Colonizing the moon

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20072
very interesting. all the things you see in movies in the past is slowly actually happening.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9187
Thats wild. Very interesting how we can turn moon dust into water on Earth, but how would we do it up there?

Curious to see what happens within the next couple years with this.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9190
Forgot to change my name back.....My bad :-)

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3698
Yeah that's very cool. We are also working very hard on Mars as well.

Yanks, I was thinking: "Damn, Rob is so thoughtful and well-spoken today". Lol.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9192
"Yanks, I was thinking: "Damn, Rob is so thoughtful and well-spoken today". Lol."

Lol

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 894
That's really sweet.. i had no idea that program even existed.

Also when the guy said "nasa-r" made me laugh.. lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15780
I was half way through the vid when I reminded myself the key to life anywhere as we know is water. Then.....bam! They show how to get it from the moon's surface.

Sad thing now is who can get there first and stake a claim on it. You know it's going to happen. Humans are territorial and greedy by nature.

Star (moon) wars here we come.

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9195
I can see it now....people fighting in slow motion on the moon lol.

On a more serious note, it will probably cause some sort of international conflict with one of the other major nations who look beyond Earth for new land....ie, Japan, Russia, Germany, etc. Hopefully instead of fighting, something would be done peacefully

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15659
^^^We can only be so hopeful :-)

The sad part is that our technology evolve faster than we, as human beings do. :-(

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8818
maybe we will finally find those aliens ...ok ill watch the video now

Gold Member

Post Number: 8819
That is sweet how they can make water from moon dust

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3805
Let me know when they can make beer from moon rocks. They realy need to develope the space elavator to make it feasible to venture off earth. With the elavator and a moon base, it will be easier to go where no man has gone before.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15800
The shuttle was Nasa's biggest breakthrough in the space program because of the reusable launch and reentry vehicle.

With the current mission cost for each launch at $450 million and the cost per pound of cargo at $10,000 it will be some time before any member or their kids on this board could afford a trip.

The program is still impressive.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 20123
yeah and i am glad my tax money is being put to good use. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2730
you can't make an elevator to the moon because the moon is not a geosynchronous satellite. would be nice though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15806
Me at 6'2" and 200lbs it would set me back $2 mil to get my azz in orbit.

I say wait till I pass and send a half an ounce of my ashes up. That's only $312.50. I can swing that.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15807
"you can't make an elevator to the moon because the moon is not a geosynchronous satellite. would be nice though."

You know how far the moon from the earth is lol? Roughly 239,000 miles, or about 30 widths of Earth.

Even fishing wire that long would take up an unbelievable amount of space. An elevator or tunnel wouldn't even be fathomable.

But we all knew that lol.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3806
Well, An elavator to to speak would not go to the moon. As implied, it would go in to space. ie. just outside earths atmophere. One end would be secured to the ground, the other end would be positioned that it would not be effeted by earths gravity, and the rotational enercia from the earths spin would keep the other end taunt. Thus a permanent "elevator" to space. Most of the cost with going to space is the exiting of the earths gravity. Once free of it, very little fuel is needed to propel an spaceship around. Supplies could be hoisted and picked up and dropped be a fleet of spaceships to the moon making a base feasible.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict ... Level 2 pre...

Post Number: 2375
pwned

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15820
^^^Would work once they rid Earth's atmosphere of all the space junk floating around that would constantly hammer it.

The junk has been accumulating since what, the 60's?

Gold Member

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2731
who got pwned?

for the record, everything is affected by the earth's gravity. when you say, fastened to the ground, do you mean the surface of the moon?

regardless, if it were fastened to the moon, the elevator would have to be shared by everyone, as it would never be in the same spot. if it were fastened to the earth, we would have to wait for the earth and moon to line up.

also, it would not be a permanent elevator as the moon moves farther and farther away from the earth each year.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3808
"Well, An elavator to to speak would not go to the moon. As implied, it would go in to space"

Man, Its the opening sentance...
I think you just got pwned.

Upload

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 9209
Lets be serious, how thick would the elevator shaft (hehe, I said shaft) have to be in order to prevent it from breaking. It would have to be REALLY thick in order for the shaft to not be flimsy and be bothered by the wind.....its impossible to do regardless

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3809
well, Im not going into it. But yes it is possible with nano tube constuction and new high strenght fibers. The space end would be at such distant X, as to make the "Shaft" balenced. the amount of pull from enercia, would be nuetral to the amount of pull, making it self sopporting.
200 years ago ppl like yous would have thought the world was flat. Impossible to sail around.

read about it here if you want real facts.
Nova is a very reliable source.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3401/02.html

Gold Member

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2732
still don't see how I got "pwned" but whatever.

"it would go in to space"

"One end would be secured to the ground"

there is not 'ground' in space, you pwned yourself:-)

Gold Member

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2733
inertia>enercia

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict ... Level 2 pre...

Post Number: 2379
lol i was just generalizing it Thieves, nobody direct. just seemed funny to me :P

Gold Member

Post Number: 8838
"Let me know when they can make beer from moon rocks."

LOL

Me at 6'2" and 200lbs it would set me back $2 mil to get my azz in orbit.

I say wait till I pass and send a half an ounce of my ashes up. That's only $312.50. I can swing that.

LOL

I saw on tv where nasa was designing a shuttle type device that went up to the moon by gravitational properties (no fuel involved i think) Im not sure if anyone talked about that or if that video talks about it because i have dial up and it would take forever to load...definitely interesting

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3810
ok, you ever see a cell phone tower? well picture one that just keeps going up. piece by piece put on top, till it goes beyond earths atmosphere. Then keep building it higher till (inertia) starts to pull on it. keep building a little more to the point that the pull from inercia is equal to the pull of gravity. Thus the structure becomes neutral weight. Then a cable tied to the top pulls cargo into space. where a shuttle can pick it up and deliver it.

Even dumbed down more.
Go read "jack and the beanstalk" But put miraicle grow on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us