99 Honda Accord

Username: Cutthrote

Post Number: 5
My friend has a 1999 Honda Accord EX. It has the factory cassette and cd player in it now (seperate dins), but the cd player is no longer working. She was wondering if she could just replace the cd player with an aftermarket receiver and leave the factory cassette player in, yet still be functional. What would it take to make the factory cassette player and aftermarket receiver work in conjuction with one another. I know she could just buy a double din receiver but that would be more money and virtually pointless to have two cassette players, since she barely uses one. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1418
"I know she could just buy a double din receiver but that would be more money and virtually pointless to have two cassette players"

A double-din would replace both factory units, most double-din have a CD player in addition to a cassette player.

"She was wondering if she could just replace the cd player with an aftermarket receiver and leave the factory cassette player in, yet still be functional. What would it take to make the factory cassette player and aftermarket receiver work in conjuction with one another"

You could possibly get it to work, but it wouldn't look very nice, especially for a 99 Accord. The two units would have no control with each other and you would have to hook up a multitude of switches(which would have to be switched every time you switched decks) for the speakers to function properly.

Ultimately she has two options: 1)Buy a double din headunit or 2)Buy a single-din headunit and buy an install kit so that it would replace both units. I would suggest the second option because, as you have said, double-din units are pricey and you really won't miss the cassette player as much as you think you will.

Post Number: 6
Appreciate the response. I think option 2 is the best idea thus far, but if i did replace the factory cd player with a aftermarker cd receiver, what could i do with the factory cassette player since it would not be hooked up. Im not sure if u have seen the stereo console of this accord but the cassette player is seperate from the cd player (towards the bottom near the shifter). I know just leaving the facotry cassette player in its place (not hooked up) would be the easiest way, but I would would hate to perpetrate and just wanted to know all the options.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1435
Ah, the install kit would fill the space of the cassette player. That's assuming both units are touching each other.

If the cassette is seperated from the CD player, you could still replace the cassette player with an aftermarket headnit and just fill in the space of the CD player with something. Who knows, they might even offer a plastic storage pocket for the gap.

Post Number: 7
No, the factory cassette and cd players are not touching each other, but I see what u are saying. Hopefully I can find something to do with the space otherwise I will just have to "fake the funk" with a cassette player that really isnt even hooked up. Oh well

Gold Member

Post Number: 1440
" I will just have to "fake the funk" with a cassette player that really isnt even hooked up. Oh well"

I thought you were replacing the cassette player with an aftermarket headunit leaving the OEM CD player as the disabled unit...

Post Number: 8
No, the cd player is not working, so i was going to use that din to replace it with an aftermarket cd receiver, but there would still be the factory cassette player that it seperated from the factory cd unit...hence to my original question as to rather i could have functionality out of both aftermarket and factory unit. Thats why i said i might just disconnect it, but still leave it in its place, unless i can find some kind of kit to turn it into a compartment of some kind.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us