Bose Lifestyle Problem

Username: Daniscp

Post Number: 2
I i'm new around here and would appreciate if anyone could help me. I have a problem with my system. When I use the system in the "AUX" mode the sound is perfect but when I change it to "TV" mode it's much lower and I need to have it on max volume in order to hear anything at all. This happened this week so I would appreciate if anyone could help me. Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Adessmith

Post Number: 18
Hmm... Is the line out from the television "fixed" or "variable"? In case your not familiar with these terms, fixed outputs are indepenent of the volume setting on your tv.. and variable is effected by the volume setting your TV. Sounds like you are on variable and maybe someone accidently used the wrong remote (or wrong mode on your remote) the turn the volume down. If they turned the TV volume down instead of the receiver volume, you arent getting a hot enough signal to the receiver and you cant get it loud enough.... try to turn the volume on the tv itself up a bit and see if that helps (not too loud though, cause it will overdrive the input of your receiver and cause distortion)
If that is the case you may want to check to see if your tv has connections for fixed audio output, or a setting in the menu to change the output from variable mode to fixed mode. That way it wont happen again.

You see what I mean?

By the way, you arent supposed to post the same question on more than one board....

Username: Portoj

Post Number: 1
I have had a problem develop recently with my Lifestyle 38 (well, I've had several problems, but I can't solve this one). When I'm watching TV and the Lifestyle unit is broadcasting in PCM 2.0 mode, my rear surround speakers have a distorted sound on some channels, and no sound on others. The front speakers and bass module sound fine. The distortion in the rear surrounds is not present when the Lifestyle unit is playing back digital media such as DVD's, CD's and digital cable channels. I've checked all my speaker connections and everything seems as it is supposed to be. I've also gone through all the settings on the Lifestyle system to no avail. I even ran that stupid setup DVD that comes with the system, and the sound comes out just fine - no distortion anywhere. Any suggestions (besides buying something that actually works the way it's supposed to?)

Username: Jcpoint

Ireland

i have a bose lifestyle 30 system and my question is.....when you buy quality hi-fi seperates the dealer will always tell you to throw away the leads supplied with it and upgrade to a quality phono lead which always does make a massive difference......but the bose is supplied with these flimsy little leads and there is never a mention on upgrading them!! any answers/thoughts??!

Username: Mogie

Racine, Wi

I need some help setting up my home stero system.
I have a JVC-XVC26U DVD player, Scientific Atlanta cable box and I want to plug it all into a RX-V657 Yamaha receiver then from there into a Toshiba DLP.
I want to use the receiver to control it all.
Can anyone send me a list of the right cables needed and where each one goes?
Thank you

Username: Baritone

My Bose lifestyle 38 will not switch-off completely and the "Saving your music information" continues to flash until the system is used again, even days later. Start-up appears slow also with "Please wait - starting up" as a flashing message. Bose provided software update disc which hasn't helped. On the phone they said power down and check cables and connectors but no change. Any ideas?

Username: Portoj

Here we go again with more Lifestyle 38 problems . We are now unable to watch DVDs or listen to CDs without significant skips and pauses. I've used one of those DVD/CD lens cleaning kits with no noticeable improvement. I have a feeling that this will end up with having to box everything up and sending it to Bose so they can replace the DVD player (presumably with a rebuilt version of the same cheap piece of junk that's already in the unit) for a hefty charge. You almost have to laugh when a cheap (less than $40) DVD player plays my DVDs flawlessly and my $2000 system can't get past the first few minutes without sputtering and dying. Maybe I just got the one poorly built system, but I can tell you I won't be buying any others from Bose. Either way, does anyone have a quick fix to this problem?

Username: Mzile

Sydney, NSW Australia

Hi,

My Lifestyle 5 plays CDs very clearly without any distortion but when I connect my tv or mp3 player to any of the inputs (eg. Aux or Tape etc.) the clarity is not the same; instead, a slight hiss can be heard. Does anyone know whether this is a common problem which can be easily fixed? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 888
Greetings Mario,
First thing to try is to disconnect your TV and/or MP3 from the unit and listen to see if the noise can still be heard. If not then I would hope like mad that you are using really cheap wires and that better ones would solve the problem.

Username: Mzile

Sydney, NSW Australia

Thanks for the info Jim. Initially I too thought it might be cheap RCA wires but I replaced these with very expensive ones and the problem did not go away. I haven't tried listening without an external component connected but will do this and let you know how I go. Failing this, is there anything else you think the problem may be related to, eg. faulty capacitors etc.?

The other option I am considering is purchasing a replacement head unit on eBay. I have seen a Bose Lifestyle Model 20 but not sure whether this will work with my Bose LS5 amp and speakers. Do you know? Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 890
If the noise occurs when the components are disconnected then you can safely say that the problem is downstream somewhere and may be internal to the unit and may then need replacement or repair. Further trouble shooting can be done by determining if the noise comes from all of the speakers and if so then you can blame the unit, If the noise comes from just one speaker, however unlikely that might be, since you do not hear this while playing CD's, then maybe a speaker could be to blame but...

I was hoping though that the noise might have been caused by a poor ground or bad shield which would be easy to fix but you have already thought of that.

I am not a huge Bose fan and I would personally steer you away from replacing one head unit model for another but the information you need regarding the compatibility will likely be found on the Bose web site. The site might also have some clues as to your noise problem but I know they are a bit overanxious in getting you to send them any damaged pieces.

Username: Bummed_out

Recently bought a TV and Lifestyle 48 system. Worked great for a few days after pro installation then the TV would "hear" but not show anything. Pros came out and said we needed to replace the input panel. Got a new one from Bose. Same issue about a week later. Oh, and frequently we need to wait at least 1- 5 minutes before we can turn channels. Tends to happen right before we can no longer "see" what's on the TV screen. any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 133
Hi there..
can I be blunt?
any way you can return the bose system ?
how long have you owned them?
price?
these two would smoke bose.
small spk'rs

http://www.canadahifi.com/review74.php
http://www.brandtoyz.com/p-162661-tannoy-hts-100.aspx
with this reciever

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR1910-7-1-Channel-Multi-Zone-Connectivity/dp/B002AKKFPI

or small canton 5.1 with marantz nr 1501 reciever..or these small orbaudio speakers on this page with this marantz and the oppo bluray player also on this page would be an incredible improvement in everything.

You'll soon forget about bose....
those are my thoughts.

peace
theaudioguy.ca

or

Username: Royaldelux

Hi Guys

I got a volume problem on my lifestyle unit. The volume is set very low and i cant change it at all even if the main unit shows when i crank it up or down the volume whats wrong? Did i push a button or something cant figure this out please help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us