Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 2064
LOL

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 25127
Not shaking any trees but this one looks good to me. Anyone else? I'm a huge fan of Matt and I so want scarlett Johansson as my soul mate lol.

Ok that sounded weird.

But really, this movie looks good to me. Can't wait!

Hard to believe SJ was the same girl from Lost in Translation and The Horse Whisperer!

She has really turned into a Beautiful young woman.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25128
Sorry about the error.

Just type in "We bought a zoo" in Youtube and you'll find it.

Matt is showing his age but that's cool. It means he's as human as the rest of us. Makes me crossing 40 a bit less painful lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25129
2nd attempt.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2591
Saw 'Ides of March' the other day.
Clooney, ends up pretty greasy.
otherwise? well done political story from the campaign guys viewpoint.
I'll give it 8 points on the 'ecoustics 10 point scale'.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25162
Went on a spree the last couple of days. Picked up a couple new releases and some older titles as well. Big Lots has a $3 DVD bin to rival Walmart's $5 bin so I HAD to indulge.

Fast Five
Newest Transformers
Shorts
Leatherheads
Ghost Town
Tropic Thunder
Don't be a Menace to South Central....... (Yes it was an impulse)
Leon, The Professional
The Last Samurai
Pleasantville
The American President

Gonna start with Leon, The Professional. I remember the movie and loved Jean Reno's performance. He plays a fantastic subtle good guy which is very charismatic.

There were quite a few I left behind that I was tempted with. For $3 there really isn't much of a risk though.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25163
Went back and grabbed a few more. For $3 again it isn't a risk is it lol?

Bruno
A Night at The Roxbury
March of The Penguins
Shorts. Yes I have this one already but to get it for $3 it's worth it just to give it to my ex. Yeah, I'm like that.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2073
got tickets to Paranormal 3. Gonna go watch it tomorrow. Was in a mood for a cheap horror flick and this one didn't get bad reviews. Will post an ecoustic's review once seen.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2602
Anyone see Apollo 18?
Great idea.....playing off the 'did we really land on the moon?' crowds paranoia.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2075
i did not see it yet. If i remember correctly, that movie didn't get too good reviews. I will check it out once i get my hands on it.

Also saw 50/50 last night. Was a great movie to watch. Emotional even at some points. 8.5/10

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25183
Wow. Never heard of either.

Wait, we landed on the moon?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2076
lol.

Paranormal Activity 3 was awesome! Scariest out of the bunch so far. If you've seen the other 2 and liked them, then this one is a MUST. It got some cheap scares too but overall i enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25185
Nice. Buddy of mine is into horror/suspense. Never thrilled me so much. I mean I always watched films like Exorcist and the Friday the 13th series but I never got the rise out of being spooked. Nightmare on Elm Street? Nothing for me personally.

There have been some good honorable mentions like Sixth Sense and classics like Psycho but I never leaned towards them in general. I always liked action/adventure/Sci-fi, ect.

Ok, we can throw in the occasional comedy and drama flicks. I do like a variety.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2607
Earth vs The Flying Saucers was on a few nites ago so I did the TIVO thing.
One of the really good ones....again from the '50s. I'll watch it a few times over the next couple weeks than forget about it until it comes on again........

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25211
Bought a few. Just HAD to get the newest Pirates. What they say about it is true. If you like Jack then you'll like it. The movie is nothing without Depp. I found myself drifting away several times. The story just doesn't grab you at all. Also grabbed........

Congo
Talladega Nights
The Italian Job
The Outsiders

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that I had to buy the Bluray/DVD combo of Pirates. Is this their way of forcing us to Bluray? By first offering combo disc deals and eventually only Bluray? I couldn't find it only on DVD. $30 too. That sucks.

The others were $5 bin deals. The Outsiders was a find IMO. Love them greasers!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25225
Anyone catch the new Twilight? I heard there were lines that begun hours before the midnight showing. I mean ppl even took off work!

That there is hard core.

I did hear the birth scene was pretty graphic.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2082
Ricky Bobby!!

I think I will wait to see Twilight. Maybe till it comes out on Blu Ray or when the movie theater hype dies out. No way I'm waiting in a line to see that movie. Plus I heard it was not too good but I will be the judge of that.

Username: Jmacguire

Post Number: 4
I think 'Immortal' is great. It has nice picturization and good quality of effect.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25289
Saw hangover 2 finally. Probably mentioned it in another thread.

It's what they say it is. The same story only minor tweaks to the scenes and locations. The plot is spot on a rip from the first. Still funny but wish it had a twist to it that the first one had. The first is a classic and the second leaves you feeling it was only made to make $$, which it did.

All in all I give it 6/10 stars. Watchable just not THAT memorable at all.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2670
Hangover 2? Yawn. Even the thai sex angle couldn't save it.
yick.

Saw 'Girl With The Dragon Tatoo'. I'll give it 8.5 of 10. Man, it takes a while to connect but it hits with the force of a belly flop from the hi board. WHAM.

You MUST SEE MoneyBall. This is great Entertainment. Great Story and great acting. Based on real events, you'll be rooting for the home team in no time. Brad Pitt brings it on. 9 of 10.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15922
Yup, Hangover 2 was very bleh.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25292
Wasn't too crazy about seeing Moneyball but I'll have to give it a shot when it's on DVD.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2672
MoneyBall is a must-see for fans of baseball.

Paul, the usual deal prevails.

If you don't like the movie, send your rental receipt and a reasonable charge for popcorn and you will be fully reimbursed.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25293
Up tonight? Moneyball.

Confident my $20 purchase won't disappoint.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25295
I have to admit Leo Moneyball was very good. No reinbursment necessary.

There aren't too many Brad Pitt movies I disliked and he nailed his role like a charm. Kinda wakens you up to the always present fact that baseball, just like almost anything today, is a calculated investment. It was interesting to see how the numbers played a roll.

All in all I give it a solid 8.5/10. My son will love it.

Bronze Member
Username: Nelson1234

Post Number: 12
Moneyball ?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25371
Long overdue review. Real Steel. That is the father-son movie of the year! My son put it on my radar and I never gave it much attention. It came out on DVD so I picked it up. Watched it. AMAZING.

Basically it's Rocky as a robot but you just HAVE to love the rolls played by Hugh Jackman and Dakota Goyo. They nail this one. I've seen it like 12 times already. While it may not be an award winning film it moves you none the less. The connection between Father and son and how it plays out in the end is marvelous. A true nail biter with a spectacular finish only a movie lover can appreciate.

For me the connection Hugh Jackman has with the aged bot and how it incorporates into his own life is what makes this film shine. A true testament that age does NOT define ability.

I give it 9/10 stars.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2688
Isn't Real Steel a remake of an old Twilight Zone episode?

Now, has anyone seen any of the Best Picture noms? I saw The Artist the week before the Awards and it is great stuff.
I saw 6 of the 9 Best Pic noms and liked 'em all.
I'd say 'The Help' is the sleeper of the bunch........

Anybody see Hugo?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25379
I haven't seen any of them. I have no desire to see/watch a silent film either. I know it won the award but I just can't bring myself to watch it.

I guess I'll wait until they all hit the $5 bins lol.

Glad to see "Titanic" still shares the record for most awards. What is it like 11 with 14 nominations?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2700
In the 'so bad it's good' category......
I just saw 'Casa De Mi Padre' the All-Spanish w/English subtitles TeleNovela entry from Will Ferrell.
My Spanish speaking family reports his Spanish is not bad, but definately NOT native.
The plot was straight out of a Spanish 'soap'...or TeleNovela. All the bases were covered from falling in love with the brothers GF to bad effects to great camera work for 'drama'. Evil Gringo? Check. Drug lord? several. Beautiful maids? of course. Cliche love scene? as only Will Ferrell can do it. Wacky Family Dinner? need I say more?

As a time killer, you could do a LOT worse. I'm putting this on my BR list when it hits the bins........

Username: Fredia

America

Post Number: 8
I like wathcing movies, too. The Pursuit of Happyness, I like it very much.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25394
Started watching Thor last night. Went to bed before it finished. I wasn't that all impressed thus far. The story just isn't at all what I expected. Not saying it's bad but as of yet hasn't wow'd me.

It was one of 8 I grabbed.

Terminator 3, Rise of the Machines
Quicksilver
The Final Season
Doom
Scoop
Thor
Stormship Troopers 2 and 3

The action flicks I picked up for the boy. He likes destruction and explosions!!

Quicksilver I liked back when it came out. I pretty much like every movie Kevin Bacon is in.

The Final Season is about baseball so again for the boy.

Scoop? I'll admit it, I don't care if it sucks. It's got Scarlett Johansson in it lol. What a babe. Anxiously awaiting for "We Bought a Zoo" to come out on DVD. It might already have.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2087
Great to see this thread is still alive Haven't been here for a while.

I saw Thor and actually enjoyed it. Took a while to get the movie to start but in the end I felt like it was a good watch. Definitely one of the better DC/Marvel type of movies out there. 8/10 from me.

Doom (The Rock) was also a good movie considering when it came out. Won't say I was wowed by it but it was an alright movie. Would probably give that like a 7/10 being generous.

I saw The Hunger Games this weekend. Loved it. Haven't read the books and went into the theater knowing only very little about it. Not a single thing I disliked in the movie. In fact, I've even ordered the books and can't wait to get them. Are the books for teens/tweens? Who cares? I haven't had a good read in a while and people are certainly suggesting it's a great read for all ages/genders. Not having read the books and barely knowing anything going into the theaters, I'll give it a 9/10. That rating is definitely subject to change depending on how the book is. From what I hear, they did a great job making the movie and capturing all of the important things from the book. Also definitely going in my collection.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25396
I heard a good number of those tallying up the numbers for Hunger Games were from Twilight fanatics who just purchased the ticket to watch the trailer. I mean really?

I've been hearing nothing but good things about the movie myself. Won't pay theater prices but will lay it down for a DVD. I can wait.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2710
I don't KNOW if Hunger Games falls in the category of 'Must See in Theater' or not.
Some movies seem to demand the big screen. Since the advent of really big screen TVs in the home and the better sound systems which go with it, the number has dropped, but a FEW are still bigger/better.

Maybe Avatar? In the past, Forbidden Planet for sure. That one, on a 27" CRT set thru the TV speakers simply didn't make it.......

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25397
Oh yeah Leo lol. With my 101" projection screen and surround sound and my insane ht sub I don't deem most movies a MUST see in theaters. My kids LOVE it. I just have to limit them so I don't have to keep replacing bulbs! They want to watch EVERY movie this way. It's like having a gallon of gas in a corvette and ALWAYS wanting to punch it all the time.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2714
Saw 'StageCoach' tonight. The 1939 movie that made John Wayne a BIG star. John Ford production.

Man, what a great movie with the elder Caradine as a sleezy gambler, Andy Devine as the driver and others you'd recognize.

I know, I know....B&W? not for me! But the characters are well drawn and sophisticated. Good and bad is not so simple, is it?

Must see. 9 of 10 on Ecoustics 10 point scale. Even my wife enjoyed it.....and she HATES Westerns....

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2738
I'm in TROUBLE now!
Wife called from work. She was looking at movie trailers and now wants to go see::
The Three Stooges.

What am I getting into here?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25428
A mess and a waste of $$ from what I hear.

This was a classic they should have not touched IMO.

It's not like King Kong or Superman where modern special effects can actually enhance the film's appeal. We're talking about a comedy trio from a time period that many today fail to remember, let alone appreciate. As a kid I watched the B/W three stooges episodes on Saturday mornings. While even I found the humor rather redundant I still liked to watch. To try and cash in on that era today seems to me a little desperate.

I guess Hollywood really is running out of ideas.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2740
Paul,
It's both better and worse than you suspect.

I didn't get many belly laughs, but the wife, who enjoys silly stuff really had a good time. Done as 3 'episodes' or shorts, in the original style I doubt modern kids would get it. Too Stupid, maybe. All the effects were good, taking advantage of some modern tech while still doing the rubber hammer stuff of old. The Foley guys stole all the right noises and used 'em at the right time.

They MISSED the defense against the V-finger eye poke and didn't get in the over the head fist thing until near the end.

Larry David played a nun. He must have been bored stiff when he got the call. Sonia Vergara was in it as was the lady from Glee. Maybe I missed a few?

And in defense of this movie, at least the writers 'got it', unlike several movies from other styles or media. Lost in Space and Wild Wild West were both awful. Other of the comic strip-turned-movie genre also came up a little short, at least for me.

Oscar noms? Not a chance. Fun? I think so, and they did OK.

I'll give it a solid 7 of 10 on the Ecoustics 10 point scale.

And, BTW, Paul, you can STILL see the Stooges on AMC, I think. I know they've been drug out of retirement AGAIN, maybe because of the movie, but with maybe 4 episodes back-to-back, how can you miss?

The originals are in no way diminished by this 'homage'.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25429
You know, in a sense maybe that's why Titanic did so well. James Cameron went to such extreme depths to get the facts in the movie right. From the details of the ship to all the proceedings that involved the sinking. He even went as far as to follow up and make some corrections years after when newly discovered elements were examined and new theories were confirmed. Much more respectable then just taking an idea and running with it to cash in on it at the box office.

That's why I suspected The Stooge movie to follow in just such a manner. Forget about what made them an icon of an era, just use the name because it hasn't been done before.

Kinda like the new Volkswagen Beetle. Well when I say new I mean anything post Herbie the love bug. The car was such an icon of the 60's and 70's with its' infamous engine sound and unique profile. I remember riding around in my late Grandfather's Volkswagen mini bus. We had a blast everywhere we went, at least when he gave in to our constant beggings! While their newest version tries desperately to mimic the original it just falls to the side of the road as an equal in influential cars. Today cars are pretty much a revolving commodity. Growing up my folks had cars 10 years or more. Today? 3-4 years and most switch up. Funny too because they make them to last so much longer. It's just that everyone wants the latest and greatest and are willing to part ways at such a more frequent rate.

Not too far from marriages today lol.

Oooooo did I just say that?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25434
Just saw "We bought a zoo".

I waited until DVD release for this one. All in all a good movie. Very heart warming. The movie does have it's slower parts but the ending nails it. The overall message is inspiring. Based off a true story so that ALWAYS adds an appeal to me. Finally a roll Miss Johansson doesn't play a sex symbol in. Very good acting in all IMO and from what I gather not a big investment in a film budget. Doesn't matter, it works. I like movies with subtle symbolism and you can't help but see it everywhere in this movie. From the ailing tiger to the hardass inspector. You can plug it all into your own life somehow and relate.

I like it. 8/10 stars.

I also picked up John Q today out of the $3 bins of Big Lots. I'm a fan of any Denzel film and I vaguely remember seeing it before and I know I liked it. Worth 300 pennies easily.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25435
I also have to comment on "The Last Season".

Saw it and loved it. My son gave it 9/10 stars. Not a big budget film but a story about high school baseball in the midwest shouldn't be. Also a true story which to me adds at least 2 stars blindly. Just when I thought I was tired of films about our great pastime I see one that changes my mind. I remember seeing Sean Austin in "Toy Soldiers" years ago and I'm glad he's still in the movie biz. He has a raw natural talent and a very likable appeal. Any movie I watch more than once I deem a keeper and this one certainly is.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25451
Yeah I broke my usual protocol on this one. I had an afternoon to kill with my daughter and I laid it out there what she wanted to do. "Avengers" was her first response. I was going to wait for the DVD but you know how convincing daughters can be.

All in all I have to say it's not exactly what I was expecting. Then again it is. It has it's slow moments but the action that picks up mid span more than makes up for it. I, along with the balance of the theater, caught myself bursting out in laughter at a few Hulk scenes. You just can't resist. The Iron Man ingredient is spot on and I have to wonder if his participation in the Avenger film, destined for a sequel by the way, will all but eclipse any possibility of an Iron Man 3. After all he's involved with this series now. I really don't see this candle burning from both ends.

Action, humor, special effects and a ton of $$ makes it worth the ticket price. (Minus the $7 drink, $9 popcorn and $6 candy bar).

Glad I saw it. Will certainly be on my DVD shelf shortly after release. 9/10 stars.

Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25452
Wow am I out of touch. I just read an article about Iron Man 3 that's coming out. Scratch my theory on that lol. Looks like they will enjoy that double burning candle.

Username: Rambof07

Los Angeles, CA United States

Post Number: 1
Saw is a commendable movies really awesome to watch it has power to entertain any one not even first time even so many times.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25457
Thanks!!!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2805
Can't recommend 'Prometheus' enough. Great effects and story, too.
I've got a few questions but don't want to be a spoiler just yet.

This one is on 'blue ray' list.

Username: Rambof07

Los Angeles, CA United States

Post Number: 3
wow, it's really great movie and i would like to say must see it man.......

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25525
Went to go school clothes shopping for my boy and thought I would pick up a copy of Hunger Games while I was there.

No dice. Only thing left was the bluray version. I even went to several different stores with the same luck. Shucks I guess lol. I'm just not ready for the jump to bluray yet. Mainly because we're back into dropping $30 on a movie again. They are limiting new releases on DVD intentionally I assume to force us all into the next format. I just won't do it. I suppose I'll have to wait until I can pick up the DVD again when the shelves get restocked.

Was looking forward to seeing it tonight too!!!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25530
Up tonight? Hunger Games. Found it at Walmart. Lengthy film (142 minutes) but looking forward to it. I picked up the DVD/digital copy on sale for $16.95. A LOT better than dropping $30 for sure.

We'll see how she goes.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25531
Wow I was taken back. Not by what you think though. Because of all the interruptions I never got through it all. NFL starts tonight so it will have to wait to finish. 142 minutes is a good length. I liked what I see so far. Pretty predictable too. I have a good 45 minutes to go in it.

***Sigh*** Isn't life always seem to be on hold for other things?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2098
Did you get a chance to finish it?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25532
Yes I did. I liked the movie but I have to admit I don't think I was missing anything waiting for the DVD. Yes the story SCREAMS for a sequel which is built into every plot in movies today. It will do well going forward, there are just so many directions they can take this film going forward. Will she become the newest mentor/trainer or will the plot take a twist and somehow include her in future games?

We'll just have to see.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2881
Good news:
Packers lost tonight!

I TIVO'd 'Mean Streets' a couple days ago and finally got around to a viewing. This is a solid 9 of 10. Don't forget, this is a 1973 movie with a fairly young Robert Deniro and Harvey Keitel. They're a couple guys in NYC's Little Italy. Deniro plays basically an idiot who owes everybody money until he made the mistake of borrowing from the Shylock. Deniro's friend, Keitel is connected but even HE can't protect the idiot kid from the 'interest charge'. Complicating things? Keitel loves Deniro's sister and a black stripper......
What's a mook?
Scorsese at his early best. While his first directorial gig was in late 50s, he didn't hit his stride until the 70s.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2099
I like the Packers

and the only good news to me is that now, hopefully, owners along with Mr.Goodell will now wake up and make changes to officiating. Give legit contracts and make some damn good calls! Last night's game was just crazy.

Ok...back to movies lol

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2884
I don't follow football except for the 2 games a year which matter.....
Guess which ones!

could someone explain, in words of 1 syllable, just WTF is going on with NFL refs? And WHY they went with obvious scabs?
Any worse and it will end up hurting the NFL, maybe?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25543
It's a political waiting game. On one hand you have the blatantly horrific replacement refs making calls a 4 year old wouldn't infuriating any and every fan. On the other you have the refs at home waiting for the financial bubble to burst in their favor. What I don't like is the fact that many of the "angry" refs holding out make $200,000/year already. Then I hear they're demanding an additional $60,000 from each team?

For 3 hours a week, 20 weeks a year if they ref during the preseason. Post season I believe is additional bonus pay. That works out to like $3333/hr. I can also assume all travel expenses are paid by the league as well as a hefty retirement/health care program.

And they're holding out for more?

I'm not saying what the replacement refs are doing to the sport isn't absurd and possibly detrimental to its' future but who's really to blame here? I guess all the millions the players make has finally touched the refs in the only greedy way it can. Demanding more.

Seriously though, ticket prices are so high now and franchised gear is priced like it came from NASA. $10,000 to ref a game is ridiculous. I know it's a billion $ industry but the greed has to stop somewhere.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2895
seems like I've been answered by the NFL. I hope the refs did good tonight, not having the 'pre season' to warm up.

My research shows the Average ref making 149,000$ a year. Max is about 8k per game. Lots of road time and since it is only a part time job....maybe 30 hours per week......lots of time for a hobby.

And further research shows the problem is not necessarily Ref greed but rather a disagreement over RETIREMENT bennies. Owners wanted to go with a 401 style plan while the refs were happy with whatever they had.

I understand the money is 'pooled' and the refs draw from the NFL funds. Also, since games are going on more days, I think the NFL want more ref squads, which will dillute the money to each ref.

I'll talk to my brother in law. He's the sports guy and should be able to straighten this out and have it make some sense.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2917
Looper is now out and it is GREAT.

Without spoiler, I'll give it 8.5 on the Ecoustics 10Point scale.
High marks, too, for what in other time travel movies, turns into a morass of conflicts and contraditions due to time travel 'restrictions'....

They don't dwell on the 'tech' either, just that it 'is'.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25572
So who here has or knows of someone who camped out or had midnight tickets for the Twilight Breaking Dawn sequel? I have a secretary at work who has always taken the day off work in order to catch the first showing.

At first I never saw the draw and then I took the time to watch the films and I can easily see the appeal to women of almost all ages. After all look at the choice of actors. Think it would have done better with guys like Steve Buscemi lol? Guys too who like something different, especially if it involves vampires, werewolves and some very serene scenery.

What I don't like is the incredible attention the series has gotten over a subject that has been done so many times in the past. Maybe the film's success has been directly related to its' cast choice and to the broad and endless romantic female mind?

Hollywood has always been a crap shoot and sometimes all the ingredients come together at the right time in society and with the most influential ppl.

As always I will NOT pay to see it but will wait for the DVD. That's as far as I take it for most films I like.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25580
Anyone looking forward to the latest Batman coming out on DVD on the 4th?

I am.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25584
Just picked up the latest Batman. Looking forward to watching it tonight. Will review. My boy just HAD to have Ted. The one with Mark Walberg who lives with his come to life teddy bear. They say it's hilarious. We'll see.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25586
Oh boy what a twist The Dark Knight Rises is. I liked it. The film is good and the ending is very satisfying. There were some questionable parts but all in all well worth watching. You have to be prepared however on franchise movie series' like these to expect the backdoor for yet another sequel. This film does indeed provide that. Where it can go from here who knows but I myself have some very interesting suggestions. Like Twilight and the Harry Potter films they just simply won't let it die.

I'll look forward to the next one as I'm sure there will be. On our scale of 1-10? A good solid 8 1/2.

My son was on the floor over "Ted" as he states it's the funniest movie he's seen in years. Next on my list but not tonight. Just how funny can a talking teddy bear be anyway lol?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2104
Man I loved Ted. I found it to be highly entertaining and hilarious to say the least.

Dark Knight Rises, I give it a 9.5. Should a great movie. Took some time to get used to Bane's voice but that was probably the only thing I disliked. Also, its amazing what some sit ups and push ups can do to someone who cant walk, or stand

They plan on rebooting the film, which I think just blows. There is SO much more potential in this current generation's franchise and would just suck to see it restart.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25587
I've rewatched it and feel the same way. I agree Skullz that his "recovery" from his aging dilapidated self into yet another super hero was a bit quick lol. The ending still makes the film.

Rebooting the franchise? Well think of it like cars. How many generations of camaros and corvettes are there? Some things just won't die lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25588
Watched "Artic Blast" last night. It was a cheapo in the Walmart bins. Looked good so I took a chance. Also bought "Where the wild things are" and "Bucket list".

Ok, Artic Blast was such a "B" movie and a huge disappointment I can't describe. This was another "packaging over content" movie that I fell for. Movie was made in Australia obviously by the accents of the actors. Low budget and badly written. Stay away lol.

Took my kids to see "Wild Things" so there wasn't a gamble here. $5 for this movie is a bargain. Well written film with lots of imagination. No wonder a hit with the youngsters.

Bucket List? Haven't seen yet. MUST be worth $5 though as I've heard nothing but great things about the film. Not to mention the two leading actors just can't make a bad film. Both played key rolls in many fantastic films and with such a combined wealth of great acting I can only look forward to it. Sure it appeals to the older viewers and must be assumed because of its' message but I believe EVERYONE can take something away from a good movie no matter the message.

Sunday night football tonight though so it won't be tonight!!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2106
Feel like watching The Grinch (Jim Carey) and Jingle All the Way tonight.

I don't celebrate Christmas but in a mood to watch those lol.

And of course will watch A Christmas Story tomorrow (I think one of the channels [TBS or TNT I think] is showing it for a full 24 hours).

Planning on watching something with the family/families?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25590
Kids almost in bed. Waiting for midnight to start watching A Christmas Story. Don't know if I'll get through it as they will certainly get me up early tomorrow so I'll need the sleep.

I don't know of any other movie that has such a hold on people every year like that one does.

It's become iconic.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2956
Saw 'The Hobbit' early this morning at the 'bargain' show.

Realized after sitting for nearly 3 hours.....that this is PART I of what may end up a 3-parter.

Already a few variations from the book, but nothing deal breaking, while the movie develops nicely.

In a few years, you'll be able to buy BOTH trilogies for 30$ in BR and have a weekend film-fest. The extras / interview disk will be well worth a look, too.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2989
Managed to catch a showing of ARGO before it is retired to Video....
and well worth it.

This is 100% story / suspense / at its best. Watch for it at Oscar time....Ben may get an award.

9 of 10 on the Ecoustics 10 point scale......must see.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25607
Looks good but I have never heard of it before today. They must not have marketed it much.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2993
Argo might have been a little 'under the radar'.....but not to worry....it is a top notch film with terrific performances.
It is based on the TRUE events of November of 1979 when the U.S. Embassy in Tehran was 'overran' by lunatics....some of whom are now in charge of Iran.
Anyway, 6 embassy workers escaped and took refuge with the Canadian ambassador. The rest of the story is about these 6 getting OUT in one piece. Ben Affleck should get an award.
Tightly written, well cast and it sticks pretty much to the truth. Support cast is a highlight with John Goodman and Alan Arkin in pivotal roles.

Saw Iron Lady tonight on TIVO. The wife snagged it a couple weeks ago and we just got around to it. I'm not ordinarily a Meryl Streep fan, but she really did a great job here. Margaret Thatcher was the real deal and LED her country pretty much during the same time frame as Reagan. And was a proponent of similar conservative ideals.
Good movie, if a little soft in spots.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25613
Nice. I was never a Meryl Streep fan outside of Ironweed or Deerhunter. She's a great actress.

Pre ordered the latest Twilight on DVD 2 days ago. For my daughter of course! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Comes out March 2nd.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2107
haha...I still need to finish Part 1 Breaking Dawn. And I'll admit it, I'm watching it for myself lol.

So whats up? Been a while since I logged in. I've been busy with school and haven't seen much. Anything good out lately?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25620
The trailer for Iron Man 3 looks sweet. Yet a new villian and yet a new plot twist. Looks like there will be more screen time for the hardware, which as a guy, is always nice.

Breaking Dawn 2? It was good. No spoilers here but as always even though is was the "last" chapter it leaves you wondering "There are 53 1/2 ways to spin this last one into the next". Daughter watched it like 3 times in 2 days, then proceeded to start watching the series from the start. Yeah she has a problem lol.

Forum is sinking bad Skullz. The OT section gets hit with spammers only anymore and the sub section is no where to be found. I'm talking about a section that used to get 100+ posts/day and at least a dozen new threads. Today you can see 2-3+ days go in between posts. It's pathetic.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2110
Yea i see its getting worse day by day. I miss the sub section. I guess with all these new cars coming out with premium sound systems, the demand for an enhanced entertainment system has gone down tremendously. I myself have changed from wanted to have loud bass to now wanted only clean deep bass.

Iron Man 3 looks legit, can't wait to see it.

Have you seen the trailer for Fast Six? Now THAT I cannot wait for.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3020
Wife rented 'Life of Pi' today.
An amazing bit of film and certainly well worth consideration as 'Best Picture' in the Oscars.
You must see this movie. I'd even say it was good for Kids since language is not an issue...though the Tiger has some unusual eating habits.

Aren't their any movie fans left?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3021
I'm gonna be FIRST in line when Star Wars Episode #7 makes it to the big screen. I don't care HOW long it takes.
I'll even have to buy some of that overpriced, nasty popcorn for the occassion.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25622
Good you still have the passion. For me though I have the patience for the DVD release. It only takes a few months anyway these days. That and you get all the goodies like unreleased footage, commentaries, behind the scenes, ect. Heck for a top movie today you get the Blu-ray, DVD, digital copy AND all the rest for less than the price of admission with concessions. I know though, some are just so into the here and now. I do still love the theater experience but feel it may soon be a thing of the past.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3031
Next step is to 'worry' about the Summer Movies.
Anything coming down the pipe I should know about?
Part II of 'The Hobbit' should be here soon.

I'd expect some 'franchise' pictures, too.....more of same.....with scripts written by paycheck collectors for greedy producers.

If anything original or 'of note' comes out, please wake me up.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25641
Wow what a response to the international release of Iron Man 3. What was it, $195 million the first weekend? Then again I want to see tickets sold not total $$. $13 for the ticket, $7 for a soda, $10 for popcorn, x 4= ect. Like I said, I'll wait for the DVD/Bluray.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3036
Movie attendance continues to decline.

This chart tells only part of the story....you need to look at the tremendous increase in ticket prices, too.....

If only Hollywood would write an original screenplay.....but dream on.
IM3? I'll wait for the 3$ rental, too.

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2111
i myself can't remember the last time I was at the theaters. I really do want to see a few movies but just can't find the time for it.

Pain & Gain
Iron Man 3
Fast Six
Superman

Those will probably be the only movies I go to watch during the summer.

Maybe I'll watch Monster's University also lol

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3038
Oblivion
Good summer entry and at least partially original. Earth fights a war with Alliens. We won....or DID we?
Enter the hero......Tom Cruise as a repairman tasked with keeping things going until he is relieved of duty.

Than it starts getting.....

Well....you'll need to see for yourself.

Enjoy....I'll give it a strong 8 of 10 for a summer entry.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25643
Against my better judgement and own advice I have teased my kids into taking them to see Iron man 3. Just for the fun factor. Yeah it will cost me $40+ for the 3 of us and I'll eventually shell out another $15 for the DVD in 6 months but I wanted to treat them anyway. Turns out between the two of them and their baseball/softball schedules it wouldn't be until next week until a free day is available anyway. So much for the instant gratification factor!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3039
Consider yourself lucky you are not a FOOTBALL fan.
Yourself and the 2 littles? It'd have to run 250$ for a pro game. Or more. I have no real idea. Tickets could cost anywhere from 75$ each on UP.

Than add food, transpo, parking and a couple keepsakes.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25647
Oh I know. In Philadelphia a decent seat costs $150. Forget about box seats. Parking is $20. The Bridge $5. Pretzels are $5, soda $5. $7.50 for watered down light beer. I simply don't go. Can't afford it. No problem. I prefer the experience at home anyway. It's an all day affair anyway going to a game. If kickoff is at 4pm then the tailgating starts before noon. Means you're there at 10am to get a decent spot so you leave the house at 9am. Game is over at 7pm or so. After the rush and complete stand still outside you get home maybe by 9pm? Yeah hundreds of $$ and a Sunday gone. Plus you miss the other games. I'm a fan but a couch commando it is for me.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3041
Charger tickets? From 55$ to OVER 300$.
The 'cheap seats'? In another Zip Code. You're so far away, you hear the PA announcer from the LAST play.
I have NO idea about parking cost. From my house it is about 3 miles to a public train.....than to the main station and 1 hour to the city. Another 30 or 40 minutes to the stadium on the trolly. Sounds worse than it is.
Parking at Qualcom is a bad joke. At least they are also 'freeway close' and you can get on 15 n/s in a mile and the 8 e/w is right there, too.

When I go to Petco....it is 11$ rt, with a transfer. I'm a 'senior' now and that means it's even LESS. Takes me 90' to get to a baseball game AND I save the parking hassle......and expense. I can even have a couple of beers, knowing I've got a 1 hour trainride+ to get home.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2113
Finally done with finals and finally graduated college

So I decided to go to the movies and treat myself with a few friends.

Saw Hangover 3 and Fast Six.

Hangover 3:
It's even worse than the second Hangover. Most of the funny moments were already in the trailer and the last 5 minutes of the movie. Not to spoil anything, I really wished they started the movie off from the ending (those last five minutes). Then it would have been a real wild ride. Not theater material. Maybe $5 DVD box. 4/10 from me.

Fast Six:
Wow! Even better than Fast 5! I'm debating on whether to watch this a second time at the theaters with another group of friends haha. The action just gets better and better. I must say, they have completely flipped this series around from what it initially was. And I love it just as much, if not more! Totally worth watching at the theaters with the effects and all. Also, a new villain is introduced at the end of the movie and we finally catch up with Tokyo Drift. You will NOT be disappointed bythis villain. Again, totally worth going to the movies for. 9.5/10 from me.

Next up: Star Trek!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25654
Some good choices out there peeps. Anyone catch anything lately? I'm hearing good things about Man of Steel, Star Trek into Darkness and Fast Six. Couple I'm indifferent on like World War Z, Pain and Gain and The Lone Ranger. I also hear After Earth bombed. Going to be a field day for DVDs this fall.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25656
Going to take the kids to see "Grown ups 2" tomorrow. I have the first on DVD and it was .........ok for me but the kids really liked it so they are stoked for the sequel. Gotta take them to dinner beforehand so I'm not looking forward to the $75 I'm about to drop. Blah. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3063
Caught the NEW Star Trek offering. Good, entertaining stuff.
It would appear they have 'changed universes' since many inconsistencies are piling up.
I won't go into details, but stuff we KNOW happened in 'our' universe either didn't, doesn't or Can't happen in the 'other' universe. Maybe I'm expecting too much.....and for the sake of a good story, some stuff gets recycled and changed, but........

Did I miss something.

I'm SKIPPING The Lone Ranger altogether. I'll catch it on broadcast TV or MAYBE if someone is selling the BR for 6$ tops. I feel bad for Johnnie Depp since he should have won a couple Oscars by now....given his immense early potential. I know he makes movies his kids can watch, but they should be grown up enough now for him to get back into a real killer role with some 'meat' and plot.

Local Blockbuster looks to be going belly up. About 1/3 the store is for sale and the selection of new movies is DOWN....at least in the number of copies. Staff looks sad, since they know what's coming. Hollywood Video is long gone and I haven't seen a mom+pop vid store in quite a while. Will I be forced to go with NetFlix? depressing.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25659
GU2. I have to say I was a little disappointed that the movie lacked a plot but I eventually forgave it. The movie bounces around from scene to scene with no relevance at all to the previous one. We have some animal humor, burping and f@rting, even some good ole fashion barfing. No violence, drugs, n u d i t y, harsh profanity, zombies or an apocalypse. The kids loved it. I had to admit that such a directionless movie actually made both my middle aged butt and my preteen kids enjoy themselves for 1:40. The critics can bite me because as long as you enjoy yourself and it only costs you $7.50 then you're a winner.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25660
Oh, I HAVE to follow up on a few things. One of which is the ever increasing number of trailers they show before a movie today. 8. There were 8 trailers. Ok so mostly you expect them and even appreciate some of them but in today's case it set back the start time of the movie by 22 minutes. That's a lot. It turned a 1:40 movie into a 2 hr time slot. Something kids with pea size bladders don't work well with.

Secondly I have to comment on a trailer I DID like, Delivery Man. Vince Vaughn plays a distraught delivery man who works for his father who finds out that due to a problem in a fertility clinic he donated sperm to many years ago, he's now the biological father to some 533 children, all of which are suing to discover who he is. It looks like an incredibly charming story of a man lost discovering that he's not only a good person, but destined to be a positive role model to so many he has genetic ties with. Comes out in November. My butt will be in one of those seats lol.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3065
Bit the big one for a 10$ BR....of 'The Kings Speech'. Great stuff even the 2nd time around.
Too bad you can NOT skip the 'previews'. Won't let me get to the top menu without viewing them!

Wife bought herself a Trio of Doris Day / Rock Hudson flicks. She likes that fluff stuff. These are not BR, which is OK......they look fine...

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2114
Delivery Man looks good Paul.

As you guys may know, I'm pretty crazy about horror stuff. There is so much junk out there. I saw the trailer for The Conjuring and it actually looked pretty good, so I went to see it. Wow. I would say this is nothing like a lot of the horror junk that is out right now. I give it a 8/10. It's actually based on a true story, and the horror was real horror. Not cheap shots with loud bangs, etc.

If you guys have a free minute, you should read up on the story (the true story of what happened).

Also ended up watching The Wolverine. It's not bad. I would give it a 7.5/10. If you do see it, wait a minute after the credits as you will be introduced to the next chapter being released next year. It looks promising.

BTW, my theater raised their prices to $14 a ticket! WTH!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3066
Oh Boy! #1000 in this thread!

The summer movies this year are some of the worst, in general, in a decade.
I saw Star Trek and that was pretty good. But some of the others? All are retreads or so poorly written as to drop off the list until TV time in a year or so.

Rising ticket prices are just the symptom of trying to be the next box office 'Smash'. If prices were indexed to inflation AND population numbers to attendence, you'd see that movies were way overpriced and fewer and fewer are actually going to see 'em.

A new rating system needs to be invented. Take account of population and inflation....IF you have to drag money into it. Since that's ALL they care about....making LOTS of money, than that metric should be deep sixed.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2120
A full month has passed and nobody posted in this thread lol...

So i saw Pain & Gain (starring The Rock and Mark Wahlberg). Its actually a pretty good movie, and not like anything else out there. It's based on a true story, which makes it even more interesting (and what made me LOL was that in the middle of the movie, after a certain event happened, the words "Yes, this is still a true story" popped up). It's a great mix of comedy.

8.5/10 on our eCoustics scale.

Next up: This is the End, Now You See Me, and The Great Gatsby.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25667
I read Mark's weight gain in muscle was controversial in that movie. He blew up FAST for that movie. Some say he was juiced? IDK. I'd like to see it.

Some others I'm interested in is the next Star Trek. Looks good. Also like to see another Real Steel. The next Avengers, Ironman, ect. Also The Delivery Man wich I posted above. I'm a sucker for those types.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2126
Don't think I had mentioned this before but I also saw Warm Bodies maybe a month back.

For those who like zombie movies, watch it! BTW, its NOT your everyday zombie movie! It's actually a pretty touching story about a 'zombie' that gets feelings for a girl, and vice versa. The more he loves/feels loved, the less zombie like he becomes. Love makes them more human

It's weird to type out but the movie was great. 9.5/10 from me

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25675
Just bought Ironman 3 and Star Trek, Into Darkness on DVD. Saw Ironman in theaters so yeah that was good. Star Trek was awesome. Well worth the price.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3085
Saw 'Enders Game' today.

Great movie�and they didn't destroy the book, but rather gave it some 'life'. The book had more detail, of course, but the movie had great visuals��.

It is probably killer in 3D, but I'm old fashioned and saw it on a regular screen. Harrison Ford was good and the 'new people' did great.

Having read plenty of Orson Scott Card, I can tell you that sequels are possible and related to this story line�.and could be good movies themselves.

I'll give it 8.0 of 10.0 and add it to my collection on BR when available at a cheap-o price!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2130
I thought this thread was closed. I was unable to post a message here

Anyways, I saw Thor 2, it was good. Action was great but I think it's a better movie to watch at home than to pay premium prices for a theater. 8/10

Didn't get a chance to see Enders Game yet. I have the book at home and am debating whether i should read it first and then watch it or watch the movie and then read the book. I also don't have time to read it lol.

Can't wait for the upcoming Hunger Games movie

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3087
As someone who reads a LOT�..before lights out each night and my 2hr (round trip) train ride to work, I can tell you if you have NO time to read, it's better to simply SEE the movie!
The movie is NOT a ruin of the book, but I do enjoy the book better. Don't forget, there are a SERIES of books with this just the first.
So, if you begin readin 'em�..you're STUCK!

A perfect example is the AWFUL movie versions of the RiverWorld books. I have a matched set of paperbacks�all 5 or 6 of 'em��and trust me, the movies S*ck��They simply miss the point, most of the plot and ruin characters�while missing COUNTLESS opportunities for a quality, fun and entertaining adaptation.

Enders game has NO such faults. You'll enjoy the sort-of-surprise ending, too.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25682
Saw Hunger Games Catching Fire yesterday with the kids. Great movie but as usual I was disappointed with the circus. Yes it was Black Friday and Yes it was a 6:30 showing so I guess I had it coming. We arrived 45 minutes early and still waited in line for tickets. After waiting the 45 minutes we were tormented with 30 minutes of trailers. THAT'S too long!. I realize for marketing reasons it's a necessity but 1/2 hr of trailers is too much for any movie. Take into consideration the film's 146 minute runtime, plus the 45 minute wait ahead of time to buy tickets on top of the trailers makes this a 4 hour event. Something an 11 and 13 year old don't have the bladder capacity to handle lol.

The movie was good like I said and obviously sets you up like a classic cliffhanger in the end for the 3rd. It was a bit more clever and sci-fi than the first so thumbs up for that.

On our E-scale I gave it an 8/10. My daughter of course gave it a +10/10 because she's as strong minded as the lead actress and just loves to see the "girl" as the fighter.

All in all it was a $50 evening. Dang those concessions!!!!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25685
Still have not seen delivery man yet. I may wait for the DVD but I'm so psyched about it I might pay the premium to see it in theaters. Then again, maybe not.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3092
Loved 'Catching Fire'�..and didn't even mind the 'hook' to part III.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25690
Catching fire was good. better than the first IMO. The twist in the end was a surprise. Saw Frozen on Youtube with my daughter a week back. Caught a pirate upload that took Disney a good ten days to catch. The trick was they uploaded a mirrored clip so the filters didn't catch it. As an adult I'm glad I didn't drop the $50 in theaters. She "liked" it but it wasn't a smash like she expected. Still waiting for Delivery man on DVD. Probably early spring?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3101
Doing my 'catch-up' routine and trying to see a couple of the Best Picture noms.
This week? I managed to see 'American Hustle'.
For those to young to remember this is a fictionalized account of REAL events. Yes, the FBI hired a guy to play a Rich Arab and entice various politicians to take bribes to do other illegal things.
Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games�and more) plays a WACKY wife of the main character. The rest of the movie is very well cast and played, too. You simply can't beat this slice of pseudo-history. For those of you under say�..50�.. you might want to spend 5 minutes reading up on ABSCAM�..

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2132
I've seen the newest 300 movie in IMAX 3D.

I highly suggest to wait for this movie to come out on the $5 DVD bins to watch it.

The first one, as it MANY other movies, was a million times better and made more sense. The action was also better in the first one. This new one just came across as a cheap knockoff of the original. 6/10

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25692
Finally saw Delivery man. Loved it. Kinda predictable and unbelievable but I didn't care. The movie had a good message and though I personally only sired 2 children I can relate lol. A solid 8/10 stars for me.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2133
Disney's Frozen - great movie. Especially if you have children. Definitely one of the better Disney movies I have seen.

9.5/10

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2134
BTW, is anyone else (and by anyone else I mean Paul and Leo lol) not able to see the posts completely? To me, half of the posts are cut off...just me?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25695
No problem here. I'm using Chrome with Adblock.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3116
Finally DID see 'Frozen'. Fun, and worthwhile.

Today? I saw 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' with a very large, well-known cast. See how many YOU can spot! I give myself about 60%

I'll let YOU see this one. I don't think I could write a proper review.
Sets / Costumes / dialogue were all super. The plot concerns a Concierge and 'his' clients�..and a terrible crime in which he is implicated. His 'Lobby Boy' sticks with him thru thick and thin��

Must See��..

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3131
CHEF
Put this one on the 'must see' list. Great NON-SAPPY date movie.
Well plotted, good performances and NICE location work.
I'll give it 8 of 10.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2137
Ended up watching Guardians of the Galaxy. Would definitely recommend watching at home (it is theater-worthy too, but may not be in theaters anymore).

8.5/10

I like how this sort of links of the other movies in a way. We are getting to see more characters!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3188
Went with the relatives and saw CANTINFLAS.
He was a Latin American biggie who had a single huge hit here in the states. That being 'Around The World In 80 Days'. There were something like 50 or 60 major star Cameos in that movie and it was so billed.
Cantinflas was so popular, that as the saying goes, he couldn't buy his own lunch. He was #1 in Latin AMerica making over 150 movies and appearing in countless stage shows and revues.
While the movie is somewhat dated, and the REMAKE with Jackie Chan was only OK, the BioPic about Cantinflas is worthwhile and good cinema.
The SPANISH language parts have English subs while,
The ENGLISH language parts have Spanish Subs!

Too bad we won't see much of this movie and it'll be into rental pretty quick. Pretty ambitious, and a great glimpse of 'tinsel town' in action.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3206
FANS of REAL SciFi simply MUST SEE the new Matthew McConaughey offering.

INTERSTELLER is a real adventure. Good Scifi. Well acted and an engaging plot / story.

Even my non-scifi literate wife enjoyed this flick and asked some good questions about the 'science' part.

I'm not a big Oscar Guy, but maybe a supporting nod or perhaps effects or writing. SOMEBODY needs to be recognized for this movie.

In general, it falls in the 'end of world' category with Earth on the brink of failure, mass starvation and Chaos. A former NASA astronaut, turned FARMER gets a strange message in the form of a haunted / poltergeist in his near-genius DAUGHTER'S room. Figuring out the message starts a chain of events leading to the remants of NASA and a program involving a wormhole near Saturn and the real meaning of Gravity.
Stay Tuned.

A very ambitious movie which nearly doesnt' make it. Nearly 'epic' in scope spanning millions of miles, and by implication, millions of years. Past as Future: Future as Past.

I'll give it 8.5 checks, lacking only a satisfactory, to me, expanation of a standard scifi / time travel / dimensional glitch.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3267
Even though NOBODY is apparently still looking at this thread, I'll cast my vote for ::
The Martian.
Now in theater release, it is at least 9 on the 10 point Ecoustics scale.

This is a 'must buy' as soon as available.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3300
Saw JOY. Wonderful Jennifer Lawrence movie. And based on the true story of the inventor of the 'Wonder Mop'.

An unexpected treat was THE BIG SHORT which goes into the financial meltdown of '08 and how a few traders saw it coming and tried to 'short' the market. and make a fortune. I think this is up for Best Picture.

Also saw THE REVENANT. Filmed on location in apparently awful conditions, this is a real brutal look at what it must have been like in the early 1800s as a trapper / mountain man. Also based on a true story, which has not only grown in the telling but has a different ending in reality than the movie version. This might be the next 'best picture'. DiCapario is certainly on the short list for a Best Actor award.

I've seen 4 of the Best Picture noms and think this is a good year. Don't sell BRIDGE OF SPIES short just yet.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25714
Even though it's been out on DVD for awhile I have to say Jurassic World was amazing in theaters. Gotta love those dino movies with big sound!

The Martian was excellent.

The Revenant was fantastic.

Yup I still dive in the $5 bins when I see a few gems. DVD collection well over 500 titles now. Booyaa.

Upload

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3360
Where 'ya BEEN, Paul? Hand healed and you can type again?

3 good choices, for sure. I won't 'spoil', but I LOVED the ending of Jurassic World.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25716
Been busy raising teenagers. My boy is 16 and has the appetite of a small nation. My daughter is 14 and has "sprouted" so I've been on high alert.

This may be a dangerous recommendation but oddly very addicting to watch. White House Down. Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum work well together. Saw it about 7 times before I realized there was a clone, Olympus Has Fallen. You remember when Armageddon and Deep Impact came out at the same time. Seems the studious like to employ their spies.

I've also been fond of Oblivion. I'm not much of a Tom Cruise fan since his dive into Scientology but it's easy to watch.

Of course there's always the Avenger series and all its' spinoffs. Daughter loves the Divergent series as well as The Purge series. Recent additions.

Wow have I really been on E for 10 years??!!!

Tell me, is that circus still in town over in the sat forum?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3362
Good Job. Raising kids these days CAN'T be easy.

Enjoy the movies!

If you want something 'serious' to view? Check out Trumbo. a true story of a BlackListed Hollywood Writer and how he survived the McCarthy Era. Terrific cast, good storytelling and will leave you shaking your head about how something this absurd could have actually happened.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3434
On YOUR must-see list?

Passangers:

Jennifer Lawrence / Chris Pratt

They are on a LONG 'sleeper' space flight as colonists. A malfunction occurs and HE wakes up, later wants company and wakes Lawrence. Visually stunning with top notch Special Effects. And skipping the scientific flaws, the scriptwriters do justice to one of the 'proposed' methods of traveling between stars.

This is a 9 of 10 and on the Blue Ray Purchase list.

Username: Rebeccaair

Boston, Massachusetts 美国

Post Number: 1
I like her movie of The devil wears prada,all her styles including hair and clothes. By the way, her hairstyles in the movie with the vintage feeling are perfect for older women. It should be a classic hairstyles for women! As the inspiration of Meryl Streep, the article of Fabulous hairstyles for women here is helpful for take one for my grandma!
https://www.rebeccafashion.com/blog/Fabulous-hairstyles-for-older-women/

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3478
I recently saw one of the Academy Award Contenders.

'The Shape Of Water' is directed by Benicio Del Toro, no stranger to really good movies.

And he doesn't disappoint.

Only ONE hangup in this whole ball of wax. It is REALLY a Sequel to the 1954s 'Creature From The Black Lagoon'. The new movie is set about 10 years later, and they ADMIT to having found the beast in the Amazon. What more do I need to say?

Following in King Kongs paw prints with the tried and true formula of Monster Meets Girl followed by Monster Loves Girl.....and return.....I don't see any really new ground being broken here....or Water, for that matter. Though plugging up the door / drains in the bathroom to turn it into an Aquatic Bordello is pretty fun, not to mention what was surely a Building-Destroying FLOOD as the door was opened, was terrific fun. Can you spell 'Mildew Remediation'?
Throw in a couple Military Types and an Evil Enforcer and you have all the pat makings of countless other genre thrillers. But quite well done.

I don't see anyone mentioning what I have noted. And am curious as to why not? It is painfully obvious and has 'sequel' stamped in bold letters across the theater posters.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3479
So Sorry!
Guilermo......NOT Benicio! And that's no bull.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us