What do you guys think of my setup?

Rock_Hard
Unregistered guest
I'm 19 years old and have been obsessed with home theatres for as long as i can remember. my dad bought surround sound as soon as it became known and i've grown up around it. Since i was 15, i started building my own setup. I think it sounds great, but the only thing that bugs me is that nothing matches at all. I have 3 different makes of speakers.... As of now, i bought a house and here is what is in my living room:

62HM85 Toshiba DLP TV
HK AVR 330
Sony DVPNS70H Upconverting DVD Player
Xbox 360
Motorola 6200 HD Digital Cable Receiver
DIY Fronts made from Peerless components
JBL EC 35 Center Channel
Paradigm Mini Monitors for Rears
15" subwoofer (not sure the brand...logo is handwritten..i got a really good deal on it)

As of now i'm looking for a small set of Paradigms for the back so i can do a 7.1 setup. Does it really matter that nothing matches? I've never been able to compare the sound of my system to a system that matches...would there be a huge difference?

thanks guys! throw some critisizm at me

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 803
Wait you're 19 years ago with about $7000 in HT gear and you bought your own house? What criticism?

You da man.

Rock_Hard
Unregistered guest
Haha thanks. Only drawback is i have roommates...roommates that dont' always respect my stuff...
you don't think that the mix of brands is that bad?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 807
I don't generally subscribe to the notion of timbre matching for all speakers in a HT setup. Perhaps because I don't hear anything strange. I would recommend that at least the fronts match and then keep the Paradigm pair on the back. In other words you don't need to upgrade just to get them matching. If there is a problem with your sound quality or else you are impressed with some speakers that you hear and think it will be a definite improvement than go with it.

Rock_Hard
Unregistered guest
Well that's good to know. To me, it sounds good. but i can only imagine it would get better if i timbre matched. theres always room for improvement...
thanks for the replies!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us