PS3 and Internet

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2350
Is it necessary to have a full time internet connection for a PS3? I was looking thru the manual and it mentioned some disks need a software update to play. Same for games?
If it needs a full-time connection, looks like I'll need a long cable since I won't go wireless.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24789
Full time? No. Periodic? Minimum. So you don't have a wireless router already? Or you refuse to? Wireless routers do have password protect features to eliminate unwanted access to your internet connection.

The console does need periodic updates to the system's software. On my son's he has to download updates about once every two weeks or so. The process is very finicky too. During a download if you happen to shut off the PS3, experience internet disruption or a power outage your console could be worthless afterwards. The PS3 is an actual computer so just like windows needs periodic system updates for security reasons on your PC the PS3 does as well.

Games are also updated via your internet connection. We play a game called Burnout Paradise and they are constantly adding game data (cars, track scenery, ect) and because of the update capability your game evolves with time. Pretty cool too. It also allows users to play "online" against other members inside the Playsatation network. My son is a huge "Call of Duty" fan and LOVES playing against others in real time.

The problem with it? The time it can take. Some updates take 5 minutes while others can kidnap your console for an hour or more, even with DSL or other high speed connection. I'm scared to even think how long dial up would take. If you play your PS3 only once or twice a year then the accumulative updates you'll need the next time you power it up may frustrate you to no end.

The playstation store is a nice feature. There you can download game trials, watch movie trailers, purchase and download games to the PS3's HD, ect.

I find that surfing the net through the console isn't anywhere near as fluid as on a PC though. Sure it's nice to use your tv screen as your internet but we all know which has better resolution. Plus having to use the joystick to type is a painful and lengthy process. I stick with the PC for internet use.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2352
Thanks, Paul.
Pretty much jives with what I heard at Fry's today. The kid was pretty sharp and said that 'about 1 in 5 movies will need an update'. Also, games, but I was only interested in the 'game of the century'....LA Noire. Which is the ONLY thing which could induce me to have ANYTHING further to do with Sony.

I also found that using a Logitech remote is possible, if you have the BlueTooth adaptor, available, he said, for 1000 series UP, you can even program your 'universal' remote.

And Yes, I'm a wired guy. I don't want to make it easy on the NSA who basically records the planet. 25feet MIGHT work while 50 is 100% for sure. Cat6 50 footers are available for 21$ at Fry's.

I would consider a wireless access tool. It plugs into a wired port on my router and would interface with the PS3. The usual WEP / WAP2 insecurity tools would apply. I need to see if that provides access to my system.

NetFlix would be an eventual / potential goal. No more PPV or movie channels........Now, If I had a connection speed which was a reliable 3meg/sec, I could pull the trigger on this.....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24792
Sounds like you've done your homework.

As far as the NSA.....I doubt the average gamer has anything to worry about lol. If you own a PC, cell phone, beeper, or a microwave I'm pretty sure they already have you covered.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2355
WHAT!? My microwave is ratting me out?
no texting or other 'advanced' phone features. I speak in pig-latin or Swahili.

And Paul, It may just be me, (90% certain it is) but I'm doing all I can to preserve the last of the concept of 'privacy'. I'm even thinking of getting PGP for even routine E-mails.
You don't send letters in an open envelope, why should your E-mail be in one?
Read what Zuckerberg and others said at the recent G8 meeting. Like these (jerks) know any better than the governments.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391380/G8-summit-2011-Facebook-CEO-Mark -Zuckerberg-schmoozes-world-leaders.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

MIT formerly did a distribution but the site was frequently the target of intel spooks and the last versions wouldn't run on a modern OS.

I'd reinstall Win95 or '98 on a Mac partition and use my ancient DOS copy.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24793
It's a double edged sword when it comes to electronic privacy. On one hand the public applauds the government when they snag a guy distributing child p0rn or dubunking an identity theft circle. On the other you have the law abiding citizens crying fowl when they realize the government is "listening". The problem lies in all the agencies who abuse this tool for their own profiteering. They ALL do it. Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Myspace, ect.

Type in 'bomb making" in any search engine and it pops up on a screen in front of some analyst who determines whether or not to forward it to the CIA. Type in "bowling gear" and you can bet your IP address is being "sold" to 1000's of paid sponsors who conveniently now know you're in the market for bowling shoes. It's all out there....and for sale.

Everyone's precious email providers are the biggest culprits. Try this experiment:

Set up a brand new email address through ANY email provider. I don't care who. Outside of that new email address NEVER use that address anywhere. Better yet don't send a single email to anyone. Wait and see how long you start receiving spam. Even without responding to any of them they start multiplying like roaches. Your email provider just said "thank you".

This is just over spam and what's commonly done everywhere. Get into PC hacking, viruses, identity theft, ect and you're in another league. Some of those guys can read the time on your coffee maker.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24794
My email provider is Yahoo because, well, it has been for 10 years. If you frequent their homepage as many do, you see the window links to the days' interest stories. Now they quite intentionally provide only enough text under each link to spark your interest enough to click one more time. BAM! They got ya. Ad revenue is based on traffic. Traffic is dictated by how many clicks a link gets in a day. What Yahoo is doing is holding that carrot out in front of you to get that click thus increasing their $$$.

I recently read somewhere that because of this "information sharing" that blankets the web we aren't all seeing the same pages. Basically, based off a person's interests, the web page they see will be tailored to their own profile which is stored on the website's servers. So if you're into fishing the website will filter out non fishing related stories/ads and replace them with what they feel best compliments you. Some would say that's only smart right? I say no. Like many who look a step further I see that as censorship. I don't want someone else telling me what I should read.

Let's say I log onto CNN to catch up on the news. Based off my stored profile I may not see links to stories I might deem important and relevant to my life. Just because I like woodworking and motorcycles doesn't mean I don't care about our involvement in the middle east. Does that make sense?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us