Strange smell yesterday, no sound today

Username: Addiicts

Post Number: 1
So my amp and subs are years old, I got them from my brother. I've had it in my car and working for ~2-3 years now. I have never had any problems, I know my brother stated sometimes the amp would shutoff when it is really hot outside.

I have an Audiobahn A8000T amp and 2 12" JL audio W3's (Yes, thats all I know about the subs lol, I apologize for not having more information on them.) They are in my trunk, the amp is mounted on the back of the sub box.

Yesterday I was driving home and all of a sudden smelled something very strange, I pulled over, popped the trunk and noticed something in the air (maybe a very light smoke?) and determined the smell was indeed coming from the trunk. So I decided to turned off the radio and drove home. Fast-forward to today, I took my phone and used it to look over the amp to see if I could notice anything different (Yes I had to do it this way, had surgery a little while ago on my shoulder and I didnt feel comfortable trying and nobody to assist me - a friend is coming by this weekend to assist me if I still need it.) I didn't see anything that stuck out to me, although I don't know much about this type of stuff but I looked for obvious burns/melts etc. I turned on my car and tried to play a song to see if they still worked - no output from the subs, looked at the amp and the protection light is on.

Thats where I'm at now, the strange smell/light smoke from my trunk yesterday and then today there is no output from the subs and the amp is in protection mode. Does anyone have any suggestions or guidance on what is wrong/what to check? Thanks in advance.

Username: Juan_xtc_steenkamp

Johannesburg, Gautwng South Africa

Post Number: 4
Hallo there.

Sounds like you might have a speaker or sub that is on retirement (Damaged).With the result of taking out a output transistor or two. Causing a short in the system. And Taking out one or some Power Transistors in the process. Never a good idea to mount Amp on Sub box. Vibration from sub box and having parts inside amp heating up is not a good combination. You will have a handfull of dry joint on solder points holding and connecting part on Amplifier circuit bord. May even find that your speakers are 100%. And that your amp took itself out. Dry joint create even more Heat buildup. Making and breaking connection while playing at high volume. Check and measure all transistors inside amp to begin with. Will find something thats FRIED. Food luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us