Power amplifier gain issue

Username: Bobbylee

Hong Kong

Post Number: 6
Hi all,
I swopped my Rotel 200W power amp for a Cambridge Audio 200W power amp and at the same relative volume on the preamp, the volume was considerably louder on the Cambridge.

From this, I deduced that the 200W is a lot more powerful than the 200W on the Rotel, which to me doesn't make any sense.

So now my questions :
Can the same wattage amp but with a different gain really have such a large impact on loudness?

But if the gain results in a much louder sound from the same relative position along the volume pot, and both amps have similar power output, then wouldn't the amp with higher gain reach full output sooner than the other?

I guess I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. I always assumed that two power amps of equal power output would have equal loudness as the volume was turned up, but I guess my assumptions are inaccurate or incomplete.
According to amp gain calculation equations from:
https://www.kynix.com/Blog/Introduction-to-Amplifier-Gain-in-dB-and-Calculation. html

Anyone has ideas of it? Many thanks.

Username: Stevediaz

Post Number: 2
The perceived loudness of amplifiers with the same power output can vary due to differences in gain. Higher gain amplifiers may sound louder at the same volume setting. Additionally, the efficiency of speakers and individual amplifier characteristics contribute to overall loudness perception. Check the specifications of both amplifiers for gain values and consider speaker efficiency for a comprehensive understanding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us