HDMI switch/splitter question

Username: Dandallon

Post Number: 3
I want to 'fool-proof' my theater for my wife/kids to use. I have 4 HDMI devices (DVR, bluray, xbox, and apple TV) and a ceiling mounted projector with a 7.1 Onkyo receiver with 2 HDMI in/1 out. I want to be able to switch automatically between the 4 devices and ALWAYS send output to the projector AND the receiver simultaneously. As far as I can tell, a automatic 4x1 HDMI switch whose HDMI output then goes to a 1x2 HDMI splitter (output 1 to projector and output 2 to receiver) should work. That way, when my wife/kids turn on a device (xbox, bluray, etc), the switch automatically senses and selects the correct input, and they don't have to worry about selecting outputs or messing with the receiver because the outputs should always be the same. Will this work? A monoprice tech guy said you can't string a switch and a splitter in line, but if they're all 3D capable and HDCP compliant, I think it should work. Tell me if I'm wrong and why.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15925
Basically you want to gather all your media devices HDMI output and bundle them all together into one great HDMI cable and then have that single cable split into 2 outputs to go into a receiver and a projector. The idea being...no matter which device they use, all they need to do is turn on the reciever and the projector and...voila...you can hear and see the media you want. Is this correct?

Great concept...but, think about this...what happens if all the devices are turned on? What filtering device would you have to filter out all the incoming signals? Imagine all the media content going into your receiver all at once...unfiltered. What do you think you'll see and or hear?

Unless this cable/device you are fantasizing about has some sort of user-mind reading capability as to which device your wife/kids want to use...then no.

It is better to re-label the buttons on the receiver, so they would know which ones to push in relation to the device they want to use.

There is also a Video/Audio mixer, same concept you are thinking about, but it is actually an electronic device that outputs to one or multiple amplifiers and a video device. You use sliders/knobs to adjust which audio/video content from multiple devices are going to be seen and heard.

Your basic problem is how to tell your magical device which signal needs to be seen or heard if they are all turned on at the same time.

One thing I've learned about fool proof devices would be, that there is always a better fool.

There it is...you are wrong and I've stated as to why

Username: Dandallon

Post Number: 4
While I am still waiting for many different magical devices, I am not expecting one in this instance. I have read much about HDMI switches that automatically switch to an input when it receives a new signal, and will switch to a different input if it senses a signal from it. So no, it will not have signals from all 4 devices.
And no, I'm not a moron... I just want to know if a HDMI switch and a HDMI splitter can be used together.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15952
Therein lies the great conundrum "if it senses a signal"...doesn't it? Again, the basic premise is the presence of the signal...how do you prevent a signal from the wrong device from sending inadvertently?

And yes, a switch will work with a splitter. It negates the need for switching devices within the receiver (which works as its own switch with confusing labelling).

And, I stated you were wrong...not a moron.

Username: Jeffsu

Norcross, Ga Usa

Post Number: 10
Hi Dandallon,
to answer one of your original quesitons:
"I just want to know if a HDMI switch and a HDMI splitter can be used together."

Yes you can- you can use a HDMI matrix, which combines switching and splitting.https://octavainc.com/HDMI%20matrix%20switch%204x2%20port.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us