Self/Home Defense

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1219
So what do you guys do to keep yourselves & your families safe? Sawed off shotgun? Prayer? Reason I ask is so I know who not to rob, and just plain curiosity.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16908
I live in a decent neighborhood and since I have kids guns are out of the question to me. In order to properly and safely store a gun from children conflicts with retrieving it quickly. Nosey retired neighbors and strong locks are all I've had the past 5 years and it's worked so far.

Did I mention I sell knives and swords in my spare time?

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1224
I'm a bit weary of guns myself, although I'm tempted to take a course in handling guns via the NRA just so I can know how to deal with one safely.

I'm actually lucky that the apartment I live in uses charlie bars on the sliding doors, deadbolted heavy metal doors, and windows that can be bolted shut. I still keep a bottle of pepper spray and a knuck-knife by the bed though, and I carry another shot of pepper spray with me along with my pocket knife where ever I go.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 15815
Being retired military...I have a few military weapons at my disposal (38, 9mm, AK47, M14, M16, shotguns, etc)...my #1 chioce of weapons are my German Shepherds for the home, and my 9mm for all ocassions (home and away)..I also have a bunch of inexpensive pepper sprayers located everywhere, from home, car, boat etc...fortunately I haven't had to actually fire the 9mm for defensive purposes since I retired, but have had to show it as a sign of " I ain't playing around" on a few unexpected incidents...but for the home, a good trained dog is usually the best deterrent to trouble and intruders..they keep the property, family , children all safe, protected, aware, and brings a sense of security and much pleasure to them and the dogs..

also I live in a Pleasantville type bedroom community with little to no crime, so that helps...but bring along one of the dogs with me often with some heat, when traveling or in unknown territories..also I never carry a wallet, and seldom carry cash, to entice any wannabee punks..

BTW...I'm not a gun freak, and never really liked em, but..I do love the canons on the A10's warthogs..

The ultimate best weapon is common sense, and using your head, along with a lil self protection classes for yourself and the family..but in a crisis, many just react instead of think first, which is not always bad, if taught how to think and react in participating in some martial arts classes...

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3242
Take your pick:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/working_group.cfm

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3773
Home alarm, dog, locks and a good ol' louisville slugger. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4431
just a dog and household items lol i dont want a gun around if and when i have kids either

Bronze Member
Username: 4realadeala

Tampa, Florida

Post Number: 48
I am disappointed in the anti-gun people. There is always a place to put them that kids can not access. Besides if you teach them gun safety at the right age, unless they are a little slow on the learning side they should not mess with them. And by the way for all the home intruders out there I have a Glock 21 (45 cal) with 13 waiting and if they try to run the 308 ak47 is sure to hit them at a few hundred yards. I also have 25 rounds at my disposal for missing.

If I have hurt any of your feelings (scared of gun guys) I don't blame you, we live in a world that tries to make it seem like guns are horrible things, as if they can just go off by themselves. One analogy I particularly like is "If guns cause murder than pencils cause misspelled words." No need to worry though, if Obama wins guns will be history anyway.

p.s. McCain sucks too, vote third party, unless Ron Paul is on the ballot then vote for the true constitutionalist.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3811
Fact is, kids are curious, even if you teach them right. Why even risk it? What would be the use for me to put a gun in a locked safe and not be able to get to it in time when there is an intruder? In my situation (having kids) I choose not to have any guns cause the risks greatly outweigh the positive. You cant argue that ALL kids that have had shooting incidents are poorly parented. Its just not the case.

Dont get it twisted, I am not against guns. I grew up on a farm and we had many guns. We were taught gun safety and all that good stuff. Guess what? My brother shot me. Yes it was a bb gun. That bb split my knuckle in two and stayed in my hand by my wrist. I had to have surgery to remove all the bone fragments and bb and I had to go through 2 months of physical therapy. God forbid something were to happen to one of my kids.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15820
Guns are OK, even with kids around...just like anything (TV, internet etc), the parents have to control their access...yes that means locking em up...no biggie to do..usually when needed, ya have time to open up the locks, while the dog is barking and chewing up intruder's legs and balls...or the sneaky intruders are sleazing around the house, trying to be slick...

BTW...I just bought a cheap Honeywell $39 digital(6-9# coded) double bolted safe from walmart.com online that no kid is gonna/can break into, and will hold .55 cu ft, (small microwave), fit under the bed or wherever, bolt to floor if ya want, and will hold most any handguns and some valuables along with them..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16945
I'm not afraid of guns either. I've fired my fair share in my day. You just hear the stories and I'm not taking the gamble, regardless of teaching kids the rules/precautions.

I compare it to me selling my cycle. I've been riding for 20 years. Owned 4 different bikes and had my falls/accidents. Now that I'm a single parent I can't take the chance of an "unfortunate" accident out of my control causing my son to have to feed me or worse visit me at the cemetery. When they are older I'll buy another bike and enjoy it again. For now, it's just not worth losing everything for. I choose to take that chance out of the equation.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6424
Good locks, know your neighbors, and a Remington 11/87 Premier.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16955
Ya know, funny thing about locks and security is.......

Most break-ins occur when you're most likely at work or away. Thieves don't want any confrontation.

Most invest in steel doors and great locks. I do too. I also heard of azzholes taking chainsaws to the side of your house while you're away to get in. Takes one minute to cut the hole. If your house is off of the road who is going to call the police when they hear a chainsaw during the day lol?

I hate thieves.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3248
"and if they try to run the 308 ak47 is sure to hit them at a few hundred yards."

Perfect example of WHY guns ARE such a problem in this country. Civilian gun ownership should be available for defense of oneself and their loved ones.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of morons out there who think they're some kind of vigilante bada$s who has the right to throw down punishment or enforce the law.

If you're sniping someone out from hundreds of yards away, you are no longer defending yourself, you are just trying to kill someone because you think they deserve it, and that's not your decision to make.

Nothing personal towards you John Jay, I don't know if you meant that you would literally do that, or if you were just trying to paint a picture of thorough preparedness.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6270
if they come onto my property i have the right to shoot and kill them if im threated , got to love florida.

there are stories of people breaking in falling breaking a leg and sueing the people whose house he broke into. he cant sue me if there is a bullet threw his chest.

in this day and age having a gun risks out weigh the risks of not having one if you ask me.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15821
Actually in Florida, the laws were changed drastically a few years ago...NO longer is it necesssary to have an intruder come on your property...or use force ONLY if threatened at home..

No matter WHERE U are, if U feel that your life is in danger ANYPLACE, it could be the Walmart parking lot, U as a civilian , have the constitutional right to use DEADLY force ( gun, weapon, whatever) to prevent anybody from doing U or your family harm... and U do NOT have the need to run and withdraw..

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1226
FWIW statistics are that people are more likely to die in a bicycle/tricycle accident than in a gun accident, and that it is a million to one shot of a kid getting killed in a gun accident, per statistics cited by the NRA.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=120

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6275
hell LK thats even better. and the antigun/violence people can say what they want but its not like it is abused. people dont just walk around killing eachother other then the blacks and drug realted stuff.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1228
Regardless of what you think of the NRA, I think their "Issues" page is an interesting read.

As far as the Florida law goes, I have no problems with it. It only codifies common sense: eg if someone breaks into my house/car/whatever or attacks me in a manner where a reasonable person would feel his life was in danger, I have the right to use deadly force to keep myself and my family safe. In spite of what some people might think, that doesn't mean you can legally kill the minority you passed in the hall for looking at you funny...

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8192
I whip out my pen1s and the robber and or thief just leaves in jealousy.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4085

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5996
Upload

That guy should REALLY put the fear in the hearts of home intruders and car jackers. Thanks, Ehren!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5997
Guns FTW.

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 627
guns s^ck i got a couple hand grenades and a rocket launcher i can use

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3251
"That guy should REALLY put the fear in the hearts of home intruders and car jackers. Thanks, Ehren!"

My pleasure. And if it doesn't, they'll learn not to judge a book by its cover when a 100lb+ komondor bites their face off.

They're really good guard dogs dude.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5999
haha, i'm just playing. i doubt it could even see someone to bite them. and dogs aren't vicious are they?

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1229
Given that its a dog that was bred to guard livestock against predators such as wolves, I suspect it can be pretty vicious when called to be.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3254
Vicious? No. Willing sacrifice their own well being to protect their beloved pack members from danger? YES!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6000
sounds like they could be dangerous. ill stick with a gun.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4043
I'm Asian, I know kung fu.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16999
I'm part Irish. I can throw empty beer bottles like nobody's business.

Silver Member
Username: Jblsince1989

Post Number: 107
I use a fuckoff microwave oven! I'll just shove the c(u)nts head into microwave oven!

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Bouncedatbooty

Post Number: 10
I hope Ricky never takes up the martial arts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSPvQ2Kb484
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us