How loud was that scream!

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1375
All films are played at THX reference level 0db.

Females screaming in db A weighting

1# Alien Scope1979 six-track Dolby Stereo with monaural surround

"Alien" however was just a bit relaxing, with screams coming in at a lower level with a peak of 87db A weighting, when Ripley turns ever so slightly and that drooling thing that's sanding right next to her in the shuttle craft was scary.

1# Aliens W/S 1986 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds

"Aliens" this time theirs more screaming, I have to say "Carrie Henn" who plays "Newt" really stole the show with screaming act, in this one, darn was her screaming just spot on or what, with peaks at around 90db A weighting, just --db less than that poor girl in "Jaws."

2# Alien 3 Scope 1992 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds
3# Alien Resurrection Scope1997 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds
2# Cat People W/S 1982 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
3# Jagged Edge W/S 1985 Dolby Stereo 2.0
4# Terminator 3 Raise of the Machines Scope 2002 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
5# Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Scope 1984 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds
6# Halloween Scope 1978 Dolby Digital surround 5.1

7# Jaws Scope 1975-2000 Dolby Digital surround 5.1

Well after testing a few films, I knew "JAWS" was just going too loud on the screaming side after just watching it last month, WOW that opening scene where the girl "Chrissy" that goes for a quick dip, and lurking below her is a some razor sharp teeth, with the John Williams score heightening the scene, with what is below! With a jolting tug of her leg, we soon know it's a shark, a real nasty one, or what, with peaks of the girl's scream reaching to 94db A weighting, that was just too much, but that's how it would be in real life!

Upload

8# Spices Scope1995 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds
9# Spices II W/S 1998 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds
4# Psycho W/S 1962 Dolby Digital Monaural 1.0
5# Psycho II W/S 1982 six-track Dolby Stereo with monaural surround 5.1
6# Psycho III W/S 1986 six-track Dolby Stereo with monaural surround 5.1
7# Psycho 98 W/S 1998 six-track Dolby Stereo with monaural surround 5.1
10# Catwoman Scope 2004 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
11# Minority Report scope 2002 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1-EX
12# Clifhanger Scope 1992 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
13# Face/off Scope 1997 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
8# Vertigo W/S 1958-1995 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
9# Predator W/S 1987 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
10# Predator II W/S 1990 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
11# Jurassic Park W/S 1993 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
14# Timecop Scope 1994 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
15# Casualties of War Scope 1989 six-track Dolby Stereo with monaural surround
16# The Hunting Scope 1999 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
12# House on Hunted Hill scope 2000 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1-EX
13# Gremlins W/S 1984 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
1# King Kong Academy 1933 Dolby Digital Monaural 1.0
17# King Kong Scope 1976 Dolby Digital surround 2.0

Males screaming in db A weighting

1# Alien Scope 1979 six-track Dolby Stereo with monaural surround 5.1
1# Aliens W/S 1986 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
2# Alien 3 Scope 1992 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
3# Alien Resurrection Scope 1997 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
4# Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Scope 1984 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
5# Dances with Wolves Scope 1990 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
6# Basic Instinct Scope 1992 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
2# Glory W/S 1989 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
3# Predator W/S 1987 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
4# Predator II W/S 1990 six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds 5.1
5# Jurassic Park W/S 1993 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
6# The Lost World: Jurassic Park W/S 1997 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1
7# House on Hunted Hill W/S 2000 Dolby Digital with split-surrounds 5.1

7# Jaws Scope 1975-2000 Dolby Digital surround 5.1

Thou there are a few males screaming in "Jaws" with that mush in the boat, and Bruce just pops on over for a quick bite, the leg, bit was just a bit over the top, how this film received a 12 certificate on region 2 DVD I don't kwon, perhaps a 15 would have been more suitable.

Anyway that poor geza was screaming for his life at just 88db A weighting, not as much as that girl then, guess the shark wasn't interested in him then!

With poor ole "Quint" fighting for his life and with real, JBL "Jaws Bites Low" effect, as those teeth snap right thou his rip cage, man could I feel or what with JBL, and that high pitched screaming, with a high peaks of just 88db A weighting, I'm sure glad that films over, man I lost my appetite for that afternoon sandwich.

Upload

So if you where to look at the above db figures, where I have briefly talked about the SPL db levels, and if I where to play the film again, I would set "JAWS" to -9db, which will bring those high screaming peaks around 85dbA weighting, which is where it should be, but theirs also an art to this, thou the rest of the film may sound loud, with average dialogue level, peaking slightly over 75dbA weighting, the sound effects remain tamer than "Lord of the Rings."

I hope some of you will approach this thread with a more mature mind, instead of the silly comments.

Thou some of you hear can use this in your own home cinemas, as a testing, of just how realistic was that scream, maybe I should have titled this thread "How Realistic Was that Scream" oh well I was pressed for time the other night, that was when I was around my friends, and just one film started this of that was called "The Juror" with "Demi Moore" and "Alec Baldwin" darn good film and the re-recording mixers "Greg P. Russell" and "Kevin O'Connell", thou I was only hearing this in NICAM, which sound like the NICAM was tuned OFF, it didn't bother me at all, since my friend as a home cinema with the same THX AVR as I do, the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX Select.

So I wondering how many of you have your own SPL db meter, and would you be interested at all in conducting a similar test, more like what I'm doing?

I must say in writing this, it as completely exhausted me! really it has I haven't got the strength like I had last year due to slow reclining of my health so I'll get the rest of it hear posted so, as you can theirs a fair few more to go.

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 875
damn i want to be the first one to say it you have way to much time on your hands but awesome stuff nice and informing enjoy reading it

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Post Number: 564
lol what charlie said i only read the top half then i dint feel like reading the rest.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6108
ditto

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6638
same here ......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums