Digital Optical Audio lag

Username: Firebry

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new 58" Samsung Plasma HDTV and Sony home theater in a box DVD/surround sound. I Already had a PS3, Wii, and have HD cable through AT&T U-Verse. My surround sound system only had one HDMI input so the sales guy suggested digital optical audio to hook everything up. My goal was to hook up my U-Verse cable, PS3, and Wii to the surround sound system. The guy told me the best way to do this would be to hook the surround sound digital optical up to the TV digital optical and then anything playing audio out on the TV would go to the surround sound. This is a big plus for when I use my PS3 for bluray! Problem is when I watch TV - standard or HD - there is a lag in the audio, usually it is only about a 1/2 second or so, but it is noticeable to the point I cannot use the TV audio and surround sound audio at the same time. I usually turn the TV audio down to 0 and use the TV/video feature for surround sound audio. Today I noticed on a show playback from DVR that the audio was way off, like 2 or 3 seconds. To the point I couldn't watch it and listen to the surround audio. Not using the surround sound audio sucks, the TV audio is horrible in comparison. Usually the surround sound audio doesn't actually give me true surround sound. I have it set for prologic, so I don't get the full dolby surround on most programs, but the bass and speakers are 100% better than the standard TV audio.
Question to you is why? Is there usually a lag like that when the audio is going out from the Uverse box to the TV by HDMI then out from TV digital optical audio into the surround sound? I thought about going straight from the Uverse optical to surround sound and skipping the TV, but then I wouldn't get the great full sound on the PS3 games and Wii, let alone the true surround sound when I use ps3 for bluray! I could hook up the PS3 using A/V cables to the surround sound, but that will not give me true surround sound especially for bluray audio! Anybody have any ideas? Thanks so much!!!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1241
Greetings,

The quick fix is to shut off the TV's speakers but...

Is there any way to return the Sony??? It really would be best to get at least a receiver of some sort (budget determined of course).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us