Service's for the DIY'ers

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 531
I been giving this some thought for some time given that more and more folks are taking to building their on sub boxes.

I'm thinking along the lines of folks that don't have access to services as to cutting parts for enclosure's, but only to folks local and somewhat local that want to make the drive.

Other services or usage possible, but I have to take into consideration " Liability Issues " and of course the matter of charging for such service's.

The floor is open.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1993
what about cutting the pieces out and shipping the box unassembled for people that want to save money or build it themselves but dont have a table saw. I bet that would be nice. charge for the sheet and $2 a cut or something and then shipping.

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1440
I don't know where your based, but I like Andrews idea. None of my friends have a table saw.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13390
Might be cheaper shipping seeing as the weight would be about the same but the size would be more compact. You really couldn't call it your box anymore at that point I would think tho. You would have no control over proper gluing, clamping, screwing, ect.....

Not to mention without completely assembling a box you never know what may need trimmed or custom fitted. It's never an exact science. Good idea though....

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1441
Paul raises an excellent point.

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1995
yeah, for your sake I would make sure no one told other people that you made it. I would defiantly buy that if I didn't have a table saw.

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
Nope, Been there, done that with shipping enclosure's pre-cut part sizes, nothing but a frigg!n hassle because everyone has there own idea's as to what they would use to glue the parts together, not to mention how they want to put it together.

Plus, if they don't have the proper tools to assemble all the parts in the manner they are to be assembled it just a bigger headache.

I'm talking about something along the lines of pre-cutting mdf parts just like if you had Home Depot or Lowes do it, but with greater accuracy and local/some what local folks pick them up and take them to where ever and build it themselves.

They want the speaker mounts cut, no problem.

They want bracing, no problem.

But, I am not going to bear any responsibility because the person doesn't or cannot follow direction as to put it all together or what methods they employ to put it together.

If they want to build it in my shop because I have all the toys (tools), that's a different matter that I would be agreeable to under terms and conditions... MY SHOP, MY RULES, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 573
not a bad idea phil, if i was closer, id make the drive

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2007
I would just be careful who I let in the shop. Saws, routers etc. can fug somneone up and I might could see you getting in trouble for it somehow. Not that anyone on this forum I think would do it but some people are stupid enough to get hurt on purpose, so they can sue.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

WEST COAST RD AUDIO

Post Number: 18054
but phil you wouldn't sell pre cut boards to me? lol. it would be alot cheaper for the shipping and not to mention the price would be more affordable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 533
Chad,

It wouldn't of been cheaper given what the shipping weight would of been of all the mdf parts.

Besides, would you have been able to put that port together for the first box I built you, not to mention install in inside the enclosure.

OK, if folks wanted me to cut and ship them the parts of a enclosure, then, it will be well understood that I bear no responsibility what so ever if it is no assembled in the manner I say it should be done or the materials to be used in the manner is should done it the individual does not have the proper tools/skills to do so.

I'll cut the parts in the manner they want them cut per their definition of method of assembly, but, I am not going to provide any help beyond that because they do not understand this or that.

I'll provide the cut list/part list, Design detail of the enclosure and assembly plan and that is all.

The individual will be responsible for any and all glue, screws, hardware, tools and what not.

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 462
not a bad idea what would u charge for that

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
Andrew,

I knew you were going bring that point up, got it covered.

Like I said, If they want to build it in my shop because I have all the toys (tools), that's a different matter that I would be agreeable to under terms and conditions... MY SHOP, MY RULES, NO EXCEPTIONS.

They would have to sign a Waiver Agreement Form. they don't want to sign it, they don't handle, touch or set of foot in the shop. If they want to come into the shop, same deal, Sign the Waiver Agreement Form.

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
Justin,

That's depends on the number of parts, the size of the parts and the design of the enclosure in the manner which the person wants to be able to assemble the parts.

But it would break out like this:

Cost Of Materials - MDF - 3/4" unless other material specified )
Cost Of Cutting Material
Cost Of Cutting Additional Items to which would be specified as part of the enclosure design details.
If I do the designing, then the customer pays for the design, plans and assembly directions.
Shipping, Packaging, Handling Costs

If the customer provides the design and details, the only charge would be for the parts assembly plans unless the customer says none are required.

All the parts would be cut accordingly to the parts/cut list as approved by the customer.

Of course, there's the part where I state ( cover my azz ) that in no uncertain terms am I response for any help or assistance with the customer's failure to understand the assembly the enclosure in manner as described per directions, design detail plan and method the parts attached due to their ability/skills and tools used to do so.

Put it this way, you buy a model kit, but you don't follow the assembly instructions as to the what you will need to assemble and it goes together like sh!t - is that the model makers fault the instructions were not followed???

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2195
im for the idea

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids like my rhyme...

Post Number: 4029
you oculd just sell designs for people to build themselves?

Platinum Member

WEST COAST RD AUDIO

Post Number: 18073
phil what i was getting at is i would tell you exactly what to cut the boards at. that is all.

now if it is a tricky style box, no way would i want to do that. but lets say i want to build a normal slot port box then the cuts would be cheaper.

Platinum Member

WEST COAST RD AUDIO

Post Number: 18074
so you are not liable for anything if the box came out like crap cause i would of given you the dimensions to cut.

when i get the pre cut boards and i measure it and find out its exactly what i wanted, then i would be a happy person regardless of how the box came out.

now andrew said $2 a cut. but i would pay more than that since it would be a precision cut.

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
Chad,

OK, Yes, if someone provided a cutlist, then yeah, the parts would be cut to those sizes and shipped to to the customer.

But, if some thinks their only going to be paying same as what HD charges per cut, forget it, there would be a minimal charge otherwise it wouldn't pay me given the other costs involved.

And with the price's now a days, one can only do so much to the point it's not worth it to do so.

I'm not stupid, I know everybody wants to save a buck hear and there, but I'm not going to do something if that means I make nothing from it.

Example: This enclosure is a for a Kicker CVX 12" 2.2 Nbv, Port - 1.75 x 13.5 x 27.25 @ 32hz
Cost $ 135.00 not including shipping
Same enclosure - Parts, Cutlist, Assembly Plans
$ 50.00 plus shipping, Optional - Carpet $ 15.00

Would you pay for it or would anyone else?
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
Reece,

Yes, I would be willing to do designs for a price.

For the design I just posted $ 10.00.

If the design involves more details and such, I wouldn't charge more than $ 30.00.

It all comes down to my time and what it's worth, granted, most designs are not that overly involved.

But the more complicated, intricately designed enclosures I could spend a few hours on and that's if I have the information I need at the time the request is made.

If I have to spend time hunting down information, making calls to get information, that's time spent before I do any designing.

I'm not a greedy pr!ck and I'm not going to mention what other folks charge for the same services.

I do designs all day long and don't make a dime hoping the potential customer that submitted the request likes the quote I give them.

And I know for fact that when I submit the back, there taking that quote & information and farming it around trying to get the cheapest price they can.

I don't got a problem with that because I'm selling more than a MDF Box, I'm selling the myself that put into every design and box I do.

People ohhh and ahhhh about what other box builders come up with and some with follow/imitate there work to get a what slice of the pie than can grap.

Me, sorry, I don't follow and I'm not going to ride on the coat tails of someone else success's.

I'm all about giving the customer the service they deserve with the understanding they understand that quality does cost alittle more ans they don't mind paying a few bucks more and if I lose, I lose but what I gain is what is worth it to me.

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18088
"But, if some thinks their only going to be paying same as what HD charges per cut, forget it, there would be a minimal charge otherwise it wouldn't pay me given the other costs involved."

phil give me some credit man. you really think i would expect you to charge how much home depot charges to cut? and yes i would like to save a buck here and there. if i recall i paid $355 for my last box from you. $250 for the box and $105 for shipping. so yea you can understand why i would want to save a buck here and there. the reason i am interested is you do precision work so i expect the cuts to be very precise. but it seems like its something you don't want to do. anyways sorry to waste your time man.

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18091
btw not saying you overcharged me at all. i totally understand the work you had to do on my port. just saying i don't want to spend that much money on a box.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13482
"And I know for fact that when I submit the back, there taking that quote & information and farming it around trying to get the cheapest price they can. "

I completely understand this statement. I'm a truss designer. I design trusses for residential and commercial construction. On any given Monday I'm handed a set of plans to bid the job on. I take the time to evaluate and digest the print. Then I input the building using the latest design software. The job gets designed and engineered and then submitted to the estimating department. There they take my work and price the job accordingly. Many variables here. Past work, future work, complexity of the job, all get factored into the markup. They arrive at a final delivered quote price.

We submit the paperwork to the customer. Within hours our designs are in our competitor's hands and they quickly knock off 20%. They get awarded the job. Why? Because they don't have to factor in the design costs, it's already been done. 2 days of our/my work out the window. It's the industry and it's business. My company will do it also. You have to. Kill or be killed.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5912
phil i think you should only do the unassembled cuts from plans that you make and charge for that. that way someone doesnt give you plans you cut and ship and they say oh that wasnt the plans or whatever.

also i wouldnt let anyone work in my shop be it hurting themselves, breaking my tools, or steeling sh;t.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13490
^^^Yup. A 250lb idiot leaning too hard on your $250 belt sander for even 2 minutes and you are azz out.

Waiver or not. It's a risk.

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 466
r u going to be doing this then im interested and need a box and i have no tools to cut with but putting together would be ok

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3394
I would def be interested in box plans. It takes too much time for me to figure out all the stuff I got to know for a one off box. And then those free box design things are ok, but again, I could spend an hour just messing with the design. and then not be sure of its accuarace.. Nice Idea. When the time comes, I will hit you up, and see.

Silver Member

Post Number: 540
Chad,

Why are you getting so bent out of shape man!!!! I'm trying to explain myself and your taking it like I'm dumping on you. WTF man, a person can't say sh!t without someone getting all hurt feelings and sh!t.

I didn't say I didn't want to do it, otherwise, I wouldn't of said it in the first place. I was merely trying to point out the issue's with doing as such and the sh!t I've been through in the past.

I'm all for doing it, but, I am not going to go thru the same sh!t again because someone can't or doesn't know what there doing or how to do it or they screw it up and come back barking at me.

Next, I was providing an example of what the enclosure would cost built and shipped vs cost of parts cut and shipped ans whether or not you or someone else would pay for it ---- that's all.

Let's nip this in the azz right now. You know what I'm saying, I know what your saying and everyone knows what it is and what it ain't.

Everyone wants to save a buck and I want to make a buck and as long as were fair with each other and reasonable about it, there shouldn't be any problems. What do ya say???

Paul,

Yeah, Ain't that the truth!!!

Also, I pretty much decided on sh!t canning the shop/ waiver idea. Did some research on that and even with a waiver, certain aspects of it can still be gotten around them.... so, the he!! with that.

Matt,

I get what your saying and in part that's what I would do or if someone submits a cutlist of parts and I ship them and they come back at me and say this or that, there ain't going to be a problem because I save EVERY E-MAIL and I'll just throw it right back in their face.

I've had problems like that before, the customer will bring this or that up about something and I'll find the e-mail that they send and that pretty much solves that problem.

I look at it this way, the moment a customer's orders/makes payment, they are effectively agreeing to and approving the work to be done in accordance to all the submitted plans, details and specifications within that e-mail.

Justin,

Shoot me an e-mail or use the form on my site about the enclosure.

Marc,

Plans will cost between $ 10.00 to $ 30.00.

I may charge NOTHING depending on the design of the enclosure, but at my discretion.

And just so everyone knows - I DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL or ANY OTHER FORM OF ONLINE PAYEMENT.

I accept credit cards/debit cards: Visa, Master Card, Discover Card and American Express.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us