PC Home Theater

Username: Meaded

Post Number: 1
Is there a sound card which is amplified 5.1 channels and will accept digital in from a stand alone DVD player. I have a PC, speakers and sub. I want to find an amplified sound card which I can drive these speakers with, I do not have a home theater amp and would like to use a sound card to acheive the same thing.

Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 10
Have you looked at some of the creative labs products? The Audigy 2 Platinum comes with a breakout box for your drive bay that will accept optical input from your DVD Player.
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=1 50

However, why don't you just put a DVD-Rom drive in your PC? Most newer computers have 5.1 audio cards built in these days. Also with the internal dvd drive you can save money by not buying such an expensive (read: Audigy 2 platinum) sound card that accepts optical in. All you have to do is output the sound using a less expensive soundblaster product like this one:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=5 0

it is 29.99 and should do you wonders!

I hope I helped address your issue.

Cheers,
Bren

Username: Meaded

Post Number: 2
But both of these cards require amplified speakers are there card s with built on amplifiers? I have some great speakers now would like to use them in a 5.1 system.

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 52
Did you read the tech specs on the cards? That is why I gave you the links. They have some amplification, but very little. Even dell ships a power supply for their smallest computer speakers--they are amplified. I can't imagine the setup you have now as being unamplified if they're computer speakers. If they are HT speakers NO sound card will drive them, even if it is an amplified. You need to buy a receiver.

PcAudioGuy
Unregistered guest
There are not Pc soundcards with a built in amplifier. The Creative X-Fi can handle basic Preamp and receiver functions but there is simply no space inside computer case for speaker amps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us