Optical Audio Converter

Username: Schlenkster

Post Number: 1
I have been looking around for a way to convert optical audio to the 3 channel RCA output that a computer uses and have not been able to find anything on this. Are there converters for this, or would it be easier to get a sound card that has optical audio in, and use my computer as an intermediary to output sound through the 3 way RCA?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5187
I doubt it. Why would someone want to convert optical to RCA? Normally if an optical output is available, so is the standard RCA output on any device.

If this is your only option (maybe you can explain why you need to do this, i.e. what equipment you have), then it would be best to get a sound card with optical audio in as they really aren't that expensive.

Username: Schlenkster

Post Number: 2
I'm trying to get surround sound from a PS3, which only has optical out, to my surround sound system, which only has RCA in.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5248
The PS3 has an A/V cable that converts the sound output to RCA:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-Composite-RCA-Audio-Video-Cable-SONY-PS2-PS3-NEW-/3901974 90746?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item5ad995343a

If your surround sound system only has RCA-in, then it's going to be pseudo surround no matter what i.e. the receiver will just decode left/right, find combined frequencies and make them center, then set the left and right surrounds at a 90 degree phase shift depending on what type of surround processor the receiver has (as opposed to receiving 5 discrete channels). Even if you had a way to convert the optical signal to RCA, it would still be psuedo surround.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us