Archive through April 08, 2011

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1994
You are absolutely right. These days, you need to 'show' that you've learned something with a degree. Before, an associates degree would have gotten you a decent paying job (45k +). Now....getting a bachelors degree wouldn't even get you a job that starts off from 40k. Very hard to find anything these days. And if you don't have a BA, or AS, very hard landing a job.

and trust me..if there is anyone who completely despises school....its ME!! ... and i can prove it lol

leo stierer
Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2123
What is needed in the USA is an Apprenticeship program where people who are not 'academic' can learn how to DO something. Any of the trades are possible.
I've worked with people who came up thru that system and most of 'em REALLY knew there stuff.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1995
If by the apprenticeship program you mean people can build 'experience' then i absolutely agree with you.

To me, if you have 'done' the job and know how to 'do' the job, then I would hire you over someone who has a piece of paper stating that they 'know about' the job and 'will' be able to complete it.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2124
Yes.
You typically start out doing 'grunt' work and as you are taught more, you DO more. At some point you are able to do anything the job calls for.
Machinist? Electrician? Plumber? Construction? All can have such a program.
There's the broom.--> Watch what I do....and don't forget to sweep up.

The fact you didn't know, and being a bright fellow, shows just how bad we NEED such a program. Where do you go to learn some of this stuff? School? Such a course of study can be YEARS, not a 6 month 'certification' program.

Keep the government OUT of it except for some kind of tax incentives.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24426
That's EXACTLY how I started out. I took exploratory classes that incorporated varies trades in high school. After all even though I understood CP courses I didn't see an interesting life using those skills. I was more of a hands on type guy. Masonry, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, ect. Did well in all but really shined in wood shop. My teacher was impressed and offered me a job on the weekends working for him in his restoration business. There I not only learned a skill but a finer appreciation of building trades of today and yesterday. We did most any type of construction but we honed in on a lot of Victorian style restorations. 140 year old homes, 10 foot high ceilings with plaster and lathe walls and 6' high windows. It was a true honor to work on such relics because it forces you to appreciate the work they did so many years ago all with only hand tools. Ironically they are the most beautiful homes to own.

Before hiring me I was put through various "tests" to insure him I wasn't wasting his time. First was the "broom" test. In shop he would evaluate a person's initiative and potential using this simple technique. All alone he would give you a broom and instructed you to sweep a certain area of the shop while he ran to the main office. Four things would either happen:

1). As a rebellious teenager you could flat out ignore his instructions and simply wait for his return.
2). You begin to sweep as he leaves doing a quick once over, then sit down.
3). You begin to sweep as he leaves, then after surmising your task is done you don't want to be "caught" doing nothing when he returns so you continue sweeping the same area, UNTIL he returns.
4). After sweeping the instructed area and happy with your results you take the initiative to find other tasks, making your time useful.

Most kids swept a few minutes then stopped. Some would continue sweeping and sweeping the same small area for as long as 30 minutes, showing lack of vision. Me? I swept the WHOLE shop, reorganized the scrap plywood pile behind the panel saw, emptied the sawdust inside the table saw, hung all the loose tools back inside the tool room and refilled the ear plug dispenser.

I started working for him on the side for $4/hr THAT weekend lol. Yet, that wasn't the ONLY test he had for me. He hired me as a carpenter's apprentice. I was anxious to learn carpentry in the field, plus it was my first real job. On my first day what do you suppose I did? I arrived on time with my tools at his house bright eyed and bushy tailed that Saturday morning, getting a ride from John who also worked for him. He led me out to his back yard where he was clearing some land for a second garage he had planned on building. I thought to myself that maybe today I was going to learn surveying or how to layout a foundation? Nope.

What happened next I will take with me forever and something I hope to teach my son. He handed me a sledge hammer and showed me about a dozen lazy boy sized boulders that were on his property that needed broken up so he can continue with his project. I was dumbfounded. I came to learn carpentry and on my first day I was smashing rocks? He left me with my bewildered look on my face and went to a job with John who also used to be one of his students.

4 hours go by and I stop to eat my lunch. My arms were jello and I wanted to quit so badly I could taste it. Early Summer and the sun was hot. I kept thinking to myself that I must have done something in class in order for him to have me perform such tiresome and grueling tasks. Another 4 hours go by and I'm still there, all boulders reduced in size manageable to lift and carry. I was done. Defeated. Dehydrated and blisters on my hands the size of grapes.

They came back finally after their day's work and on my ride home with John (the other guy who worked for him that also had him as a carpentry teacher years ago) looked at me and said: "We didn't think you'd be here. Most walk away."

This was my final test. If I could last through 8 hours of boulder smashing in the open June sun then I wasn't a quitter. Of course the next weekend I was learning siding and installing windows, roofing and many other construction trades. He treated me well too. Giving me $.25/hr raises almost every month and acted like a father to me. Even took me and my girl out on his boat every so often. Even let me drive.

In the end what I learned from him was that carpentry, like life, takes patience and hard work to achieve a beautiful end result. If you take shortcuts it will reflect in the final product. Be it making wine, hand crafted furniture or even raising your own kids, the effort in is worth ten fold out. Life will give you those boulders to smash all day sometimes, and THAT'S life.

As John dropped me off at my folk's house that day he asked me as I was getting out of his truck, "He gave you the broom test, didn't he?"

Holy crap did I really type all that?

sean
Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16666
yes you did paul and i read it all

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24427
Thank you.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16668
you were definately a good worker

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2128
Paul, I'm amazed. You found a REAL gem to work for and LEARN.
Today? fewer and fewer such opportunities. And no such formal programs of which I'm aware. too bad. All the 'up thru the ranks' types I know who actually had formal apprenticeships are very good at what they do. I'm sure YOU learned right.

I'm taking woodshop at school and the last 20 minutes? Clean This Place Up! At the end of the term, each class spends about 2 hours doing other stuff.....Waxing the tables on the saws. Cleaning glue off clamps. Cleaning stuff that was missed... The room is pristine at the start of the next semester.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24431
I was blessed Leo, I truly was. He taught me everything I know. I worked for him for nine years until he retired as a school teacher. He was in his early 60's and still running around on roof tops like a gazelle. A true workaholic too. 14 hour days are no stranger to him.

In high school in my senior year we constructed an entire house inside the shop class. We built it old school too. Natural hardwood floors, hand cut stair stringers and roof rafters, and even custom kitchen cabinets. Nothing prefab. Everything from our own hands. Shortly after graduating the school district's budget got slashed and the exploratory program was dismantled. This was 20 years ago. Herb (my teacher) spent the last few years of his tenure as a substitute throughout the district. Shame really. 40+ years of quality experience babysitting to finish his career.

My carpentry/construction experience eventually landed me my next job as a wall panel component assembler for a large wood truss manufacturer. Moved up to foreman after several years, then promoted up to an office position in design. Spent the next few stages of my life getting married, having kids, getting divorced, ect. Now I'm an estimator for yet another truss manufacturer. Doing the best I can.

Apprentice programs are indeed a valuable and sadly vanishing entity. Today employers expect a razor sharp resumé laced with an impressive collegiate background. For entry level jobs too! In construction, just about ALL positions are filled with immigrant labor so the old school ways of hands on carpentry is about over. Building a house today is about as complex as snapping the pieces together and waiting for the glue to dry. There's no pride in craftsmanship, only the lowest bidder.

And clean up in shop was STRONGLY stressed and also part of our grade. A clean work area is a safer one.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24433
Just to add to this I remember an incident in school involving Herb. 50 years ago issues like this were never a problem but in today's world we are faced with so many screwed up morals.

He was traveling through the halls one day making his way to his shop classroom when he witnessed a fight break out between two students. What would YOU do? The same as me, you break it up and try to settling them down. THAT'S what Herb did. Well you can't break a fight up without getting a little physical yourself into the situation. It's just what it is. Turns out one of the kids took what Herb did personally and told his parents. The school was inevitably presented with a lawsuit claiming Herb physically "assaulted" a student in the process of stopping the fight. Umm, yeah, I have to put my hands on you to stop a fight no?

It gets worse. Because the kid whose parents filled the lawsuit was out-casted as a wimp who couldn't take being subdued by a 60 year old man, decided to settle the score himself. One day after school he approached Herb in the parking lot and hurled a brick into his chest. I suppose to reclaim some sort of stature among his peers?

We live in a world today that makes even the most sane ppl afraid to do ANYTHING, in fear it will cause a controversy or uproar of some kind. The woman who got millions because of spilled coffee at Mcdonald's, thieves suing the homeowner of the skylight they just fell through, neighbors suing each other over barking dogs, ect.

This is WHY I wanted to live in the 50's. There was NONE of this. You woke up, went to a job, came home and loved the process. It was simple. Clear and easy. No Blackberries or Iphones keeping the stress with you 24/7, wanting to turn it off but afraid to. There used to be a balance DAMMIT!!! That force that unravels the knots life ties used to be called the weekends. With how life is evolving that balancing act is diminishing.

Ahh crap I rambled again.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24440
Scent of a Woman with Al Pacino and Chris O' Donnell. Re watched it again. NEVER a dull movie with the "Godfather". In the movie he's a tough character to like but he grows on ya. In the end you find yourself standing up and cheering inside for him.

Solid 8/10.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2145
Anybody who has read more than 3 of my posts knows I am not big on remakes. Most are shadows of the original.

But, I gotta tell 'ya that 'The Karate Kid' is a terrific redo. Jackie Chan is memorable as is rest of the cast. Jaden Smith is near-perfect while the location move to China was all for the better. I give it a solid 8of10 on the 'Ecoustics 10 point scale'.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24447
Just saw it I take?

I liked it too. Even though the story was almost a complete pirate off the first, I liked the substitutions in actors. Jackie Chan is at his best and Mr. Smith is a fresh young addition to this old tale.

My son loved it and I also.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24448
Just for fun tonight is "Joe Versus The Volcano".

It's an incredibly simple story and left field at that but with Tom Hanks you really can't go wrong. It's a "whatever" movie and that's what I'm in the mood for.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16679
I vaguely remember joe vs the volcano. From what i remember it was a decent movie. Im not a fan at all of the new karate kid though.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16680
I just bought two movies ive been wanting for a while to add to my blu ray collection iron man 1 and 2. They are both brand new I got iron man 2 at walmarts website for $15.90 shipped to store (it was $24 plus tax in walmarts store) and iron man one i got on ebay for $15.99 shipped. Im up to 40 - 42 blu ray movies in my collection now.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16681
I did like smiths kid in the movie he was in with his father though top notch acting from the kid there as well as a good plot. (I forget the movie title)

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24449
The Pursuit of Happyness.

I picked up 4 tonight on impulse. My son needed a new DVD player anyway.

The Ninth Gate
Big Daddy
Slap Shot
Hitch.

All $5 movies. All worth the gamble.

I got him a Sony player. No frills yet worlds ahead of my first player bought some 10 years ago for $300. On sale for $39. His Phillips player was almost as old and was starting to freeze on some films.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24450
Out of Time.

Not one of my favorite Denzel movies but a good one to say the least. Eva Mendes doesn't quite fit her role but I don't see too many ppl complaining lol. The movie makes me want to retire in Florida without a doubt. I really couldn't care less that it rains almost every day for 15 minutes and you're surrounded by either 65+ ppl or younger chicks in bikinis!

Seriously I give it a good 7/10 stars.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24453
Went on a bit of an Eastwood kick and picked up the classic western trio, plus a few more.

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
Coming to America
Rudy

My son will love Rudy. He's fond of those "eye of the tiger" and "stacked against all odds" movies and that should fit the bill.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2159
Paul,
Florida, and in particular South Florida is an awful place to live.
Rain? Yep. in Feet, not inches. The dead of winter is nice, though.
Maybe 4 or 5 months worth. Like late Oct thru mid March. After that? Hot and Humid.
My HS had no airconditioning except in the library. Beaches can be crowded and sometimes you get Men of War washing up....and don't forget to NOT step on the Jelly Fish.
The senior citizens? Sometimes die at the wheel. while parked.
NOBODY voluntarily gives up their drivers license.
Crime? More tourist scams than you'd think possible...forget what you'd believe.
Politics? Law? Criminals? and than some.
If I were exiled to Florida? I try to live near the Ocean, as far north as possible. Maybe outside of Jacksonville.
Did I mention the Bugs and Snakes? The Everglades has an active and growing population of Pythons courtesy of idiots that either let 'em go or let 'em escape. Cockroaches that need leashes. Rattlesnakes. Water Moccasins. Coral Snakes.

Out of time made the place look good compared to the way it is. The final straw? Disney World in Orlando has a drinking fountain about every 100 feet. It's that awful in summer. Not to mention what they did to Orlando. I was there in about '72 before the disaster hit.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24454
Lol. I dig your aspect of FL Leo. I knew it from past observations but never absorbed it.

In my younger days I always wanted a Canadian lifestyle if you can believe it. I camped there every year north of the Superior for 4 straight years in the early 90's. Some of the best night sky there is, plus you get the loons at night. I swore to myself I'd go back.

I have such fantastic panoramic pics of my trips it would awe you lol. It's just that it would take a good bit of time scanning/uploading of my pics................

I would if ya wanted me to though.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2160
Here's your test:
Work up a good pic and PM me.
If you want me to do the work, send a big file and I'll fix it and send it back.

Florida? Best thing is what is known as 'The Coral Castle'. Built by a guy from Romania or something, he was a little nutty, waiting for his girlfriend who NEVER showed up. Entire place is built of hand hewn Coral stone some up to 12 tons. The '8 ton gate' can be moved with ONE finger and it took a team of men and a crane to fix it when the bearing wore out. The guy assembled this place by himself and NOBODY ever saw him lift a finger. Rumor has it, he knew hot the pyramids were built. Some very interesting alignments and a Sundial which STILL blows me away, it being unique in all my travels....and boy, have I traveled!

http://coralcastle.com/

Even my stoic mother in law was moved and the wife, who usually just humors me was impressed.......I climbed BOTH the Sun and Moon pyramids in Teotihuacan and went everywhere in every pyramid my guide could get me to when in Egypt. At Dendera I crawled UNDER the building to see stuff most tourists simply ignore.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24456
That sounds like it took him a loooong time. If I ever get back to FL I'll have to check that place out. I went with my wife at the time to Homestead in South Fl years back to visit her uncle. It was quite an interesting trip. There was always a steady breeze and the hint of moisture every day. Salamanders jumping from tree to tree. Her Uncle as his wife were both retired and living the life so to speak. She would drink margaritas every day while he kept himself saturated with beer to pass the time. They lived in a development with a man made lake and country club with inground pool. Outdoor bar with huge screened in porch that overlooked the lake. Looked like good times. I just remember always seeing the hurricanes that pelt FL every year and wonder why so many ppl choose to live there in spite of it.

Anyway, I scanned some of the pics I had of my trip to Canada in 1991. Due to the file size restrictions this site has really hinders seeing much but nonetheless you can make them out. The panoramic pics are really cropped to get them under the 600 x 600 pixel size limit. I just fell in love with the country with the space you have and the clean air and lack of human interference. Seeing a moose was almost a daily event too.

Here is a falls we came across during one of our hiking trips.

Upload

Some pics of Lake Superior we camped North of. We were hiking up a hill when the train passed.

Upload
Upload

The beach at the site of where we camped at sunset. Literally nobody around. You could launch the space shuttle and it would take about three minutes into the flight before another set of human eyes would see it lol.

Upload

Here are some of panoramics I mentioned. Sorry for the size they had to be. You can still see how serene the place is.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Finally our stop to Niagra. Our trip always consisted of driving around the Great Lakes clockwise ending up at the famous falls before driving South towards home. The trip took three weeks and only cost us $300 each for gas/supplies. Good times hiking/fishing during the day, playing cards BSing at night.

Upload

This is the group that went that year, me being the top right. Like I said it was memorable trip inside what I remember as some of the prettiest scenery I ever saw. Even though it was 20 years ago $300 for three weeks is cheap. Try doing that in Florida!

Upload

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2161
Paul,
I have a FILM scanner which will make huge files...at 2400dpi.
Also, 16 bit color, which you probably don't have the software to deal with. I'll make 'em JPG.
Sorry, 35mm film / slides only.

The bottom Pano is very nice. What kind of camera / lens?

No Blackfly? Must'a been wrong time of year.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16691
Nice Paul we used to live in homestead florida back in 1981. We lived there for a year.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24457
It was a cheapo $40 35 mm cam Leo. No frills whatsoever. I wouldn't even attempt to guess where the negatives are, assuming I still have them after the pics were developed. I have tons more of my trips to the thousand islands and many more from our trips to around the great lakes. I like the last pano myself. Even with a cheap camera the place still looks like a postcard. And we usually went late summer. The stars at night were, just fantastic. After the fire was put out and we sacked up for the night it was so calming hearing the water of the lake, the loons and the trains zig zagging through the mountains. Almost like therapy.

Sean, it was a brutal drive I'll tell ya. It's funny what you learn about a person even after you marry them, sometimes especially. I knew her for years and only until after I said "I do" did I find out things like her hating roller coasters or never driving at night. We were supposed to take shifts on the drive down from Jersey. After the Carolina's I was ready for the switch. No dice. "I don't drive at night. You know, because of my bad eyesight?" Yeah, THAT was a long night. Then the very next day she wanted to go to Key West. Even from Homestead it was another loooong drive. Fun trip outside of the driving though.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2163
You KNEW you Married 'Miss Right'. It was only later, you found out her first name was 'Always'! At least that's how it worked for ME!

Don't bother scanning photos above 300dpi. Doesn't do any good.

I can take a photo and take a PICTURE OF IT using a Macro Lens fo very good quality and import into photoshop. Color correction? You Bet. Sharpness? of course. I can make a photo you could not tell from the original you gave me. I can even do some 'fixing'.
I've done this for a neighbor and my sis-in-law. Both times, the pic I made was indistinguishable from the original.

Tahoe, from May of '10

Upload

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24460
Nice. Looks like the beauty of the mountains mixed with the waters of the Caribbean.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2166
Clear enough to read the paper sitting on the bottom in 3' of water.
cold enough to numb you before you could reach down to turn the page.
Lake is over 900' deep. or DEEPER. The bottom of the lake is below the level of Reno, which is just over the 'hill'.

And as for the Carib? THAT'S where I saw that color before!

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24462
The water in Canada was just like that. Crystal clear and cold as #$@!. I remember seeing fish down in the water that looked like maybe 12" across and only 2'-3' deep in the water. The older gentleman I went with told me that they were probably 24" across and more like 15' down. Come back to Jersey and the water in the Delaware looks like and smells like mud.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2172
Saw the Jack Black version of King Kong. Black wasn't as repulsive as I thought he'd be. Actually, decent casting. The monkey taking on 3 T-Rex, and angry ones at that, was a little over the top. With the jaws on those bad boys, and the muscle attachments, they should be able to bite a Buick in half. Once latched on, that should'a been it.

The rest? Nobody impressed me much, not even the blondie.

Anyone here ever see the original UNCUT. The one where King Kong EATS natives than spits out the clothes? Or Faye jumps in the water and is supposed to be naked?
I give the 2 remakes a cumulative 6 stars on the Ecoustics Scale while the Original? Still is top dog. or.....errrr Monkey.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16706
I own the new one and i agree at points its over the top but i like the movie overall....very entertaining

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24465
Well Hollywood keeps remaking films for at least two reasons. One is the advancement in technology allowing greater realism and awe with special effects. The second of course is the payday. The story is already there and just needs to be casted with today's "talent". After a few months of shooting and some OT from the computer guys and bam! They can pump out a film quicker than a kid's nose runs.

And I found the Gorilla/T-rex battle very entertaining. Probably my favorite scene in such a long movie. Gorillas are naturally freakishly strong to start with, considering one could literally tear a man's arms off him. Now think what a 60' specimen could do lol.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16761
im going to check out before the devil knows your dead on netflix next....i expect good things

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24485
Time to get immature and down right raunchy! Jackass 3 out on DVD and Bluray. Picked it up today. The Two disc version comes with a couple pairs of 3d glasses. DVD, Bluray with 3d version, plus digital copy and glasses for $24.99.

Gittyup.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2192
Jackass? 3d? BlueRay?

I think i'm going to be sick! in hi-def and full color.

Wow, Paul, you've got GUTS.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24489
Lol yeah it's the kid in me. It was funny but didn't have the unique angle the first one did. Lots of stuff not for the faint of heart either. I could never get into the glasses for 3D. They are uncomfortable and hard on the eyes for me.

I was at Best Buy today picking up a PS2 for my daughter. A PS2 isn't state of the art but enough for her. $99 too. Getting hard finding games for it. Luckily I have 20 or so titles already from my son. It will keep her out of her mother's hair for a bit.

Picked up 3 movies while I was at BB. $5 bin specials.

The Information
Unfaithful
Vanilla Sky

Even though I haven't been a fan of Tom Cruise lately I wanted to see what the hype was over this one. We'll see. Unfaithful I got even though I had seen it before I thought it was worth the fiver. The Information I got cause I'm a big Matt Damon follower. No clue if I'll dig it.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24490
Also picked up the The Abyss (Special Edition). The remake showing deleted scenes and bonus/alternate endings to the original. For many the original ending left a dry taste in your mouth wanting more of an explanation in the alien's roll in the film.

Another $5 gem. IMO.

On a side note I've been entertained lately watching Youtube clips of the late duo film critics Siskel & Ebert. It's so humorous watching them pick apart and frown upon some of Hollywoods BEST films like Die Hard, Home Alone, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Terminator.

These, among many others they bash, became such icons in the film industry and made millions upon millions of dollars. Most of which are STILL making $$ today. It's like the car you drive. If it does what you want it to and you're happy with it why bother listening to others bash it to the hills?

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2197
You make me nostalgic for my Edsel.

S&E weren't all that messed up. They DID like 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' and even tagged Sean Penn as an 'up and comer'.

I still can't figure out how John Travolta found work again after Welcome Back Kotter.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24493
Oh man did he make that series. Now that I think about it who else besides John made anything of their career in acting AFTER WBK?

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2199
They ALL dropped off the face of the Earth.

Ellen Travolta (relative?) was in 2 or 3 episodes.
John was in about 80%.....probably missed season #1

Wouldn't surprise me if Gabe Kaplan went (back?) to standup.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24496
I truly miss those shows. My weekends wouldn't have been the same without them. Some of which being.........

Welcome Back Kotter
Gimmee a Break
Fantasy Island
The Dukes of Hazard
The Love Boat (Ok, no jokes. My Mother watched it and we had only one tv)
Different Strokes
Three's Company
All in The Family (absolute classic)
Sanford and Son
The Jeffersons
Greatest American Hero
Macgyver
Good Times
One Day at a Time (God I had a thing for Valerie Bertinelli)
Charlie's Angles
Heart to Heart (Yes Stephanie Powers did it for me too)
Cheers
Mash
Silver Spoons
Family Ties
Punky Brewster
Taxi
Doogie Howser
Night Court
Happy Days
Laverne & Shirley
Bosom Buddies
Soap
Ect, ect, ect.............

Yeah I watched a lot of tv lol.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2200
I have season #1 of Get Smart on DVD. I showed an episode to my young, than teenage nieces.
'You watched THAT?'
Sorry about that! was all I could think to say.

I saw some of almost all you named. Could never get used to a few of 'em and some got awful....what later came to be known as 'jumping the shark'.
Of course, TVGuide bought the name / domain and RUINED it for all true TV fans.
http://skew.dailyskew.com/2009/03/wtf-jump-shark-has-jumped-shark.html

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24502
I know Leo. I tried sitting with my son and watching some old reruns of Bewitched and he was bored within seconds. My Favorite Martian? Even less. Lost in Space? Didn't even sit down for it. Even the Three Stooges barley raised an eyebrow.

It's a much different world today and much faster paced.

Shows like Dragnet, I Love Lucy and even The Honeymooners were so popular in their time because of the physical presence of the ACTING involved. It wasn't about the explosions or car chases that kept ppl watching but how ppl lived in real life and how we all related to their on screen experiences.

In today's world the "average" lifestyle is exactly opposite what excites Hollywood. Today ppl want to see the "extraordinary and fantastic". Anything else, just leave it at home.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2210
I wrote my Congressman a letter asking that the 'Stooges' be part of the citizenship text given to all such applicants.
I think knowledge of the Stooges is essential to the understanding of America and Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24519
I watch a lot off Hulu myself. Free to watch and some pretty interesting stuff on there. Mostly older series but you will find full length films as well. Just nothing current.

You can't beat free lol.

www.hulu.com

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16818
I like watching pinks all out on hulu

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16819
by the way paul your movie paul comes out tomorrow...the alien movie haha

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24527
Alien movie? Do tell.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16858

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24531
Lol looks like a bit of fun.

Got some goodies in this past week. I took the plunge and bought the entire 11 season DVD set of Cheers. A whopping $177 but to me worth it. I've been waiting for years for the complete series to be available as they started out only releasing a season a year. 275 episodes of my all time favorite show. I'm in to the 6th episode on season one so far. My son has pledged to watch them all as well.

I also got Pump Up The Volume. A Cristian Slater movie I always loved from years ago. A rebellious story that, for me, was inspirational. I'll be watching that tonight.

That was one of many I have on VHS that I felt worthy of the conversion. Ultimately I would like EVERY movie I own to be converted to DVD but money doesn't grow on trees in my backyard. Some of my titles that ARE on my conversion list are:

My Life
She's Having a Baby
Falling Down
Rounders
Dave
The American President
The Negotiator
Untamed Heart
Mr. Holland's Opus
The Rainmaker
The Rock
Phenomenon
One Good Cop
Godzilla

I have so many more I want but they too will have to come as $$ permits. Godzilla I threw in because even though it's yet another rip off made with current effects it was still a fun movie. Plus it can be had for less than $6 on Amazon. Shoot, I got Pump up The Volume for $1.98 new!

Screw the $5 bins at Walmart lol.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16882
i have a few on vhs i want to convert to blu ray

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2005
is that even possible?

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16885
I meant i want to buy on blu ray

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2006
oh ok lol

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24537
My boy is through the first season of Cheers. Watching a few episodes myself. Brings back memories.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2221
it SHOULD be possible to convert VHS to BR, but why bother? To DVD would be overdoing it, anyway.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24539
I would agree. The media is only going to be as sharp as the original format. Sure it would be on a much more convenient and lasting format but garbage in equals garbage out.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16894
I was looking at blu rays online and i couldnt find anything to buy....suggestions for action or sci fi

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2007
ever seen Kill Bill?

crazy action packed movie.

Though it is not for everyone. So it might be a waste of money if you buy.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24547
Nope. Never seen. Is it worth $5?

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16895
i did see kill bill and for the most part liked it but its not one i want to own and watch over and over

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2008
Paul, it's a Tarantino flick. I don't know if you are a big fan of his, but IMO it's not something that you would watch over and over again. I would have to agree with Sean on that one.

Good flick to watch, but the $5 depends on the person lol.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2226
Kill Bill is a 2-parter and 2 way different movies.

Part I is Homage to the Japanese style which Tarantino loves. It even has a few minutes of Anime. The good vs evil theme is common to all cultures and the Japanese take it pretty far and have there own sense of ....justice....

Part II is a perfect finish with more introspection and the final death of Bill.

My PERSONAL opinion is that they should be watched back-to-back. The 'Crazy 88' are eliminated almost to a man in what is one of the best 'take 'em all on' fight scenes EVER. The death of the crime boss....Lucy Liu....is handled with great dignity and understanding of the Japanese Psyche. The closeups of the waterclock show the clicking away of life.
The death of Bill at the end of part II is more 'American' but no less satisfying.

Good stuff and I WILL watch them again periodically.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24548
Skullz, though I enjoyed Pulp Fiction I could never understand Tarantino's symbolism to that damn bright light shining out of that briefcase. His movies tend to rattle the cages so to speak. Fun to watch but it leaves me with a bit of.......huh?.......sometimes. Lol. He may be brilliant in his own mind but my guess is you have to be on his level to love his movies.

Kill Bill? So it involves the martial arts? I take that strictly from the cover and Leo's input. I dig those type's of movies. After all the oriental world has a long and deep history which can be appreciated on many levels. Their society is so full of great lessons and passages that many can and should absorb into their own life.

One movie in particular that I remember so deeply from my youth that involved martial arts was "The Last Dragon". Not the Bruce Lee flick but the Berry Gordy's version with Taimak and Vanity as the main characters. I was young when it came out (14?) and the movie sunk deep into my psyche lol. It's a classic story of inner city life with the "bully beating up the town" mentality. Then our low tempered yet well trained hero saves the day. It was just fun as heck to watch. In fact I think I'll buy it on DVD right now lol. Be right back.

By no means does Paul buying this movie endorse the film or encourage you to do the same. It's simply yet another impulse buy that helps him retain his youth.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24549
Got The Last Dragon AND Mr. Holland's Opus for $21 shipped on DVD off Amazon.

Sorry for the delay. Had a "man" battle with the boy before bed time. I told him I'd give him $1000 the first time he beats me lol. That may come to bite me in the azz in a few years lol.

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2009
LOL - start doing your pushups and situps hahaha

Paul, Kill Bill is a martial arts / action movie on steroids. Thats a pretty decent way to put it lol. I enjoyed the flick, both of them, but for me it's not the type of movie that I will watch again from the beginning all the way till the end. For me it's one of the flicks that I would only watch selected parts over again.

Again, it depends on your taste of movies. To each their own.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2227
The Bruce Lee 'classic' may be the best action flick....ever.
Plot is just there to hang the action scenes together while Bruce is on his 'mission'.
'Enter The Dragon' is not to be missed. Even the John Saxon scenes are good and the 'secret competition' gig has gone to be used in many other movies. Evil boss? Yep.

Way of the Dragon or Return of the Dragon takes place in Rome where Bruce Lee stages his very famous fight with Chuck Norris. Lots of stories about this fight which you can look up yourselves, but it would appear there was a little bad blood here.

At least half of Lee's movie work was released after death. I remember him in 'The Green Hornet' TV show......

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16920
I just picked up three brand new blurays for 21 dollars total after tax. Ultimate electronics had their going out of business sale and had 60% off blurays so i had to look. I got....

triple x state of the union

the mummy (I only need mummy 2 to complete the series on bluray now)

usual suspect

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2011
If the Usual Suspects is the same one I'm thinking about, its a great movie. Definitely worth the buy.

The Mummy is also a great movie and would prob buy for a good price.

XXX: State of Union...I can't say the same for. Never seen it because it didn't appeal to me. Let me know how it is.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16953
usual suspects is the movie your thinking of....kaiser sosay

and triple x state of the union is good I saw it before as well....I liked it better than the first movie and i like the first one

I saw mummy before too i also liked it

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2240
Like Mummy movies?
1932s 'The Mummy' starring Boris Karloff.
No Mummy collection is complete without it.

Not the effects fest of modern movies, but very creepy. It'll scare the kids.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24562
Usual Suspects was INDEED a great film.

The Mummy series? I guess you have to have a flavor for them. I have them all, just don't watch them too often.

Been watching the Oceans 11 series (again) starting with the rat pack film that kicked it off back in 1960. I'm a bit nostalgic and love comparing the films in not only story but acting. Angie Dickinson was a BABE! Much better IMO than Julia Roberts in their perspective times.

I have Father of the Bride on DVD (recently acquired) and would love to see the original with Liz Taylor. Sad to say she's no longer with us. Also sad is the fact that I've never seen the original. I'll have to track it down and buy it to make it a "complete duo".

Father of the Bride 2 didn't do it for me. Steve Martin nailed the first one and I love watching it but the 2nd was just flat to me.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24564
And now we are making wine.

Got about a month to wait in between rackings and such but she's primed and almost ready for pitching of the yeast. Need the temp to come down to 85 or below. 6 gallons of red coming up!

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16973
emmm speaking of i might have to go pick me up some verdi I like that wine....

I just picked up the mummy returns on bluray in like new condition for $8.50 shipped I know it will be in that condition because the guy has over 100 feedback with 100% positive....so now i have all three movies to finish the collection on bluray

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16976
I just picked up another set of movies....The x men quadrilogy on bluray for 35 bucks shipped brand new on ebay......i have one of the movies on bluray already so ill either sell it or give it as a christmas present to my brother

Mr. Skullz
Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2014
wow Sean your on a spree. Great deals

Saw Machete today.....been a while since I saw a movie.
Definitely a fun movie to watch. Mixed with some comedy. 8/10

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24568
Saw previews for it. Looked gory lol. But if that's what you're into.

Buying movies can certainly get addicting. I recently checked my Amazon order that's due to arrive by Tuesday and it seems I accidently bought two copies of "Mr. Hollands Opus". Seeing as they were only $2.89/ea I'm not complaining. This makes the 3rd title I have duplicates of. I also have 2 Walking Talls and 2 Caddyshacks.

**Sigh** Sometimes I just don't pay attention.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16983
yeah im definitely on a spree....I just ordered my star wars collection on bluray.....it wont be released until sept 16 though

Ill be a star wars watching nut when it gets here though haha

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24569
Star wars old school or new?

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16984
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga-Blu-ray/14903/

its all six movies old and new put on bluray for 89.99 pre release shipped.....its 139.99 after pre release

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2244
And hopefully 59.99$ 2 weeks before Christmas!

How much 'extra stuff'?

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16991
plus three additional discs of extras, with more than 30 hours of in-depth bonus supplements and extensive special features, including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much, much more, united in one complete 9-disc set

I think we will see it at $60 but not for quite a while after its realease and a good while after christmas.....id guess 6 months after christmas.....a sizable savings but im not willing to wait that long haha

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16992
Im going out tomorrow to get tron 1 and tron 2 on bluray....target has a deal if you get both they give you 8 bucks off so it comes to 32 plus tax

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24571
Just re watched "The Last Dragon".

Because it held certain sentimental value to me due to the time it was released and my age at the time, I still have to say it's a good movie lol. I was VERY influential and so caught up in the story at that time in my life.

I loved it, and for that I give it 8/10 stars.

After all if it makes you feel better then it served its' purpose.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16993
hmm the last dragon im not sure if i saw that....ill have to see if netflix has it

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16994
they do but its not on streaming

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 16998
well i got tron 1 and 2 on blu ray like i said and while i was there they had gone in 60 seconds there on bluray for 10 bucks so i picked that up too.....i also got the back to the future trilogy on bluray uk version so i could avoid the crappy us version everybody complains about with the spring clips and hard to release and insert disks

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17000
I just bought three more new blurays from bluray.com

lord of war

quantum of solace

cindarella man

all for 29.98 shipped.... that wil be the last i buy for a while i spent enough

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24573
Dude you're getting as bad as me lol.

I haven't jumped to Bluray yet.

Kinda afraid to, to tell ya the truth.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17001
haha yeah i know. Why are you afraid to jump to bluray? Its absolutely here to stay.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2245
BR is here 'until the next big thing'. Which may be NO media at all, just streaming. Or some form of 'chip' or memory. The 'powers that be' opened a can of worms when tape took off and people could actually own the movie. Things got worse when DVD came out and the quality was stunning. Now, the next big leap to BR and you can own what makes the original VHS /Beta stuff look awful.
I suspect 'they' don't want you to own a copy at all. The next model may be either rental or time-limited ownership.

Rest assured that within a week of me buying a BR player, it will be obsoleted by ?????

Since I'm an audio guy, too, the only BR player for me is the OPPO with balanced outs. I can then dump the CD player.... a very nice CA840 and the DVD player...an older OPPO 981dv. I may have to get an external DAC, too, but that is still in the air.

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24577
Yup, my once vast collection of VHS was replaced by slimmer DVDs, which in turn will turn into a credit card sized medium. Regardless of the tech though there will ALWAYS be ppl pirating it. Be it DVD or online or.....whatever. Even the players are getting smaller. I know Leo remembers how big the first VCRs were or even Beta max! Shoot look at what we have now in the lines of portable media devices like the Ipod. I'm guessing someday we'll have our entire collections on a device the size of a stick of gum.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2248
Yep.
The first VHS camcorder I saw was like carrying around a log on your shoulder.

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17002
going away from handheld media wont happen it cuts into losing marketability to a lot of would be buyers who dont have internet access or wont use it and there are still enough of them to make a big difference

Paul Larrea
Diamond Member

Post Number: 24578

quote:

The first VHS camcorder I saw was like carrying around a log on your shoulder.

And cost $1000+ to boot.

And the focus of all the media/com companies is to develop THE device that does it all. Music, phone, video, gps, data storage, ect. And to make it so user friendly that you just HAVE to own one.

I'm old enough to remember the beeper and wearing one 24/7. God what a relic it is now lol.

Anyone remember car phones? In its' beginning they were advertised in mags like Playboy at only $2000! Mind you that was in the early 80's.

leo stierer
Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2249
Just saw the inventor of the cell phone on TV. I think it was someone from Motorola. Anyway, it was huge, like a WWII WalkieTalkie.
Problem? Cost of 4000$ First call? To the president of IBM.

Today? Can't live without 'em.

Carried a pager until my company got everyone a cellphone.

And Yeah, Sean, you've got a point. I'm a little ahead of the curve. Until cable or wireless access is at 100%, streaming won't happen. You'll still have some kine of media. But it won't be BlueRay for more than another couple years. Somebody, somewhere is working on 'the next big thing'.
Who knows? TV's are coming with JPG USB ports today for thumb drives full of pictures. Why not for movies, too?

sean
Platinum Member

Post Number: 17005
ill still take my risks with bluray i think it will be around at least as long as dvd was....remember tvs are only good enough for 1080p yet

im gettting ready to watch an old movie i never saw from dusk till dawn....it should be good
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us