Internet Explor 8.0..and help needed

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1818
hey ya all...long time no see...hope ya all are well and healthy...

anyways, I know many of you are good with puters, which I'm not...so I need some advice...

I have a few homes,and currently in a new one up North in New England that I recently bought, and had to furnish..so I bought from a shop (now closed), a used older Dell puter with XP(pack 3), pentium 3, 256 ram, and had IE 7.0 for basically internet purposes (also have comcast 6mb DSL) which worked well but a lil slow due to the ram , I'm thinking...and the shop told me there was no way I could add another 256 ram card.. but anyways I was able to live with that lil slower speed..now here is the problem, I upgraded to IE 8.0 yesterday and now my puter is slower than dirt, and takes sometimes 1-2 minutes to open a page, and often get "Internet explorer script error" message...so then I went and re downloaded and installed 8.0 again from a free download site and still no changes or improvement...I was much better off with IE 7.0 and faster too, but when i try to download and reinstall 7.0 now, I cannot...I get a message says "internet explorer is already installed on this puter and cannot continue"...so any ideas or help?...i'd appreciate it...also please remember i'm a lil slow with computer stuff, just know enuff to be dangerous...lol...also should i be "removing" IE 8.0 somehow first and if so, how?..not real familiar with XP or this puter and don't see that option anyplave or in control panel...hell i don't even see my 'start" programs, thinking maybe i can delete somethin on startup..or can't see/find programs...acessories...system tools...defrag etc....I'm use to Windows Vista and ME 2000, or 98, and not XP..

sorry to be so long winded and would apprecuate any help ya can offer...thanks ya all..

BTW,let me add...sometimes/ocasssionally I get a "windows virtual memory is severly low"' message..and my clock with be 2 hrs behind the real time..and I got this before too when I was using IE 7.0 and still now with 8.0

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3869
Get rid of IE.

http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.0.10&os=win&lang =en-US

Gold Member

Post Number: 1819
How do i get rid of IE?...just install Firefox and it will delete IE?..and is Firefox user friendly, or will i see a huge change in the way i navigate, as far as simplicity or commands or task bars?

Gold Member
Username: Riconissan

Post Number: 1251
Hi justforhaha's
Long time no see.
I hope you drop dead.

Firefox works great. Make it your default browser and take IE out of your start menu.

You would have to be a real Dolt to still be using IE. Oh... Forgot who I was talking to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1820
maybe ya don't understand rico...I can't even see my programs listed on startup,as i already stated....yes i have the START button, but....so again, do I have to DELETE/UNINSTALL IE and exactly how, if so...

BTW rico, I dunno you, so why ya being a jerk towards me...I'm guessing U play in the 'satellitte " boards and are 1 of the troublemakers there working for the authorities...but i quit them satellite boards a long time ago and don't bother anybody, or haven't posted there in prolly almost 6 months to a year ago or longer..and have no interest in that board anymore...I moved on a long time ago..something U should do, if yer still talking like a 10 yr old bashing ppl like me who is here ONLY looking for some honest help..

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 1151
justforhaha's, when you click on start menu, you should be able to see 'Control Panel'. When you click on that, window should open. You will see a bunch of icons. The one you are looking for is called 'ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS'. After you double click on that, another window should pop up giving you a list of all programs installed on your PC. since you have little ram and i'm sure you have a lot of programs, my guess is that it will take a little bit time for to load on your PC. BUT DON'T GIVE UP!.
When all of the programs load, you will be able to see windows explorer 8 towards the bottom (alphabetically orderred). And you will simply hit the uninstall/remove key - which will then direct you to steps necessary to uninstall. I recomend you download firefox first through internet explorer.

Virtual memory can be set as well. Right click on 'My Computer' and go to properties. Then you click on the 'Advanced' tab. There you will see 'Performance', User Profiles' and Startup and Recovery'. You will click on settings under Performance. Once you click on settings, another window will pop up. You will then click on the 'Advanced' tab on top of the window. Towards the bottom, you will see option for virtual memory and a button 'Change'. Change it.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 1152
I would actually recommend you to buy a new computer. Sell one of those STB's lol

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20607
"How do i get rid of IE?...just install Firefox and it will delete IE?..and is Firefox user friendly, or will i see a huge change in the way i navigate, as far as simplicity or commands or task bars?"

You can use any browser you feel. I switched to Firefox then was led onto Opera. Firefox tends to hog memory if you don't close it after every use. At least it does for me. I'll jump on the PC and everything freezes. Task manager shows me Firefox is using 500megs of ram. That's huge for any application. Opera is smooth and fast with just a small learning curve in its' tools/features.

IE just loves dogging my PC in general so I ditched it. Might be a Vista thing.

God I wish i could afford a MAC.

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 913
Ya i noticed that Paul on firefox. I dont like closing my browser but after a while i have to close it cuz stuff gets really slow and firefox sometimes freezes. I tried using opera but i guess i am used to firefox because i went back to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1821
hey guys ...Thanks for all the help...I'm a lil familiar with some basic things like control panel and removin programs etc....i was just wondering if I HAD to remove IE to use Firefox..or could i have both on the puter...and if IE 8.0 had issues...

anyways i simply downloaded Firefox with the link provided here and it asked me if i wanted it as my default, and I had no need to delete IE...but I will delete is anyways anyways...and TY for the virtual memory change steps, i'll change that next...my puter is 10x faster now with Firefox over IE, and no error messages....and have 5-6 windows open all the time and they open fast now..

I use IE with Vista and 512mb and 1 gig ram and those puters are super fast and never freeze or error message , and i always have 5-10 windows open at once...i like Vista and IE on all my other puters , except IE with XP and 256 ram on this old one here just didn't work well..

Thanks again for the help and suggestions...

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20609
Vista, from what I'm being told by my IT guy at work, is just not the OS we need to use. I have engineering software that hogs/needs 3gigs of ram to run properly all by itself! 3 gigs!!Compound that with what Vista sucks from your ram and you have...............a fucked up day.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1253
You would have to be a real Dolt to still be using IE

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15085
havent used IE in ages - hardly any1 does except older ppl who started off with that & accustomed to it & cant get used to others

firefox works great & i never really had any problems

when V3 came out it wasnt running too smoothly though so i reverted to v2 - dunno if by now if they sorted out v3 ....

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5165
Opera is better than Firefox in every way. If you are going to listen to these guys and use FF, just get Google Chrome instead.

And this is coming from someone who was the first person to recommend FF to everyone who read my computer column back in the day. Then I tried Opera and have been blown away for 6 years now.

Rico, stfu. You must be a real loser to post 1200+ worthless posts in less than five months. Go get a girlfriend if they aren't repulsed by your ugly ass -- püssy really is as good as your one cool friend has told you...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1254
What Is your problem?
I call that post pretty freaking worthless.

I have a problem with justforhaha's. Not you.

It Is obvious that you have nothing better to do. Learn some manners.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5166
LOL let me get this straight... you are telling ME that I have nothing to do when you are here talking smack in multiple sections acting like a little spoiled kid while running up 1254 posts in 5 months? And you say my post was worthless because it pwned you? Opera rules all.... period, and if you are too stupid to know that, it is not my concern.

Then you have the balls to say I have nothing better to do? Anyone that knows me would tell you I haven't even been here for the last several months with all that is on my plate. I designed the stage for the Taylor Swift world tour for three weeks, I run my own business, I am constantly in the studio doing session and production work for countless bands, I do audio and computer consultation work and I have two girlfriends that are hotter than anything you have had or ever will have. I am busier than probably 99% of the people who come here. I called you out because I see you acting like a jackass and we don't want you here. Go back to the satellite section and feed off what little dignity and respect you have left.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1255
Yeah I have the balls to say it. Mind your own business.Learn some manners. Read your own post and you will see what an idiot people must think you are.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3869
Ahhh Brad you are missed! Sounds like you're making good music and good money. Keep it up. Let us know when you have officially diddled Ms. Swift :-) (it's only a matter of time)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15089
FF is def more stable\reliable than IE ... never heard of opera - guess im lame then ...

FF works good 4 me so i never bothered to look for or try anything else ...

Gold Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 1154
i never heard of opera either. I just dled it and it is pretty sweet. Def. kills ie.
I never was a fan of firefox so i guess opera is my new browser.
I would recommend it

Username: Ricocossan

Post Number: 1
Pit Rovin and Mr.Skullz are nothing but useless pieces of Chit In my books. And Im free to go anywheres I wants. So there.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15101
? - i didnt tell u anything bad so whats up with that ......

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3874
cool.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1271
Check the post count [...Rovin...]
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts