The Brad Warren thread to end all Brad Warren threads.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4187
Sorry for asking for information that has been posted before. I just spent 15 minutes rummaging through BW threads and found everything except what I need. A lot of people joked about a BW sticky though, which would be useful, so feel free to use this thread for any BW questions or needs.

So, what's the best free antivirus program to use in your opinion? I've been running Mcafees free trial since I got my laptop, but the 60 day freebee just expired.

Also, I recall you once mentioning your "5 programs to prevent having computer problems ever again" or something along those lines. So what else do you recommend I install in order to keep everything running smoothly? Something to clean up the registries? (I don't even know what "clean up the registries" means)

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5551
AntiVir is by far the best free anti virus. It is also better than many of the pay ones. Get it here:

AntiVir Anti Virus

The rest of the programs you mentioned from my "Eight Programs..." :

Sygate - Personal Firewall

Xsoft SE - Anti Spyware

Trojan Hunter - Anti Trojan

Malwarebytes - Anti Malware

JV16 Power Tools -- Registry Cleaner

TuneUp Utilities 2010 - Optimizer, Cleaner, Performance Booster, Repair Utility, Restorer

Tracks Eraser Pro - Security and Privacy Tool

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3038
i just switched it up from KIS2010 to Symantec AV Corporate for free (and not hacked!) :-)

however it doesn't provide a firewall so i may be checking out Sygate.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4188
Thanks Brad! Your customer service is second to none!

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4189
AntiVir Anti Virus - 404 not found!

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10718
here :-)

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4190
four, oh, four

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10719
I will win this battle damnit

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4191
Winner!!!

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10721
i have been using it and it works GREAT!!!

i went to some website and attempted to DL a free version of WinRAR and when i opened it AntiVir went haywire and shut it down from a Trojan.exe file it found in the zip to install RAR. lol

i replaced my Avast! and so far i am very impressed. I used Avast! for its real-time scanner, which i think is wayyyy more important than a couple features i wont use when i scan my comp once a week.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13270
Another satisfied customer courtesy of Brad Warren.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11796
This could be a myth but I once heard that Brad Warren parted the Red Sea. I also heard Brad does know where Carmen Sandiego is.

Are these true Brad?

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1140
Brad is used and abused.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5554
LOL Yanks... no sir. My biggest claim to fame is probably being lucky enough to part the thighs of quite a few very sexy women in my day. I leave the sea-parting to Moses :-)

I don't really like when people build me up to be something I am not, because in turn some start to think that I am somehow egotistical about it because of the responses (like on this thread). Anyone that knows me, or has talked to me on the phone, knows that I am a humble and easy-going guy. I just do what I do -- and along the way I have learned a few things about a few subjects. I really like to share that info with people... if for no other reason than that nobody really helped me with clear and easy to understand info when I was starting out in any of my various fields. But one thing should be clear -- I am extremely picky about products and programs etc. that I use and endorse, and have done extensive testing on each -- so if I recommend something, you can be pretty sure it will work well for you too.

If Ehren or anyone else needs an overview on any of the programs listed above, just post here and I will be happy to help whenever I find the time. The critical thing is to not only have the best programs at your disposal, but to know how and when to run them for maximum effect. I haven't had anything other than a minor virus, trojan or worm that I couldn't repair easily in almost four years, and the 100,000 or so people I helped with my column report about the same results. This system really works.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4200

quote:

Brad is used and abused.

Have you seen Brad's girlfriend(s)? I'd let them use me, abuse me, and do whatever the hell they want to me :-)

quote:

knows that I am a humble and easy-going guy.

I think that comes across even on the net. You're not just willing, but eager to help people, and at no personal gain.

Anyways, I did a full scan with the new AntiVir this morning and it detected this...

TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen Trojan

...so it quarantined the file. Do I need to do anything else now? Or does it just sit in the quarantine and that's all it takes to keep harm away? I'm computarded.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5555
Yes. A quarantine is a special folder where anything contained within is prevented from doing anything, like execute and/or spread to other areas. It is best to try and delete anything that AntiVir finds, since quarantine is just a last resort tactic for some pesky files that cannot be deleted easily. But you are 100% safe if the infected files are held in the quarantine folder. You can (and should) use a program like KillBox http://killbox.net/ to "delete on reboot" any file that you are unable to delete conventionally. The reason why you can't delete some trojans and other malware, is because Windows can't and won't delete anything that is running. Malware designers (it's pretty sad there is even such a thing, but there is) know this and design their programs to always be running somewhere. KillBox, and other similar "delete on reboot" programs, are able to delete pretty much any file, because it does so on reboot before Windows, and in turn the infected file, is allowed to start.

I have been thinking for quite awhile about making some instructional videos using Camtasia where you will be able to see my screen, and watch what I do in real time and hear me explaining about each action. I could do one first where I show some tips and tricks about how I set up my desktop and drives, and little time-saving tricks for file handling etc. I could also do requests about specific things or programs.

Would anyone be interested in watching something like that?

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4202

quote:

Would anyone be interested in watching something like that?

Fucked yes.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11798
^^^This. I'd definitely watch it Brad.

I should make Brad a Fan Page on Facebook.....Lol.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4203

quote:

A quarantine is a special folder where anything contained within is prevented from doing anything, like execute and/or spread to other areas. It is best to try and delete anything that AntiVir finds, since quarantine is just a last resort tactic for some pesky files that cannot be deleted easily. But you are 100% safe if the infected files are held in the quarantine folder. You can (and should) use a program like KillBox http://killbox.net/ to "delete on reboot" any file that you are unable to delete conventionally. The reason why you can't delete some trojans and other malware, is because Windows can't and won't delete anything that is running. Malware designers (it's pretty sad there is even such a thing, but there is) know this and design their programs to always be running somewhere. KillBox, and other similar "delete on reboot" programs, are able to delete pretty much any file, because it does so on reboot before Windows, and in turn the infected file, is allowed to start.

More questions:

A. What's the difference if I get rid of it or not if I'm 100% safe with it being quarantined? Is the trojan virus still running when quarantined but just not harmful?

B. Why isn't KillBox on your list of programs? Does one of the listed programs cover what killbox does?

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10726

quote:

I'm computarded.

i literally laughed out loud. hadn't heard that till now. lmao

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4204
Muddy sometimes I feel like we're bffs.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5558
Ehren, Killbox is an extra program i recommend (there are dozens) but doesn't really fit in my basic security setup. It is useful, but not needed every day.

No, as I said the infected file cannot be accessed or allowed to execute as long as it is in the quarantine folder. I like to use the analogy that if you had a dozen mass murderers jailed in an escape-proof room in your backyard, wouldn't you feel just a bit better if you could grind them all up in a sausage maker and be done with the threat?

Oh and also...

Upload

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21991
I just think Brad is cool. Can I stop at just that?

Let's leave the whole "I wanna #$%! him and lick up the mess left behind" attitude. LOL.

Seriously, Brad is a very resourceful/smart man with a life MOST of us, including me, envy. He is a product of HIS environment.

It just so happens that he has an AWESOME environment.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10730
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! i laughed out loud again when i read your post, Pit. lolol

then the G@y-dar pic had me rollin, plus i'm sitting here with half a b0ner after reading through Andrew's thread, and i started feeling awkward....come over and hold me.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4211
I always get bonerz when I'm posting, perfectly normal.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Post Number: 6376
Jesus Christ, I forgot why I left here in the first place, but thanks for the reminders, lmao.

That being said, Brad is by far one of the most helpful, humble, easy-going people I've ever talked to and I feel privileged having ever spoken to the dude. I can't count the number of times I've regurgitated information I've learned from Brad to others (graphic metaphor, I know, my apologies). B + W = G.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us