Cable Problem?

Username: B_tripp

Madison, WI USA

Post Number: 4
Hey guys,

So I'm trying to hookup my TV (its an HD) to my receiver (Yamaha RX V363) to some speakers (a pair of infinity floorstanding).

I have DirectTV so there is no cable box, just coaxial from the wall to the TV.

I hooked up all the cords, using component for video, with red and white for sound, but I'm not getting any sound.

The speaker wire I used is kinda old (maybe 7 years) but was stored in a ziplock bag. Does speakerwire go bad?

I know I must be close because when I turn up the volume on the receiver to a high level, I hear some faint fuzziness.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Madison, WI USA

Post Number: 5
This is how its connected if that helps..

I wonder if there's a prob since I have no box and audio/video are going right to TV from DirectTV

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/btrippa24/?action=view&current=Receiver 363.jpg

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12381
why are you using component instead of HDMI?
all of my direcTV boxes have HDMI output, I believe yours should, and if not, you could upgrade to one that does through direcTV. The receiver appears to support HDMI, and if the TV is HD it should as well.
HDMI will carry up to a 7.1 audio signal with 1080P video resolution. Something you can't do with red/white RCA and component video.
The speaker wire should be fine. No it doesn't go bad.
www.newegg.com has HDMI cables under electronics>cables?HDMI for pretty cheap.
sort by lowest price and you can find 6' and 12' cables for about $6-20 US

That'd be my solution.

also make sure the receiver setup menu for your input used for SAT is set up to use the proper audio source and check in the DTV setup menu under AUDIO to see if DIGITAL/5.1 is enabled or not.

Madison, WI USA

Post Number: 6
GlassWolf,

Just got an HDMI in the mail from Amazon. Will play with it tonight and hopefully get it to work.

I did not start with an HDMI because I was not sure my receiver could handle both video and sound.

Can someone explain the difference between Pass through and switching, or if I should even be concerned?

Thanks,

-Brian

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12390
passthrough simply means that the signal from the source is passed through directly to the output (going to the TV/monitor)
switching generally means you can have multiple input sources (DBS, DVD, cable, etc) and the receiver will switch between them and put the appropriate signal through to the TV so you don't have to switch inputs on the TV.

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12391
PS in addition to that, if your receiver does "upconversion" it means any input, be it svid, composite, component, etc.. will all be output to the HDMI cable for the TV, so everything can go to the TV, via the receiver, via one cable (hdmi)

HDMI supports video and audio, so you shouldn't need a separate audio cable if you use HDMI from source to receiver, to TV

Madison, WI USA

Post Number: 7
Okay the sounds is up and running!

Yeah the main problem was that my receiver does not support upconversion of sound with HDMI (only does video). So I also had to use an RCA cable for sound with the HDMI for video. Not a hard problem but thru me for a little test.

Thanks for the tips Gwolf.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us