What do you think you're worth?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23967
Just a random thread on E trying to spark some interest.

What do you do for a living/fun and what do you expect to be paid for this service?

I'm not asking for your current salary but what YOU think you should be paid for your service, given current market conditions.

It appears this line is falling.

Do you feel that you are being taken advantage of?

Tell me why.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23970
Boy did I waste a few minutes posting this thread.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8387
tree-fiddy.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11594
I currently have a job making 25% less than I should be b/c it's all I could find. Fuckk this recession bulllshit.

Thinking about it pisses me off so I won't go into further. lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23972
I just hate seeing so much talent out there getting undercut due to the economy. Companies across the board are getting talent at half their previous price tags because too many are simply desperate to find work to make ends meet. I'm seeing it at my place of business a lot.

Even worse are all those who are being turned down for jobs because they are "over qualified". Imagine that.

I can only fathom in my head getting laid off and applying for a carpentry job to pay the bills and being told I'm too experienced for the job. Mind you I have a 20+ year experienced laced resume involving everything from hands on carpentry construction/restoration, shop foreman experience, engineering design and inside sales/estimating and advanced design software training.

I work along side engineers and management staff that earn $100,000+/year. I shake hands with some weekly that make $250,000/year. Deal with customers who make much more. In charge of jobs worth $1,000,000+.

Yet I shudder should I get laid off that I'd be answering to a 20 year old at a Home Depot getting TOLD how to cut a sheet of plywood on a panel saw, that I have eons more experience on than he does, just because I need a job.

Is THAT what this economy is brought us to?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23973
In perspective imagine if a NFL football player was denied employment because he was too "experienced/qualified". Ummm, not gonna happen in this country lol. I understand the policy but not in current times.

See, this is where our country's priority's are so fucked up. We pay so dearly to our celebrities and athletes and ignore the core producers of our economy and we can see it clearly during a recession.

Ya think Oprah or Tom Brady are taking a pay cut?

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4763
Paul, the other side of that is that the industry Tom Brady is a part of, creates thousands, if not millions of jobs. Stadiums where games are held, factories where jerseys are sewn, retailers where sneakers are sold, professional sports is an incredible economic stimulant. In a thread about getting paid what you're worth, I think one could argue that Tom Brady is worth every penny.

For me, I know I'm worth more. And I plan to actively seek more. My boss thanks me til he's blue in the face every day for giving him the peace of mind that comes with not having to worry about the location of his business which I manage, because he knows it's in such good hands. Unfortunately, he absolutely cannot afford to pay me more right now, and for that reason he wouldn't blame me a bit if I felt I had to move on to something else.

While I feel I'm worth more, I also am very thankful for what I am earning, and also what we as Americans have all been given. Thanksgiving was a week ago, and just days before that I spent an hour talking and looking at pictures with a friend who just got back from a two week mission trip to Haiti. You know where I'm going with this.

The poverty that exists in most of the world outside of us, is unreal. Our perspective on what we have, what we need, what we deserve, and what's wrong with out society, is pretty out of whack.

I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone here or criticize, these are just the things I think about when this type of discussion topic comes up. I agree that our system needs work. And I agree that a lot of middle-classers are being shorted. But we often forget (myself included), how petty our problems are.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23974
Agree 100%. I suppose what Americans are going through right now should be an eye opener.

"If it makes you feel any better about your situation, there are at least 2 billion people on this planet who still sleep on dirt, drink muddy water, have never seen a doctor, eat less in a day than most throw away and love life more than those who have it all. Think about that."

^^^That's on my FB page. While I give thanks for what I have and appreciate the life around me I can't help myself to be human and continue my quest to provide more for my kids and want a more comfortable lifestyle. Don't we all?

And as far as the athletes? Sure they promote the industry and the jobs that support it, but I still don't think paying a man $100,000,000 is the answer. All that does is push out those who love the sport and force them to never see a game live because they can't afford it anymore. When does it stop? $300/ticket? $500?

It may sound crazy but as a kid I could get into a Pirate game for $2.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3588
Surprisingly, I actually get what the normal pay for an electrician is... Im working/worked 43 out of 46 days straight starting Nov. 22nd-Jan. 7. Having a random Friday, Monday and Thanksgiving off. No more off days till the 7th. Point is, we have work out the wazoo, between Butterball Turkeys and Perdue Chickens, so I couldn't complain even if I didn't get paid quite as much as I should. Hoping it will stay like this after the New Year.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23976
Yup. I complain (silently) about the stresses of my job but will gladly take the lumps in exchange for having one. So many are doing without these days.

P.S. I was able and fortunate enough this year to donate 12 turkeys and all the fixings to a local church for my annual turkey drive. I get my kids involved in hopes it teaches them something money can't buy. I ate well on Thanksgiving knowing I helped others to enjoy it also.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3589
Thats whats up man... Ironically, I was stuck in Butterball on Thanksgiving day. Reheated spaghetti was my meal. Haha

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11602
" It may sound crazy but as a kid I could get into a Pirate game for $2. "

But it's the Pirates... now they probably can't give those tickets away. lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23977
Sad but true lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us