Need Advice

Username: 69wine

Post Number: 2
My father-in-law was rather impressed with my new surround sound HD A/V system in my new house, and now wants me to hook him up as well. Which is where we run into the problem. The living room is @ 25 x 30, has cathedral ceilings (16' one side, 18' the other) with tile floors and one wall solid glass windows and doors, 10' high. In other words an acoustical nightmare. Any suggestions? The front speakers can be mounted at almost any height, but the rear speakers will be at least 12-13' up.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 881
I'm not sure you can do anything with such a bright sounding room short of at least some panels or a rug on the floor to deaden the bouncing signals a little bit.

Post Number: 3
I am leaning toward a Harman Kardon AVR340 with Infinity TSS 750 speakers - I like this setup, as it is what I have, but not sure about the speakers for that size of room, although they don't want anything larger than that.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 122
Ouch... no worries with the receiver I suppose, though if your buying it brand-new, you can get one or two models up used or refurb'd. I saw an HK 635 "demo" model for 900$ CAD, so there are good deals out there... Now, why mention upgrading the receiver? Those speakers in that room will sound very hollow. Nothing to do with the quality of the speaker, just the acoustics of the room. Further, the sub cannot deal with it, either a bigger woofer is needed, or two smaller ones. Now, "needed" can obviously be a very subjective term, BUT it will just not produce the same sounds as in your room, as you seem to know already. You did state, however, that they did not want anything larger, so that will be an issue. What type of TV do they have? Floorstanders can complement the decor of a room quite nicely if one shops around. I suppose if all else fails, you can put the speakers on stands quite close to the listening area (i.e. right beside the TV and couch) but the sub will be an issue regardless of where you place it.

Post Number: 4
TV is a sony 42" flat screen, built in over the fireplace - remote operated mirror slides up and down to hide the TV when it is not being watched. Floor stands are a no-no as far as my mother-in-law is concerned, so are two subs. They are not really looking for superb sound, both of them are half deaf as it is - just something to make watching TV a little more enjoyable, without having to crank the volume on the TV just to hear it.

Username: Bub12

Bville, WV USA

Post Number: 1
I need help on wiring and hooking up my Pioneer Reciever (Model: VSX-D814) to my Dish Network Receiver, Phillips Combo DVD/VCR player, and a PS2. I want all of them to be able to play through my surround sound speaker system (Dual Audio) 4 speakers, 1 center channel, and 1 sub-woofer. Does anyone know how I would be able to hook all of this up and make this happen? A wiring diagram or something would be very useful. Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 897
http://www.ce.org/connections_application/CEA_Connections_Guide_Final_v2.swf

Bville, WV USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks man, but that really never gave me a diagram for a DVD/VCR Combo, or does it really even matter?

Silver Member

Post Number: 900
Granted DVD/VCR combo is one of those beasts that the average AVR's don't think of in advance. I have mine connected S-video for video and optical for audio. The s-video goes into the spot for VCR and the audio goes to the CD-R connection. this way I setup my receiver as VCR for video and CD-R as audio to get the unit to work with my monitors.

I know it isn't the prettiest or simplest, but it is more effective ing getting the best A/V I can out of the unit.

Bville, WV USA

Post Number: 4
I still need some type of wiring diagram to hook-up the following: Pioneer VSX-D814 Receiver, TV, Combo Phillips DVD/VCR Player, Dish Network Satallite Receiver, and a Sony PS2 Game System, and "Dual" (brand name) surround sound speaker system (dolby digital 5.1 surround sound) - 4 small speakers, 1 center channel, and 1 subwoofer. I want to be able to listen to sound for all of the above systems through the TV speakers, but also be able to listen through the surround sound speakers whenever I turn on the Receiver. I can't get any audio, and I'm not completely sure that I even have it hooked up right? I don't know what connections I need or anything. I can't find anything out there that has a guide for hooking up a PS2 with all of this other stuff, you know? Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us