Subwoofer not compatible with receiver

Username: Shawnshank

Post Number: 1
We recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V465 receiver to use as the hub of our surround sound system but when I went to hook up my surround sound speakers, I noticed that the subwoofer has 2 sets of speaker wire outputs and the receiver has 1 RCA subwoofer input.
The subwoofer I am using is a Samsung
PS-WTX72
Is there an adapter I can buy to converts the 2 speaker wires into one RCA jack?
Please see images of the components. The subwoofer input on the receiver is on the lower right hand side of the receiver.
Receiver http://store.audioholics.com/shopimages/products/extras/PV_rxv465_back.jpg

Subwoofer: http://cgi.ebay.com/USED-SAMSING-SUB-WOOFER-PS-WTX72-HT-TX72-SPEAKER-SYSTEM_W0QQ itemZ140381307034QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100208?IMSfp=TL100208191012r34243

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1049
Good morning,

I am sorry to say that your "sub"woofer is technically a passive woofer in that is not powered. It also does not have an on board crossover network nor speaker out jacks so is not likely to be of much use in the system you are trying to install. To use the RCA subwoofer output of your receiver you need a powered sub woofer.

Sorry for all of the bad news

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your reply.
Well that stinks. This whole HD tv thing is pretty costly. Between the cost of the tv, the upgraded hd tv cable, the receiver, the hdmi cables (x'3 so far) and now the subwoofer I'm going to have to buy....this better be worth it.
I have one more question now that you've helped me figure out that my subwoofer which is less than three years old is now worthless....
The subwoofer I am looking at is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=82-115-128-S02&ISList=8 2-115-128-S01%2c82-115-128-S02%2c82-115-128-S03%2c82-115-128-S04%2c82-115-128-S0 5%2c82-115-128-S06&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16882115128&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Descrip tion=YAMAHA%20YST-FSW050BL%20Advanced%20YST%20II%20%26%20Down-Firing%20Active%20 design%20subwoofer%20Single

Is this any good and what is the system connector cable for? Does my receiver have an output / input for this connector?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2615
­
I have no personal experience with this sub, but I would guess it should be at least as good as your old one.

The system connector is for use with compatible Yamaha gear so that you can turn the sub off/on with the remote from the piece hooked to it. Your 465 does not have the appropriate hookup for that to work. I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't leave the sub's power on all the time if it is inconvenient to turn it on/off.
­

Post Number: 5
I don't need the remote to turn it off so I'm good.
Thanks for the reply.

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 70
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Paradigm-PDR-8-v-4-8-Subwoofer-Each-Silver_W0QQitemZ290403282063QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item439d626c8f
single digital coax cable from your yama to this sub
and away you go

Post Number: 6
Just curious...I have a 5.1 channel surround sound system which I will be using with all the appropriate speakers. On top of that I have two built in bose speakers in the ceiling that I am currently not using. What would be the result if I plugged in the 2 extra speakers in the ceiling into a set of jacks I am using for other speakers? I imagine that the quality would suffer but how noticible would it be to the ear? Could this damage the receiver in any way?

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1055
Doing so would not be a good idea, it will unbalance the impedance to the amp. You might get away with using the Bose speakers instead of a pair of other speakers but not in addition to.

Post Number: 7
No idea what that means but thanks for the advice. I won't do it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us