Maybe they lose out to Dahlquist's running on 1KW Carvers, but I didn't have that kind of cash to spend on the lab. Maybe the KEF's do have cleaner midrange and highs.

But for $85 I have one thing to say: WOW

I am happy. I am not sure I could be happier for under a $200 investment. I am not even going to look.

If you are looking for good sounding speakers on a budget, you will be suprised by these.

Fit and finish ain't bad either. Sure it is vinyl on some form of chip board. But they did a good job.

If you want good sounding speakers for under $100, these should impress you.

Lock and Load

lenni
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone, I need to read all the latest posts here yet. I just wanted to report that Macmall bailed on me and said the Onkyo was no longer available. I did get one on ebay that had no remote for a cheap price. I do appreciate the other recommendations. I just read so many good reviews on the Onkyo TX8511, I just went with it.

At any rate, FINALLY I got the ebay Onkyo yesterday, and hooked it up to these speakers. I haven't cranked it up as loud as I could because I have birds upstairs, but things sounded very good indeed. I am no audiophile by any means but I am a musician. Played some modern rock today, which had plenty of punch. A subwoofer might be nice.. I don't know if I could put one on.

I am now playing some orchestral Debussy. I'm in the other room typing this and the sound is rich and vibrant - filling the house. For the price these speakers are just wonderful. And not considering the price they are mighty fine if I say so myself.

I had Polks which were 20 years old, which sounded very good for years until they "blew".

Sheesh it's good to have music again!!!!!!!

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks very much!

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 27
Kenny Li, couple questions since you say you build these speakers.
1) What is a "Bass reflex" crossover? In 30 years of retail audio I never heard of a bass reflex crossover.
2) Why only a 1 yr warranty if the speakers are as good as you claim?
We will start with those two simple questions.
I'm sure for $100.00/pair if they play they are worth the $$ but they will not fool too many audio people into thinking they are Hi-fi speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
paul, the website has lots of wierd things that may be firsts. i would take the site with the same seriousness of a 12 year old's personal website

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
The other question for Kenny Li is the sealed tube in the rear of the speaker. I have seen some speakers with open tube structure to allow more free flow of air, but the tube in LEB 404 is a close end tube. I wonder why it is designed this way.

Anonymous

I'm not Kenny Li, but in response to the guy asking why only a one year warranty if they are good ...

simple. price.

No matter what product is sold, or how good it is, or how bad it is, some component of the price is covering warranty work.

A big corporation can have an entire team of people sit around for a week and debate "should we price this at $500 and provide a one year warranty, or $550 and provide a two year warranty?"

The decision on $500/$550 is far more complex than "is it good enough to last two years?"

All sorts of questions are asked. Price position compared to competitors? Consumer expectations for warranty? How many more will we sell at the magic $499 instead of the over $500 price?" etc. etc.

I think at $81 for a shipped pair a one year warranty seems reasonable to me. Also, at this price point they are probably appealing to a consumer segment more likely to abuse the speaker. My guess would be the guy paying $5,000/pair is more likely to be educated and know things like "distortion blows speakers too, not just power" etc. etc.

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Guys, I am so sorry that i haven't be on for a long time but here i am. Thank you all for loving the SDAT product.
here is some answear to a few questions
If you getting the wong size of the car speaker please contact the buyer, they will take care you.
I understand there are lots of the mistakes on our website, cause lack of english. LOOK AT MY ENGLISH, believe it or not i speaker best english in my company. we looking forward to improve that
I don't even know what the hell is "bass reflex cross over" but the speaker is Base reflex design
about the warranty, we can offer 5 years, no problem, but for the price we selling, you rather get our new model 2 years later. if you guys have enough exp on speakers, NO Speaker will Break if they are not Breaking in 2 month. 5 years warranty is just trick ppl play to sell 100 dollar more, do you guys want us to doing something like this.
LEB 404 is really a bargain, but it's just a entry lvl speaker we build, it was build for chain
store. that's why they cheep, but our old stock is
almost gone now, so the retail price might raise about 5 -- 10 dollar in the near future. I am not sure yet, still disguess with the marketing ppl.
BTW SB-E639C is my Faverite speaker that SDAT makes. i have those in my home. and i reconmand Harman karton reciver for SDAT product.

mfboym
Unregistered guest
Hi Kenny,
1.With SB-E639C specified Maximum Power Handling=600 Watts RMS, what is the minimum power they still work decently?
2. Will they be too loud at low-to-moderate level in a 15'x 25'x 10'room in a building apartment? Or they need big hall to sound well?
3. what do you drive them with and in what room size?
Thks,

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Hi
THe E639C is rated at 150 Watts RMS. so it will work well with any 80 watts to 150 watts reciver.
I have a small apartment and they sound good. hehe. they kind big though, so got make room for it.
I use a Old Harman Karton 100 watts per channel AMP.
I only use them for Music, not for movie.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Kenny Li: My question is the sealed tube in the rear of LEB-404. I have seen some speakers with open tube structure to allow more free flow of air, but the tube in LEB 404 is a close end tube. I wonder why it is designed this way.

Anonymous

Kenny Li,
Thks,
Mike

mfboym
Unregistered guest
Kenny Li,
What is the difference between SB-E639C and D which is on overstock? Their guy mailed me D is new version, is it improved or degraded in comparison to C?
Mike

Rowland Hts, CA USA

The sealed port have a very long story, so i will skip , but the speaker is better off with the port open, so you guys can cut it open if u want to.
E639D is a improved Model. basicly put bigger magnet on the middle tweeter. so the middle tweeter will product same highs as the top one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks! I was about to cut it open but kind of wonder if there is some scientic explanation to it (to keep it sealed). I will go ahead and do it carefully.

davidov
Unregistered guest
hey guys, great thread its helping me out as i am totally new to this...

i was looking at the SDAT SB-E800 on overstock.com as well, are they worth the extra $110 over the LEB-404s ?

mryoung7
Unregistered guest
davidov, as you can see above, i never got any feedback when i asked about the sb-e800s so i decided to give them a shot, as i am too skeptical of the leb-404s. i just got the sb-e800s in a few days ago.

i'm no professional but i think they sound great. i have not heard the leb-404s so i can't make a comparison but i would recommend going with the e800s if you can pay the extra. overstock should be posting my more extensive review very soon.

let me know if you have any questions i can answer because, trust me, there is no information anywhere about these speakers.

ryan
mryoung7AThotmailDOTcom

Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me about the 12in GF120 from SDAT>? they any good? i got 3 of them and im waiting for them got 3 for $80 including shipping... hope there not junk. im just looking for a good bang for my buck.. i got a nice case (box) i had my old ones in. THX Fishy

Anonymous

One of my friends had quality problem with the LEB-404, and it has been a week since he filed a complaint with SDAT, and no reply yet. So, really pay attention, and preferrably run very extensive test before the 20 days Overstock return warranty expires.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
i had the same issue too. so the speakers are sitting in my basement now and i have given up the idea of getting another pair from sdat. in the future i'd rather get something that has REAL waranty instead of a piece of german paper and nowhere to get service. you get what you pay for. :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
btw, i didn't cut the tube yet. the quality problem was found before i started my diy project.

Bronze Member

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Post Number: 11
Contact me for warranty, i will take care you guys myself.
Email me at kenny@sdatgroup.com

Bronze Member

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Post Number: 12
We do offer customer warranty.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Thanks for the heads up. I will see what is going to happen next.

soofdawg
Unregistered guest
ALL of you should give APERION AUDIO a try. Now these are very good speakers for the price. I absolutely love them.

www.aperionaudio.com

Unregistered guest
Salutations!

Sounds like a heated discussion about the SDATs. Could everyone out there who is recommending speakers other than the SDAT stay within the same price range? So far all of the alternative suggestions are more than 50% higher. We are talking about $80 for the LEB-404 and $2.95 for shipping. About the White Van stuff, remember that these con jobs are saying the speakers are worth thousands while they sell them out of the van for a couple of hundred bucks. Look at Overstock and learn!!! IT's $80 a pair, under 3 dollars to ship, and the stated retail is $200. I don't see the con or even how the white van gets applied. Going back to the original post, do these speaker sound "good" and "good" for the money? I'd like to know as well. So far there's just a few posts on actual buyers who have taken it for the team in buying and telling us about it.

Gavin - stop ramblin about your MMGs. It sounds very boastful and unappealing. Stick with the thread at least. Unlike others here, I also own a pair of Magenpan MMGs along with a set of B&W 601s. I run both using a Harmon Kardon 2 channel amp with a Atlantic Technologies subwoofer. They sound great but dude if you know your audio equipment, this package is over $2,800 less cables. My braided speaker cables run twice as much as these speakers. BUT unlike you I'm not going to cram down someones throat on how great my speakers are. There's a place for everything. I drive my Honda Odessy (minivan for you younger folks) 80% of the time because it can carry lot of stuff and pretty cushy. I drive my Porsche 993 (911) 20% of the time for the sake that it's not practical. MMGs are not a well rounded speaker unless paired with a subwoofer. That's more money.

In regards to my Maggies and your Maggies, they are very one dimensional and tailored for classical jazz. Anyone serious about Maggies knows this. I've played rock and rap on these speakers but it's not extremely rewarding. Maggies are not an everything speaker. My B&W 601s are closer to covering everything with the subwoofer balanced to it. For folks not familiar with B&W they are known as Bowers and Wilkins in England. Magnepans are built in the USA in White Bear Lake, MN and started by an American engineer graduating from the University of Iowa. BTW I lived 4 miles from the Magnepan building when I was growing up as a kid so I've always been a Magnepan advocate. Both great speakers BUT you can't compare these to the SDATS.

Why am I looking at SDATS??? Well after spending too much on my main system, I'd like a system for my downstairs family room where my 2 year old plays. I don't want to spend too much considering my 2 year old destroys everything in her path. I could buy an integrated stereo system but what's the fun in that? I bought an inexpensive Sony Surround Sound 6.1 amp for $129. I don't need the surround channels, maybe for the future. I plugged my B&W speaker and they sound good but now I'm looking for the speakers that will run on this amp permanently. I'm going to plug my iPod into the RCA jacks. Pretty inexpensive system overall. I'd still like to get more concrete feedback for these SDATS or other SDATS. I'm hesitant to buy since if I need to return these speakers, it may end up costing half of the speakers.

In summary, realize that we are talking about $80 speakers. Alternatives mentioned so far are still outside of the price range. About Athena speakers - yuck! If you own a pair of any SDATs I'd like to hear from you. Email me directly at tozaiwaylo@aol.com. Thanks! Nicholas

HEY for the folks recommending the $300 or so speakers try listening to a set of AR.Com DIY speakers designed by EPI(?). You can buy the kits at madisound.com - read the reviews at audioreview.com. If you want to have fun, build your own speakers that are audiophile level for about $300 this is it. Heck you may learn a thing or two. Peace out.

Unregistered guest
Kenny Li and anyone else with feedback;
What can you tell me about the SDAT SB-E880's? I am trying to do my homework and haven't shopped for speakers in years. I assume that these are supposed to be an upgrade from the SB-E850's, SB-E639C/D and other SDAT models that we have heard so much about on this thread...?

Anonymous

Interesting thread about SDAT! I've had a pair for about 8 months and am quite happy with them, driven by Carver, Mark Levinson, Rega, SME & Tamon.
No they are not the perfect speaker (is there such a beast?), but for my music (orchestral, classical) and my listening area, I am amazed at the quality of the sound. The speaker cables cost >20 times the speakers. I would recommend these without hesitation, given the current prices.

Username: Drugachusetts

Charlotte, Nc Us

white vans

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Kenny Li,

I don't think you ever replied to this question:

Kenny Li- How would you compare your products with that of comparably priced speakers like Fluance? What sets your product apart from other speakers in the price range? Also it would seem that the vast majority of your hi-fi speakers frequency response measure from 20Hz-20KHz, some even noted with a +/- 3dB. Given that many high end speakers costing thousands of dollars are unable to accomplish this feat, how do you do it?

Could you please explain?

Username: Drugachusetts

Charlotte, Nc Us

big cones ... small magnets

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 140
The 880s are not uprades,over the 850s,800s,or the 639s they are all different ,much better than the 404s the 404s are just their entry level model.Get one of the 4,Ive heard the 880s they very good to good for the price they charge for them they will blow away many speakers.So dont listen to size conqures all guys like Paul he has not even made it the 90s yet as evidence his love for a speaker that rivals Peveys for loudness capability.You cant listen to people who havent heard them they can only speculate.

Username: Jaybhas

Dallas, Tx

hi guys

Help requested in putting a hometheatre with a 7.1 channel receiver and speakers.
I am planning to buy a 7.1 channel receiver and speakers and if i buy the sdat SB-E639D speakers should i buy seven of them and an additional subwoofer .As i have no idea about HI -FI speakers and the 7.1 set up requires 1 Front,1 Left, 1 Center,2 front Surrounds and 2 back surrounds , and one subwoofer .Any input would be appreciated

Unregistered guest
Wait a second... In Kenny Li's first post, he said, "My name is Kenny from SDAT GROUP, I acutully build the LEB-404 speaker. I desighed it with 3 Germany Egineer in German back in 1998." But if you read his profile, he says he is 24. This would mean that he was 17 years old when he designed the speakers with the three Germans. Maybe he is a child prodigy speaker-designer. Interesting.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 316
Man Bhaskaram you would have to have concert sized room for 7 of these monsters,well you definetly wouldnt need a sub.If you have the room do it.you will blow the roof off your house and a couple of your neighbors Wow!,and I thought Paul loved bass.Knock yourself and who ever else is around.

Username: Jaybhas

Dallas, Tx

thanks Tawaun A.Williams

and if possible please suggest a 7.1 set up without blowing away my roof

Anonymous

I couldn't help but post my 2 cents on this topic...first of all, I believe that Nicholas L's post is one of the most sensible posts I've read in quite some time. It should be a primer for all speaker recommendation threads. Sorry for the length, but I must vent.

Anyway, it seems as if getting on a forum and belittling others for not spending exorbitant amounts for speakers is quite hip. I mean, I could get on my high horse and claim that anything under $5,000 is pure crap - and maybe my system is just made up of open-box specials from Circuit City. If you don't have something meaningful to impart to others asking about a SPECIFIC speaker, then why waste their time with your rant?

Here's the deal. The audio industry is full of bogus claims and superstitious beliefs regarding audio quality. That's why you can spend thousands on speaker cable (I know I'm opening a whole can of worms, but that's a completely different topic. See http://www.harmanaudio.com/all_about_audio/installing_receivers.asp if you want Harman Audio's take on speaker cable...) or spend hundreds on speaker wire 'elevators' or a clock that supposedly conditions your AC power input. Yes, there is a difference between the cheapest speakers and say, a well engineered speaker such as Polk, but the differences above that rest primarily in the head of the listener. Double-blind tests have proven this time and time-again; without prior knowledge of brand name or price, discerning between different components usually has a probability of 50% - meaning it comes down to anyone's best guess. If I put a $1,000 price tag on a pair of Polk R15's and changed the badge to some high-end exotic company, people would rave about the quality (and the value! oh how valuable for only $1,000!). I could stick a Pioneer logo on it and a close-out price tag of $75 for the pair, and they'd be tossed off as pure junk for only the lowliest listeners.

I must say - Gavin, you absolutely must get a life. I certainly hope that no one is impressed with your name-dropping of high-end equipment. Someone asked for opinions regarding SDAT speakers, and all you could do was berate a product that you haven't even listened to. And the way you put "if you MUST have inexpensive speakers". What I MUST have is an excellent SOUNDING speaker. The price tag should be irrelevant. If a 'cheap' speaker sounds good (and they can by the way, if you don't cloud your judgement with price-bias!) then I would buy it simply because I enjoy the sound. Your reasoning is price = sound quality. That's the most immature, irrelevant, and wrong-headed justification in the book.

Case in point: go read some reviews of various KLH speakers at Audioreview.com. Reviewers of the 911B are mostly positive about this bookshelf speaker, especially since it compares nicely to much more expensive models. Many (not all) of the negative reviews are from people like Gavin who just berate the speaker (and those who bought it) simply because it is inexpensive. The lesson learned? Human psychology is a funny thing. We can tell ourselves that something SHOULD sound better (because it costs more, or because it comes from an exotic brand) but in reality our preconceived bias plays a larger role in the listening experience than the actual sound that's produced.

Many times, the only difference between speaker X and speaker Y (take bookshelf models, for example) might just be the cabinets and speaker orientation - which does indeed change the sound produced, but not necessarily the quality. Quality is subjective, and what suits one person's ear doesn't suit anothers. Take the Magnepans for example. They are a speaker that polarizes listeners. Some swear by them, others don't care for them - especially considering the type of music you like and the source of that media. Paying exorbitant prices for what might boil down to a different cabinet design (not referring to Magnepans) seems rather absurd, especially when the gain in sonic improvement gets blurred above a certain price-point.

In conclusion - it's fine to hold your views and opinions (it's your right, afterall) but keep in mind that your ears and hearing are discrete to you, and they don't represent all listeners. It's not just a matter of "I have good taste, and you don't"; it's "I have my taste and you have yours". Buying a speaker just because it is expensive, and then telling yourself it sounds better BECAUSE you paid more for it is bad practice. Anyone following this principle should consider taking a double-blind listening test to see if they really hear a difference (and can pick it out consistently) or if their bias clouds their opinion. There are countless stories regarding audio enthusiasts who have made the bold decision to try inexpensive equipment and found that they are quite pleased with the result - now they just wish they could have all the money back from the pointless 'spending for spending's sake' ideology they once devoted themselves to. It's a thought-provoking topic, and it deserves to be considered.

a n o n y m o u s
Unregistered guest
quote:

Man Bhaskaram you would have to have concert sized room for 7 of these monsters,well you definetly wouldnt need a sub.If you have the room do it.you will blow the roof off your house and a couple of your neighbors Wow!,and I thought Paul loved bass.Knock yourself and who ever else is around.

Really? So they are like a speaker and sub combined?

Hector from Florida
Unregistered guest
Oh well I have spent an hour reading all the posts here and I have to say I have had a lot of fun,but besides I have learned some about speakers,I recently bought a pair of LEB-404 from Park Ave Eelectronics in NY for just $73 the pair,because I went to visit a friend of mine who recently got his by ebay for a little bit more than I payed,in my case I rather pay for something brand new and with the manufacturer warranty,what I heard in my friends home was marvellous,wonderful,a very nice and sweet audio quality coming out of those speaker towers at a level of 50W aproximately listening a local jazz station,so I told him to move the freq to a disco or electronic dancing music station and it sounded ever better,those speakers are very well designed and for the low price we pay nobody will beat them up,they are very afordable and they sound terrific,I am planing to install them with my Sony 32 inches TV set and my Sony 100Wx 2 receiver/amp to enjoy the good sound of my digital satellite system,when I get them install at home I will post my honest opinion but so far I was impressed at my friend's home when I heard them in his Technic audio system,thanks to all who patienly has read my comments,God bless America.

bug
Unregistered guest

The LEB-404 @$51 vs the SDAT SB-e880 @ $330... gives a X6 price difference how does the 880 compare to the 404. ?Is it like 6x or 2x better?
Also SDAT you guys might want to add a center chanel and subwoofer to your product inventory.

Username: Uss_novice

Hello,

This question is for all the knowledgeable ones:

I'm a newbie when it comes to electronics esp. speakers, hometheater sys etc. But I love to tinker with stuff esp. since i seem to have a lotof it!
here is the setup that I have currently going:

1 sony hst 190 stereo component receiver @ 140W, 8 ohms - 2 channels
1 Onkyo pcs 103 stereo/surround component receiver @ 60 W, 8 Ohms. 2 front 2 surround channels. I have no idea if it is 60 watts per channel or 30 per channel - I don't have the manual either!

1 dvd player

I have set up the dvd player so that 1 audio channel hooks up with the Sony and the other with the Onkyo.

Currently I use Sony satellite speakers (not so great :-() with the Onkyo and so have 6 speakers dealing out OK sound (my opinion anyway!)

Here is the BIG question:

Would I be able to improve the sound quality esp. bass if I add the SDAT LEB 404 speakers to this mix? Would it produce good sound considering that both the systems I use are rated at 8 ohms and 60/140 Watts respectively?

How can I further improve the current situation. I'm pretty tight with $ and do not want to spend an extra penny if it is not going to matter. However, the SDAT 404s are really tempting me.

all expert advice would be v.helpful.

Thanks much
USS.

Oh yes, 1 more question -

Would the low sensitivity of these speakers 80db make a difference esp. considering that my receivers are not all that powerful? Perhaps the SB E5 would be a better purchase? Although, I love the looks of the 404.

Thanks,
uss.

shoot is there any way i can edit these posts? I hate to keep on asking questions on the same topic with new posts. I am sorry but I do have one more question:

THe SDAT SB E70, seems to have the same specs (freq resp. 20hz-20khz, 4-8 ohms) but increased sensitivity (87db) but with no extra woofer as compared to the LEB 404? If it produces the same sound at lower power levels, would'nt it be better to pick this speaker? Any reviews on this one?

Thanks much.
USS>

buffpandabear
Unregistered guest
just emailed the sdat people about the e70 vs. the leb-404, and here's the response from someone named Karen:
Hi there,

The Leb-404 is basically a lot better than the E70 for the following reason:

1. Leb-404 is German engineer design with mass quantity produce. That's the
reason why it is so cheap. However, E70 is just a normal designer with okay
quantity produce.

so i guess there you have it. I asked them about the sensitivity difference too, but no comment on it, just what I pasted.

DaveWhoIsAGuest
Unregistered guest
this post is about gavincumm;

i think its funny that all the speaker companies he mentioned are all speakers that are "visualy apealing", he obviously cares more about looks than he does about sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
lol...

I purchased a set of these speakers this summer from overstock, and for the style of music that I listen to most...jazz... even though I listen to most everything...they don't really have the neurtality in the midrange to bring me into the recording.

Thiel, MartinLonan, and Magnepan are members of only a handful of speakers that manage to draw me in because of their clarity and neutrality. Once I got a taste of it, I want more. Music is an important part of my life, and I want to get the best sound possible for a fair price.

and of the visually apealing comment? Have you ever seen a maggie? They are about the ugliest speakers made! lol! They look like window shutters. To me, Avalons, look like coffins and MartinLogans look like window screens. No design is perfect in its appearence

My last 2 cents on this page is this is PRECISELY why there are so many speaker manufacturers! It is impossible for a single speaker company to design a single product that everyone will find to suit their needs well...except for Bose...lol :-)

my first posts were out of line, and I really havent been back to the SDAT section since that all went down. I had no clue how badly they read until now. My apologies.

Username: Dhamal

Hi I know this is off topic but seeing as there was no other forum that talked about SDATs other than White van I was wondering if that HT-B5S was any good seeing as it comes with a center and a subwoofer. I am a newbie and this deal looked too god to pass up for around $250. Any help on getting packages would be appreciated I am on a VERY tight budget after buying a new 70" Grand Wega XBR (for my new home theater) and the new 50" Samsung DLP (for my bedroom)

tubehead
Unregistered guest
My SDAT LEB-404 pair sounds great on a 1964 vintage Knight KG-250 tube amp. I mostly listen to DVDA or XM radio through them.

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a pair of CAT (or "SDAT") LEB 404 speakers from Overstock. I paid $80.00,and they sound good.

Specifically,the high end is great. Sounds like maybe an even better,crisper treble than my twenty-year-old Boston Accoustics A100`s. And the sound doesn`t change much when you walk around the room. My untrained ears tell me that`s good "dispersion"! :-)

The only real deficiencies the LEB 404`s have are the bass response,and power handling,as you`d expect. If you listen to your music "flat",with little or no EQ,then you might not notice it much. But with the bass control turned up,it`s not hard to make the woofers distort a little bit at about 30 watts. Which brings me to my pet peeve: Over-rating wattage!! These speakers are good for about 60-80 watts RMS period!

And that`s fine. 60-80 clean watts is very loud,and most people rarely go beyond that anyway. I`m just saying that the ratings they give on these speakers (and most amplifiers) are absurd,as usual. I removed the front woofer on one of them to have a look,and normally a 400 watt woofer will break free and crash onto your big toe before you even get the final screw all the way out. No such worries with this one! It weighs a couple pounds I guess,but it looks like what you would find in a big screen TV set. A basic woofer,except with a little poly-coating.

Again,nothing wrong with that. I summarize it this way: They look good. They sound pretty good. They could sound substantially better if a subwoofer were added to the mix. They are cheap!They are worth the $80.00.

Unregistered guest
Hey wait! Stop the presses! I gotta add sumpmm!
The sensitivity may be an issue with some people. These speakers (LEB 404) are not very sensitive at all. You may have to turn your volume control a few degrees more clockwise than you did with your old speakers - that`s the first thing I noticed. So don`t be fooled by the 6 ohm spec,thinking they will sound louder for some reason. They won`t! :-) OK?? Bye.

hajjiKoKo
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, I need you help I am a college student and I need a nice system for my apartment. At home I have a yamaha amp with jbl speakers, sound is not bad at all.
Now budget for my apartment is about 300-350. I need an amp and speakers... I was thinking getting those sdat's with a gemini X04 and the pre-amp (from gemini). I have a feeling the amp is too powerful and I am kind of lost. Could someone please give me some advice, I am willign to scrap my thoughts and to take poeple's advice for a decent amp and speakers...

hajjiKoKo
Unregistered guest
I hear the sdat's are good but what amplifier should i pair up with them? I mostly listen to techno/trance/house... any help would be appreciated, I also heard that since these are 6ohm rated if I hook them up to a 8ohm amp I may risk burning it or making it run real hot... please help! i can't live long without a sound system... thnx!!!

Ken from Indy
Unregistered guest
I have just recently purchased a pair of the 880's from Overstock.com. These speakers are definitely NOT white van. They are solid, the cabinet is gorgeous, and the sound is incredible! I have them connected to a 100 w x 5 amp and with it cranked the sound was very crisp and clear. For the price you will not be disappointed. The only two problems I found with them is that they are not magnetically shielded, so you cannot place them too close to your TV. The second problem is my amp requires an 8-16 ohm load. The speakers are 6 ohms and after an hour and a half the amp overloaded and shut down. I called Pioneer and they suggested running an impedance matcher between the speakers and amp. The Russound WB-1 allows the connection of 4 and 6 ohm speakers connected to an 8 ohm and up amp. The 880,s paired up with the BIC BICV1020 160 w sub is awesome!

Links
Russound WB-1:
http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufacturer/Russound/Item/WB1/

BICV1020:
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1514712

CobraKhan
Unregistered guest
I bought a pair of the 404's,but was not happy
with the sound.
Since they are low priced I decided to tinker
with them.
I like big full sound,So keep this in mind.
You hook the wires going to the woofer onto
the midrange speaker and the mids wires to the woofer.
Next you force out the sealed bass port in the
back of the speaker.You can leave it out or cut
the sealed end off then put it back.Sounds the same
either way.
This greatly increases the bass output aswell as
the mids.
It sounds like crap if you don't swap the mid
and the front woofer leads.
Just opening the port tube makes it muffled and
too bassy.
They sound really good now.
It also takes less power to fill the room with
sound.
Yes I know it goes against conventional speaker
design.The speakers are cheap to replace so try it and see what you think.
I am running them through a Kenwood VR-7080
and tried them with my older Yamaha RX-V540.
With these mods they now sound excellent.
In the 404's defense the insides are braced
well.I just think they went too much for the
flat audiofile sound that mainstream consumers
can't apreciate.People want to go WOW!! and this
way I feel they do.

If you want super good sounding speakers
,in the 404's price range,I highly recommend
BIC usa speakers.They are what I use for my
home theater.I use the 62i's for front and surround with the DV62CLR center.I am in the
process of upgrading to the BIC Acoustech speakers.
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/index.cfm?Fuseaction=products&p=s&keyword=bic
I use the 404's in my dining room.
All of their bookshelf speakers sound extremely
better than the 404's out of the box.

NOTE:I don't know why but the insides of the
404's I got smell awful so be warned.
Kindalike horse.Don't worry you can't smell
it when you put them back together or when
they are in use.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
BIC USA doesn't have the same range price with LEB-404. You have to move up a level in SDAT/CAT speakers to compare. That's more of a fair game. BTW, I happened to have Kenwood VR-7080. In my opinion, it doesn't bring out the potential of LEB-404. I pair them with Denon PMA-700V. Gee, what a difference.

Alan Horkan
Unregistered guest
Does anyone actually have the SDAT E70's, and if so how do they sound?

Unregistered guest
I'm also interested in the SDAT E70's.

Mr. Kenny Li. Please send me a sample pair. I would be happy to try them out. I have no bias either way towards your speakers.

Dennis

mister eric
Unregistered guest
i have a sharper image stereo setup right now and was thinking about switching out the small speakers that came with it for the 404's. can somebody tell me if this would work or do i need to buy a receiver? i also have a sub for it that just plugs in.

thanks

mister eric
Unregistered guest
anybody out there?

joe boo
Unregistered guest
Some people are mentioning seeing these LEB-404 speakers for around $51 or so. WHERE?!?

joe boo
Unregistered guest
mister eric, they'll probably work OK at low volumes, although your sharper image stereo is likely going to be very underpowered. Between the fact that these speakers are rated at 6 ohms and the fact that they have low sensitivity, your stereo will probably have problems driving these speakers very loud.

Username: Patnshan

Wisconsin USA

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=800400603

Pat

AdSCFT
Unregistered guest
Just got my pair of LEB-404's. Sounds as good as I expected, although I didn't expect too much.

About the power, I don't even have a receiver, and I just hooked it up with a $25 Karaoke mixer to play music out of my laptop, and there is no problem about the power; 50% volume gives enough power, and I don't wanna turn it higher than that to rock all my neighbors.

Whooooops, $51 on ubid. I just checked that out, for me there is a $31 shipping. So, it doesn't beat the price I got from newegg.com

BTW: I got only one speaker wire in my package, which is pretty long. Am I supposed to cut it into two to hook both speakers up? Now I am using two wires from somewhere else to connect the other speaker.

Tenderears
Unregistered guest
Wow, what a thread. I think I'm gonna give the sdat 880's or 850's a try. Runnin off a soundblaster live audio card through an audiosource amp (about to buy that to). Hopefully all these components will match up. I don't consider myself an audiophile, and I'd never consider spending thousands on speakers, but theres a lot crap out there. Every speaker I've listened to at Best Buy honestly sucks. Maybe its the acoustics or whatever. Then theres the other side of the coin with people spending thousands of dollars simply on a name, when theres no audible difference in sound quality. However, there is something to be said for a good speaker with a heavy cabinet that doesn't "color the sound". It sounds like the music is coming from thin air. If I knew a speaker was "built right" without short cuts or gimmicks I'd be willing to shell out for it, but I'm not willing to chance it, so i'll check out the sdats. As someone who truly enjoys music I know that there is such a thing as "good audio equiptment", but most people are too deaf to tell the difference, and just as happy with crap. So they assume that the hi-fi audio market is all a scam, when only some of it is. BTW, I'm so sick of this surround sound bs, they invented it to sell us speakers we don't need. Speakers up the a**hole.

Contemplating
Unregistered guest
Very interesting read indeed. I think I will go and pick up some big old speakers from the nearby goodwill and replace the drivers. What do you guys think about that?
And all this talk about speaker cables is nonsense. They try to sell you wires thicker than the power line coming to your house!

Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

How the heck is the Freq Response 20-20K for ALL of their speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 726
SDAT = White Van Speakers. Maybe not literally, but in A/B comparison, they are very slightly better.

Dennis T
Unregistered guest
Stu,

Which SDAT's did you listen too?

Dennis
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us