Whats wrong? please help

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 240
ok so i hooked up some new speaker to my sony reciever its the model number str-de635 and all the sudden it went into protection mode and now when you turn it back on there is no sound coming out of any speakers and if you turn it up all the way the sub makes very little sound... i tried resetting it and that didnt work, what can i do???? please help if you can.

thanks, Ac

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7214
If you connected speakers with an impedance rating other than 8 ohms or higher to that receiver, you may have put it on protection mode permanently. This can also be caused by speaker wires being crossed. Check the connections and reset.

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 241
how do i get it out of protection mode, ive already checked all of the connections and reset it? thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 7215
What was the impedance rating of the speakers that you used?

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 242
4ohms

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 243
there was actually two speakers to one channel and i switched the polarity on one of the speakers

Gold Member

Post Number: 7216
Unfortunately by doing what you did, you have damaged your Sony receiver. That unit is not designed to handle low impedances.

time to shop for a new unit.

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 244
so there is nothing i can do, i cant take the metal covers off and replace something on a circut board or nothiong?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7218
Unless you are a technician, no.

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 246
actually i just took the unit apart and found two blown fuses that i am soon to replace, so that would fix it right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7222
Hopefully the replacement of the fuses will solve your problem. Others have not been so lucky. Just make sure that you replace them with the same value.

Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us