How Do I Properly Back Up My PC???

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1764
I finally found my restore disc for my desktop computer while I was cleaning last night and I have no clue how to back up anything on it. The only thing I really wanted to keep from it, I already put onto the external HD. So I guess the real question is how do I properly restore my PC? It has Windows XP on it but it didn't come with the Windows CD. Will it still be on there or do I need to buy a Windows install disc?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22028
I'm assuming once you insert the restore cd it will prompt you for commands. Windows shouldn't be deleted as it was the preloaded OS and should be part of the restore. Expect to lose all else though but like you said you already backed all your files up on an external.

I say let her rip but I'm no PC expert.

***Meaning don't gamble on my advice lol***.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1765
You think it will get rid of all the other problems I had before though?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/off-topic/574291.html

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22031
A complete restore SHOULD solve your problems but in all honesty your desktop is probably almost obsolete. Just how old is it? I find myself replacing PCs every 2-3 years. Technology is far faster than consumption these days. Since you have the data anyway you might wanna bury the beast and start fresh anyway. Desktops are cheap as hell. And I sooooo wanna get a Mac myself if I had the $$.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1766
It's only a couple years old and this is the second time this has happened to it. The first time was WAY worse than this time. I even had the tech support guys stumped on that one. I payed a local guy $20 to completely restore it but he moved away.

I payed almost two grand for the tower so I'm not ready to just throw it away yet.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22032
2 G's for your tower?? Wow that must be a nice rig. If all your data is backed up and it's been dead for this long then I must say it's a shame but you may have to just move on...........

Again, I'm just giving my opinion...........

But I understand your plight.

I myself personally haven't paid more than $1200 for any PC or laptop.

Then again I, myself, want a Mac for many similar reasons.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1767
Yeah, it was nice when I bought it. My laptop is far more superior but I just hate watching movies and playing games on a 15" screen with no surround sound.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1768
My laptop cost about $1,100.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1769
My desktop is the Ultimate M5 Gladiator series.

This one is just an upgraded version of mine.

http://www.abs.com/app/config.asp?mono=1962

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22033
Yeah my desktop cost about $800 and my Laptop around $1200.

I know many spend mucho times that on their PCs and laptops and such but I'm not computer savvy lol. I know that more ram is better and that AIM is the DEVIL.

And also Windows, because of its' greatness has spawned all of it's failures.

Ironic isn't it?

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1770
Ironic? No. It's just like buying a new car. If something breaks down on it, they intentionally make it too difficult to fix yourself so you have to take it to a dealership to have them fix it. I don't think computer companies are any different. Most people just buy stuff and think it will work forever. Which in turn makes people want to go to school to learn how to fix things like that. And who gets most of the cut of the tuition? THE MANUFACTURER!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us