Panamax MAX 5100

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 69
any one use it

How does it compare to the monster cable it sells for 299 Monster Power HTS 2600 sells for 349

this panamax max 5100 does more the monster and larger equipment warranty

Username: Konoyaro

San Francisco, CA United States

Post Number: 7
Grizzly, I too am curious about the Panamax Max 5100. Seems like a nice mid-range surge protector/power conditioner. If you search around on the web, the 5100 looks like it can be had for slightly over $200. I also wonder about the Brickwall (some reviews online, goes for about $250) and the Balanced Power Tech CPC (if you waive the 30 return policy you can get it for $297 before shipping and tax direct from the manufacturer). Of the three, the CPC seems the most interesting but I don't see any comparisons of the three.
Anyone out there care to post some impressions?

vince whiteley
Unregistered guest
today i just bought the cheapo Panamax PM8C-EX. it offers 50dB of EMI filtration. looking at the specs for the 5100 - it too offers 50dB. i'm not about to say they are equal - but, what is the difference, besides being in a nice component sized shell?

Post Number: 8
Comparing specs between the Panamax PM8C-EX and the 5100 on the Panamax website, it says the PM8C-EX has 45dB of EMI filtration vs. 50dB for the 5100. This is probably pretty negligible. It seems that the big difference (besides the casing) is surge protection. The 5100 can dissipate a larger spike and will shut off with low or high voltage swings.

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 76
The Panamax will blow the Monster Power products into the weeds... that's from experience! They are an excellent product... and sometimes a bit cheaper.

Anonymous

How about the Panamax 4300. Specs aren't much different and it sells for $169.

Bronze Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 26
No Brad. The Panamax will not "blow the monster into the weeds" This is a ridiculous statement. I own a Panamax 4300 which is a decent entry level "component" type surge protector/line conditioner. At $299 the entry model Monster which I believe is the HTS2600 is a few steps above the Panamax 4300. IT has more outlets and it's RMI and EMI filtration are a bit more extensive. The Panamax 4300 is a great buy for $169 and I'm happy with mine. The Belkins an Furmans are very good as well. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3244

My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is the PanaMax gear offers the best value for the dollar spent in low priced surge protectors and line conditioners. The way I sold PanaMax products was to suggest the client take the unit home (along with whatever unit they wished to use for comparison) and listen and watch for a while. If the PanaMax didn't do what I said it would, the client could bring the unit back. I never had a PanaMax come back.

With no source selected but the volume control at a normal listening level, place your ear close to the tweeter in your main speakers and listen for noise without the PanaMax and then do the same with the PanaMax in the line. Decide which conditioner does the best job of filtering the noise. As long as the conditoner doesn't affect current supply to the system, the quieter unit will more than likely be the better unit no matter how the specs read. As far as surge clamping, the PanaMax is a double action unit that will clamp repeatedly where most surge protectors only clamp once and then require a rest period before they can shut down a second time. This can protect your system in a severe storm situation. Dallas is in the middle of the tornado belt and PanaMax is a great item to have here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Eric;

Take it easy. I simply gave my opinion on the Panamax product... nothing more or less. My experience came from the Monster HTS5100, and the Panamax MAX5510. Panamax beat it, hands down... again in my OPINION.

There are two types of people that log on to these forums. On one hand we have those who want to help - and give their opinion as asked for. Sadly, on the other hand, we have those who feel it necessary to bash or discredit other peoples opinions... and tout theirs as being better. Remember dear Eric... this is a forum for opinions and experiences. If you feel my statement is "ridiculous" - something I take offence to - then so be it. Keep it to yourself, and carry on.

And what's with the name and credentials at the end of your post anyway?? Need to feel better about yourself?

Grizzly and konoyaro - I hope that you find the information you need!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I was not bashing you Brad, perhaps you need to take it easy and not be so overly sensitive. If you read carefully I in fact own a Panamax product myself but the statment you gave is not based on any real factual info or testing. The RFI and EMI filtration on the Monster entry level "component" type conditioners,The hts2500MII, is a little more advanced than that of the entry model Panamax 4300 which I own. Thus I would say it is a little better but of course you will pay $130 more for the Monster. Did you not just attack me In your response? I gave an honest answer based not just on opinion but experience and knowledege of the product as well. FYI the AAS preceeding my name at the end of every post is the title of my degree-a two year associates degree in industrial electronics and robotics. E.Ramsey

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
THANKS Eric. Yes, I did realize you had a Panamax product... that's why I was confused when you called my comment ridiculous. Like you... I gave an honest answer "based not just on opinion but experience and knowledge of the product as well." Somehow though, you felt the need to call me out on that...

Anyway - I digress. Apologies all.

B. Mitchell, C.E.T.

missionpeak
Unregistered guest
I used to own a Monster HTS1000 which didn't protect my DVD player from a power surge. My Panamax Max 5100 has protected my equipment at least three times that I know of. Also, the sound quality is better than my old Monster HTS1000. More open with bass reaching another half octave lower.

leonski
Unregistered guest
I have a Panamax 5510 and the difference before/after is remarkable. Audio and Video are remarkably improved. Sound appears from a void and ALL video noise is GONE. I even had to 'retune' my speaker setup, changing the location slightly and at the same time improving the imaging, dynamics and clarity.

mak_seattle
Unregistered guest
Panamax over MonsterCrap any day of the week. This is my opinion AND experience with both products. My 5100 has saved my HT system twice that I know of. My 5300 does an equally great job on my 2-channel system. For whatever price you're willing to spend, you get a better value with Panamax...

JohnQ
Unregistered guest
Take a look here. www.digitalhsolutions.com/Panamax/Power-Conditioners.html

Geech
Unregistered guest
Hello, I just received a Panamax 5100 EX
I have a HD DLP tv, powered subwoofer speakers,
DVD, A/V Receiver, cable set top box, tape deck and cd player and was looking for a recommendation on which outlet banks to use for the various components.
Can anyone recommend a config for me?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Geech, follow the guidelines printed on the back of the unit and you should be fine. For example, plug the your DVD player into the outlet titled "DVD", your TV into the outlet titled "HDTV/MONITOR"and so on...

Username: Dave91

Post Number: 1
Looking at a decent surge and power conditioner. Don't need to break the back. Belkin has the AP 20800 PF 30 on sale at Amazon for $90. Monsters HTS 1000 MKII is $120. I am not an electrical expert and would love an opinion esp. on the Belkin. Looks nice! This is for HD TV, DVD player, Receiver, Satelite set up. 7 plugs, 1 cable, 2 phone.

Thanks!

Username: Dave_stradler

Post Number: 1
Two year associates degree in industrial electronics and robotics... C.E.T.'s... ha, you guys make me laugh.

I wish I could have a picnic as well instead of currently doing a Ph.D. at MIT with my thesis entitled "A Three-Phase Active Power Filter Operating with Fixed Switching Frequency for Reactive Power and Current Harmonic Compensation". Ok, back to the books and the lab. It's going to be another long day. (No wonder I have no girlfriend though, this has become my life).

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
Good for you, why don't you attach L1,L2,L3 of your project to your @$$. and energize the circuit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
Yes that's good Dave Stradler send me some E-mail why you have an 150 IQ a bit above my paltry 125-140 and your thesis that awards you a MIT degree. Do not be afraid to be detailed oriented and technical. Humbly waiting your informed response.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 968
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums