Subwoofer Question

Username: Kikir

Torrance, Ca USA

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Onkyo TX-SR606. It has a single RCA out for the subwoofer. I have an older subwoofer that has speaker wire clips for input and output...and a LOW LEVEL input with 2 RCA's...a LEFT and RIGHT...is there a way I can use this subwoofer with this receiver?..can I use a single RCA for the receiver and a pigtail or single to a double RCA for the subwooofer? thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 524
Yes you can use this sub. You simply hook up the single RCA out put on the receiver to the LEFT in put on the sub woofer. Set your speakers to small in the receiver set up and the crossover point to 80 and set the volume on the sub and enjoy

Username: May1990

Post Number: 1
I've just hooked up a Harmon Kardon sub. to a Onkyo reciever, and the sub. when turned on makes a intermittent thump sound that's not a mirror of the video being played. I have replaced the sub. cable , and took the sub. off the box and checked the connections. After all this the problem is still present. Please give any advice....

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 805
Greetings Darrell,

The next easiest thing to do is to plug the subwoofer into a different electrical outlet on a different circuit in the house.

If that doesn't work then the troubleshooting will have to begin! It will be quite a it simpler to have you write back to say if this worked or not. If not we can proceed from there with a variety of issues check for the cause.

Look forward to your reply

Post Number: 2
Jim,
I did what you said, and the problem is still present. The thump sound, sounds like a s.o.s signal. The day I took the surround sound apart it was working great, and the day I hook it back up (apporx. 18 mos.) it all works fine except the sub. all other speakers are harmon Kardon. Thanks for your time and help!!!
Thanks,
Darrell

Silver Member

Post Number: 806
OK Darrell now it gets fun,

If that didn't work what we have to do is figure out what the source might possibly be. Is there anything, particularly electrical in nature, in the house that switches on and off at the same time as this sound you are hearing? Something like a blower motor for a furnace would be one example.

The other issue is what this sounds like. Many subwoofers make a thumping noise when it first turns on (but do not afterward). Another example is if the sub is on and you connect it to the receiver or touch the connector you get some sort of noise. Does this noise sound anything like that?

While your thinking about that the next thing to do (might have been the first but...) is disconnect the input cable from the sub and make sure that the noise goes away (obviously the sub won't be playing but we want to eliminate the power supply as the cause).

Next thing:

Is it possible to move the subwoofer as close to the receiver as possible? If so, then you can then check for the noise again. If it goes away the quality of the cable may be an issue.

The next step would be to change the settings on the receiver to turn off the subwoofer and see if the noise transfers to the front left/right speakers.

And if THAT doesn't do it then it gets a bit more complicated but trying different subwoofer (not always possible I know).

Please let me know if any of this works for you (or if it makes any sense)

Post Number: 3
Jim,

I disconnected the input cable from the sub with the power cable still connected to the outlet, and the thump was still present. Moved the sub. to another room and plugged in the power cord and the thump was still present again. I don't have another sub to try, and the other speakers are working fine with the sub hooked up or disconnected. Once again thanks for your time Jim.
Thanks,
Darrell

Silver Member

Post Number: 807
AH HA! That is the answer! It's not good news but it is the answer.
Now we need to eliminate the electrical power in your house (just to make sure) Is there an outlet on the back of your receiver? If so try plugging the sub into that. I doubt anything will change but it is worth a try, if the noise goes away then a power conditioning outlet strip may do the trick.

If the noise is still there can you make the noise come by knocking on or bumping the subwoofer?

If so it may be worth getting out the screw driver and doing some inspection. If not, I am afraid that a repair shop may be the place to take it.

Post Number: 4
Jim,
I plugged the sub into the back of the reciever, and it still made the thump. Do you think it would be worth taken it to a repair shop, with the sub being around 7 yrs. old, or just buying a new sub? If not what sub would you recommend, quality per dollar? since I haven't bought one in years. Once again Jim thank you so much for trying to help me on this friday evening.
Thanks buddy,
Darrell

Silver Member

Post Number: 808
Your question is excellent Darrell,

These days you could easily spend as much as a new sub would cost just to have someone look at the thing. You would likely be happier over all with any of the PSW series Polk's or any other of a rather large selection of $200.00 subs.

Then again you could "catch the bug" and the sky is the limit.

The down side of course is that there may not be anything seriously wrong with your existing sub and I hat the thought of tossing it without taking a peek but the obvious thing here would be to plead with my fellow contributors to chime in with anything we might be missing here.

Your buddy,

Jim

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 16
Hi guys, been following this through email and I just had a couple thoughts. Before tossing the sub or spending money... try plugging just the sub into a power outlet at the neighbors or a friends house. My next thought might be a bit far fetched but if you know someone with an emergency power supply (UPS) try plugging into that as well. Finally the question of wireless frequency devices should be explored like maybe a recent wifi or bluetooth change or addition to the environment??

Silver Member

Post Number: 809
Good thoughts Robert,

The first one being to absolutely eliminate the problem being from any surges from the electrical AC power supply and the second from any electro-mechanical interference (EMI) from wireless devices.

Since I have had a chance to sleep off my hockey buzz of last night and with the suggestions from Robert another thought comes to mind Darrell. You could try wiring the sub using the front speaker wires to the speaker level input (assuming it has them) just to see if that changes anything. If you are having an EMI problem then maybe, just maybe this might help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us