Mentality of some people

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19670
I just don't get it. Maybe I missed that fraction of schooling when I was daydreaming about Farrah Fawcett.
So I'm cleaning out my basement. I have MANY items deemed to me worthless that I figured "why not just give them away" instead of trashing them? Among many items including strobe lights, speaker boxes, old toys, camping gear, and such, I came across a sling shot I have. You know, a "wrist rocket" type? Loved them as a kid, had to have one now. About 4 years old. Paid maybe $4 for it? So I put it on Craigslist for $1 just for fun. Someone 1 hour away wants it and is willing to drive the distance to me to get it. For $1. They can get this same item locally for about $5 or less? Is 2 hours of their time and gas worth a $5 item?

What goes through some people's minds when they see something online? I'll sell it to him, but question his justification on the travel expense to get the item.

I was aiming for someone in my own neighborhood. Walking distance ya know? This guy is going to travel that far for a $1 item?

Maybe it's our own Andy Summers, AKA Cocoon?

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 318
Yeah seems a little crazy to drive that far for it but hey its his time and money.

I had one of those when I was younger a loved it!!! Untill it broke one day and part of it hit me in the face...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19672
Yeah I loved my sling shot as a child as well.

It also got me into mucho trouble haha.

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 987
Paul do the strobe lights work? I'd be interested if, like you said, it wasn't more to ship them then it would be to just buy one..lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 10327
i killed a bird once with a wrist rocket...never touched one since. lol:-)

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4209
Maybe they are coming to rob you

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 726
old "toys"

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12354
I got dibs on any old star wars toys!

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23195
paul did you make the strobe lights in electronics class in high school?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19673
Make them? Naw. Used them to get all wacked out? Yup.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4570
ya, CL is funny like that. I gave away some old headlights..like what $5 dollars new at wally? so some guy came and got them . must have taken a good 45-1 hour drive.

But its funny like that. I had a karioke machine thing. had it posted for $5 bucks...no-one, so i list it for free and i got like 8 emails in a matter of minutes.
Althought the guy who came and got it gave ma a puzzle game and a windshield squugie thing in trade. lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19676
^^^yup. Sounds like the slot machine I had. It was stuck in error mode. I was tired of it and had two anyway so I tried selling it for $25. Stated that it needed work. Noooooooooobody wanted it. Like a week went by and I said screw it. Listed it as dead but free. No lie 200+ ppl responded begging for it.

Go figure.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19683
Dude picked up the slingshot for $1.

He was cross eyed.

Wearing an overcoat.

Wished him the best of luck.

Gave him my card.

Will never see him again lol.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10330
until he kills every1 in your neighborhood with the sling shot and his crooked eye.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 325
^^^

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3667
"until he kills every1 in your neighborhood with the sling shot and his crooked eye."

haha i literally laughed out loud.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1562
hey , how do u think he got the crooked eye?

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10333
from a wrist rocket and an abusive, alcoholic father....he doesn't like to talk about it.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Post Number: 6322
are you really going to make him pay a dollar? if he is willing to drive that far i would just give it to him... then again if he's willing to drive that far he probably just wants to rob you.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19693
Damn right. Why give it away? He was well groomed and wore upper class clothes. He could afford the 100 pennies.

It's not like I was selling food or blankets to the needy lol.

Besides, before he could leave I handed him my business card for my knife business. I think that's when his eyes crossed. Either that or it was the bowie collection on my wall.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6323
why give it away? because you stand to make a dollar... i know we're in a recession, but damn.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19694
Who's making a dollar? That wrist rocket cost me many times that. I could be one of those who would sell it on Ebay for $9.95 or more. He said it was for his son who I could hear in the background over the phone.

Should EVERYTHING be free? I just don't get the logic.

That dollar was simply a symbol of a good deal. Free means charity which I am all about but this transaction wasn't.

Shoot. He probably has it on Ebay now for $9.95 for all I know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6326
your argument doesn't really make sense because everything doesn't cost a dollar and everything isn't sold in the circumstances at hand. regardless, i just wanted to say it seems dumb to make that man pay a dollar unless you need money that badly. just saying.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3671
Paul's actions make perfect sense to me. Like he said there is an important distinction between a transaction and charity, and a transaction was appropriate here.

He didn't give it to him for free for the same reason he probably doesn't go around giving cash to random people.

And it shouldn't be a judgment call either. What type of clothes he was wearing, what social class he appeared to represent, how far he traveled etc., are all irrelevant to me.

Charity is appropriate when someone really needs something and isn't reasonably able to provide it for themselves.

And even in this "transaction", Paul still committed an act of generosity, selling it for a price that was obviously below the going rate.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3672
By the way Paul, I'm curious, did he offer you the $1.00 at some point?

Or was it more like, "So.... that'll be one dollar please."

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19699
Pit you nailed it head on. I don't believe non essential items should EVER be given away for free. That's just meaningless and favors greed. By putting a $1 price tag on it eliminated 100's of beggars looking for a freebie. If it comes at a price, even one as low as $1, it forces the "buyer" to make a decision. Is it worth it to them to make the journey and pay the $1 for the item? It also helps the buyer in feeling better about the transaction because it's as close to charity without it actually being one.

If I listed it for free then I would be swamped by all the trolls who had only an interest in it being free, not a wrist rocket. It adds value to not only the item but the transaction itself.

The sling shot was mine, paid for and kept in perfect condition. I have the right to sell it for whatever I want. What this thread was about was how far some people will go for it. I don't feel bad about someone burning $5 in gas to pick up a $5 item. He's a big boy and can make his own financial decisions.

Pit. I listed it for $1 so he had the bill in hand at my door. There's no haggling over $1. Who has the balls to do that lol?

Kind of an old story but I remember someone trying to get rid of their refrigerator. It worked but they were moving or something and needed it gone. Out on the curb it went with a sign on it saying "Works, free". Nobody wanted it. Suspicion of the value I guess. So the owner had an idea. He put a new sign on it. "Works, $50".

It was stolen that night. Problem solved.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10336
^^lmao

thats funny

Reece, chill out about the dollar, man. its just a dollar. lol

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4584
lol with the fridge story.

I put things out on the curb with a sign,
Free or best offer.
Put a working snowblower out there, some guy came to the door and offered my $20.
Put a tv out there, got $5 for it. Another tv was taken free..
All that foam coil stuff i had, gone..

today, old refridges, ac's, stoves, dishwashers, ect are worth $$ in scap, so its very seldom you will see one hanging around long.

At work if i am changing out broken ac's, I will leave the old one outside on the curb while I go back nside to get my tools, and 9 out of 10 times it will be gone be the time I get back out to my van.

My best CL deal. Got a bunch of crown mouldings, like 45 - 16' lengths free.
Just sold 20 of them for $150

Worst Cl deal. Sold my 1973 Harley SX 125 for $600. Seen it listed the next day for $1500.
The guy told me he was gonna do a complete restore, not a resell.

Oddest, Sold my 81 caprice to a kid from NY City. He took the train here to drive the car back..Dont they have caprices in NY?

And finaly, legend has it that a guy needed a tile job done, so when prospective tilers came to look at the job, he would answer the door naked, with the phrase, "looking to lay something down"

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19703

Gold Member

Post Number: 6327
"Reece, chill out about the dollar, man. its just a dollar. lol"

exactly... so when was i not "chill"? i was simply stating my opinion just like paul was stating his. sue me.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19706
Just for the record I don't make a habit out of dragging ppl across the state for $1 items. Some may find humor in it but this was just a coincidence.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3372
Damn Reece. Chill out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6328
i know you don't, paul, that's why i thought it was weird.

and steve, i don't even talk to you on the forum, why would i want to be your friend on facebook?

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10338
a douche in true form. :-)

Gold Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3373
Well, it must of been a mistake. I cant think of any reason I would want to add an azz like yourself.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 365
Whoa guys, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. How about we all just take a deep breath and chill?

Here's a pic to make it all better.

Upload

Gold Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3374
I feel better

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10341
hahahaha! i love those motivational and also the Demotivational pics. they are funny every time. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6329
thanks, paul. i wasn't ever attacking you. you are one of the best guys on the forum so i was really just stating my opinion on the matter... the thread was titled the mentality of some people and i was explaining mine. i still don't know why some people decided to freak out. i figured you would be fine with me stating my opinion as you are a mature adult...

muddy, i don't think we've ever talked personally so why are you calling me a douche? just because i don't kiss a55 on an internet forum? i could say i think people who butt into other people's business are douches, but i don't know you personally so i will withhold judgement and i wish you would do the same.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19708
Ok. I'm fine with closing this thread now. Points taken.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10342
you have a very brash way of coming across that is hard to percieve unless you truly understand the way you communicate. whether you mean to offend is probably not the case, but the way you word things doesnt lead people to believe you are simply stating your opinion, but rather "attacking" them in a sense. you should understand. :-)
i dont know you personally and i am simply making an observation. i could be entirely wrong as i dont talk to you and i dont read a lot of your posts so its hard for me to get a "feel" on how you are as a person and how you come across.
either way, its still the internet.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6331
if you don't appreciate my brash tone i wouldn't recommend making brash judgments about people. it makes you look hypocritical... i don't really know what was i said that was so brash in this thread. maybe some people need to get the chips off their shoulder. not everyone is out to get you.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3677
Reece and Tebow gaytors for life <3 <3 <3

That is all.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10346
if you cant or dont understand...im not explaining it to you. maybe someday you'll understand what we're talking about.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us