Use speakerphone to spy on conversations?

Username: Me_too

Post Number: 1
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible for a company to dial into a speakerphone remotely and listen to workers conversations. If you know how this could work or know of any websites that show this please let me know. We just got upgraded to Cisco 7960 IP phones and want to know if it's possible. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Laziness and ignorance...

Post Number: 1278
lol I don't know if i want to ask but why do you want to do this?

Bentonville, Arkansas U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
Lol, I don't want to do this. I want to know if it can be done by management to listen to us. Some people in my office could be fired for the things they say if a manager is able to listen through the phones.

Post Number: 3
Also, if it's possible and we know how it works, we could potentially be able to block it.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Laziness and ignorance...

Post Number: 1280
so you were at work making long distance calls and talking shit about your boss in those calls and now you're worried if he listened in on those conversations or not?

Post Number: 4
No, we are being upgraded to these new speaker phones and it has been rumored that they will be able to listen to us without us knowing it. Noone knows for sure but we want to find out. The new phones aren't in commission yet but if they can hear us without us knowing it some people could be in some serious trouble. People trash talk the company and managers as well as use foul language just like any other place.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4198
not unless some one calls and you put it on speaker phone. Using it to spy on you secretly is called wire tapping and is a fedaral crime, Unless management discloses that all conversations on company property may be recorded or monitered.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17841
In my office when someone dials your speakerphone it give an audible beep, alerting you someone is listening.

If you're that nervous simply unplug your phone b4 you talk trash, or go elsewhere.

Companies track internet use at work all the time. Use that could get ppl fired. This is something different though. It's private speech. Too touchy a subject. What he WILL fire you for is for the excessive smoke breaks and continuous tardiness should he overhear something negative about him from you.

Post Number: 5
Yeah, our company tracks our internet use and tells you how many MB of usage you have consumed for the month along with the average MB usage of all employees. It also keeps track of all the websites you hit, including pop ups and ads, and how many times you hit them.

The whole reason for starting this post is because we had heard that the speaker phones could be accessed and used remotely without our knowledge. We had heard stories about other companies doing this and firing employees because of things being said even though they never knew they were being monitored. That's the main reason we were trying to find proof that this could or couldn't be done. With the line of work I'm in, I'm surrounded by extremely smart people that are capable of about anything when it comes to computers and I figure that the phones wouldn't be much of an obstacle if they wanted to listen in. It's next to impossible to get fired from here unless you become involved in a scandal and they need a scapegoat, but if they are able to hear some of the convo's that take place in here they could probably use it as grounds to terminate. We know that they can monitor while we are using the phone, we just don't know if they can monitor when the phone isn't in use. If they can, we'll just have to really watch what we say becaue we can't unplug the phones because we are a tech support call center.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4202
"we are a tech support call center."

and your here asking for tech support..lol.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6337
^^haha

but honestly if your that worried then dont talk sh;t about your job or boss at work. if you dont like things that much then find a new job. with new technology anything is possible but i dont know how legal it would be for them to tap in on your conversations.

Post Number: 6
We don't do tech support on telephones themselves so I wouldn't have a clue if this was possible.

This thread has gone in a different direction than I intended for it to. I don't trash talk the company or management. I left the company for a year and came back to work here. I like being here just fine. We were just wanting to know if it was possible and if so, if there was any proof or websites that show it so that we could base our suspicions off of more than just speculation. Thanks for all the responses though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us