Onkyo HT-S770 blown speakers?

Username: Jadis

Post Number: 1
I bought my Onkyo 770 5 months ago and a few days ago my wife tells me that she noticed the left speaker had a wisp of smoke coming out of it. I removed the speaker grilles of the left and right speakers and noticed that the left and right tweeters of the speakers look like the plastic tweeters have melted a little in certain areas. The tweeter of the left speaker looking most melted.

After some basic testing, it seems the left speaker doesn't play higher frequencies, seems like the tweeter blew. The right speaker is sounds ok so far. My question is, how did this happen? The volume was never excessively high or anything, and my wife says she didn't hear anything loud or unusual (just the audio from the TV) at the time she saw the smoke come out of the speaker. The only thing I can think of is that a few times last week the cable cut in and out and this produced a loud static type of noise for a brief second (sounded kinda like when a loud microphone is hit with your finger).

Would this be something I can claim on the manufacturer's warranty?

Bronze Member
Username: Steelydan

Post Number: 33
Good question.

I seem to remember somebody else having the same issue you are (smoke and melted tweeter) in these forums with the 770.

You may want to search for this.

Anonymous

Hello,

I'm a professional Electronics Engineer, and I have reviewed the schematic of the system in question. The fault is design parameters on CMOS, discrete comps, output matching and load. I would sell the system, and upgrade to their next design where the problem has been corrected.

Regards, EE

Post Number: 2
That's ridiculous, the 770 is a rather new model and the only system in its class/price range from Onkyo. With such a highly favourable history of HTIB products I had hoped to be blown away, but not literally... I was wondering, where were you able to review the schematics of the system. I wouldn't think they were publicly available.

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 62
I did have just the problem you are speaking about with the HT-S777 (770 with DVD). Mine went up in smoke in the first week.

Of course, I played with the settings and experimented with the sound fields. But the one thing that I feel could have been a no-no was having the DVD plugged into the switched receptacle on the Amp. When mine went, it let out a sharp pop! and then the little wisp of smoke rose from both front mains. The settings had been working up to that point with no indication of problems except that, that day the Volume level was at 45 and the DVD powered on with the Amp.

[Could it be that the 120v power-on switching sequence (with connected load) could of upset the bias of the output section and possibly output DC to the mains. I have heard the tweeters are very low wattage in those speakers and could be damaged by such an anomoly.]

Anyway, enough with the guessing, I got the Amp and the speakers replaced and removed the DVD from the switched outlet and has been running fine for several months now. Of course I am gun shy and always try to turn the volume down when switching on the unit.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 242
Simple answer to your question: yes this is a warranty claim. Get in your claim before the warranty expires.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 63
I got mine replaced by the store where I bought it. Of course that was within a couple weeks of purchase. You, I'm afraid may have to go through the dreaded warranty claim channels. Who knows, maybe that won't be that bad, let us know how it goes. As Dale said, better get a move on.

(one other thing I remembered about this issue, the speakers would squeal once and awhile when turning on the unit. (occurred after the initial damage was done))

Good luck

Post Number: 3
I bought it to an authorized Onkyo repair shop and they mentioned having run into a very similar case not too long ago (tweeters melting). They couldn't detect anything wrong with the receiver. But they will replace the tweeters. This is what they did for the other person it happened to and there hasn't been another incident that they know of.

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 65
Unfortunately, I think they are repairing the symptoms of the problem and not the problem itself.

There is Definitely something wrong with the reciever to do that kind of damage. It may be termed "intermittant" or whatever, but since replacing my receiver there have been NO recurrances (with hard daily use).

I believe any repair short of that is destined for trouble (and hefty charge when the warranty expires)

Curious, was anything being powered by the receiver's 120v receptacle when you switch it on?

Scott Ga
Unregistered guest
This just happened to me today on the front center channel of my 770. Turned on the amp, there was a piercing screech, I immediately shut it off, but it was too late -- smoke coming from the tweeter in the center channel. Scared the crap out of me. I got my system 6 months ago. Has anyone had luck with the warranty claim?

Bronze Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 82
I guess it depends on your retailer. If they will replace it, go for it. Others on this board have had very mixed (bad) results on repairs. It would appear that this is a common failure mode on this model.

Again, two things I have warned others on is the setting of volume during power-on and using the switched outlet on the back of the receiver.

Good luck.

Username: Raybalconis

You can add me to the list.

Yes, the switched outlet was being used, but it was vith the volume turned rather low upon powering up. No screeching sound or popping noise - actually just a lack of sound - then the smoke came. All 3 front tweeters melted. Fortunately for me it was within 30 days of purchase, so I swapped it for a whole new HT-S770. No problems now during 3 months of light use. But now there's always a little apprehension - and what if I actually want to hook some expensive speakers up to this system? Will they get fried?

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 106
I share the feeling. It would be nice to hear the technical review from someone close to the source. Knowing what the failure mode is would help to alleviate fear of future issue.

I am still really suspect of the power outlet in the rear of the unit. Not because I don't think it can handle the load, just that it appears to cause an abnormal power-up condition.

Maybe one day someone will get to Onkyo engineers and give us a Real answer.

anonymous_Engineer
Unregistered guest
" The fault is design parameters on CMOS, discrete comps, output matching and load."

I am an electrical engineer and this comment made me laugh. Ahh... it's the design parameters on CMOS? discrete components (resistors, capacitors and inductors?) output matching and load?

Put down the crutchfield and step away from it. Never claim to be something that you're not again.

Silver Member

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 111
I agree.

Of course I never really give credit to anyone who makes anonymous comments anyway.

Username: Aliniimail

hello,

I'm planning to buy a refurbished ht770 next sunday from j&r and send it in europe. the biggest convertor 220>110 I found has only 1000W. do you think I will have problems with the AC?
I'm not so happy w/ these reviews, because I'm kind of "expert" in blowing up tweeters, with an old marantz amplifier. what I used to do lately
was to connect every time some earphones at the powering on. not so remotely easy doing from bed, but works.
so, the AC pb?...
Alin

Unregistered guest
hello people. i just notice i'm not the only one with this problem yestreday i decided to check my speakers like i always do to see if every speaker is working and wowo my left front speaker and center speaker the tweeters where like melted. this kind of mad me mad cause i never but my system real loud for dvd 45 and cd 60. i think it might have to do something with the dvd player i just had the dvp702 for about two weeks and this happens. i had the system since feb,05 and never had a problem i'm pissed and i'm about to call onkyo to see what there going to do write back soon.

zeicht
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, do you turn on the double bass feature on your HT-s770? is it safe to do so with the standard speakers that come with the system? i read in the manual that double bass can be turned on if the front speakers are set to Large, which they are not. please advise thanks!

cryptalist5184
Unregistered guest
hey outta nowhere my center speaker started making my tv change color, im aware that its b/c of the magnet but i have never had this problem b4 why now all of a sudden?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us