Auto-tune...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7526
Holy chit...who doesn't use it now???
Every dam song I hear is whiny and auto-tuned now???

WTF!!!!
Where did all the real music go?

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3888
It's trendy for sure right now. The quality/importance of singing ability and lyrical content has gone down in the past couple of decades. In some genres more than others, but just in general.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 4229
Agreed Pit.

I can't stand it myself. I know some youngsters who like that crap. Jay-Z made a song called "Death Of Autotune". I haven't taken the time to listen to it. Have you heard the song Pit?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5204
We are living in an era of talentless rappers and "singers" who skipped the whole part of practicing their whole life to be an actual musician. They use Antares Auto-Tune because they can't actually sing. Not only that, but they can't play even one instrument. The backing tracks are played for them by session musicians and/or created by computer.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23370
some of these dj's think they are musicians too. i guess they think the record player is an instrument. lol.

ahh but some dj's do actually play the keyboard and stuff.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20696
What's Auto-tune?

A program that digitally alters your voice?

Then it's not your actual voice is it?

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10490
listen to any new Kanye West or Lil Wayne song. that robotic melodic voice is the result of auto-tune

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15146
agreed with brad

kids these days dont know what real music is since they r surrounded by what passes for 'music' so they dont know better

in my car or home i only listen to what makes sense like adult contemporary & 80s & b4 music ...

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10491
i love listening to the late 90's rock. my favorite cuz it's what i listened to growing up:-)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20701
Late 90's rock?

Try late 80's rock.

Hair nation FTW.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1332
Music nowadays does truly suck. It is far and between when you find singers and groups not altering their voices for the sake of an album. I always find it greatly entertaining when you listen to talentless entertainers sound horrible live and their recording is pitch perfect. Oh, yea, and I would be of the same generation that thinks the autotune music is really good but I listen to real music like 70's rock and jazz.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10547
X2 paul

My sirius radio stays locked in to channel 23 hair nation

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3897
I like a lot of today's music, I like a lot of hip-hop, and even some of the songs that specifically use the "auto-tuning" discussed in this thread. I also have a huge collection of, and was raised on, classic rock. I think a lot of people struggle to respect what they don't understand.

I hear people say all the time how rap is garbage and it's not real music and such, and I think that opinion couldn't be more close-minded and misguided. No offense to anyone in this thread if you feel that way.

I couldn't begin to put in to words a proper defense of the hip hop genre. I'm just not the guy to take on such a large task (whilst popular, the hip-hop genre is also supremely loathed and un-respected by many). I did read some excerpts recently however from Michael Eric Dyson's book "Know What I Mean?" that did a very good job. I'll see if I can look them up in case anyone is interested. A good read I thought.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20711
Just my opinion......

I always felt rap and was a release for mostly urban class ppl who feel they have had the short end of the stick and choose to vent their anger through their "music". You see a lot of hate and violence in the genre which parents have a right to censor their children from. It also appeals to the rebel child as the taboo of "proper" entertainment. After all the more anyone tells them NOT to listen it just fuels the fire more.
I personally DON'T see the glory or respect from gang bangin' life or lyrics that constantly put the life on a pedestal. The more today's youth that look up to it to me is that much of a failure. Ppl actually want to become part of the world BECAUSE of the music glorifying it.
When a 13 year old watches a 4 minute video with nothing but guns, murder, hate, prostitution, drugs, and gold wearing thugs I highly doubt a higher education or a positive attitude towards their own future is tops on the shopping list. What they're preaching about is not a life but an easy way to shorten one. Be an inspiration to those listening and stop bragging about what you do that every other thug mimics. The story gets old after the 10,000th time you hear it. "My wallet's fatter, I gets more tail, I gots more gold, my rims are shinier, my ho's are finer, my lyrics are tighter"

Blah blah blah blah blah...................It's like the supreme goal of every rap song is to self proclaim ultimate victory over every other rap star stating the same thing.

We get it already. You guys are da bomb.

Don't throw stones yet ppl lol. There are other genres of music which are deemed by many as questionable as well. It's just so easy to pick on rap for some reason. With it being so "hardcore" and all ya know? I don't want to label ALL rap as having such a negative message. There are exceptions to every opinion as well as rule and if anyone can enjoy the music positively then so be it, buy the album. I've been listening to all kinds of music for over 25 years. Sinatra to Sammy Davis jr, Michael Jackson to Slaughter, Guns N Roses to Michael Buble. Shania Twain to Natalie Cole. I even have the 10 pack of classical cds.....somewhere.

The most important thing any parent can do is properly educate their children so that they are prepared to make intelligent decisions when they present themselves. You CAN'T be there for them all the time anyway so don't put them in a bubble. I'd be just as horrified if I walked into my son's room one day and caught him and his 5 friends getting ready to sacrifice the neighbors cat above a pentagram they drew on the carpet because his "music" suggested it.

That would be a bad day as well.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3898

quote:

if anyone can enjoy the music positively then so be it

The VAST majority of listeners do exactly that imo.

quote:

The most important thing any parent can do is properly educate their children so that they are prepared to make intelligent decisions

Precisely. And if anyone, child or adult, is making bad decisions based on influences from the music they're listening to, the problem is NOT the music.

quote:

"My wallet's fatter, I gets more tail, I gots more gold, my rims are shinier, my ho's are finer, my lyrics are tighter"

There's a lot of that, no doubt. And I'm not defending those lyrics as an art form. At the same time, I think your point brings up an interesting counterpoint. Have you ever heard anyone use the expression "sex, drugs, and hip hop"? No. But "sex, drugs, and rock and roll", of course.

A VERY large portion of music, be it hip hop, rock, country or whatever is heavily influenced by the same rebellious sort of concepts. I think this just boils down again to people having trouble understanding different cultures and lifestyles. A lot of people think it's ridiculous to put extremely loud subwoofers, big shiny rims, hydraulics etc in a car. But the people who do those things might think it seems ridiculous to lift up a truck really high and put giant tires on it and drive around in the mud.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3899
Found it. If you're interested in reading, scroll down and start with the paragraph: "In fact, that's even more reason to clarify..." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11829316

quote:

Hip hop's critics make a valid point that the genre is full of problematic expressions. It reeks of materialism; it feeds on stereotypes and offensive language; it spoils with retrogressive views; it is rife with hedonism; and it surely doesn't always side with humanistic values. But the arguments of many of hip hop's critics demand little engagement with hip hop. Their views don't require much beyond attending to surface symptoms of a culture that offers far more depth and color when it's taken seriously and criticized thoughtfully. It is odd that so many gifted intellectuals should so resolutely stick to superfluous observation. Such critics seem afraid of the intellectual credibility or complex truths they might find were they to surrender their sideline seat and take an analytical plunge into the culture on which they comment.

This^^^ paragraph sums up very well how I feel about a lot (but not all) of the people who make blanket statements about hip hop as a genre being "garbage" or "not real music".

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20713
Good points. I understand where you're coming from Pit. Growing up in the 70's and 80's though has my definition of music as one that leaves you humming the chorus afterward and appreciate the true vocal talent the singer brings to the table. MTV hit the nail on the head with their "Unplugged" series. Just a musician and his vocal chords. Nothing else. That's why we have threads like these questioning anyone's "talent" they claim to have on stage. When the lip syncing fails or the mixer gets bumped you're left with a professional nightmare.

Maybe rappers IMO shouldn't call themselves singers but more like performers. Just like pro wrestling. Ppl will pay to be entertained either way.

On a side note a country great, Johnny Cash, usually didn't vocalize his music but rather just told a story while the instruments played. It worked for him. He had a voice you didn't need to hear singing to appreciate his message. Not that I'm comparing Johnny Cash to rap lol.

I suppose if I need to live the life before I "understand" the music then I'm quite happy being completely oblivious to alot of things.

Imma go cut my grass now.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3900

quote:

I suppose if I need to live the life before I "understand" the music then I'm quite happy being completely oblivious to alot of things.

Oh man... I've seen pics of you Paul... So many hilarious images floating thru my head now!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20714
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us