Portable Set Up Anywhere Acoustics: Is this possible?

Username: Denver

Post Number: 1
I would like to create an area any where I'd like to record people singing. Is this possible? A little booth or ??? I don't know much about acoustics except that certain rooms sure make the singing better.

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Hi, Here's a link to a very good explanation of acoustics in home studios....you have to wade through a lot of technical stuff....but there's also a lot of good info in layman's terms.

Good luck!

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 516
if you're looking to create a "vocal booth" on the cheap, just get some cheap egg crate matress liners from a department store and line the walls and cieling of your room.

vocal booths are generally acoustically dead (echo free) and reverb etc. is usually added after the fact in recordings.

don't just count on the room to get the most out of your singers either. good mics are just as important and preamps as well as recording media make a difference too.

the "standard" microphones for recording vocals are ribbons or large diaphragm condenser mics which will require phantom powering. if you're recording close to the mic, a pop screen helps. (basically women's stockings [couldn't say p. hose] stretched over a coat hanger in front of the mic if you make one yourself) then, you won't overload your mic with plosives ("P" & "B" etc.)

i just love my little behringer eurorack mixer. it has very nice mic preamps for just $50 and has given my PZM condensers the ability to record some very convincing stereo recordings.

if you want "smooth and mellow" vocals, virtually every studio has some tube powered mic preamps for sweetening their mics too.

after you record the vocals, you'd want to add some effects to your recording to improve it too

compressors make your volume more uniform

de-essers tame harsh siblants ("s" and "sh" especially when close miking

then adding some reverb to the vocals will fill them out and make them sound more alive. expensive plate reverbs are great on vocals, but you can get suitable results with a decent digital unit or software if you're recording on your PC. you can get pretty elaborate with a PC system without spending as much as a full blown studio.

if you're recording to digital, try to get 24/96 digital to analogue recorders for better sound than old 16/44 CD grade digital.

hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us