Sat Tv/HDD Recorder/Amp/TV Setup help please....

Username: Jagnz

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys,
I have this:
http://www.digitdirect.co.nz/shop/product.php?productid=15&cat=2&page=1
Satellite Freeview (New Zealand) Receiver, I also have a Panasonic DMR-EH67 HDD/DVD Recorder and my A/V Amp is an Onkyo TX-SR608:
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/av_components/av_receivers/tx-sr608/index.htm l
I want to route the output of my Sat receiver through the HDD Recorder so I can record from it but I also want it to 'pass through' the signal straight through to the TV when I am not recording.

I currently have the HDD Recorder connected to the Amp via HDMI and when I play DVD's on it it works perfectly. But I plugged the Sat (out) into the HDD recorder (in) via component cables and the unit does not pass the video through to the TV via HDMI which is what I want!

I route ALL video from my Amp out via HDMI to my TV, which is a Samsung 50" Full HD Plasma.

So, any clever ideas how to do what I want by chance?

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 223
hi jason its in the setup menu of onkyo
did you try?
I've installed onkyo before so I'm sure you have to assign cable box component.video.etc..
under input setup.
for e.g
input of hdvr to input 2 on onkyo component in
not hdmi which I'm sure it defaults to.

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 2
I don't think it's that because when I play a DVD on the HDD/DVD Recorder it plays through the amp to the TV just fine. It is only trying to get the Sat signal to the TV via the recorder that does not seem to be working. I am sure there is a very simple way to do what I want, I just don't know what it is. LOL. =)

I went through every single setup menu on the recorder and there is no where that you set the output select that I can see.

Post Number: 3
BTW - if I connect the component out on the Sat receiver direct into the Amp then of course it plays out to the TV (via HDMI) just fine. It is when introducing the hdd recorder into the loop that stuffs things up. LOL.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 226
Jason
anyway you can connect pvr directly to tv?
for video only

Post Number: 4
Of course but then the audio does not go through the amp/speaker system! I don't want the sound to only come out of the TV...this why I want the Sat signal to go through the Amp before hitting the TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 63
Jason,
Have you tried looking in the HDD menu to select (set the unit) a source? I have a quirky DVD recorder that is very similar in that everytime it powers on I have to tell it what source to use for the signal..

On my DVD recorder my remote has a button labeled source and as I cycle through the options I have choices for Vid1, Vid2, Svid, Component and or tuner.

Sometimes these components are so smart they're dumb!!

Post Number: 5
Yes, I agree! =) I can set the source but it only gives me the option of HDD/DVD/SD Card, not video passthrough. I am very sure this would take 2 minutes for someone skilled to figure out but it has been a long time since I have had to set up a complex AV System and all this gear is new to me. I'll feel good once I get it figured out! Haha.

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 64
Hmmm, that sounds like the playback source... how about the record from source menu if there is such?

I have not been able to pull up the specs on this unit from the panasonic site as of yet.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 227
no I meant only video to tv not audio

the recorder must have digital out.,,to reciever
thats how I do it ,,
its not like it's lossless audio in cable boxes like bluray.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us