Finally, Pics of Pauls setup

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 761
I've had a HT of one form or another for the past 15years, and this is my most recent version. My HT is used 99.99% for theater surround purposes and 00.01% for music.

My newest major upgrades are my YamahaRX-V2500 receiver that I bought in January, and my Mitsubishi 65"HDTV that I picked up last November. Shopping for those is what origionally brought me to this forum. I run a 7 channel surround setup anchored by a 20year old pair of Cerwin Vega D9s that I've recently reconed. They should be good for another 20 years.....Laugh> Before reconing, I shopped extensively for something new, but found nothing that delivers the huge 'theater' experience I crave. These are traditional +-100lb behemoths with 15" main drivers, dual 6.5"mids, and I dont remember the tweeter design. My center channel speaker is also CV, and because my TV is so tall, it sits 5.5" off the ground. Because of that, I have it angled slightly downward to better shoot sound down into the listening area. As you can tell by the photo, it's slightly dipole and angled in the front. My surrounds are 3-way AAL83s. To give you a perspective of their size, the main woofer is 8". Bose161s bring up the rear in back. I bought Bose for no better reason that they 'fit the space', and I have them wall mounted above a pair of double sliding glass doors along the back wall as seen in the photo, and they're angled down into the listening area. As for my TV viewing, I used Direct TV and have the Samsung HDbox to decode those signals and pipe them into my receiver. As for movies, I use a Sony DVD player.
Well....that's just about it.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 762
these are my surrounds and backs.....

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 763
A closeup of the 'beasts'.
One thing I like is that the tweeters have a red reset button and they cannot be blown. Also the woofers have a built in fuse as seen in the front panel. The mids and highs both have separate volume knobs so you can adjust them up or down according to your taste. Also, I like the idea of having dual mids. For my uses, these are ideal. I cant speak for the newer CV speaker models, but I wouldnt trade these 20year old behemoths 'even-up' for new speakers costing much more.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 235
cool setup paul, love those beasts

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 361
Movie night at Paul's place...let's go!

Silver Member

Post Number: 774
The movies of the night were "Gladiator" and "National Treasure". I need to watch NT again because I slept through part of it.......Heh Good movie though.

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 134
HAHAHAHA cerwin vega. I love it man. Gotta bit of old school in your blood. Nice system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 839
HEH....thanks(I think).
All the electronics are new though......

I've had a change in plans....... The old 'beasts' will be tamed very soon because I'm expecting a new beast to arrive on Friday. Once my new 'beast' breathes life, the CVs days may be numbered.

I'll find out if this 140lb 'monster' bites in less than 3 days:-)
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb12_plus_2.htm

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 145
Id get a set of klipsch speakers up in that with that sub. That would be god like in sound. looks good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 873
This is one sick and nasty beast of a sub.
Upload

And yes, it bites.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 279
christ that thing is huge!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 878
LOL...

You should hear it. It's beyond words, and I'm still in shock. That thing puts out like you wouldnt believe.

Username: Markdallaire

Brooks, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 3
paul that sub is a mean sub what are the statistics of that sub tell me more

Username: Markdallaire

Brooks, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 4
paul that sub is a mean sub what are the statistics of that sub tell me more

Silver Member

Post Number: 928
Mark,
There is a link to the manufacturer site about 4 messages up the list.

It's the SVS PB12-plus/2. Before ordering a sub that big, you'll definitely want to make sure you have a place to put it. Its truly a beast, and has the most incredible combo of pure brute force, ultra-smooth response, and finese from the same unit that I've ever seen. I feel fairly certain that this sub will 'dust' competing subs costing several times more.

Bronze Member
Username: Duckmanx

Post Number: 19
OMG. In case the sub speaker or amp blows, you can take out the components and make your son a treehouse out of it...

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 45
Woooooooooooao---that is hugue --I will like to try thaty in my place...

Silver Member

Post Number: 948
Trust me, it's a lot of fun. Last night, I had the house to myself long enough to watch 'Terminator 3' at reference levels for the first time with the new sub. Wow, if you like thunderous movies, this sub delivers pure movie nirvana and with the Gain only at around 40%.

Out of curiosity, I went outside during the movie, and the loud segments were making the table and chairs rattle to the vibrations out on the back deck.......HEH

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 22
very nice setup paul...good to see youre a man who knows when to keep a jem. Id make ur son clean ur system though, lil buggers like our toys more than theirs

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 71
DAMN DUDE, that a HUGE system you got.... Almost big enough to fit in a 10 car garage.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1683
Ahhhh...thanks,

I do get a lot of enjoyment from it. My son doesnt clean my system, but he did throw a raquetball in one of my subwoofer ports once. I was able to pick it out with a long sweeper extension. HEH

Going "OUT" to the movies isnt even worth the trip anymore. I much prefer the movie experience at home.

Bronze Member
Username: Stereo_genious

USA

Post Number: 15
Paul, did you say that you had those Cerwin-vegas since high school/college? If so, I am so jealous of you. I am just as much into stereo equipment as you are, and all I have in my room is a JVC shelf stereo, and a cheap component stereo with tiny bass-shy bookshelf speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1705
Yea, I bought these during my junior year in HS(1985), but I never had them in the dorms when I was in college.

I did bring them to my apartment for my senior year though, and as you can imagine, they got plenty of use and never got a scratch.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 16
You are so lucky! I am already almost a sophomore in college and not once have I ever had big tower speakers in my room. Tell me, how did you save up for them, and how did you convince your parents to let you get them?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1716
I had a summer job, and paid for them myself. As for parental permission??? My father is a HiFi nut too, so that was never a concern. When I was a kid, he would always go HiFi shopping with me, because he was as 'geeked' out about shopping electronic toys as I was......probably moreso.

The funny thing was that my dad wanted me to buy the bigger CVs, and I bought smaller Sansui towers(3-way towers with dual 12" woofers) against his advice. The Sansuis were a couple hundred less, and I went the cheaper route. He told me that I would later regret not spending more for the bigger speakers because I would always have them.

The Sansui towers were junk, and I was constantly blowing tweeters. After 1 year suffering, I sold them for practically nothing, and then bought the speakers he told me to buy in the first place.

How funny is that??

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 204
Mike, Im also a sophmore in college, and bro, saving for some towers isnt all that hard. I build mine myself tho. Eclipse subs, Zapco amps, Homemade converter. Solid. 10,000 watts rms now. It will make a pregnant lady burst. Lol. All i say man, u want something bad enuf, u will get it.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 17
Thank you guys for your time. I really appreciated it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1740
Whatever you do, avoid the 'dainty' lightweights....

Go with something that has substance like the, well....you know.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 18
By the way, Paul, tell me what you think of the following tower speakers: Sony SS-Mf750H ($279.95/pair), Cerwin Vega CLSC-12 ($379.76/pair), and JBL Northridge E100 ($998/pair). Any opinions on these speaker models?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 19
Also, what does your wife think of those Cerwin-vega behemoths of yours? Does she hate them or like them?

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 771
You can get E90's at www.onecall.com for 207 ea , way better deal than the e100's.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 22
Why are the e90s better than the 100's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1747
Mike, I havent had the opportunity to audition the models you listed, so I couldnt comment on their quality. As for the spouse?? I had those speakers before her, so they came with me as a package deal.

LOL

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 23
And what are the dimensions of your living room?

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 778
14' x 16' , standard double wide livingroom.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1752
My HT is slightly L shaped and 20 feet front to back, and 25ft left to right. The TV and components sit in a small area recessed about 5-6feet back from the main wall in a nook.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 356
Paul,

My A-Ls would eat those tiny little CVs for a snack, I think. Maybe I will have to get those puppies reconed. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1808
HEH...

I'd like to see them try.

As far as reconing goes....I had my speakers reconed in the recent past, and they're as good as new:-)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1422
I envy the TV and sub, obviously! However Paul, you might want to consider raising your CVs just a bit, so that the tweeters are at ear level to your sitting position. Since the SVS is doing the low end now you won't lose any bass that way, but it should improve the clarity of the CVs.

Two pairs of these should do the job:

http://www.accessories4less.com/Amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId=14916471VMO-EVEREST- CI46&ic=SD%2DBB75%2F16&cc=&tpc=

Gold Member

Post Number: 1851
Bad link eddie....

BTW, I've recently been experimenting with a lower selector level and set my SVS down to the 16hz setting tonight .................holy JHC!!! I likee!!

I was using 20hz pretty much as default because even at that level, there is still a fairly strong response to near 16hz.

Now at the current setting, I'm closing in on 11hz:-) Whoah.....it's amazing what you can feel!!
Unfreaking believable

Username: Matt9876

Post Number: 8
What do subsonic bass frequencies (bass frequencies below 20 Hz) sound like, Paul? Can you even describe them, or not?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1860
It's not always about what you can hear, but what you feel, and you will feel the difference all over(and deep inside) your body.

Username: Matt1234

Post Number: 1
Hey, Paul. What do you think of this beast?

Upload

It has dual 15 in. woofers, a 6 in. midwoofer, and a 1" soft dome tweeter. The sensitivity of this speaker is 97 db. What do you think

Gold Member

Post Number: 2093
I'll be willing to bet that monster can really rock out, however I've never personally listened to that model before.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1077
Often what you feel inside your body is called the infersSonics range.....20Hz to 0Hz.

And are bodies resonate at 7Hz, if this where to be matched via an array of huge 18inc sub bass units placed wall to wall with there own amplifiers driving them and sine wave of 7Hz where to be played, at a high SPL db level it would match the bodies own resonate frequency and will cause disorientation chest pains and even fatal death I Kidd you not.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2110
I guess Im lucky that my sub can only reach 11hz in a well treated room.

I wont have to worry about that:-)

Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 6
Paul, I am sorry to bother you again, but I have another question for you about Cerwin Vegas. Since you seem to be a Cerwin Vega genious, I figured I'd come to you for advice. How harsh do Cerwin Vegas sound in the treble? I have heard good reviews about those CLSC-215's having lots of bass, but if they have harsh treble, I ain't buying them, because I have a JVC shelf unit with pounding bass and harsh treble, and while it does impress me with its pounding bass, its harsh treble makes radio DJs sound ten times more annoying and grates on my ears. I love a lot of bass, but I cannot stand harsh treble. Therefore, do you have any answers? If not, that's all right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2271
Matt,
My speakers are 20 years old, and I dont know how they compare to the new speakers. I've never heard those speakers, but I highly doubt they scream like DJ speakers. It's really apples to oranges when comparing to those PA speakers used by DJs. If you're looking for 'rocking' speakers, I doubt there is much out there that will hold a candle to them.

Bronze Member
Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 18
Thanks for your advice.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1577

quote:

And are bodies resonate at 7Hz, if this where to be matched via an array of huge 18inc sub bass units placed wall to wall with there own amplifiers driving them and sine wave of 7Hz where to be played, at a high SPL db level it would match the bodies own resonate frequency and will cause disorientation chest pains and even fatal death I Kidd you not.....

So that means frequencies below 5-6hz won't kill us? That's very interesting, does anyone have an article or link to this?

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 274
Andy Anything under 10hz is not recognizable by the human ear. Plus i guarantee no sub on the market will hit below 15hz. Its pointless. You wont even be able to hear it. O and like jexx braught up, it wont kill you, it wont harm you, you wont even hear it. Lol Andy, for a gold member to say such things, idk it should alost be a crime. do some research before you go telling people pointless info. ANd paul. dj speakers are nothing like home audio. They cannot replicate the sound that a good home audio sub can. Dj speakers are designed to be loud, and loud only. They will not sound crystal clean in any way, and by this i mean dont just say uhhh they sound good tho, im talkin specs, if you get a meter up in there, the home audio will spank the dj speakers almost everytime (for comparable subs/speakers). I kno this because i have a few buddies that are club dj's in nor cal, so i get to work with alot of dj equip also. :-)~ Just thot id put my 2 cents in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2352
Those arent DJ speakers. You've never heard my speakers, so I hardly respect your ability to critique their sound. All you are is a stupid fagg 'left' coaster anyway so your ignorant statement comes as no suprise. Why dont you go hump your husband Bills leg or something and stay out of my thread.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 276
You talking to me paul, or Andy, kuz i wasnt in any way replying to anything you said paul, i was replying to what andy and matt said, and uhhh who said your speakers were dj speakers. Cerwin Vega makes car audio and home audio tweets,mids,components,and subs. So yea, i know they are not dj subs, and i dont think anyone in this post said they were.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 277
still, i like that powered sub.It would be flippin awsome to get a lazy boy chair, hollow it out, and put that b!tch under the seat. LOL. Imagine watchin nascar or something with that. LOL \

have you thought about running a media center? By that i mean use a computer with windows media o/s on it, and get a d link, or linksys wireless media receiver. You can play movies,music,look at pics. The os is like 200,and the receiver is like 200, I just thot id mention it, Its kinda pricey tho, but i definately give it a 9 outa 10

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 278
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=4667615&search=linksys+m edia+center
LINKSYS MEDIA CENTER
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318
D-LINK MEDIA CENTER
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx
O/S

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 279
thot some links would help

Gold Member

Post Number: 2354
Yea, that powered sub is really nasty. If I mistook your DJ speaker comment, then I apologize for my response. And no...that sub would never fit under a seat....

Not unless it was a captains chair....LOL

Anoynymous
Unregistered guest
Paul,
You need new curtains.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1683
Those would be drapes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here