Totem Acoustic Dreamcatcher 5.1, Klipsch Cinema 8, Infinity Modulus?

Username: Goosey

Concord, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully some people can give me insight on what to purchase. Have visited two stores and one store came up with a package of:

Pioneer Elite VSX55 Receiver
Pioneer Elite DV-59 DVD Player
Totem Acoustic DreamCatcher 5.1

Second store came up with:

Marantz SR7400 Receiver
Marantz Universale DVD Player (Not sure which model priced at $1600)
Totum Acoustics DreamCatcher 5.1

Building this system because I recently purchased the Sony 34" Widescreen HDTV, this was by the far the best picture I have seen. To me the picture was better than Plasma screens that were priced a lot more.

Like the idea of the Pioneer Combo since it can utilize the I-Link and have that digital connection so no translation has to happen. The Sony TV I believe has a DVI Input but not a HDMI. Cable company is providing a HDTV receiver which the Scientic Atlantic Explorer 3250 which seems to have a DVI Ouput and Digital Output.

Read a few reviews on the web regarding the Totem Accoustics and they seems pretty good except for the bass. The room that all this is going into is fairly small, but I do want that clear bass that you can feel in your gut. But please no distortion.

Also saw the Klipsch Cinema 8 package, Infinity Modules, etc. Which speaker set would you buy to make a great package, which amp and dvd player would you choose..

Greatly appreciate the help that anyone will give!

Thanks!

Anonymous

I need some feedback. I'm in the process of upgrading my audio/video setup. But the part that has me baffled after doing hours and hours of research is my choice of receivers. I've narrowed it down to the Pioneer VSX55 or 56 and the Marantz SR8400. I'll be using the Bose Acoustimass 15 and the screen will be the new Samsung 4th generation DLP projection screen 5685. I know the receiver may be overkill and the speakers need to be small because I need them to be invisible. The key thing about the receiver is to have a clean sound that radiates the highs and thumps the lows like a movie theater. Any opinions?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1435
Well, I hate to be the one to start this, the marantz and the Pioneers are an excellent start. But when you want clean sound and radiates the highs and thumps, don't just depend on the receiver. You'd want an excellent set of speakers, they are the ones that will deliver the sound to your ears. Good luck trying to hear dialogue on the Acoustimass, and that bass module will not deliver, I don't care what you think you may have heard on the showroom floor. But if you do decide that you like the way it sounds, then by all means get them, but it will not matter what receiver you buy at this point. The speakers just can't deliver the highs and the lows, you will however have a mediocre sounding midrange.
But then again you posting as anonymous could also mean that this is just bait to start another Bose bashing and Bose basher hater thread!
Flame on!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us