Hook up stereo to tv

jayr04
Unregistered guest
how do i do this if my tv only has a rf input? and i dont have a vcr and i dont want to have use 1.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 25
Do you want to hook your stereo to your TV to use it for speakers? OR do you want the sound from your TV to go through your stereo for a richer sound?

If the latter you need to have audio out from the TV (usually 2 RCA type analog connectors in red and white). [If you don't have audio outs then you'll need some other device to split audio out of the RF TV signal.] Connect the Red and White wires from the TV to "Line In" or aux input on your stereo. You should then be able to play the sound through your stereo speakers.
If the former you need some kind of modulator device that can take the audio inputs and output it on an RF line. I think a lot of these were being sold after Christmas for people that bought a $30 DVD but didn't have appropriate input jacks. You would need to run the Red/White analog wires to the modulator. And the modulator to the TV RF in. You would also need to set the TV to whatever channel the modulator was programmed for (usually ch 3 or 4). I have a no idea what would happen to the picture. It could be a blue or black screen or it could be all snow.

jayr04
Unregistered guest
i want the sound from my tv to be heard on my stereo because i have a surround stereo.the tv only has 1 cable input and no outputs. i recently switched to direct tv and the way its set up there is no cable box and the cable wire goes directly to the tv and my tv has no outputs of any kind.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 26
Does the cable box have any other outputs? They should be active. In particular if there are RCA connector outputs (looks like round silver connectors that protrude from the back of the cable box, generally three in a row with one colored red, one colored white - they are the audio - and one colored yellow for the video you won't be using) they would need to be routed to your stereo. If the cable box doesn't have outputs either then you're going to need another box, like the VCR you don't want to use.

Unregistered guest
Hey all. I have a similiar question that has got me puzzled. My uncle gave me a PROJECT reciever from the 70's and it's killer. Subwoofer rocks and I have four speakers hooked up to it. DVD player audio out is plugged into the AUX inputs for the reciever and I won't watch another DVD using the single speaker off my RCA TV. Is there any way to get the audio from my TV to play through my stereo without buying another TV with audio outputs on it? I was going to disconnect the single speaker and rewire the line to go directly into my reciever but don't want to screw it up and be without a TV. The back of my TV only has a Cable Input, Audio/Video Input. No S-Video In, Audio/Video output. It's only a 19". I could just go out and get a new TV, but I don't think I could offload this TV on someone. Help. Please. Model of my TV from RCA: http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI700107,00.html? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Just so I'm clear: I want to hook my TV up to my reciever so I have better sound.

Anonymous

i got the same problem..... i got a tv that has only audio inputs i want to hook up my surround system to my tv without using my vcr.... is there any way to do that?

thanks

sonso
Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook up my stereo speakers to my tv for a richer sound. My tv only has the coaxial jack and no input/outputs. I bought this Rf Modulator that has output RCA color coded (red, white, yellow). In my stereo it has a red and a white port that says AUX in. Now on the front of my tv I have a white port that says Audio in and a yellow port that says video in. How do I get my speakers to play the sound from the tv. ( I was thinking that i may need to hook up the audio in from the tv to the audio in into the RF modulator, then getting some more cables and hooking the red and white AUX in from my speakers into the audio out into the Rf Modulator.. I would appreciate it if you help me out :-).

Unregistered guest
i have an rca stereo system with two outlets in the front that says L game which is white and a red one that says R mp3. i want to hook it up to my tv that has a yellow and white which i think is audio and video and a headphone jack. how do i hook it up to my tv.

Unregistered guest
i have an optimus sta-3190 reciever that im trying to hook up to my tv so that my tv will play out into two speakers i have hooked up to the reciever..but all i can get it to play is the radio and stuff i cant get it to play whats on the tv..ive tried to put it into all the inputs but all my tv has ins one audio hook up and one video..so im unsure on how to make it work...any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Unregistered guest
i have the same problem...
i have a TV with NO OUTPUTS and RF Modulator. But the RF Mod. only adds another INPUT, that's not what i want. I want TV outputs. is there a way to reverse the RF Mod.? or is there a similar device but takes the cable TV cord and extracts the Video, and both audio channels (Yellow, Red and White) that way i can just hook up everything else to a reciever, and "extract" the audio from cable TV and plug that in to the AUX (or any other) input on the receiver.

David Ford
Unregistered guest
you can go to wal-mart and buy a Belkin FM Transmitter. Plug that into the TV and then tune your FM stereo in to the set station. and it will play through your stereo. That is probably the cheapest way to go. The Transmitters are $19.68.

Unregistered guest
ok ive been having the same problem with hooking up three video game systems and a vcr and have them all on the stereo. My tv has 2 video/audio inputs and one of the coax cable hookups. My vcr has 2 inputs, but it also has an out put. I sugjest buying a vcr (or vcr dvd combo) and using hooking everytihing up to that and then using that to change the chanels and stuff. You can use a splitter to hook the vcr to more than one thing. NOTE: You must use a VCR or a VCR combo because the DVD players dont have a reciver that can change chanels. Hope this Helps

david193653
Unregistered guest
i got a suround sound from toys r us but my tv only has a white output soket and so my suround sound only plays through 1 speaker how can i fix this?

Karenjaz
Unregistered guest
I'm totally confused about how to hook up my dvd player (Coby) to my vcr (Magnavox) to my tv (Magnavox - old and only one co ax outlet on the back) to my receiver (Pioneer) and last but not least, my speakers so I can have a higher quality sound out of my tv. I do have an A/B splitter. Hints and help gladly welcome, I'm turning very blonde at the moment. Thanks!

Anonymous

I have a Panasonic DVD/VCR player, JVC RX517V receiver, COMCAST cable box and a SONY Trinitron TV. I want everything to go thru the receiver so I can have stereo sound. How do I wire this?

Anonymous

I have a JVC home theate system that only plays region one discs - Can I hook up a second dvd player that is region free and incorporate it into my current tv/home theatre set up?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 235
Yes, as long as you have spare inputs on receiver (optical/coaxial if you want surround).

Eric Tion
Unregistered guest
im Eric Tion and i have a friend jack meoff and he cant hook up his reciever so that it can use ps2 and a dvd player inthe same speaker

Unregistered guest
how can i hook up my tv, (so sound from tv plays(comes) out of the stereo speakers.)also i would be hooking up a ps2. i only have out red and white out puts on my tv ------------
pleas very important

Unregistered guest
ok my tv has no red white or yellow hook ups but i have a vcr. how can i hook up speakers to my tv and play my ps2/xbox and here loud sounds.

Unregistered guest
I want to connect my Tv to wireless head phones. The TV has no stereo jack but only Audio Out (Red & White). The headphone base has only input for stereo jack.

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 12
Hitender,
the sort of thing that it sounds like you want is a Twin Phono to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Lead:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=2&d oy=4m12

You should be able to get one of these from any reasonable A/V cable vendor.

Username: Needalilhelp

Post Number: 4
for the ppl who are having the problem with the tv, is you do not have a RCA output on it, go get a cheap VCR. or a adapter of some sort. and hook the coax's from the vcr to the tv. then use the audio outputs on the vcr to go into your amp/receiver. but the only problem u will ahve is that a vcr, has only one cannel ouput. so unless u wanna hook all ur speakers up to the right front and right back channels on ur receiver, its not gonna work ur was, it might not help you, but in some cases a VCR is cheaper than a new T.V :-)

now i got a question for yall technicall inclined. i have a JVC receiver, it has frontright channel, backright channel,frontleft channel, and a backleft channel. i can seem to hook my speakers up so all the channels work, i have these push buttons on my receiver, that says.. speakers 1 and spaekers 2. and it says on the receiver, when the button is pushed in for speaker 1 its on, and when its out its off, same for speaker 2, i dunno if i should have both on or what, but anyway, right now i have both on, and i can only get 2 channels working, and there diagonal from each other, like im using the positve port frontright, and the negitive port for backright. see what im saying, when i hook for speakers up to the channles normally, ethier only one channel works right, or one side doesnt, and i cant seem to figure it out....if you guys could help me out and try to explain whats up with this, would be so helpfull to me. THANKS PPL!!!!

Despardo...
Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect my rf modulator to my vcr - dvd recorder and tv. I need the picture to show from my camera(plugged into the in on the front of the DVD... onto the tv to record but I only have one option from the tv where does that wire go? To the modulator or the DVD or the VCR????/ I am so totally confused that I have disconnected everything and am sitting in a room of wires....

Unregistered guest
i HAVE A STEREO MINI PLUG 3.5MM I HOOKED IT TO MY
JVC STEREO IN THE AUX JACK, AND HOOK IT UP TO MY
VCR ALONG WITH MY PS2 NOW HERES THE PROBLEM I CAN ONLY GET 1 SPEAKER TO HAVE SOUND AND THE OTHER DOESNT HERE NOTHING THERE ARE ONLY 4 THINGS ON THE BACK AUDIO IN YELLOW AND WHITE AUDIO OUT YELLOW AND WHITE NOW THE MINI PLUG HAS 2 HEADS
BLACK AND RED I ONLY CAN GET 1 TO GO IN BECAUSE ITS THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKS I WANT BOTH TO GO IN SO I CAN HERE OUT OF BOTH OF MY JVC SPEAKERS

Unregistered guest
hi yea i recently got a magnavox surround system and i was able to get it connected to my tv which only has the white and yellow connections and i wanted to get my xbox connected to it also but everthing i have tried doesnt work so can anyone help

Unregistered guest
I have an orange digital audio output on my Mitsubishi tv...what cord to I look for in the store to hook the tv up to my surround sound stereo? Do I hook in another device before I connect it to the stereo? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2217
They sell it as "digital coaxial cable", this should connect directly to the digital audio input of your receiver.

Anonymous

My stereo has no aux in, is there any otherway to do it for TV surround sound

Antelope
Unregistered guest
This issue has been brought up many times. I'd like to simplify the question so perhaps I can get an answer.
I have a tv with a cable in and audio/video in, but no audio out. I want to hear my tv through my surround sound system, but don't want to use a vcr. Do you know of any devices that will allow you to hook up your cable in, then send it out to the tv, and also has audio out ports to send to the surround sound receiver? Basically I want the audio out ports found on a vcr, but don't want the vcr. I'm looking for the name of the device so I can search for it. I'll likely end up going to Radio Shack for help, but thought someone would know.

Unregistered guest
I have a Zeneth HDTV model#s R49W36,R56W36 and a fisher model#TAD-9725 With comcast HDTV box how would I hook my stereo to the tv so the sound comes out of my stero? and I do not see a audio plug on my stereo just a video and phono plug.

Unregistered guest
i have an xbox and i want to convert 2 RCA jacks to 3 stereo jacks so i can have surround sound when i play my xbox!

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 13
Sorry xbox_guy but that's just not possible.
What you are saying is that you want to turn a stereo connection (2 signals) into 3 sets of seperate signals (6 signals) all with different surround information.
To achieve what you want you require a surround processor. From 2 RCA jacks the surround field created would be some form of Pro-Logic. Most processors will also have a digital input which is a better option to use with the X-box as it allows the transfer of 6 discrete signals.

The surround speakers that you have (which I'm guessing are designed to be used with a 5.1 soundcard on a PC) may have a 'matrix' or some such mode that tries to create a surround effect from the 2 RCA inputs. I'm afraid that this is the best that you can manage without investment in a surround amp or processor.

Home cinema (surround sound) enthusiasts don't invest hundreds of pounds or dollars in surround equipment for nothing! You get what you pay for.

If you're happy with just getting a matrixed sound, you'll need something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F007%5F002%5F003%5F009&product%5Fid=42%2D2551

Unregistered guest
hello i am trying to hook up a dvd player to a tv but i cant cause it dont have any of the yellow red and white plug in things help what kind of adapter to use
u can email me please ozonepkwoman31@aol.com

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 23
Evelyn,

The cheap solution though is to use an RF modulator to convert the signal into one that you can use via the antenna connection.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B00009MDBN

The signal that you get from this will not be as good as you should get from DVD. If you got the DVD player in the hopes of a better picture, what you really need is a new TV.

HTH :D

Anonymous

xbox guy, logitec sells a converter to do what you want to do. You can order it direct from their web site. logitec.com

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 26
Anonymous,
You could have posted a direct link. I assume that this is what you are referring to:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=958 5
Unfortunately, this does not do what xbox guy wanted. He wanted "surround sound". All that this gives is multiple stereo sound from only 4 of his speakers rather than all 6 as the adaptor only has 2 jack plug connectors.
As I said above to get surround from a stereo connection requires a surround processor.

Anonymous

Everything seems to be goiung 5.1 6.1 7.1 ??.1 for surround sound these days. The local stores only seem to stock surround receivers and not much for stereo anymore. I like my stereo music. I don't want a 6,7 or 8 speaker setup but I would like to try and extract the centre channel to improve voice when watching some movies where the blended stereo seems to be lost in all the surround effects.

Can I effectively make 3.0 surround? I'm thinking maybe I could get all left and right sent to my stero and push the centre channel through to the TV speakers? Does this make sense? Is there a cheap surround prcessor that will do this?

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 28
Anonymous,

Most home receivers allow you to specify exactly what surround speakes you have. For example on my Yamaha I can set the rear speakers to large, small or off. When set to off, the decoder sends the signals that the rears would handle to other speakers, i.e. front L & R, centre & LFE (subwoofer).

Here's how I would achieve what you want to get...

Set rears to off on processor. Leave centre on, but don't connect a speaker.

Connect the centre speaker pre-out (one RCA) to the TV audio L & R in using a one RCA to Two RCA splitter. This effectively sends the centre sounds to the L & R TV speakers.

This may not be as easy as it sounds... for my TV this would involve getting some kind of odd scart connector or adaptor that allows an RCA audio in connection, but if you are not from Europe, you probably don't have this problem, and possibly have a handy pair of RCA in plugs on your TV.

Now you can just switch to Stereo mode for music, or decode mode for films on your 3.0 (3.1?) system.

Hope that helps, :D

Unregistered guest
Hey i just brought a new sony flatscreen i have a reciever then my dvd player and i want to hear my tv through my reviever since it has surround sound now i have the inputs i just brought a red and white black audio cord wasnt cheap and he told me i should put it in the video 1 just red and white and through the back of my tv red and white i did that but cant get anythin through my speakers. someone told me i could get a cable box before i brought all the wires and well how can i hook up the surround sound is there a way to do it do i have to go into my menu on tv or something to get it.

Unregistered guest
hey, i have a problem, i have this old stereo and i want to hook it upto my tv so the sound from the tv comes out the stereo speakers, but my stereo has no inputs and it only has a headphone jack on the back :S is it possible?

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 29
Joe Martin,

I don't recommend this, but you may be able to rig up one of those car cassette adapters (for connecting an portable CD player etc. to your in-car cassette system) to this purpose.
You'd need a few cable adapters and plug converters, and you'd possibly need to remove the cassette player door from the stereo.

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 30
Matt Ryan,

This may sound rude, but did you ever hear of punctuation?? The lack of it makes your sentence difficult to comprehend.

I don't know about your model, but on my Sony TV you have to go into the audio options and turn ON the external speaker option. This will turn off the TV's speakers.
I have to do this every time I turn on the TV. To get around this I set sound on my receiver to my satellite box or DVDR (which are also plugged into the receiver) when watching TV.

joe_martin_nz
Unregistered guest
lol, i think i'll just sell them both and get something decent :-) thanks for the help craig

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 33
Sounds like a good plan ;-)

Kevin123456
Unregistered guest
Basically when you have a TV that only has a coaxial input (and no other outputs) there are 2 solutions. First, buy a new TV, second buy a VCR with audio outputs. The problem lies in the audio tuner. Both sound and video come through the coaxial cable, and the tuner that seperates the 2 is in the TV. VCR's with audio output can solve the problem, but then you are destined to flip channels using the VCR remote. The other option is to upgrade to a TV with audio output. Sorry to dissapoint... I ran in to the same problem myself. Looks like you can find a decent 20inch with audio outs for between $150 - $200.

Kirkland
Unregistered guest
Okay, I have a Mitsubishi 35 inch tube with all the jacks, 2 VCR's, 1 DVD Recorder, 1 DVD Player, 1 DTV
TIVO unit, and a A/V Surround sound receiver. I have dubbing cables hooked up for my both of my VCR's, I have my DVD recorder and DVD player setup to dub and now would like to be able to hook up my DVD recorder and a VCR to the TIVO unit and also would like to be able to record from the DVD recorder back to VCR. I am lost on what to do as I don't have any jacks left. Maybe I can't do everything I want to do?
1. VCR to VCR for dubbing
2. DVD Recorder to DVD Player for dubbing
Would like to have:
3. TIVO to DVD Recorder
4. TIVO to VCR
5. VCR to DVD Recorder

Graham Prior
Unregistered guest
I have a similar problem.
I have a tv/video combi with a coxial and SCART sockets
Portable DVD player which i have linked from a thin cable to SCART to a SCART adaptor to my TV/video
Xbox which is linked to my tv/video via SCART.
and a hi-fi with the thin wires with no connection end, just a strippe bit of wire.
How would i link the Xbox, if not all 3 devices to my speakers of my hi-fi to get a better sound?
Any help miuch appreiceated.

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 37
Graham,

Several scenarios below that may work:

If the TV has red & white audio out connectors and the stereo has the same for input (marked as AUX perhaps) use a stereo interconnect.

If the TV has a headphone socket, and the stereo has red & white audio out connectors for input you can use a stereo 3.5mm jack to stereo RCA connector.

If the TV has red & white audio in connectors and the stereo has a microphone or LINE in socket, use a stereo 3.5mm jack to stereo RCA connector.

If the TV has a headphone socket and the stereo has a microphone or LINE in socket, use a stereo 3.5mm jack to stereo 3.5mm jack connector.

HTH :-)

Graham Prior
Unregistered guest
Cheers. The tv does have audio in connectors (Through SCART) and the stereo has headphone socket.
Thanx for your help. Might try that!

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 38
Graham,

Umm, sorry, I made a mistake in the 3rd option, that should be TV with audio OUT.

And plugging a signal into a headphone socket on the stereo won't work. It would need to be a microphone socket.

/Craig

Unregistered guest
hey people ive got a tv and i want to link my stereo 2 it so i can here the audio through the stereo however the stereo does not have any ports apart from the 2 normal speakers can i still link them up???????????????????????? if so how????????????????????

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 40
Andy,
The simple answer is no. If there's nothing to hook up to you can't hook it up.
Buy a new stereo if you have your heart set on it.

/Craig

Username: Chrismendez87

Post Number: 1
Hello. I need help in hooking up a TV to a RCA stereo so I could hear the TV from both my TV and stereo. I have an antenna, not cable. I have the three colored plug-ins: red, white and yellow, in the back and in the front of the TV. There's also an s-video in the back. I have several cords that have these plugs on both ends of it. The stereo has red and white holes; I guess it's for aux. Can you help me, please? Thanks. Chris

Unregistered guest
how do i hook up my van tv to my stero and i also have a ps2 and a rf connector what goes to what can anyone please help me with this

zzz
Unregistered guest
I bought an s-video vcr and now the connections between it and the tv and stereo don't work the way they used to. I used to have the audio out from the vcr to the stereo, and even if the stereo was off, the sound came through the rf when the vcr was playing. Connecting the line-out from the tv to the stereo just gives me louder tv-quality sound. The bottom line is that now I have to turn on the stereo to watch vcr tapes.
Any ideas? Thanks.

BigKahuna
Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi TV with S-video and RCA-in and -out jacks. I have a Yamaha HTR-5650 receiver, Sony DVD and PS2. I have the DVD working properly by using the S-video connection, but how can I use the AUX ports on the receiver for the PS2? Or do I need an A/B switch type of thing? Or is there a better way of hooking PS2 and the DVD up?

Thanks.

Ghost Rider
Unregistered guest
The cd ports on your amp are digital, use them.

Ghost Rider
Unregistered guest
Seems a lot off ppl are getting confused in here,so i'll try and explain the basics,if your devices have a red and white connectors on them,then these are solely for audio (these are left and right channels that give sound to your left and right speakers).

The yellow is a composite that provides video pictures (i.e camcorders,playstations etc).

If you have a scart on the back of your tv then this also is basically is another version of red white and yellow combined.

If you have two scarts then you have an in and an out which allows you to chain mulitiple devices together.

Its also possible to buy scart boards that let you run more than one scart device even if you only have one scart socket on your tv.

There is also splitters that give you the red white and yellow from a sprout on a scart(this lets you utilise the sound and audio inputs)i.e lets you plug a video and a dvd into same socket(you wont be abled to run both devices at the same time tho).

Basically common sense is needed when rigging up this gear.

Do one thing at a time and make sure its working before moving on.

The only ports on the back of an amp that you can use for digital signals (cd players,videos,tvs etc) are the aux and the cd sockets all the others will be analogue unless stated.

Analogue means tape decks,record decks and most instruments like guitars etc,analogue is natural sounding whereas digital is processed thru computer chips.

Ghost Rider
Unregistered guest
how do i do this if my tv only has a rf input? and i dont have a vcr and i dont want to have use 1.

Simple buy one of these.

DELUXEMOD RF Modulator box
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page4.htm#rfmod

Graham Prior
Unregistered guest
Just got a new hifi. It has Coax IN so could i link this to the TV/VCR headphone socket or SCART White Red Yellow outputs or wouldn't that work.
Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 367
If it is "Line in", the white and red from scart should be OK.

Cheers
AL

Graham Prior
Unregistered guest
Don't know what it is. All i know is i use the SCART for the DVD player at the moment but have one of them adapters to plug 3 in to one socket. The thing on the stereo is AUX IN.

Ghost Rider
Unregistered guest
http://www.revealcable.co.uk/acatalog/Coaxial_Adapters.html

Your hifi supplier should also supply the relevant lead,if not go to the above site where they should be abled to find your coax to phono/jack.

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 41
Graham,
Sounds like you have the right idea.
The 3 into one socket will be directional though... Scart has audio L/R in AND audio L/R out, I would imagine that the Scart connector is for plugging into the TV which means that the audio connectors are wired to the audio L & R in pins.
Your DVD player should have a red and white audio connector as well as the Scart (most do). Keep the Scart plugged into the TV, preferably on an RGB enabled socket, as opposed to S-Video, but also run a stereo cable from the DVD player to the Aux in connectors on the stereo. Any standard stereo cable should do, but it may be worth investing about a tenner to get a reasonable one of a suitable length.

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 42
Ghost Rider: [quote] The only ports on the back of an amp that you can use for digital signals (cd players,videos,tvs etc) are the aux and the cd sockets all the others will be analogue unless stated.
[/quote]

This is nonsense.

If it's got 2 connectors (generally red and white) it's analogue, simple as that. You can connect whatever device you like to these amp connectors, the labelling is just for convenience. The 'digital connections' mentioned above TV, video, CD etc. are always analogue connections unless they come from a specific digital out connector (either co-axial or optical).

If your amp doesn't do digital processing, it won't have a digital connector. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, analogue stereo sound from a CD player can be excellent, but despite the media being digital, the output is analogue.

Single connectors, usually clearly marked as 'Digital in', will transfer digital audio to a processor or decoder (often built into surround sound amps/receivers) over a single co-axial or optical cable.

Hi-Fis with a minidisk or cd player may have a digital OUT, but this cannot be used to connect something IN.

Ghost Rider
Unregistered guest
[quote] The only ports on the back of an amp that you can use for digital signals (cd players,videos,tvs etc) are the aux and the cd sockets all the others will be analogue unless stated.
[/quote]

[quote]This is nonsense. [/quote]

Sorry that should have read:The only ports on the back of an amp that you can use for digital audio signals etc etc...

Altho i disagree with this statement "If it's got 2 connectors (generally red and white) it's analogue, simple as that."

Try pluggging your cd player into your phono or tape deck sockets on the back of your amp,you ll notice theres no sound if you try it.

As for tv/video signals then you either need a composite (yellow phono socket) or s-video or equivalent.

Joe Campbell
Unregistered guest
My surround speaker wires were run through the wall and the wires (positive and negative) are both the same color. How can I tell if I have connected the wire "in phase?"

Unregistered guest
hello.i have speakers from my sony sterio system that i would like to hook up to my tv so i can play playstation with the sound coming out of the tv and speakers.they are boombox speakers and they r just a red and black wire and at the end are to little wires sticking out that you usually just stick into the back of the sterio. but i want to use them on my tv. i notice that people are talking about a vcr and i do have one. please help me.i would appreciate if someone could email me.i really dont know anything about all this stuff so try to explain it good.thxplease email me at javierj24@yahoo.com

tabasco
Unregistered guest
How do I connect the center channel outs (pos and neg) from my Receiver to my TV center channel input which is just a single black plug?? The black plug on the back of the TV looks similar to the black plug for the receiver's sub out. I've read the manuals (didn't want an rtfm reply...), but they just say "connect to receiver" or "connect to center channel". No help when the connections aren't the same.

My TV is a new JVC and my receiver is a Yamaha HTR 5740.

Thanks for the help!

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 43
Tabasco,

The first thing I would try is connecting from the centre channel pre-out on the receiver to the centre TV speaker connector using a standard audio interconnect (like the sub-woofer one). It's likely that the centre will still be amplified by the TV, so you don't want to pass an amplified signal to it (the bare speaker wire connection will be amplified).

HTH

Unregistered guest
ok guys... listen if you want to hear sound out of your tv through your speakers all you have to do is pick up one of these http://www.esound.co.nz/catalog/images/p17200.gif , just use it the same way you would with your portable cd player in your car. just shove it in your tape deck press play and plug the other end into your tv or whatever, then u can also just use your tv remote to turn up and down your volume, hope this helps.. thats what i use anyways because im too cheap to order digital cable and buy a digital cable box, and there is alot less screwing around.

Unregistered guest
I was Wondering how i can make my Panasonic 5 disc cd changer (2005 model)make the sound come out of the TV? I can make it work for my DVD player but not TV, well i can but i wanna make it so i dont have to un hook the RCA cord from the DVD each time i wanna watch TV.... I'm sick of always un plugging PLEASE HELP ME i'm lost. Heres my email adress coz444@hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
I want my TV, DVD player & VCR to play thru my stereo's speakers. How do I accomplish this? Here is a list of the components I have: Panasonic Stereo System w/2 speakers (SA-AK27); Phillips/Magnavox 27" TV w/basic Comcast cable (NO BOX); Magnavox DVD/CD player (MDV 435); Memorex VCR (MVR4040) & a GE Switch w/3 different INPUT stations & 1 OUTPUT station. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

I have Plasma Akai PDP 4294 EDTV
Yamaha 5635 Av Reciever
Jvc DVD
I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE BEST PERFORMANCE POSSIBLE WHAT CABLES DO I NEED ?
TV have all conections & DVI(no optical)
DVD have compenent video , optical ,S video,audio
Reciever has s Video Optical etc but NO component Video
I am trying to get best sound and picture availble can get

BarbaraJ
Unregistered guest
OK! So it is the same basic question as everyone above, just a bit more details:

I have direct TV from the wall.

I have a TV, it is has the red/white output jacks in the back.

I have TIVO box.

I have DVD player.

I have VCR.

I have stereo I want it all to play through.

What order do I hook them up in? I am pretty sure everything has the red/white jacks in/out.

Do I need an A/B switch or some other splitter thingy???

Please advise.

Many thanks,
Barbara

Anonymous

i have rogers digital calbel and everythings great. but i have a digital audio out on the recevier and i dont know what its for and i would like to use it.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have an old TV and I just want to add an headphone jack so I can use my wire less headphone while I watch TV, I think that I can do that by installing the jack using the speakers wires, then when I connect the headphone there is no sound through the TV. Am I rigth, can somebody give me a hand? Thanks

Anonymous

I have a Panasonic Tv and and JVC Stereo system. I would like to hook up my stereo to my tv so I can have surround sound? How do I do the wiring?

Rob5371
Unregistered guest
I've read several of the same q's about connecting TV to stereo w/out A/V outputs. My q is: Would an RF Modulator work just like a VCR?? I have one even with A/V outs but it still doesn't work!!?? Pls help! = )

Anonymous

I hooked up my cable line to my fm receiver and I could pick up no fm stations at all, just static. What is my problem?

Anonymous

is there anyway i can hook up my tv to my speakers, on my tv it has cable in , video, and sound,jacks and i just have some speakers from a stereo

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 798
Not without an amp, unless you want really quiet sound.

Anonymous

My 24" flat screen TV has Audio R/L out, but it has no headphone socket. How I can hook up head pnone?

Anonymous

My 24" flat screen TV has Audio R/L out, but it has no headphone socket. How I can hook up head pnone?

Unregistered guest
MY question is that I just bought a JVC stereo, http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/28/7034032ra0tc.jpg and I want to play the sound from my TV through my stereo and I need a cord that will goto my AUX input on my stereo and the Left and Right A/V inputs on the front of my TV. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3294
You need to look in the back of your TV and check if it has A/V outputs. That is the only way to output sound from your TV to your stereo, neatly.

Unregistered guest
Yes it does and I was just wondering what cord i need to get when I goto best buy tomorrow. THNAK YOU

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 47
Nappier87,

Sounds like you need a stereo interconnect. This is the standard sort of cable used to connect seperate Hi-Fi equipment and should be easily available.

When you connect it up, you may have to set the TV to use the external connectors using the on screen menu. You may have to do this every time you turn on the TV (my Sony's all require this).

HTH,
Craig

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 48
Anonymous,

The audio outs will be unamplified. You will either need to plug them into a small amp designed just for headphones (these are available) or into a full amp, then plug headphones into that.

HTH,
Craig

k8
Unregistered guest
i have a microphone ( regular) and i dont know how to hook it up to a speaker. i tried the tv, sterio and just regular speaker but nothing works... hope you can help,
k8

Anonymous

i have my ps2 plugged into my stereo but i cant get any sound the only choices are radio cd or casset so how do i get the sound

moonchild-
Unregistered guest
Hello, Alright, my problem is this: i want to hook my computer up to my vcr/tv/stereo.. see i've already hooked my comp to my stereo which works perfectly but what i want to do now is to get my videos from my comp to play on my tv through my stereo/speakers ya follow? if someone could help me with this that'd be great cause i cant seem to get it to work.. PLEASE email me with your reply at moonchild.thepusher@gmail.com cause chances are i wont remember to look back here for a response Thanks so much in advance!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3943
Do you have a video output card on your computer? If you can make your computer to connect with your stereo then all you need is to make video go to your tv. You will need a video output card.
From there you will get instructions from the manufacturer of the video card on what you need to do and connect.

moonchild-
Unregistered guest
er.. im not to sure see the guy who sold me this computer had it hooked up to play videos from computer to tv. so im guessing i have that card.. will i need another cord like the one i have already thats connecting the comp to the stereo? its er.. red and black inputs(?or outputs?) and then the single black on the other end.. sorry im not really good with electronics as you can tell

Unregistered guest
hey i need some help hooking up a little project i have my tv hooked to my stereo system but i always have to turn my volume as high as it will go in AUX how do i fix it to where i can use just normal volume?? thanks for your help. Also i have a sub that sits under my bed that is also hooked up to my stereo system but i guess it will only hit to the amount of wattage as the stereo system has huh?? thanks guys ~knate

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung plano TV with no inbuilt socket for headphone.How can I connect headphone with TV.
It has only Audio & Vedio out.

Yo Son
Unregistered guest
Hey I want to hook up my xbox to my stereo to my t.v and I have a VCR. Now the problem is my t.v. only has one antenna in and no AV outputs. Now I know I put my xbox to my VCR and then my stereo to my VCR then my antenna in to my t.v. from my VCR. Now my problem is I'm not getting any sound from one of the speakers and I've checked every plug.

Anonymous

Hello Luke Halonen,the only piece of electronic product that I know of for now that can do what you want is a stereo vcr.The RF signal goes into the ant.input of the vcr and is converted to AV from the AV output yellow,red and white of the vcr.
Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
I have an older t.v. that has no a/v output jacks on the back. My stereo has no input jacks on the back. I've read above in this thread that I could run a cord from the headphone jack on my t.v. to the microphone jack on the stereo. My friend who has some experience with electronics swears it wont work (impedence or something) because the microphone jack will be too sensitive. So, has anyone ever actually tried this and had success???? Thanks for any help people.

needle
Unregistered guest
so i have a new tv, and im trying to hook up my stereo to it so i hear the tv sounds thorugh my stereo. I have the red,white, yellow spots in the front and in the back fo the tv, and then on my stero they are only in the front. how do i do this

Theresa
Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook a microphone up to a shelf stereo system. Is this possible and is it possible to get an extension for the microphone cord and then hook it to the stereo.

Unregistered guest
Hi
I have 5.1 PC speakers with 3 stereo Jacks. I want to connect those speakers to my TV. My tv doesn't have headphone knob. I thought i can use Y connector(1 Female Stereo to 2 rca). But it has only one stereo. I am looking for 3 stereo jacks (female) and 3 male or female rca adapter. I don't know whether it is possible or not. Could somebody please provide some info what exactly I need to convert the 3 stereo jacks of my PC speakers to 3 RCA (red yellow and white). Also please provide where can i found that adapter

JL
Unregistered guest
Randy, It won't work, your friend is right

Needle, you need audio inputs on your stereo, (red and white RCA inputs) you will however need a vcr or a dvd player because the inputs are only outputting sound from one output, (video1, video2, game, etc. etc.) your vcr would have to be set to work in one of those to extract the audio, and you would have to watch tv through your vcr.

Theresa, your shelf system needs to have rca inputs, then you would need to go out and get the proper adapters and chords, but it is possible only if your stereo system has audio inputs (red and white input things)

Suresh, you will need a vcr or dvd player to extract the audio and video from the coaxial cable. from the dvd or vcr you can then output to your computer like you said.

Anonymous

Need owner's manual for JVC RX-517V Receiver

Anonymous

How do you make a suround system out of your stereo, so that you can hook it to you TV?

Anonymous

I have a tv, vcr, and dvd player but no amp, is there anyway to hook up speakers to one of these for movies and music without buying an amp, i cant afford one right now

kid_donno
Unregistered guest
Hi i have a portable DVD player and I was wondering if I could hook up my PS2 so I could play it in the car. Or if I could hook up a t.v and PS2 to a ciggereete ligter could i do this? and how.

Eckzwon
Unregistered guest
I got a slight problem. I have just recently set up a home theatre pc. My toshiba 51" is attached through a dvi cable and my 5.1 sound card is connected via a monster fibre optic digital to a dolby digital and pro logic jvc receiver. This receiver is set up for 5.1 sound but the problem is when I do sound tests on the computer it seems the only two channels working correctly is the left and right. The others hardly emit any sound whatsoever. I've tried just about everything from updating my drivers, enabling 5.1 on windows xp, to setting up the newest ac3 filter. Now the default surround sound mode my receiver goes into is pro logic. Does that have anything to do with this?

Eckzwon
Unregistered guest
I got a slight problem. I have just recently set up a home theatre pc. My toshiba 51" is attached through a dvi cable and my 5.1 sound card is connected via a monster fibre optic digital to a dolby digital and pro logic jvc receiver. This receiver is set up for 5.1 sound but the problem is when I do sound tests on the computer it seems the only two channels working correctly is the left and right. The others hardly emit any sound whatsoever. I've tried just about everything from updating my drivers, enabling 5.1 on windows xp, to setting up the newest ac3 filter. Now the default surround sound mode my receiver goes into is pro logic. Does that have anything to do with this?

Unregistered guest
I want to hear my tv through my stereo speakers. My tv has the yellow & white output jacks on front. My stereo is a Sony MHC-GX25 stereo with no AUX jack, but it does have a yellow jack on the back. Can this be done?

Jukey
Unregistered guest
Eckzwon,
try changing it to Dolby Digital or DTS. that might help.

ic,
yellow is for video. i don't know why your Stereo has a yellow jack. maybe it's orange. if it is orange, that's a digital audio input that caries 5.1 surround sound. make sure the yellow and white jacks are output. there is only one white output so it will be in MONO sound. i don't know if that will work.

suresh,
when you say stereo, you mean 3.5mm headphone, right? so, 3x 3.5mm makes a surround sound system. the green one is for front l/r the black one is for center/sub and the other one (i think it's yellow) is for rear l/r. if you wan to connect your TV it will be in stereo. you need a y cable and connect it to the GREEN connector. if you want 5.1 you need a special digital antenna tuner or a digital cable box/satelite box. if you have that then please post again.

hope i helped :-)

Unregistered guest
need to have instructions on installing a wireless head set on a t.v tht had audio input only,bought a rf modulator,hooked as per instructions,no sound,all light indicate working,curious as to why an 3 year old t.v. isn,t equipped with an audio out put jack . electronic stores need to look into sales of items that require modifications . thanks for making this simple to see if i need to up-date television.

Anonymous

I need help, bad. I'm trying to hook up my toshiba dvd player to my direct tv box to my magnovox tv and i can't please tell me what to do

Username: Clos69

El Paso, TX

My TV does not have an output and everyone says the only way to do it is by connecting an RCA adapter to the headphones jack but I want to keep my built-in speakers. I've drawn out a plan on photoshop as to how I might be able to get what most of us are asking for but I want your opinions. Will this work? I haven't tried it because I don't want to ruin anything although I don't think it should.

Here's my idea...
Upload
Please comment on it. Thanks

Username: Clos69

El Paso, TX

Post Number: 2
I think you need a headphone amplifier or else you're going to have to raise your volume more than usual. By the way, this didn't work. Well it works if you don't want to use your built-in speakers and don't mind turning on the stereo everytime you want to watch tv. Me, I don't like to watch the news with a surround and don't want to turn my tv to unplug the headphones jack everytime.

Username: Kobrien5

Hey I have standard stereo and I was wondering If i am able to hook up the speakers to my computer in any way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5049
What kind of audio ouputs does your computer have?

Unregistered guest
where can I get a device that will fit in a handy box in the wall that I can hook up 5 pairs from my speakers, I do not need rca plugs just want to attach wires to it in box and run wires from the outside to my tuner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5182
check out partsexpress.com.

juggaloinspace
Unregistered guest
how to i hook up my ps2 to my cable box and git a picture

Anonymous

i think that someone took a wet cloth all over my cable boxed and it moooood
what do i do?

Unregistered guest
how do i connect the following

1. hd cable box - via component cables
2. dvd/vcr box - via component cables
3. philips 50" hdtv - via component
4. denon 7.1 surround sound

how do i connect all these in what order?

also, does anyone make an hdmi cable i can field terminate? i have a 1" conduit to the tv on a wall and only component and audio cables going to the tv.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6295
go here for reference

http://www.ce.org/connections_application/

Username: Vingoto

i have a panasonic sterio system with 2 speakers that are wired. is it possible to turn the same speakers into wireless by using a wireless audio router or something.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8622
Yes it is possible. You are going to need a wireless receiver with an amp to power the speakers.

Username: K12

I have a tv with 2 holes(yellow and white)in the front and my stereo has a total of 6 holes on it
and ive tried hooking a white cord in the tv hole and tried all the holes in the stereo to see which one worked only 2 of them worked for this but i hear an annoying buzz in my speakers but I can kind of hear the tv in the buzz.Is there any way I can get rid of this buzzing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8735
Is there any writing in the back of your stereo?

Username: Buggz79

NairobiKenya

Hi Folks.

Here's a quick one.

I have a Sony RG475S which has a 3.5mm line in connection. I want to connect it to my Sony TV which has RCA outputs (Red and white) for enhanced sound.

Now, i got a 3.5mm stereo - Twin RCA cable and tried the connection. I got a loud buzzing noise from the HI-FI and very low volume from the TV. The buzzing reduces when i remove any one of the RCA plugs and touch the male pin to the outer housing of the female plug on the TV.

Any ideas on whats causing this?

Username: Huckle

You guys are great. I hope you can help with this one. I have a TV that only has a single set of red, white and yellow video input ports. These are currently connected to my Tivo box's A/V output. The Tivo box also has two sets of A/V input ports. One of these sets is currently connected to my DVD/VHS player. What I want to do is have my TV connected to my stereo. Is this possible? The only available outputs that I have are on the back of the DVD/VHS player. These are labeled as "DVD/VCR Out", "Component Video Out" and "Audio Out". Would connecting any of these to my receiver IN ports work? ("Phono In", "Tape 2 Monitor In", "LD/DVD In")

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10132
Yes, you can use Tape 2 or LD/DVD Inputs.

Username: Huckle

Post Number: 2
So the other end should be connnected to the DVD player outputs? This does not give me sound from stereo. Maybe this is just not possible.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10443
Yes. Then go to the DVD players set up menu and configure it to output stereo and not digital output.

Username: Zoods

okay all of these post deals with problems with the television... well i have outputs on my tele but the speaker inputs are these thin little cords with postitive and negative on them... can i like convert those to RCA for the t.v. or something?

Username: Doug517

i got a new vcr/dvd player for christmas and i want to know if you can hook up a stereo to a tv that only has coaxial attachments with the vcr without needing to buy any adapters

Username: Ddpg08

hey,
i have a panasonic stereo, and am looking to hook it up to my tv in order for the tv to play out of stereo speakers. The stereo does not have an aux input but it does have a mp3 line in does anyone know of modulator or converter to make this work?

Username: Dfagaly

i moved to a house that had some existing equipment and now i am trying to combine a few things but i have had no luck in making much work.
the equipment is:
1) a cable box (Motorola Starfone SF2)
2) JVC a/v receiver RX-717VTN
3) Zenith XVB243 DVD/VHS player
4) a pioneer PD-F906 CD player (seems to work, but only thru front speakers)
5) Bose Accoustimass 7 bass module, left front, right front, and center speakers
6) unknown rear speakers mounted in ceiling
7) they left a Radio Shack RF modulator 08A00 as well and I have no idea what it does
8) the TV is a toshiba 65HDX82 wide screen projection with multiple inputs (2 antenna and 3 video)
9) the boy has a sony PS2, but that can just be hooked to a spare TV input as it is not required to go through the surround sound.

i'm so confused even though i can usually get this stuff. so how do i hook this up and are there any special settings i will need to do?

the cd player does play although only thru the front left and right speakers

i had a dvd playing, but nothing thru the rear speakers and no without the cable hooked up

the cable box works as i put a little portible tv there and tried it

thanks for any help

Username: Calvin_02_21

alright, i've got two old speakers with just red/black wire ports, and my tv has full yellow/red/white ports, how do you suggest i hook these up?

Username: Markg222

hi i have had my tv jacked to my hifi for about a year now running two speakers and have recently bought two rear speakers but cant get them working.hifi supports dolby and has surround plug ins but rear speakers only work when i have cd player on but not through aux, any help would be greatly aprreciated

Username: Andy12345

we're trying to figure out how to hook up our separate speakers to get the tv's volume through them as well. we have the tv, vcr as the middle man, then the speakers. Its worked in the past until the new samsung tv. but is the problem that theres no audio in or out(on the tv)? its just audio left and right then two for av and a video hole.. is the problem that theres no in/out? and if so what can we do so that it works?

Username: Succubus_demon

Ok I have an oldschool tv from 1995 that has a coaxial cable on the back. I bought an rf converter to hook up my xbox 360 and it works fine, my problem is an annyoing humming sound coming from the tv. I have a venturer sts 13 s dvd player/ mp3 player/tuner and it has aux in and digital audio out. Can I plug my sound from the xbox into it? If so how, and also my rf converter has 2 sets of ports front and back, but when one is on the other turns off.

Username: Cynthiamedrsno

how do I connect my tv to my sterio if it does not have the rca connections my tv has them ,my radio just has a audio in connection how do I make it work

Username: Momo137

How do i connect a amplifier to a Lg led tv that has a headphone output... i have tried connecting it to the aux input on the amp which only has 2 inputs ( holes) with no colours because it is a old amp..i am still not getting any sound through my speakers which are connected to the amp...can anyone help me please

Username: Pat2397frontiernetnet

Honeoye, Ny Ontario

waiting for answer to my post hook up Sony 5 disk player to a DYNEX
TV 2 cables one red and one whit hook up but get no sound put on vd1

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15913
Patricia, check the back of your TV. If it says "input", you can connect the disk player. If it says "ouput"...it's not going to happ

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15914
MOMO...have you verified that the amp is working? However, it is not advisable to connect headphone outputs to a receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us