DVI Single link vs. Dual link

nismo604
Unregistered guest
what's the difference, which one is the way to go, bought both single link from monster and a dual one from Belkin

mmm
Unregistered guest
Dual link will support both formats, while single link will only support single-format. However, there are almost no devices on the market today which offer dual-link, so it really doesn't matter either way. Whichever cable looks better to you.

Unregistered guest
who do you think will win?

Unregistered guest
Hello,

Single link DVI is able to transfer 1920 x 1080 resolution vs dual link 2048 x 1536
If your equipment does not specifically state it is Dual link in its specifications, it almost certainly is not. A better quality cable is a better quality cable, and single and dual link has nothing to do with quality. On the other hand, if both devices being connected support Dual links, then a dual link cable is the proper cable for the application, and you will have the capability of much greater resolutions and refresh rates. A properly designed Dual link cable should have no negative effects when used with single link equipment.

Thank you
Mike

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 18
The difference between the two is that the dual-link contains additional wires, and if both your DVD player and display are set up to handle dual-link, the use of these additional wires lowers the bitrate, increasing the effective bandwidth. However, as mentioned previously, there are very few devices that use dual link. Using a dual link cable for single link offers no advantage.

SillyG
Unregistered guest
2048x1536 is supported by single link DVI AND even some analog vga cards released 4+ years ago (vodoo 5 5500 is a good example of an older analog only card, look at the specs). Don't comment on stuff that you know nothing about.

poobah48
Unregistered guest
SillyG is incorrect, and is not using good form, either. The sites I have visited indicate the values for single vs. dual link just as Michael indicated.

Unregistered guest
Kids,
I have to say I agree with SillyG Iam using an MSI
RX600XT-VTD128E wich goes up to 2048 x 1536 /85Hz
on a Apple cinema display 23inches (1920x1200/75).
I believe the card is single link. Im thinking to move to the ACD 30i, but I will need a dual link.
The best dual link card I have seen to feed enough this monster with pixels is the Elsa NVIDIA quadro FX which can go up to 3840x2400. Indeed, since elsa says it will work with it, this one is dual link.
Cheers.
Mike

macker
Unregistered guest
The problem is not whether it _can_ do higher resolutions, the problem is whether your refresh rate will be sufficient. It's like trying to attach a garden hose to a fire hydrant.

Single link is not recommended for very-high-resolutions because you'll be stressing the limits, have to cut into the blanking space, and other tricks which should work 98% of the time. But dual link was created expressly for the purpose of very high resolutions, so-as to not sacrifice quality.

Anonymous

It's a pure Pish Skiddler of a dilema.Fly Fly away to...................IRAQ!!!!

StoneNewt
Unregistered guest
This is a simplified explination but it shows how you can push 2048x1536 down a DVI-I or DVI-A cable

2048x1536x85 = 267386880Hz or 267.4MHz (asuming no blanking space), a single link DVI-D connection has a 165MHz dot clock to play with so that obviously isn't going to work, PCs have a trick up their sleeve which is to strip almost all blanking information out of the signal allowing access to resolutions beyond 1600x1200, (fwiw 1920x1200 is basically the highest standard resolution available beyond 1600x1200 which a single DVI-D link supports as 1920x1440 requires a shade under 166MHz for the displayed pixels)

So how do we get to 2048x1536 @ 85Hz? Well 267.4MHz < 400MHz, add a little in for your blanking porches etc. and you have a near 400MHz dot clock. 400MHz being the typical analogue RAMDAC clock these days, a DVI-I or DVI-A cable can transmit that kind of bandwidth, so simply the graphics card drops into analogue mode when you try to go over a set thresh-hold.

Username: Cableguy949

Post Number: 3
Here is another website with some info on HDMI cables http://www.cyberxlink.com/hdmi_overview.php

gregisgreg
Unregistered guest
Apparently some monitors DO NOT work with a dual link cable because that just happened to me with an IBM 21" flat screen CRT monitor.

I tested the dual link cable with other monitors and it worked fine, but when trying the dual link cable with this IBM monitor... nothing... as soon as I switched it with a single link cable... works perfect.

Anyone have an explanation for this?

jukey
Unregistered guest
sorry, no explanation. but i found an image that shows all the types of DVI and how the connector looks. click here to see it

Username: Mbappe

Post Number: 1
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a dual-link DVI-D to drive two independent pictures on two independent displays?

I know there are computer video cards that can drive one analog image and a separate digital image and combine them in a single dvi-i connecter, right? So with a dongle you can get two different pictures on two different monitors, right?

Is it possible to do something similar with a dual-link DVI-D?

Heck, why not go all the way and add the third picture with analog in a single DVI-I?

Username: Glen_davis

Hi Folks

I have an interesting problem that someone might be able to assist with.

I have been using a STB with my PDP TV for over a year now connected by a DVI Single Link cable. Just recently I purchased a DVR and a HDMI-DVI Dual Link cable. I don't get any signal, just a purple scan line at far left of screen. I had understood that a DVI Single Link input plugged into a Dual Link cable would just "pass through" the second channel, as the Dual Link was backwards compatible with the Single Link input.

Any thoughts?

Glen

Username: Installations4u

Manlius, NY US

Post Number: 4
You might be interested to know that the highest resolution of HDTV (1080p) can travel flawlessly over HDMI and that HDMI has the same video transmission capability as DVI single link (minus the RGB analog video wires and digital audio wires). There is no need for dual link DVI in HDTV.

Username: Highdefgamer

so according to scotts post- I just ordered a sharp 1080p 37'' with no dvi connection, just hdmi. My video card does appear to output a dual link dvi, but according to what you just posted i would get no better resolution or any other benefits by getting a dual link dvi to hdmi cable correct? I just recieved a single link dvi to hdmi and I was worried i would be missing out on something.

Username: Tomo22

Nakhon RatchasimaThailand

I am trying to connect my PC to my Projector.
The PC video card has 2 dvi i connectors for dual display or a HDTV out connector. Using the HDTV connector I can get 1080i. Fine However I would like to output in Computer Resolotion 1024 x 760.
I have a 15 meter HDTV cable RGB and purchased two VGA to RGB converter cables. My projector has VGA imput with this arangment I can still only get HDTV outputs is there a work around or do I need to purchase a long VGA cable.

Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 7
Jon,
Scott is right. You will miss nothing with this connector. I would suggest that you up-grade your video card. Most cards handle 1080p with no problem switch to one that can drive your very large monitor with a HDMI out.
your friend,
Db

Username: Anyer

Post Number: 7
DVI signal link supports 1600*1200 at 60 fps at max
DVI dual link supports 2048*1536 at 85 fps at max
and DVI dual link is backward compatible with DVI signal link in both technical and physical specifications with nothing to lose. Choose which one to connect, depends on the max capacity of your VGA card.

Username: Zowie123

Hi, I have a Gforce 7700 in a Asus G1 laptop, it has 1 dvi out, probably not dual link. I would really like to run a hi res 30" monitor from this laptop. I tired using the Apple 30" but only got 1280x800 res, I can't find a Dell or Samsung 30" monitor in town to try out, but I know the Dell requires a dual DVI too. Are there any 30" monitors that will work at high resolution, or is there some work around? Can I use an external video card?
This card/laptop runs my view sonic 22" without a problem. Thanks very much for considering.

Barry
Seattle

Username: Lifedrain

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1868

DVI-D Single Link Cable, Certified HDTV 1080p.

Should I go for this, or an dual link cable?
From my computer and into a 42" Full HDTV

Suggestion on other cable?

Bronze Member
Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 72
Which 1080p do you have/
Db

Username: Lifedrain

Post Number: 2
Tatung 42" : V42EMGI

http://www.tatung.com/en/dm_422.asp?prod_id=V42EMGI

Username: Duropc

I am working on a military application where we need to drive a display that requires Dual link DVI - 2560x1600, 60Hz video.

Can anyone recommend a good video card that will handle Dual link DVI - 2560x1600, 60Hz?

We are planning to use the video card in the following rackmount computer system that has PCIEx1, PCIEx16, PCI and ISA slots, so we should be able to accommodate many interfaces.

Username: Duropc

I think I may have answered my own questions, and thought I'd share...

Looks like a card from PNY (link listed below) will work in the DuroPC industrial rackmount computer system we build (link also listed below) to supply the required Dual link DVI - 2560x1600, 60Hz video output.

DuroPC Model RAC104:
http://www.duropc.com/industrial_pc_options.php?cPath=38&products_id=104

Username: Gtgmac

Hi, I have a LCD TV Sharp Aquos 52" and I'm trying to connect it with an AverMedia AVerTV DVI Box9 via DVI to HDMI and I have no results, meanwhile if I plug it via VGA (with a DVI to VGA adapter) it works, somebody knows why?
Thanks a lot

Username: Mrbios

San Diego, CA

How does DisplayPort aka D++ which works with HDMI and DVI-? I have heard that DisplayPort (DP) may not support Dual Link DVI. Is this true? It would be nice to update this thread with new standard and how it fits in to the mix. Thanks to the technical posters as I learned a bunch!

Username: Gpsjane

I heard that DP doesn't support single link correctly but does support dual link. I am having problems with a MacBook Pro DP to VGA using single link cable. Is there a reason why using a dual link cable would work better?

Username: Lvhjr

Cinnaminson, NJ United States

DisplayPort is compatible with VGA, DVI and HDMI, that are single link. To support a dual link DVI signal requires an active DP converter. Here is a link to most of the adapters available.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/computer-parts/computer-cables/monitor-cables/displayport-cables/c20000-c21000-c21100-c21104.html?sorter=productname-en-asc

Username: Gpsjane

That's interesting because my DP to DVI single link is not working.

Username: Lvhjr

Cinnaminson, NJ United States

Post Number: 3
Check the output resolution from your DP and confirm that the DVI monitor will support it.

Username: Jstmars

I need to run a DVI-D cable from the DVI port on my ATI Radeon 9550 video card to the DVI-D port on the back of my 52" RCA rear projection TV model 52RWH74. The TV supports input signals of 420i, 420p and 1080i according to the speces. I dont't why it doesn't list 720 in the specs. Anyway, after reading throught this forum; I am still undecided on which cable to run to the TV - single link or dual link. Any opinions and advice would be helpfull. I'm leaning towards the single but I can get the dual link cheaper.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us