PS2 - format disc

Username: Subzero1

Bargoed, Mid Glamorgan UK

Post Number: 1
My son bought a PS2 game whilst on hols in US - it wont play on his UK spec PS2, keeps asking for a format disc - any suggestions - he's 9 and doing my head in!!

Username: Makobuddha

Post Number: 4
there is a difference of region from usa to the uk the format disk you are looking for is like a modchip type so if you want to play it you are going to need a modchip in the system

suziepops
Unregistered guest
Hi, I am having the same problem. How do i get a modchip in the playstation system?
Thank you, Sally

calum griffin
Unregistered guest
my ps2 says to insert a format disc - where do i get one of these

Username: Makobuddha

Post Number: 7
sally look in your local paper or go online and look for modchip this is the only way l know of but best to find one in your town they will place the modchip and l think maybe if in us about 60. Calum how long have you had your ps2 and what did you try to play on it when it said format disk

Unregistered guest
I have a ps2 that is asking for a ps2 format disc and i dont know why. it was working fine and then my brother turned it off and canged games and now it either says disc read error or asks for the format disc, it wont play dvds, cds, ps1, or ps2 games. what do you think is wrong with it??

Unregistered guest
please email me if you can answer my question

Sams112
Unregistered guest
Hi could anyone help me on how to play copied PS2 games without chipping or applying a mod chip to the Ps2. I know how to copy a ps2 game but it doesnt let me play it! PLEASE i would be very grateful if anyone could help me!!!!

Unregistered guest
Buy a little setup named SWAP MAGIC you can get it on ebay or just type "swap magic" in a search engine.

It contains 2 disks 1 for CD games and 1 for DVD games, you dont have to modify your PS2 in any way (apart from removing the front of the tray, but you can put that back anytime) so you won't scupper your guarantee

Hope this helps you and anyone else that reads this thread

Cheers

Mick

Username: Alsadave

Nairobi, Nairobi Kenya

Hi,I dont know where l can get a PS2 format disc in Kenya.Further information on how it works and the benefits l expect to derive will be highly appreciated.
Allan

timan
Unregistered guest
What in the name of davey joneses mom is a playstation2 formatting disk?

carly
Unregistered guest
does a modchip or swap magic affect playing your other games

Unregistered guest
I have a ps2 that is asking for a ps2 format disc and i dont know why. it was working fine and then my son turned it off and canged games and now it either says disc read error or asks for the format disc, it wont play any of his games. what do I have to do to fix this problem... The Ps2 is 3 days old.

Unregistered guest
i am having the same problem as everyone with the format disk i turned my PS2 on and now it keeps asking me to insert a PS2 format disk please help me what is one of these and where can i get one and how much do they cost?

Silver Member
Username: Jakdaxtersgirl

USA

Post Number: 420
I need help!
I can't play my Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on my PS1 & I can't play it on my PS2!!!! I luv that game but I can't play it anymore :-( I don't kno wot 2 do

Username: Juddin

Egham, Surrey U.k

my son has a ps2 his father gave it to him for his birthday we split up last year any suggestions on this if so yhen please call me: 07891383059 ask for sexy jenny

Unregistered guest
hey im in australia does any body know where i can download a playstation 2 format disk

Anonymous

its not asking for a "FORMAT DISC" its asking you to put a disc that is made for the playstation or playstation 2,its probly a problem with your laser look it up online on how to fix it

Unregistered guest
I have bought a playstaion 1 from Saudi Arabia. In the begining, it was running only spiderman2 and for the rest of games, it was saying that "Insert format disc". Now it is even not running the spiderman2 and giving the same message.

Anonymous

jenny uddin - u need a good f**k ,not suggestions !

Dark D.
Unregistered guest
what the heck is a format disc

Gold Member
Username: British_power

Post Number: 1297
EVERY1!...stop fighting

Username: Vthviha

Vietnam

I have a ps2 that is asking for a ps2 format disc and i dont know why. it was working fine and then my brother turned it off and canged games and now it either says disc read error or asks for the format disc, it wont play dvds, cds, ps1, or ps2 games. what do you think is wrong with it??

Unregistered guest
I bought my boyfriend a second hand PS2 for christmas and recently it hasn't been reading discs (says DISC ERROR). When he tried to play Gran Turismo 4, it asked for a format disc, what is this?

Unregistered guest
I bought my boyfriend a second hand PS2 for christmas and recently it hasn't been reading discs (says DISC ERROR). When he tried to play Gran Turismo 4, it asked for a format disc, what is this?

Unregistered guest

Fred23477421
Unregistered guest
I can't believe what I'm reading here... How can people be so stupid and still breath? If I wanted to play a game on a PlayStation I'd use a disc formated for a PlayStation. When a system (any system) asks you to insert another disk there's either something wrong with that disk or the drive. Idiots.

blank
Unregistered guest
I also have a problem with the ps2 format disc.
This only happens when I try play samurai warriors. Can you help me?
Email me at bhoodofnod@aol.com

blank
Unregistered guest

blank
Unregistered guest

Username: Dark_d

Hauna, Germany

help you a**holes

Username: Dark_d

Hauna, Germany

Post Number: 2
hhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllpppppppppp

Username: Majestik

What the f*** is your d*** problem?

Username: Mew_two

SANFORD, 547679 USA

trhtherey

SANFORD, 547679 USA

chrome i need you to re register and pick that group so i can send you persenal massege

Username: Master_chief

Cincamati, Ohio Usa

was up yall

SANFORD, 547679 USA

Post Number: 3
nothen up yaa

SANFORD, 547679 USA

Post Number: 4
yo

DAMNFUKASSES
Unregistered guest
F**kin dumbasses, If you read the the error message properly and learn a language properly you will see that when it's says insert a ps2 format disc, it means insert a a ps2 game disc or disc of the correct format e.g dvd+r dvd-r, cd-r cd-rom THESE ARE ALL FORMATS!

Kenjii
Unregistered guest
Yeah, um I was about the format disc problem, just like everyone else I was reluctat to clean it but I forgot that my cousin (he actually owns the PS2) is a real slob, I was curious after reading Fred's and damnfukasses advice to cleaning it. I flipped the disc over and it was a mess, so is the ps2 itself so... today's moral is; BE SMARTER THAN WHAT YOUR WORKING WITH!!

Username: Master_chief

Cincamati, Ohio Usa

ye

Anonymous

ok so u ppl are sayin that my ps2 laser or disc is dirty right

SANFORD, 547679 USA

Post Number: 5
what the heck does ye mean yo not no ye

SANFORD, 547679 USA

Post Number: 6
didididididididididididididdidiiddidididiididdididididididididididdidiudidfididi dididfidididififiddiiddididididididdidididieididididdidididiieidididididididieid iiddididide

Unregistered guest
Every time I put in my Grand Theft Auto Vice City game its says please insert PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format disc. What is a format disc, and what to do when I get one?

ABurzynski
Unregistered guest
I have been having a recent problem with my ps2 system,first before i go on about my problem i have not ever dropped or hit or done any outside damage possible to the system, so i have been playing it perfectly fine until one day i wanted to play it and i put in the game and it is at the main menu of the ps2 system where it has the browser and system configeration or whatever and my game will not load it just says loading disk but it stays to the menu screen, and same with music cds the first song plays but when i want to skip to another song it dosnt play but my main reason is why one game dosnt work i have not tried playing other games but i think it is because the game is scratched... can someone please help me out!!!

Unregistered guest
i play SAN ANDREAS on the PS2 just fine. i put in HARVEST MOON (NTSC) and get the error: put in PS2 format disk.
i am second owner & it works fine on ALL of my other 9 games i just got with this.
thanks!

`420`

Maxxtreme
Unregistered guest
My brother was playing Grand Turismo 3 then i switched disc to san andreas and it said that i should insert playstation or playstation 2 formatting disc.I dont know what i shall do!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
i have a usb flash drive for the ps2 and when i go to mod a game {for ex.} san andres, it doesnt see the file im trying to mod. does any1 know the ps2 file format so itll read it?

headache121
Unregistered guest
u lot r all daft, and asking at the wrong place...search for or ask hear at forums.afterdawn.com the people there have common sense which some of u lot are missing...!

Unregistered guest
All My games keep saying Disc read error how do i fix it????????????

Anonymous

do i need a mod chip to play copied games?

Anonymous

i have jo jos bizzare adventure for ps and i try to play it on ps2 and it says please insert a playstaion or a playstaiton 2 format disc.

Username: Format_disk

all of u. stop f**king ur PS2s

Anonymous

I heard there's 3 ways of playing copied games.

1. get a special disc which you put in the trays internal.
2. get a mod chip, bad idea requires soldering several wires one mistake and you can kiss your ps2 goodbye
3.get a special writing software which can convert the disc type so it is compatible the website is http://www.dvdwizardpro.com/. expensive for that aint it.
know this boy who chiped his PS2 and working fine, so dont be too afraid, its only a chip.

ass_whipper
Unregistered guest
just open up your damn DIRTY!! DIRTY!! consoles on give it a good clean!!!

unKOWN
Unregistered guest
I GoT A GAME IN VIET-NAM AND IT ASKING ME FOR A FORMAT DISC WHAT SHOULD I DO??? DO I NEED A MODCHIP FOR MY PS2 AND WHAT DOES THE FORMATTING DISC LOOKS LIKE HELP ME PLEASE

MikeB
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem.Please help

Anonymous

how do u clean ps2 discs without a game cleaner

Unregistered guest
My game that i got from the U.S.A doesn't work. It comes up with enter format disk. I now know what to do thank you very much!!!

NASHA
Unregistered guest
i bought a cheat disc for gran turismo 4 and sometimes it asks for a format disc and when it does work a message comes up saying "this product is not licenced, sponsored or endorsed by SCEE (sony computer entertainment europe)", so the cd you put in has to be part of the above such as a music cd, and dont put any copies in otherwise it will come up aswell

jordin
Unregistered guest
sony uses dvdrw fromat so when the ps2 asks for a ps2 format disc it is asking for a dvdrw format disc but to burn / copy discs you need a program to fool the computer/ ps2

Username: Frank67blue

when my son starts his ps2 it just keeps coming up on the diagnosis screen/system configuration how do i get off this screen so he can play games please help as hes drivin me insane !

Unregistered guest
my ps2 suddenly fall and i get into matrix stting and i change the ps2 setting to color scheme and psx setting to on and then i save. now its always say please insert format ps2 disc

Username: Limmey

have an old black ps2. just bought a second hand silver version for the kids. doesn't play dvd's or games with dvd format which do actually play on the original console. First of all got a disc read error then got format disc message. any ideas, does it need a good clean or should i just take it back to the shop for a refund?

also in the original manual it shows various set up menus is it worth checking these out and if so how do you access them?

sup
Unregistered guest
i have san andreas n recntly i started over on my next memory card. it worked good for a while then it keeps saying disc read error . help

sup
Unregistered guest
i have san andreas n recntly i started over on my next memory card. it worked good for a while then it keeps saying disc read error . help

Anonymous

Swap Magic works just fine without voiding any warranties you might have. http://www.modchipstore.com you can then look at the memory card exploit as a way of using one ps1 game as your trigger to pull up your hdloader menu... (www.exploitstation.com)... burn your games to iso files with dvd decrypter and patch your forign games with NTSC to PAL converter.... Burn those patched files to DVD and BOOOYAAHH! Swap Magic --> Patched Coppied Game... Pressto!

vark
Unregistered guest
I purchased my PS2 in Canada. Now that I am moving to Spain, what do I need so that it will work there? Modchip? I have no idea.

I would really appreciate any advice.

mrmshah
Unregistered guest
hi ive gt da swap magic disk n i can't figure out how to use it, the person who adviced 2 buy dis plz giv me some guidance thanz!!!

Anonymous

hey ia there some disk u can use to burn games on ps2 and to play it u do not need to use a mode chip

Username: Plastic_scouse

AlcaidesaSpain

Hi,
I bought an american playstation whilst living in the states. I have now moved back to europe and its to much of a hassle to get NTSC Games sent to me. Could someone please tell me how to get PAL games to work in my NTSC playstation. I have heard you can buy a cd of which converts it, but i wanted to get confirmation of this first.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Simon

Unregistered guest
i live in usa and i bought a pal system game and it wont work what should i do?whats best for me?plz hellp

Anonymous

I burned a dvd on a dvd-rw and it says put in a ps or ps2 format disk what do i do to play my dvds

Username: Fred2005

Malaysia

wow! it so hard for me to find this PS2 Format Disc, all of us almost have the same problem. well i need help too, where can i get this PS2 Format disc for SCPH 70006 CB?

Flentare81@yahoo.com.my

mattyp
Unregistered guest
is there a way to convert a ps2 game to a pc game format?

Unregistered guest
I am currently trying to find out how to take a ps2 game copy its contents to my hard drive (I HAVE ALREADY BEEN ABLE TO COPY CONTENTS TO MY HARD DRIVE)and then convert the game into a pc game format so i no longer have to use the ps2 to enjoy its games.I have heard of emulation programs that allow you to play ps2 demos but will not allow you to play full version commercial games on pc because the emulation software is not advanced enough.If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.I can be reached through email mattyp842004@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
can you tell me where i can get a format disc for playstation 2 as i cant play any games on it at all cheers

imm
Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problem with the format disc thing too. How are you supposed to clean inside the playstation 2??? Also, i can't play Lord of the Rings 3. The screen just goes black when it is meant to be loading the disc. If you select it from the browser configuration thing, it just goes black after the Playstation 2 logo comes up. How can i fix this??? My other games work and load properly.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 204
The PlayStation 2 suffers from dust and lubrication problems.

Sony didn't use enough lube on the traverse pickup sleds and the kicker mechanism to keep it running right. (Although, you never want to use too much lube as that causes problems of its own.) The lube that's on there dries up from the dust exposure and causes the bearings to bind on the sleds, which is why you can have a buzzing PS-2 when reading blue-bottom discs while it may work normally for DVD discs. Unlike DVD-ROM, CD-ROM discs require a faster mechanical response from the kicker mechanism to move the pickup back and forth rapidly to assure a fast read. When the PS-2 tries to seek a blue-bottom disc, it tries to move the pickup back and forth on the sled rapidly, but hangs up in the whole process instead because of the bind between the bearings and the sleds due to lack of lubrication, inhibiting free movement. The buzzing noise is caused when the teeth of the rack gear on the pickup jumps over the grooves it was in and then snaps back down on the next set of grooves on the worm gear over and over again.

The best fix is to clean out the PS-2 of all dust and then relubricate the aforementioned mechanical components with high quality bearing oil and molytone grease. What I do to help keep lube on the sleds and bearing is mix 1/3 bearing oil with 2/3 molytone, which creates a loose grease which provides a good lube that stays on the bearings. If you can't find molytone grease, white lithium grease can be used as a substitute. For the oil, use only a quality household oil or bearing oil; never use stuff like WD-40 as it's not viscous enough to be effective and most of the liquid will evaporate after a few days, bringing the problem back to square one.

Anyways, in addition to using the dilluted lube on the bearing and sleds, I use the same stuff on the worm gear as well. I use just enough to form a very thin film of lube on the sleds, but it's very important not to use too much lube as the excess can drip around and cause problems.

I work the lube in by moving the pickup back and forth in the traverse sled path a couple of times, BUT (AND THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT WARNING HERE) you should do this when the traverse is elevated up in its closed position! Moving the pickup back and forth while it is tilted down can damage the pickup! Underneath the pickup is a part of the mainboard shielding, which has a sharp edge. The ribbon harness on the pickup itself, which provides the circuit connections to all parts within the pickup, can be severed by this sharp edge, which will disable the pickup and may be difficult, if not impractical, to repair once this damage has occured.

After the lube job is done and the objective lens is cleaned using medical isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip swab followed by a brief airblast to the lens to blow away any cotton debris left behind, test it and see what happens!

Another thing that can happen, especially if the PS-2 was ever dropped or subjected to a lot of physical shock, is that the tilt adjustment may have gone out of whack, typically due to a center notched leaf spring that locks the tilt gear on one setting. The notch on the top of the spring rests between teeth on the white gear that's situated north of the pickup. Sometimes, due to shock, the spring may slip underneath the gear and cause a massive tilt misalignment, which will prevent the PS-2 from reading anything. Simply put the spring back in its proper place, with the notch going back in between the gear teeth, while holding the gear still. This is hoping that the gear setting wasn't messed up when the spring had slipped underneath in the first place.

As for readjusting the laser gain, that usually doesn't prove to be fruitful. When the laser has deteriorated to the point where you have to try and readjust the laser gain, it usually means that the pickup has gone marginal and will only get worse as time goes on. Besides, accurately adjusting laser power can only be done with a laser power meter (which actually measures the light emission from the laser itself) and the service manual (to know what range is recommended for optimal performance). Misadjusting the laser gain potentiometers, one for the red laser for DVD and the other for the IR laser for CD, can actually make the problem worse if you're not careful! Worst case: you can actually damage the laser diode and its new level of dysfunction would be permanent. The best way to deal with this kind of failure is to replace the pickup with a new one.

Hope this info is helpful. - Reinhart

Username: Taternator90

I bought the game Socom 3 for my PS2 Slim, and I have been playing it for about 3 weeks now and it has worked perfect. I unpluged it to take to my dads house but when wanted to play it, it said please enter PS2 Format CD. I have no clue about the CD or anything so if some one could answer me back on where I can get the CD or e-mail be, I would be happy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
"I bought the game Socom 3 for my PS2 Slim, and I have been playing it for about 3 weeks now and it has worked perfect. I unpluged it to take to my dads house but when wanted to play it, it said please enter PS2 Format CD. I have no clue about the CD or anything so if some one could answer me back on where I can get the CD or e-mail be, I would be happy."

The message that you are seeing means that the disc inside your PS-2 couldn't be recognized as a PS-2 formatted disc. This means the console is giving you a read error.

Was the console ever accidentally dropped when it was on its way to your father's house?

Another possibility could be changes in temperature. If the console was moved from a cold environment into a warm environment (from the cold winter outside to the warm and cozy indoors of your father's place), condensation could collect inside the console, including the optical pickup. The solution for this problem is to let the console sit in the warm environment for about 1 hour or so for the condensation to evaporate. - Reinhart

Anonymous

can i still play the ps2 w/out the mod chip and how or wer cud i dowmload format disk?

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
There is no "format disc."

If your PS-2 indicates that you should insert a PlayStation or PlayStation 2 formatted disc when trying to load a game, it means that the console could not recognize the disc as a PlayStation or PS-2 disc.

If your console is doing this with actual PSOne and PS-2 discs with matching territorial designations between the console and discs (NTSC-U/C, NTSC-JPN, PAL-UK, etc.), then that means that your console has a problem that requires repair in order to resolve (most likely a lubrication issue for the kicker mecha and sleds, a faulty pickup, or from a botched modchip installation).

If the problem is due to a bad modchip installation, you should remove the chip and hope that the improper installation didn't damage the console to where this level of dysfunction is permanent without repairing or replacing the mainboard. - Reinhart

easty
Unregistered guest
I would like to know why my playstation 2 game (NFL street 2) that i bought from america won't work. It is coming up with the message that i need to insert a format disk for playstation or the Playstation 2 if anyone knows the solution to this problem please tell me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
What country did the PS-2 come from?

There are territorial designations programmed into the games and consoles (that's what those code letters like "NTSC/UC," "PAL/UK," "NTSC/JPN," and the like mean on the packaging.

If you tried to play a game purchased in the United States in, say, a PS-2 purchased in the United Kingdom, the PS-2 will not load the game due to the fact that the game is from a different territory than that of the console. - Reinhart

SAKAL
Unregistered guest
I Have a Original Ps2 HD and i want to take a image to put in another HD you can help me?

Ryan McCue
Unregistered guest
OK everybody.
There is no PS2 format disc. This is an encryption on PS2 discs. If a game cant be read, either:
a)The disc has scratches. Wipe it with a cloth or take it to BlockBuster and get them to clean it for you;
b)The game was bought cheaply in an Asian country and it isn't formatted. Buy Swap Magic or get the game from a reputable game store like EB Games;
c)You live in the US and got a game from Europe/Australia or vice versa. Get Swap Magic or buy the game near your home.
The only people here who know what they are doing are Kip Wells and me.
P.S. All your base are belong to us!

Ryan McCue
Unregistered guest
Oh and also:
check out http://www.answerbag.com/c_view.php/1723#q_7939
P.S.You have no chance to survive make your time!

Unregistered guest
I got a Ps2 of a mate i have two games which i enterd rapidly one after another and i cannot acces any of the games it ether says Disk Red Error or enter format disk i was wondering what is wrong and is it my actual ps2

darylw
Unregistered guest
my ps2 game has a scrath on it how do i get it out before christmas

darylw
Unregistered guest
my ps2 game has a scrath on it how do i get it out before christmas

paidvacationtime
Unregistered guest
My little brother tried playing Vice City this morning and the PS2 told him it needed a format disc. Vice City IS formatted for PS2, yet it won't let him play it, and it always let him play it before. What do i need to do to fix it?

pokeman
Unregistered guest
I need help. My ps2 is refuseing to read any thing!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
my ps2 wont let me play what is a format disc and where can iget one. it wont let me play anything not even dvds

The Gunge
Unregistered guest
Quote from DAMNFUKASSES e.g dvd+r dvd-r, cd-r cd-rom THESE ARE ALL FORMATS!

Good to see that you live up to you name.

These are not formats. Thay are specific types of disks that are FORMATTED when written depending on the language that is required for the program that is being written.

eg.Apple format is different to MS format.

These disks are required to be formatted the same way your hard disk requires formatting before you can load anything onto your computer.

PS2 games are written onto DVD and as such are formatted to comply with the region that they are to be used.

Region Countries

0 No Region Coding

1 United States of America, Canada

2 Europe, including France,Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa

3 Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia

4 Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America

5 India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries

6 Peoples Republic of China

7 Unused

8 Airlines/Cruise Ships

9 Expansion (often used as region free)

When considering playing DVDs from other regions remember that the video output format is important. (PAL and NTSC).

With this in mind the options that you have are to,

1 - Buy only games made for your region.

2 - Use something along the lines of swap magic when you want to play the non region games (By the way swap magic is a formatting disk as you are being asked for)

3 - Have a mod chip fitted which by passes the format recognition problem by allowing your console to recognise and play the different games. These mod chips are available to different levels from basic to full expansion. They can be installed by anyone that is competent with electronics or you can have them installed by qualified technicians.

I hope that this helps with the obvious confusion that is being experienced by alot of people and also hopefully sorts out the total bull stated by the know-it-alls that actually know bugger all.

Regards from Australia.
The Gunge

damaged disk
Unregistered guest
WHEN THE PLAYSTATION ASKS FOR A FORMAT DISK IT MEANS THERE IS A FAULT WITH THE DISK. ALL THAT YOU CAN DO IS RETURN THE GAME TO WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT.

Anonymous

Hello everyone I need help I bought a ps2 slim and it on ly plays certain games it works fine with the ones that have blue backs but, whenever I put one in with a silver back it doesn't work and just says to get a playstation 2 format disk Help please

earl ballada
Unregistered guest
can ps1 games be played in ps2 system because i want to play wwf wrestling games but it for ps1

Anonymous

Alright, quick question here, I have a PS1 game "Chrono Trigger" that I'm trying to play on the SLIM PS2, but I'm haveing a problem. This game works on MY "Bigger" PS2 at home, it worked on another friend of mines SLIM PS2 the other day but I'm trying to play it on my son's SLIM PS2, but it asks for that g'damn "Format Disk". I've cleaned the disk and it still refuse's to play.I either have to face facts that THIS PARTICULAR SLIM PS2 just won't see this game,or, there's something else going on. Any Advice?

mangkuk
Unregistered guest
yes ps2 can play ps1 game

ur ps2 cannot read the disc bcoz ur ps2 ntsc-j
and ur disc maybe ntsc-u/c or pal
just moded ur ps2 wif mod chip
u can also use swap magic

installing modchip will make ur warranty spoilt
do it on ur own risk

tterb
Unregistered guest
I just ordered a playstTION 2 game from europe... the guy said he got it in the u.s., but it ended up being from england. Iknow that there is a difference. they use pal and we use ntsc. however, the game is brand new and says ntsc u/c on it, just like my other working ps2 games. I thought this meant that it would work but it doesnt. I have a canadian bought ps2. The game does say make sure you have an import compatible ps2 right on the cover, but if its ntsc u/c , which is what i thought canada and the u.s. used, why isnt it working? Also, the european one says DVD game, and the canadian dvd rom - does this mean anything?
if anyone has any info please let me know!

Username: Trenton

got a ps2 slim first model wit just the ethernet connection on the back do i need a format disk if so where can i get one thanks

Anonymous

to play games online that is. continued

Mad Goalie
Unregistered guest
I am wondering what to do. I've opened up my ps2 and cleaned all the crap out, ive blown the dust, cleaned the lens and anything else i can think of. After i try to get a game to work it starts but then doesnt read it, then trying it again there is another disc read error, should i just toss the ps2 out of a 5 story building, or keep trying

Mad Goalie
Unregistered guest
I am wondering what to do. I've opened up my ps2 and cleaned all the crap out, ive blown the dust, cleaned the lens and anything else i can think of. After i try to get a game to work it starts but then doesnt read it, then trying it again there is another disc read error, should i just toss the ps2 out of a 5 story building, or keep trying

DUDE 707
Unregistered guest
DOES ANY1 AHVE ANY NEWS ON DA PS3 I AINT GTIN DA 360 COZ IM W8IN 4 DA PS3

Anonymous

We got a ps2 last christmas 2004, since then it has worked fine until christmas 2005. I got 6 new games for christmas, out of these 6 games nhl o6 is the only game that will work, all the other games say I need a format disc, whats up with this? I called sony, there is no format disc,we can send $45 for a refurbished playstation or $65 to get this one updated. why should we have to spend more money on these machines, now I can't buy more games either because I don't know if they will work. What do i DO? this is a buch of crap.

Username: Chris2

Kettering

ive got the same problem and i found a disc called swap magic 3.6 you get 2 discs and all you do is put 1 of the discs in and then you play the game and sony have bin told to say that there are no format discs because its ilegal moding

Username: Chris2

Kettering

but there is nothing rong with format discs im thinking of geting one to. i got ihra proffessional drag racer 2005 and its on the us format.

served3
Unregistered guest
u lot r idiots sum1 alredy sed dis but ill say it again. its not sayin put a bl00dy format disk in its says put a : ps1, ps2, or a disk of format e.g: cd-rom cd- dvd-rom are all FORMATS

PS2Slim Jim
Unregistered guest
Can you chip PS2 Slims yet? Served3, apologies if I'm being an idiot!

Anonymous

one of my discs wont work but theres hardly a scratch on it.how do i get it to work?

Anonymous

one of my discs wont work but theres hardly a scratch on it.how do i get it to work?

Anonymous

Username: Abc

how can i play my ps2 games on the computer

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 105
i dont think u can

disc are made for certain perposes

well some prove me rong it may be able to be done

Username: Obliging

Hi There,

I have read all people's entries into this forum. I have the 'enter format disk' issue as well. I am playing genuine PS2 games. A modchip has been installed. I bought a lens cleaner and have run that. It has no problems playing audio, but will not play DVD or the games. Ricky pontings cricket was working, but now all I get is the "please insert format disk" message. After reading Kip Wells it sounds like the kicker mech needs lubricating. Just wanted to see what other people thought.
Regards,
Obliging
P.S Just wanted to mention thanks to Kip Wells who was detailed and helpful as opposed to people who took the opportunity to answer people's queries by calling them idiots or that they were stupid. Amazing that you would take the time to type something abusive rather than help. I bet there are areas in your life where you don't feel confident in your ability.

Username: Nxt

the ps2 laser isnt as good as a normal cd or dvd laser you would find in a computer. if you get a mod chip installed into a ps2 after a while the laser starts wearing out and that could be why there is a "need format disk" or "dick error".

why is this: because the ps2 laser is only ment to play ps2 format, orignal dvd and orignal cd formats.

how can i fix this: well you can either buy SwapMagic v3.6 or later and that would work for 95% of your ps2 games(theres no soldering reqired). you can also buy a mod chip for your ps2 and change the dvd-rom inside the ps2 (which is possible).

i hope this helps.

Username: Darnoc

What and are "Format disc" + where can i get one for ps2

Username: Richy2303

this IS driving me absolutely nuts.
i got action replay 2, which has blue disc base and when i run it on the ps2 it says.
please insert playstation 2 format disc.
what do i do?

Username: Louie_canada

PLEASE HELP ME IM FROM PHILIPPINES, MY PS2 CONSOLE AND GAME DISC WAS BOUGHT IN US.
MY GAME NFSU2 WHEN INSERTED IN THE CONSOLE PROMPTS "PLEASE INSERT PS2 FORMAT DISC"
WHERE CAN I GET THIS..PLEASE HELP ME!! THANKS

Username: Raymondzhao3000

Ok EVERYONE! ALL I NEED TO KNOW IS WAT KIND OF DVD FORMAT DOES THE PS2 PLAY!!!!!!!!

Username: Ianice

San FernandoTrinidad

I also have a PS2 slim ver.it is asking for the format disc and my graphics are freezing up due to it over heating can anyone help

Username: Dobisskill

Northwich, Cheshire Uk

there is no such thing as a disc to format the ps2, what it means is insert a disc that is in a format that the playstation 2 console can read, eg. a ps2 game, a music cd or a dvd.

there are a few reasons why your console will ask for a playstation 2 format disc:
1.the disc that you are trying to play is either a copy or is dirty or badly scratched.

2.your ps2 console needs the inside to be cleaned go to this site for a tutorial:
http://forums.ffonline.com/showthread.php?t=18790

3.your trying to play a game that is from a different country than the one you bought your console in, eg. console is from uk, and the game is from the us. to tell this look at your disk underneath the Playstation logo on the left it will say PAL if the game is a uk game, it will say NTSC U if its a us game and it will say NTSC J if its a japanese game. to play games from a different country than your ps2 or to play a copied game, either fit your ps2 with a modchip from this site:
http://www.memtechsolutions.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=158&osCsid=66a6951a87fee1f5569d3470b6c21b15
this one is the best chip in my opinion.

or buy Swap Magic from this website:
http://www.swapmagic3.com/Upload

hope this helps!!!

Username: Omlette

Let me help everywon asking these questions. First of all, to get your disks clean without cleaner, use a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol and wipe around the disc (it works with any disk). Now for the most common question everyone is asking, "How do I fix those read disc errors or please insert a Playstation formatted disc. This will fix 99% of ALL disk read errors --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're going to be surprised when you find out how easy this is. Read the instructions all the way through before you attempt the repair just so you'll be familiar with the entire process. First take off the outer cover of you PS2. If you haven't done this before, you will have to remove all the screw covers from the bottom of the unit, both plastic and rubber, these will be the only screws you will have to remove in order to take off the outer cover. {mos_sb_discuss:18}
To remove the outer cover, lift up from the rear of the unit and pull towards the front in order to clear the controller jacks and the eject/close buttons. As you remove the outer cover you will notice a small metallic ribbon cable inside the machine leading to the eject/close and reset buttons on the front of the unit, this cable is usually taped to the top of the disc tray. This cable is not a sensitive as it appears; just remove the tape holding the ribbon cable. Once the outer cover is off you need to remove the cover to the disc tray, this will require a rather small phillips screwdriver (I've seen a few that use a standard slotted screw). Now that the tray cover is off, the first thing to do is to clean the laser eye. All you will need is a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol. Just swab the eye a few times and allow it to dry on its own, making sure that no lint was left behind from the Q-Tip.

After the cover is off of the disk tray and the laser has been cleaned you will need to plug the unit back in, (The unit needs to be hooked up to a TV as well to test it while you have it open. You should have a DVD, a game disk with a silver or gold back and one with a purple back in order to fine tune the system to play all three.) It will be necessary to have the unit powered up to perform the repair. Press the eject button so that the tray slides forward exposing the undercarriage. At the back of the unit you should see a small white, geared wheel about the size of a quarter. This little part is the cause of all your problems.

This wheel changes the angle in which the disk is held. You will notice that there is a small metal tab that holds the wheel in place. Take a felt-tip marker and mark the point on the wheel that meets the tab. That way you will always know the original position that the wheel was in. Now that the orig. position has been marked, feel free to spin the wheel for a few full rotations in order to see how it changes the angle. It will only alter the angle a few degrees before it goes back to zero, after it reaches the maximum angle it will go back to flat after each full rotation. Once you've toyed with it to see how it works, put the wheel back to the original position that you have marked. Then advance the wheel about 1/8 of a turn and place the disk tray cover back on top of the disk tray. (You will not need to screw the tray cover back down in order to test the machine; you will only need to hold down the cover with your fingers while trying to load/test a disk) Now place a DVD in the tray and press the eject/close button in order to close the tray and load the DVD (hold down the cover as explained above). Wait to see if the DVD loads, you may have to use the browser in order to load each disk you test. If the DVD loads, eject it and load a silver backed disk, if that loads try a purple backed disk. If all three loaded successfully, congratulations you're finished. If not, remove the tray cover, eject the disk and advance the wheel another 1/8 turn and repeat the process. It just a matter of finding an angle that will facilitate the operation of all three types of disks. Once you've found the proper angle and the system is operating to its full potential, close it up and let'er rip. I also do not recommend placing the PS2 on its side once you have fixed it. Although Sony says they recommend it in the owner manual, I have since seen internal Sony documents retracting the statement and attributing many malfunctions to storing and operating the unit on its side. Keep it flat at all times.

Username: Thinklisten

Ok,When a PS2 askes you to"PLASE INSERT A PLAYSTATION FORMAT DISC." That means your PS2 can't read the disc because it doesn't understand the way the info is writen on the disc, the same way a region 1 dvd player won't play a region 2 dvd or your games are just so dirty and scrached that the drive can't read them, and for people who don't understand that there is no such thing as a "format disc" please give you PS2 to someone who will have the mental skills to operate it.

Username: Thinklisten

ok so i cant spell PLEASE

Username: Whodoescare

http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm

i didnt read all the posts here but because i got bored before i read all the way down

i have this probl...i HAD this problem also. in fact it happened before and since this site is the first one that pops up in google when i type the error message i decided to post here

i got this error when using PS games but not PS2 games. DVDs gave me the error as well. sooner or later it would happen to all the discs.

use the laser cleaning guide link at the top. one set of info id like to leave is make sure you have a really small screwdriver or youre wasting your time, also when you take the cover off BE VERY CAREFUL...there is a metallic band that connects the cover to the system and you dont wanna break it. clean the dust off the lens and you are all set

10-15 minutes and youre done

Username: Mshatraw23

I just bought a game off of ebay and when I tried to play it the screen said to insert a ps2 format disk. What is this and why do I need one to play my game??

Username: Queenneworleans

NEW ORLEANS

i am trying to burn or make capies of my PS2 games, but when i try to play them it is not letting me. It is saying to put a game in or a PS2 formatted disk . Could i be doing something wrong when i am burning them ? And please no smartass answers. I am using cloneCD to copy them. Could that be the problem?

Username: Demented2002

here is what i belive the problem is (1) Sony does not care if it work or for how long it works as long as they get thier money (2) they were stupid on the PS2 games they put a bar code on the bottom center area of the CD a little scratch is all it take to make it not play that game anymore (3) if the cd does not have a scratch on the bar code area then through the PS2 away and get a new one

Username: Omlette

Hey guys, I'm using all this space to get your attention. So many people have problems with playing regular games or burned games that can be solved by reading my previus article that is quite long- read it through. If anything in that article doesn't help or you burned or copied your game, to avoid putting mods or screwing around with the playstation, if it is a copied cme, recopy it using a program to create an .ISO image of the game, and then use a program such as fireburner to extrac the .ISO anto the disk. Now if you just did that or if you are just having problems, get a gameshark, and boot it with that. That should work with all burned games or solve any problems that you are still haveing if you did anything in my last article. If it still doesn't work, your probally wasting your time, since ether the didk is scrached beyond repair, or there is something wrong with your playstation, and it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't, send a message to me and I'll try to help you out.

I hope this helps, I'll repost my previus article to help you if you miss it.

Let me help everywon asking these questions. First of all, to get your disks clean without cleaner, use a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol and wipe around the disc (it works with any disk). Now for the most common question everyone is asking, "How do I fix those read disc errors or please insert a Playstation formatted disc. This will fix 99% of ALL disk read errors --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're going to be surprised when you find out how easy this is. Read the instructions all the way through before you attempt the repair just so you'll be familiar with the entire process. First take off the outer cover of you PS2. If you haven't done this before, you will have to remove all the screw covers from the bottom of the unit, both plastic and rubber, these will be the only screws you will have to remove in order to take off the outer cover. {mos_sb_discuss:18}
To remove the outer cover, lift up from the rear of the unit and pull towards the front in order to clear the controller jacks and the eject/close buttons. As you remove the outer cover you will notice a small metallic ribbon cable inside the machine leading to the eject/close and reset buttons on the front of the unit, this cable is usually taped to the top of the disc tray. This cable is not a sensitive as it appears; just remove the tape holding the ribbon cable. Once the outer cover is off you need to remove the cover to the disc tray, this will require a rather small phillips screwdriver (I've seen a few that use a standard slotted screw). Now that the tray cover is off, the first thing to do is to clean the laser eye. All you will need is a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol. Just swab the eye a few times and allow it to dry on its own, making sure that no lint was left behind from the Q-Tip.

After the cover is off of the disk tray and the laser has been cleaned you will need to plug the unit back in, (The unit needs to be hooked up to a TV as well to test it while you have it open. You should have a DVD, a game disk with a silver or gold back and one with a purple back in order to fine tune the system to play all three.) It will be necessary to have the unit powered up to perform the repair. Press the eject button so that the tray slides forward exposing the undercarriage. At the back of the unit you should see a small white, geared wheel about the size of a quarter. This little part is the cause of all your problems.

This wheel changes the angle in which the disk is held. You will notice that there is a small metal tab that holds the wheel in place. Take a felt-tip marker and mark the point on the wheel that meets the tab. That way you will always know the original position that the wheel was in. Now that the orig. position has been marked, feel free to spin the wheel for a few full rotations in order to see how it changes the angle. It will only alter the angle a few degrees before it goes back to zero, after it reaches the maximum angle it will go back to flat after each full rotation. Once you've toyed with it to see how it works, put the wheel back to the original position that you have marked. Then advance the wheel about 1/8 of a turn and place the disk tray cover back on top of the disk tray. (You will not need to screw the tray cover back down in order to test the machine; you will only need to hold down the cover with your fingers while trying to load/test a disk) Now place a DVD in the tray and press the eject/close button in order to close the tray and load the DVD (hold down the cover as explained above). Wait to see if the DVD loads, you may have to use the browser in order to load each disk you test. If the DVD loads, eject it and load a silver backed disk, if that loads try a purple backed disk. If all three loaded successfully, congratulations you're finished. If not, remove the tray cover, eject the disk and advance the wheel another 1/8 turn and repeat the process. It just a matter of finding an angle that will facilitate the operation of all three types of disks. Once you've found the proper angle and the system is operating to its full potential, close it up and let'er rip. I also do not recommend placing the PS2 on its side once you have fixed it. Although Sony says they recommend it in the owner manual, I have since seen internal Sony documents retracting the statement and attributing many malfunctions to storing and operating the unit on its side. Keep it flat at all times.

Username: Superjimboman

My ps2 won't load any games, instead it says "please insert playstation 2 format disc" what should i do.

Username: Superjimboman

How do you clean inside of PS2s

Username: El_diablo4100

i put nfs underground 2 in turn it on. i get a scratching noise and then it says disk read error plz help cause its my freinds freinds game

Username: Rahman11218

my ps2 is 4yrs old. I been playing my ps1 games for so long on my ps2 system. Now some reason i cant play my ps1 games on my ps2 anymore, when i enter my ps1 games in the ps2, it takes me to a red screen and says "Please insert a PLAYSTATION or PLAYSTATION 2 format disc. Can some one please tell me what i should do now or Whats the problem? I just dont understand why it says that now when i been playing it for so long. i just wanna play my ff7,ff8, and ff9 so badly again. Thats the only reason i wanna play the ps1 games again because of Final Fantasy. Please Email me at Rahman11218@hotmail.com . Thanks} BTW i bought my ps2 at here in U.S}}

Username: Nomad103

A friend downloaded "Smackdown vs. Raw 2007" from a torrent and burned it to a DVD using "Power ISO". There were 45+ RAR files with an ISO image inside them. When I tried to play it on my PS2 the screen turned reddish-coloured and a message appeared saying "Please insert formatted disk". What is wrong?

Username: Bluelagoon

Carephilly town, Ysrad mynach Wales

ok im new here but i have a few answers for you

PS2 Foramtting disc

when you hear of this it dosent meen it wants you to insert the format disc it meens it wants you to inser a formated disc in outher words a playstation game that is formatted in the same regon code as your ps2

UK region is PAL

USA region in NSTC

im not intierly sure on that but im like 95% posative

read errors on the slimline

sony plegded as they new that the erleyer modles of there slimline consoles had faults suck as not being able to read dual layerd discs that theye would replace anny slimlines that didnt read the discs (dual or just constant read errors)
for a brand new console read it up on winkapidia for more info

there are ways of multi formatting your ps2 consoles in anny and all avalable region codes

all you have to do is set a number of
region catagorys in the adapted hard drive of your ps2
(only for modified ps2)(will not work after the 7000 version slimline)components to mod with hardrive removed)

Username: Whodoescare

as stated earlier i believe, its not a playstation brand "format disc" but it means the PS thinks you are putting a different disc format into the PS

such as trying to play xbox games on your PS

as for the people that this happened to when it was only 3 days old i just feel sorry for you, but this happened to me a lot as it got older, i just searched for an online tutorial of how to clean the lens (the laser eye thing that reads the discs) with pictures and itll take you step by step on opening and cleaning the PS. if you dont do it step by step you have a chance of ripping the one wire off and then you have a problem. this will void warranties but who really wants to send it back and waste all that time.

the reason this works is quite easy. the PS doesnt recognize your disc and thinks its something other than a PS game (mine usually did it on PS1 games and DVDs but not PS2 games until later) due to the dust on the lens. it gives you an error that says the format of the disc is wrong which phrased as you heard it can make you think its actually a specific disc with the title "playstation format disc".

anyways to make it short, clean the lens
this also worked for my laptop, which wouldnt read any discs at all and it said my hardware was working fine. although i didnt have to take that apart :-)

Username: Stealthy_striker

PerthAustralia

EVERYONE, THE REASON Y YOUR PS2 SAYS INSERT FORMAT DISC IS BECAUSE THE GAME U INSERTED IS A COPIED GAME. TO FIX THIS GO TO A GAMING SPECIALIST OR SOME PLACE LIKE THAT ASK FOR A CHIP FOR YOUR PS2.

IT'LL HELP PREVENT THAT FORMAT CRAP TP COME UP, AND IT'LL WORK. TRUST ME I'VE COPPED IT BEFORE AN I DID THE SAME METHOD TAKE MY ADVISE.

PRICES USED TO BE AROUND $200, BUT GONE DOWN TO AROUND $50.

IF THIS METHOD DOESN'T WORK PLZ CONTACT ME.

Username: Jade210

Hi, I have got a problem with my playstation one.

Ive had it plugged into my tv and the tv in my lounge and it worked fine. I havent used it in a while so it hasn't been plugged in at all.

I went to plug it in the other day and it came up with the normal playstation logo, but it didn't go to the game screen it came up with a screen with red spuares saying "please insert Playstation format disc."

I have tried different disc's and tried a brand new disc which still says the same. I have tried both tv's i used to plug it in and still the same

The playstation was bought second hand.

If anyone could help me please that would be brilliant.

Thanks Jade.

Username: Knightengale

Hello. My PS2 is having the same problem that Hoyt described.

"I have a ps2 that is asking for a ps2 format disc and i dont know why. it was working fine and then my brother turned it off and canged games and now it either says disc read error or asks for the format disc, it wont play dvds, cds, ps1, or ps2 games. what do you think is wrong with it??"

I am having the same exact problem with my PS2 and its really starting to make me mad. I can only play a select few games where it will be nice and read them.

email me if you can help me!

gensyoku_karyu_xo@hotmail.com

Username: Andy12345225

TemuclaCalfornia

hey my ps2 is saying pleace insert a format disc on only one of my games what do i do to make game work? Email me at astamez@aol.com

Username: Ballsrawls

"My ps2 won't load any games, instead it says "please insert playstation 2 format disc" what should i do."

Kill yourself! You are too stupid to keep living!

Username: Swat

i have modchip in india and it is there in ps2 then also it is asking for format disc game black ps2 downloaded from torrentz

Bronze Member
Username: Acestallion

Post Number: 15
time to buy a ps3

Username: 30leigh

I got bored before I read all the messages. I need to know what program is the best to copy ps 2 games and what disc do I used to copy them to?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16417
i learned something new
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts