Speaker noise with computer turned off?

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1550
ok i submited a RMA tag for newegg but i don't wanna send out my mobo, so before i do. heres the issue i have bose or blowz companion 2 speakers linked up to my new pc build, all was good the first few days, i knocked out the audio jack , so i plugged it back in . all seemed well then when i shut the pc down i get ether a tone with a pulse sound from the computer speakers, or i get a high pitched whistle depending on if i shut the pc down with it plugged in or shut it down and plugg in the speakers, it varries. now my question is , is this a bad power supply or mobo? i have tried other speakers and same deal so i ruled those out, oddly headphones are silent. the other odd thing once i tuurn the pc on it all stops. soon as i turn it off and shut it down it comes back, if i flip the power supplies main off switch obviously all sound quites, turn switch on and i get my noise back. so the question is what's the deal? i have a 850 watt thermatake power supply, i can replace that with ease but i really don't wanna pull the mobo out and wait 2 weeks for a replacement if i don't have to. rob or brad i assume u'll chime in here.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9023
The port didn't get damaged when you pulled out the plug did it? Make sure you don't have speaker wires running along power cables if possible. My receiver also emits a "blank" sound if there's no signal but it's not audible unless it's cranked to max volume. If you're saying headphones are fine then I'd rule out the mobo. Something is causing interference. The speakers you're using are all powered by a source other than the motherboard unlike headphones so that should narrow it down.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9024
It's sending a signal through the mobo to that port but it's just not strong enough to be heard through the headphones as the headphones are powered through the mobo.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1551
exactly my though but no, the plug was pulled straight out only diff was that the speakers were on when i plugged it bk in at the time the other odd thing i found where 90 percent of the oise comes from , i have a external portable drive that's hooked up and the usb powers it. what i fund odd was the drive activity light stays on when everything is shut down. so for some reason the drive is getting poer when the pc is in shut down mode, the evenstaner thing is appparently the drive is attempting to be accesed cause the activity light blinks in succession wit my pulse i get through t speaker, other then that i get a blip real faint in sucession, i think thats due to the oither usb devices. idk maybe the psu has a flaw?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1552
also i have a front audio jack it does the same sound but fainter, so i can rule out a bad jack. like i said what's odd is as soon as i hit the power button and it powersup the psu even during post it goes away

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1553
i took the whole mobo out unpluged everything but the psu and audio , i still got the same sound so at this point all that's left is the psu and mobo. as crappy as asus's tech support is they said they think the mobos at fault to. to rma it they want me to send it to them first i'm thinkin of returning the mobo and buying a new one so i would by pass not having a computer the whole time. i got like a 200 dollar budget for it , i need pci express , sata ports, ide, atx power supply and a amd chipset with am2 + socket and need support for phenom 9950 quad core. also 1066 ddr 2 ram.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us