Is it possible to connect a car sub system to a computer? *Urgent must have info needed*

I'm a power hungry customer who craves more bass power than what my altec lansing home theatre system can give me.

I own a good car sub system and all the nice details which I won't bore you with, but my question lies with the title. Is it possible to connect car subs to a computer to replace the altec lansing sub for much more needed bass power? This would be used with my speakers that I already have as well.

Please I really would like a good detailed description as to what must be done, the materials that I should have (other than the subs, box, and amp which I already have), and whatever else that would be good for me, to get the job done. I just need more power for my music in my dorm (current university student) as i'm bored with what good, but not good enough power I get from what I already have.

Thanks a million!

To answer your question, yes. I'm not sure exactly what you have hooked up now but just think of your computer as a stereo unit. Hook it up the same as it is in your car. One thing you need to keep in mind is to not lower your impedance load (ohm's law) on your sound card as it could place too heavy a load on it and damage it.
I have a selector switch (to select amp or headphone) mounted in a hobby box coming from my speaker jack of the sound card, from the hobby box to my input via phono plugs to my aux input of my stereo amp. I have another set of jacks in the hobby box for my headphones to listen privately. You'll need a DPDT switch and 3 stereo 1/8" female jacks And plugs to build this setup.
It's a simple task. I hope this helped. Good luck.

Unregistered guest
what do i need to install a car system in my bedroom, I have the subs, cd player, and speakers, what else would i need. what would power it besides a battery.

Asakite
Unregistered guest
I've done that and it actually works pretty well.
Only thing else you need is an AC to DC Converter.

http://www.globalspec.com/ProductFinder/QuickSearch?query=ac%20to%20dc%20convert er&se=ggka&setag=ELEC

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 16
Car equipment belongs in a car, Home Theatre equipment belongs in the house.

Unregistered guest
im doin the car system in my room works great

Unregistered guest
im doin the car system in my room works great, i have a 12inche Pioneer goin and it pounds

Unregistered guest
So to run the speaker though there is no need for simply sending the signal? I'm doing the same, but useing regular speakers.

And a selector switch? I hadn't heard of these, will it allow me to feed raw wires into my computer? or can i jsut solder the wires to a plug straight?

Thanks so much, I hadn't been able to find this ANYWHERE

Username: Stereogeek

Post Number: 1
what type of AMP would i need if i was connecting a 10 inch car sub to my computer with two 6x9's..??

could i use a car audio amp? or would it havta be a house amp?

james123456123456
Unregistered guest
i have a car audio sub to connect to my cd player i have sub and amp can yu please give me a list of wires i need to connect

Anonymous

i need to no how i would connect up a house streo to my car i need to no how to take away the household plug and connect it to my car can u please help

Anonymous

just want to now what i need to hook my amp,cd player,speakers,and sub up for my room the sub is a jl audio w6 and my amp is a rockford fosgate but dont now what type but it push 800 watts max please help me if can with this question

Unregistered guest
I have two 8 inch 4-ohm 400watt subs in a box in my room. I use a 8-ohm 220watt house amp to power the subs and it Sounds Great. If you running a 4-ohm speaker on a 8-ohm amp it will sound good but don't turn the amp up to loud or it might blow the subs.
You can also run your house amp in your car if you have a AC to DC power inverter

Unregistered guest
how do i hook up a car subwoofer to a home stereo do i need a car amp

Unregistered guest
i have an mtx road thunder amp and a 10" boss 2loud series sub. HOw do i power the amp.

Unregistered guest
i have an mtx road thunder amp and a 10" boss 2loud series sub. i want to hook these up to my cdplayer in my room. i just need to no how to power the amp?

Unregistered guest
i just want to connect some car speaker to my pc and i just want to know a step by step guide and what i need please it really important to me

bigmanbrainy
Unregistered guest
Its a very simple question of basic engeneiring think, how do you power things in you car...now how would you power something in your house...

To speed things up ill just tell you, you need a power converter like the man says, make sure you are only getting 12 volts or so(your wall outlet puts out a lot more than that) and connect your amp to that power source. Wire your speakers like you would any speakers. and vuala!

Username: Beano_baby

Having done this, the best way that I have found, I discovered on thie forum. I am asuming most everyone here just wants to hook up a car sub to a receiver, well, wire it to the receiver just like you would to a car. and for a Power Supply use the directions in this link, unless you have the money to buy a highend ac-dc converter.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/Using_an_ATX_Computer_Power_Supply_to_ Make_a_Scalable_Multipurpose_Power_Supply-111999.doc

Post Number: 2
The the computer powersupply I use purchased local, this is the one I bought.

http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect-power-supply.html

It is good upto about 400watts, it works great on my alpine amp, 350watts, powering 2 Infinity Kappa 10" subs. it does not however work with my MTX 420watt amp, when I turn it on, the MTX draws to much current, and throws the powersupply into protection mode, I beleive that is due to the size of capacitors in the amp.

Username: Austinsevo

what wire do i use for the remote signal, from the PSU?

Username: Austinsevo

also i cut the yellow wire= 12v and tied all the grounds together and when i hooked it up to a multimeter it only hits 11.92v, is that ok?

drunkenwhippet
Unregistered guest
the voltage may rise as it gets a load on it. try it with the amp hooked u and running lightly.

use a yellow wire from the PSU to the amp's remote to turn it on. can put a switch running from the +bat and the rem terminal to turn it off that way and leave the power supplies on. I have a rockford 800a4 amp being run from a sparkle FSP-550-60 PLG power supply, i can turn it up decently before it cuts out from low power. the amp is running 2 10" rockford HE2s and a couple pioneer 6 1/2s. i get sound to the amp with a headphone plug to RCA cable, i bought it at radioshack, then i plug it into the outputs on my computers sound card, and control volume from comp.

Post Number: 3
11.92v is fine most amps should be able to handle 11v-15v, it will give you a little less overall wattage output from the amp, but it is not a problem at all alot of amps give you the wattage in both numbers, 12v and at 14.4v

Username: Stereogeek

is it possible to hook a car sterio up to the t.v for surround sound for movies, and to play music on when u want to?? if so what do i need? here what ill be purchasing for speakers

X2 6x9's
X2 pioneer 10 inch subwoofers

what cords would i need? heh

a sound from space
Unregistered guest
hello i have 2 subs and a 100watt car amp, and purchased a 12v ac to dc converter, would this work,and how would i connect it (the dc/ac converter to the amp) thanks

Lowgear
Unregistered guest
I have yet to find a way on the internet to hook up an amp and speakers to a pc that is safe, works, and dosnt sound like complete crap.

Everybody contradicts everyone elses information. Others have no idea, and the rest is just BS.

This has been discussed so many times with no consistent answer its not even funny.

What I want to know is if somebody figures out a GOOD way to hook an amp up and subs to a computer where are the mids and highs going to come from? This means that you will have to use a 4-channel amp to power a set of 6x9's or something which most likely will sound awfull.

What ive done is just find a set of computer speakers that includes a sub. Take the amp out of the subs box and hook it up to car sub. This way you will be able to control the volume and still have regular computer speakers for mids and highs. I have a Lanzar 12 in a bandpass box hooked up this way and it shakes the windows.

Unregistered guest
i just wanna say i have an 600 watt amp and a 12inch sony xplod speaker and i wanna hook the amp up to the speaker. do i need a car cd players for this,or can i use a home stereo? someone email me who know how to do this.. thanks

slaytus
Unregistered guest
i got two 12" MTX subs running of their own each 650 jensen amps with a power capacitor connecting both

Unregistered guest
Hey,
I i just got a new 460 watt car amp but i want to hook it up in my bedroom i have been looking everywere for converters from 110 volt to 12 volt dc 40 amp but i have had NO LUCK so i was wondering what all i need to do this, if i'm on the right track or not. i know i have to find a converter that will knock my 110 volt down to 12 volts but do does it also need to convert to 40 amp. So if someone could e-mail me at bworland@peoplepc.com that wold br greatful also if you had any idea were to look for the equitiment needed. Thank You Please Help!!!!!!

Anonymous

Hi

I have a Jensen DVD-647 RF modulator which i use to connect DVD player to my old TV. It works fine.

I also have a notebook with a S-Video out. I used a converter cable to convert S-video to RCA and then tried to hook up to the modulator. But nothing comes on the TV. I have checked my cables and the S-video out of my notebook. Both are working fine.

The modulator light turns green when it gets an RCA input [from DVD player] but the light just remains red when connected to my notebook.

HAs anyone seen any such issues or have any suggestion to get this thing working?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

I would like to hook my home theater system to my car and replace the current system. You can buy a good home theater system a lot cheaper then you can buy a good car system. Please email me at jeremy_14_6969@yahoo.com and let me know. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Username: Owenbrady420

as far as hooking your subs up to your computer the best way to go is to just get a digital home reciever and get some good home speakers, then get a sound card with a digital coaxal out so it sounds great, then just keep ure amp and speakers away from the pc so it doesnt mess it up,

latley i have been designing speaker systems inside of my backpack for at the basketball court or blazing and my first one was just some computer speakers mounted in with a amp that was 12v powered by a drill battery and i had the amp inside of a pc power supply box for a case, until recentally i found a pretty high end drill battery and put a car deck in there, it is able to power it for about 2 hours, i have 2 batterys so its all good, i just use like 10w speakers or the battery drains quick, iam wondering if there is any way i could power it on like a DC adapter or something for when my batterys do die, so i could just plug it in somewhere.... the sony deck i use needs 12v 10amps .... would a pc power supply power it? or would it over heat? would a dc adapter with simaler voltage/amps work? i dont know who i would ask about this, but if anybody has some advice please share it....

like i would imagine i would just neeed a power supply that would put out like 12v and maybe 5 or 10amps and like 300w?? a computer one would be ideal but then i think to myself would it overheat after a certin amount of usaage???

Post Number: 3
jeremy you can get dc to ac inverters cheap all over the place that would be ure best bet, but i mean if ure in cold weather ure home system aint gonna last long...to much moisture....

Username: Linuxuser5

I have a power-supply and all the cabling and all that, but i need to know where to hook up the REM wire. I DO NOT HAVE a car stereo, just the amp and subs. Where does the REM wire go so i can connect it to my PC?

Username: Bhupy

hi i want to connect my car system..just the unit to my pc speakers. how do i do that? could anyone help me out.

Username: Owen420

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 4
its very complicated, basically the best way to go is to get a dc inverter that changes ac power to dc, and can crank around 40-100 amps depending on your amp/speakers....ive heard of people rigging batterys with chargers and i have done it, but it dies quickly and isnt the safest.

Username: Rizyy

hiya there ive got an ordinary pc and i have a twin 10" subs 1000 watts and 2 channel competition amp i want to hook it up to my pc i dont no what to do first and what what wires to buy can anyone help me how to hoop it up from scratch. thnx

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15698
First you need to find a decent power supply to provide enough juice for your amplifier.

And I do mean DECENT power supplies.

Go here for info
http://www.bcae1.com/pwrsupdc.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15699
And a decent power supply will cost you more money than actually buying a separate plate amp instead.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us