High Current vs Wattage

Username: Dougn

Post Number: 1
Hello forum,

This is my first post here in this forum and I am looking for some advice.

I have just purchased a pair of PolkAudio RTI10 that has the power capability of 300 Watts.

I am reviewing two Yamaha receivers and hoping to order one soon. I think the Yamaha RXV571 ($50 more) would be a better choice betweent the two to drive the speakers but I just not sure if it is worth it to give up the High Current featuer to gain more power.

Could someone please advise.

Yamaha HTR6063
630-Watt 7.1 Channel
Power Per Channel - Stereo (RMS) 90 W
Power Per Channel - Surround (RMS)90 W
High Current - Yes

Yamaha RXV571
735-Watt 7.1 Channel
Power Per Channel - Stereo (RMS) 105 W
Power Per Channel - Surround (RMS) 105 W
Power Per Channel - Stereo (Peak Power) 105 W
Power Per Channel - Surround (Peak Power) 105 W
Power Per Channel - Stereo 105 W
Power Per Channel - Surround 105 W
High Current No

Many thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16472
Welcome to eCoustics Doug!

With the Polk I recommend a Onkyo TX-NR709 with much more current than those Yamaha receiver's, pricey but you will like the result!

http://www.onkyo.ca/model.cfm?m=TX-NR709&class=Receiver&p=i

Post Number: 2
Thanks you for your reply. It does seem to be a nice receiver but it is not available in FS or Best Buy. The one higher model TX-NR809 is great and pricy.
I am think of getting the Denon AVR-891 for the RTI10 speakers but this receiver is not cabable to output 4 ohms whereas the RTI10 is believed to be a 4 ohms speaker.
Any comments base on this set up?

Many thanks

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16521
Hi Doug

There is not much Home Theater capable to run easily under 4 ohms for a low cost!

The TX-NR809 can do the job for the price you paid, listed for 6 ohms and >high current power< but we know that it is not the stereo amp which cost 3000$, this is a good start for now with the price you want then you can wait and buy better later!

This is less important for a home theater that a high end system!

Post Number: 3
Hi Plymouth,

I am currently testing the Yamaha HTR6063 (4 ohm capable) with RTI10 and found that it's hard to hear the bass.
I have ordered the Denon AVR-891 and I should be able to test it on Monday. If it doesn't work well with the RTI10 then I would take a look at they TX-NR809. I am a bit hesitate on this one as it's priced at $1299 CND whereas the Denon AVR-891 listed for $599 CND.

Thanks again for your great advice.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16524
I've founded the TX-NR809 for 799$ on many reseller:

http://qc.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu8GDWSJODBUAlAjTGAx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDc yMjAwMwRfcgMyBGFvAzAEZnIDeWZwLXQtNzE2BGhvc3RwdmlkA0ouZ2hLa29HNzFRNzVTUUhUaUpSU1F CZDJJbDhwVTRpV1lNQUNnSlkEbl9ncHMDMARuX3ZwcwMwBG9yaWdpbgNzcnAEcXVlcnkDT25reW8gVFg tTlI4MDkgNzk5BHNhbwMxBHZ0ZXN0aWQD?p=Onkyo+TX-NR809+799&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-716&r d=r1

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16525
If the bass is a problem I suggest you to buy one or two sub from Precision Acoustics made in Canada then use the low filter around 125 hz on the Home theater then the 4 ohms will not be a problem!

http://precision-acoustics.com/hds10.html

Post Number: 4
Hi Plymouth,

The links you provided must be cached so the current list price is higher.

The review for the Precision Acoustics HD S10 is fantastic and it's afforable. I will definitely try it out. Thanks for your great suggestions.

BTW, how bad the sound quality would be if you use the 4 ohms speakers with the receiver that does not have the capable of producing 4 ohms output?

Thanks

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16526
Good morning Doug!

There is none problem to use the 4 ohms speakers as I said if you use the low filter around 125 hertz then you use a subwoofer, the bass is the most difficult to drive for the amplifier.

The HD S10 match very well with the Polk Audio speakers!

I have 4 HD4 on a Yamaha then the sound is impressive for the price, I have 2 x 8" cheap modified sub's but I think of buying one or two HD S10 and a center speaker HDC to complete the system.

This is not my main audio system which cost 10 times this price but this is very impressive for the cost!

Post Number: 5
Thanks so much for your inputs and suggestions for which I can use to potentially build a great system but within the budget.

I am sure other members in eCoustics found that they are very lucky to have you as a member just as I do.

Thanks again.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16528
Doug

You are welcome!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?