VCR Repair Question

E. L. Hoover
Sharp Model VC-A5210U
I was watching TV and recording at the same time. I was viewing through the VCR mode. Picture flashed in and out several times. Blue screen would appear. (This happened in the last 5 minutes of our movie) I stopped recording and played back the last portion of the video. Video had recorded everything including the flashing in and out of the signal.

I turned the VCR off for the night. The next day I tried to view the TV through the VCR mode and I couldn't get a picture or sound, only blue screen. I tried to run the auto program to reset the channels but it will not run. It appears that it is not receiving a signal. I unplugged the unit and left it unplugged for several hours. I thought it might reset itself, but no luck.

When the VCR is in TV Mode or the power is off, I can view all my cable channels just fine.

Do you have any ideas as to the problem and a possible solution?
Thanks for your time and help.

Lee Mitchell
It does appear that you're not getting a signal. The problem might be with the tuner in the VCR. If that's the case you would have to weigh the cost of repair vs. buying a new one. With prices so low today it usually pays to buy a new one. You didn't say how much that one cost. I did a search and couldn't find the model number so it appears to be an older model.

If you do buy a new one, don't get rid of the old one. It appears that it still plays and records. You could still use it as a player or as a second machine to make copies of tapes. You just wouldn't be able to record off the air.

Hope this helps.......Lee

Sunday June 8,2003
I bought a new panasonic tv 37 inch. it has a special input video which plays dvd's I HAVE A JVC vcr When I set up the recorder to record on the timer it records ch.2 reguardless of what chanel I choose. If I record on the manual by seting the chanel on the VCR manually
and start it manually
What can be done to correct this?????

Sunday June 8,2003
I bought a new panasonic tv 37 inch. it has a special input video which plays dvd's I HAVE A JVC vcr When I set up the recorder to record on the timer it records ch.2 reguardless of what chanel I choose. If I record on the manual by seting the chanel on the VCR manually
and start it manually
What can be done to correct this?????

I forgot to add that whwen I start it manually it is ok and records the channel i enter.

i have a rca vcr m#vr557.the problem i have is thart when i put in a vidio to play.it stop playing after 2 or 3 second,and it tune off.can you help me please.i just got it about 9 month ago new.

Unregistered guest
I have a Broksonic Color TV-VCR Combination, the tv works fine on everystation, but when I put a tape in the VCR the sound is perfect but the screen is all fuzzy. It is not a problem with the stations, and has only started doing this recently. What can I do to fix this?

Unregistered guest
July 09, 2004 Ottawa, Canada

I have two RCA Vcrs. Both of them are 4 years old. Last one week I have a problem with both VCRs.

1. when I record and replay, the cassette automaticaly play in FF mode with screetch noise and horizontal lines appear on the screen.

2. Tape in the cassette have line marks on it. It has waves on the tape side.

second VCR. When I load the cassette, the video stops and Err message appears. "Err" and nothing else. manually I can reload and play for sometime. But unable to run with remote.

Please suggest repair and rectify this problem.

Thanks and regards

yours truly

hare krishna mani

Anonymous

I have a 20" Broksonic TV (combo TV, VCR, DVD)MODEL SC-20145 Series B...no cable...I bought it three months ago and the manufacturer's warranty has already expired..now, there is simply NO power at all..it simply will not switch on...I've tried all the outlets in my apartment, and EVERYTHING else works fine,except this TV...what can be the culprit???

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 171
There is a fuse inside, if it's not that the power supply is bad, kinda common on TV/VCR combos.

Unregistered guest
I have a mitsubishi HS-U420 vcr, I have had it for more more than 2 years, my problem with my vcr
is that when I turn it on and put a video in it, and I push play it only plays for about four seconds,then it stops playin. the vcr stills stays on it just plays for a while, and stops.the buttons work fine. If you can can help me please reply to my letter
thank you
sincerly william

Unregistered guest
I have a mitsubishi HS-U420 vcr, I have had it for more more than 2 years, my problem with my vcr
is that when I turn it on and put a video in it, and I push play it only plays for about four seconds,then it stops playin. the vcr stills stays on it just plays for a while, and stops.the buttons work fine. If you can can help me please reply to my letter
thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
Take the cover off and see if the right tape reel turns.

Unregistered guest
Hello,
I have a Sharp VC-A560. The problem is that I put a tape in and it plays fine. I hear the sound but I am not getting any picture. Do you know what is wrong with it? Can it be repair?

Thanks,

Andrew M.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
90% of the time sound and no picture means it needs cleaned.

AndrewM
Unregistered guest
Oh ok Thanks David
Just one thing How you clean the vcr?

Thanks,
Andrew M.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
You can try a head cleaner, they don't work very good though. It takes a special chamois to clean the heads.

Unregistered guest
I purchased a 13 in Panasonic TV/ VCR combo, PV -C 1322 My son dropped coins inside the tape slot and now I cant't see no picture and the VCR doesn't make its usual sound. It is dead. I opened it up and nothing moves. I am thinking it might be a fuse of some kind. the "on" light doesn't even come on. What can be the problem?.
Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
There should be a fuse in the power supply, but the power supply usually goes before the fuse though. Panasonic is one of the few companies that use IC protecters. They act like a fuse, but you can't see them like a regular fuse, they are circuit board mounted and look like a transistor. I don't know if there is anything you can do yourself if that is what it is, but they only cost $1 or so.

Unregistered guest
Hello, I also have an rca m# VR557 vcr and it has the same problem, when I put in a tape it stops and says Err. I have to turn it off, then on again which ejects the tape, then I push it back in and pray it will work=) 95% of the time it doesn't though... Also the remote that came with that vcr... it's a universal. I want to program it to work with my citizen tv. I've searched all over for codes but havn't found any that work, I may just be doing it wrong though. I've been holding in the "tv" button while I put in the code, then releasing and trying to turn it on and off with the power button but no luck - any suggestions?

Anonymous

I have a RCA TV/VCR Combination model T20005BK.
The power will not come on. It has a timer light that just keeps flashing. No sound No picture.

Unregistered guest
I own a Broksonic TV VCR combo. I misplaced the manual. I have Direct TV! I can't figure out how to tape TV programs. I do the original remote. Can someone help me?

Unregistered guest
I have a TV/VCR combo, and the VCR recently ate a tape I tried to play. I was able to take the tape out by taking apart the TV, but I still have problems. When I try to turn the TV on, it says is still in AV mode, displays Eject, and then turns itself back off. I think it is a problem with the VCR part, can I disconnect it?

Unregistered guest
Hi I have a problem with my VCR. I record something and after when I try to play it, the picture doesnt show but there is sound of what i recorded. So whatever is on the tv that picture is there and the sound of what i recorded plays. How dod I fix this?

utham
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have a Panasonic VCR - 4 years old.When I inserted the tape last time, the VCR suddenly turned off. I had to open and take teh tape out manually as it was not ejecting it out. Now it is not accepting tape either and automatically turns off in few seconds after the power turned on.Can anybody let me know what could be wrong?
Thanks
Raj

Anonymous

When I turn my VCR on, I can see a picture, but I can't hear anything, no matter how high the volume setting is. What should I do!!!

Anonymous

I have a symphonic tv vcr combo. Some thing is wrong with the vcr. when I put a tape in to play it cuts out shutting off the whole tv. even if I cant fix the vcr myself I was wondering if there is anyway to disconnect the vcr. so that i can use the tv without it. When I turn on the tv it says on the screen eject and the power cuts out so tv shuts off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 725
The tuner is in the VCR circuits, you can't disconnect the VCR and use the TV.

Unregistered guest
Hi

I have a Panasonic NV-SV121EB VCR, was watching a tape last night and accidentially pressed the wrong button (think it was the I-TIMER button), which switched the VCR off displaying EL-1 and the time and nothing reverses this. The VCR has now frozen with this displayed. I switched it off over night hoping it would reset itself but the EL part remains with the time now flashing 0:00. Does anyone know what has happened?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
Did you try pressing the timer button again?

Unregistered guest
yes!! several times, no other button works either. I've pressed everything!!! Its like it has been switched off and can't be switched back on again

lulu
Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi TV/VCR combo. I put in a rental when it just stoped and made a weird noise and the tv turned off after a few seconds. When I turn it on the vcr won't work, still makes the noise and shuts off the tv. I have no clue as to how to take out the tape. I tried to see if I could take the tv apart but no clue as to where to open it. There is only two screws at the very bottom and that's it. Does anyone know how to fix this with out opening the tv? I'm afraid I'll break the tv if I do.

Please tell me.
Unregistered guest
I just bought a 13''TV with VCR.But it doesn't well.Tv suddendly shut down when I was playing cassette several time.But,It is OK that I use the same cassette in the other VCR.I don't know why. Because it is cheap or it's the quality?

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
TV/VCR combos are cheap junk.

dsarg
Unregistered guest
I have an inexpensive Panasonic VCR that I use to record programs through an antenna (not cable). When I play back the tape, the image jumps back and forth between an image of the show I recorded and a blue screen. It switches back and forth every second--the show is completely unwatchable. But when I fast forward or rewind, the image is fine. I can see everything, so I know that the VCR captured the entire video stream. It just can't play it back in real time. Nor can any other VCR play it in real time--I tried playing the tape on a different VCR and had the identical results. Pressing the tracking button doesn't seem to help. Does anyone have any idea what causes this problem and whether there is a solution? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
It either needs cleaned or it's out of alignment.

Bronze Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 22
It's most likely out of alignment, I had a VCR that did the same thing and I took it in to be repaired and that was the problem.

panama city dave
Unregistered guest
The reel sensors getting dirty will shut one down.
they are the 2 sensors on each side of the cassette carriage with a LED in the middle. Sometimes you can take a can of air, lift the cassette door and spray each side of the carriage.

Panama City Dave
Unregistered guest
that was a response for Please tell me on Mar 30

Silver Member

Post Number: 844
The sensors you talk about are tape end sensors, not reel sensors. I've never seen one get dirty and not work. Reel sensors are under the tape reels, some VCRs use 1 and some use 2.

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic NV-HD670. I put a tape in and it played fine, then i put it in again a couple of minutes later and i couldnt see a picture or hear anything, and the player was flashing ED where the speed (lp or sp) usually is. How do i fix that? Any ideas??

Silver Member

Post Number: 877
Unplug it and plug it back in.

Anonymous

The TV channels do not show on the VCR, that is the viewing cannot be shown through the VCR but only through the normal TV channels.

What do I do?

Silver Member

Post Number: 990
If it's on screen programming, go into the setup menus and select cable or antenna, whichever you have, then autoprogram the channels.

Unregistered guest
Reference Panasonic TV-VCR combo,moel PV-C2062. Tape is stuck within and will not eject. Would appreciate help on how to resolve the problem. Thank you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 998
Unplug it and plug it back in.

Unregistered guest
My Tv/VCR has serveral problems. First of all it's a Philips Magnavox . The VCR part will not rewind and eats the tape trying to rewind and then shuts off and ejects it. then the VCR won't play the tapes anymore after I cleaned it with a VCR head cleaner it just shuts off and ejects it.It also gives error codes such as T eject D eject and other ones. Model CCA132ATO1 SERIAL 18845637 MANUFACTURED AUGUST 1999 V333 What do they mean and How can I fix my VCR?

Unregistered guest
My Tv/VCR has serveral problems. First of all it's a Philips Magnavox . The VCR part will not rewind and eats the tape trying to rewind and then shuts off and ejects it. then the VCR won't play the tapes anymore after I cleaned it with a VCR head cleaner it just shuts off and ejects it.It also gives error codes such as T eject D eject and other ones. Model CCA132ATO1 SERIAL 18845637 MANUFACTURED AUGUST 1999 V33 What do they mean and How can I fix my VCR?

Anonymous

I have a JVC vcr. I recorded a show last night and when I got home to replay it, I couldn't hear the sound but could see the picture of the movie I recorded. Everytime on my remote I hit tv/vcr button, the sound cuts off of regular tv and then when I hit it again, the sounds come back. How can I fix this?

Anonymous

i have a symphonic TV/VCR combo. It will power on for about four seconds then power off. The fuse is fine and the problem happens with and without the VCR connected. Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
I have a broksonic tv-vcr combo, the problem: a black screen appears on a few channels after on for about 15 seconds. What is this? Lost the manual - (the sound continues) Help!

Unregistered guest
i have a broksonic tv/vcr 19" combo and can not get all channels on it. it sits in the same place as last, with same antenna, (dont do cable) and channels after 10 do not get accepted. i tried auto channel scan as well as adding individually, and nothing. i do notice the menu does not offer the regular ant receiver position, just tv or cabtv. does anyone know how to fix as of course i can't find the manual or the site has no answers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
Is it set to TV and not cable?

tutter
Unregistered guest
My VCR has snow - no picture or sound in playback, but picture normal in FF and REW. Is this a cleaning issue and if so what is best way to clean heads?
thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1153
As far as picture, it's probably cleaning. I've never seen hifi heads get dirty enough to not produce audio, I suppose it's possible though.

mjene
Unregistered guest
Hello I have a Magnavox vcr #VRT364 (about 10 yrs old). The sound is garbled on playback. The sound eventually comes in ok, but after a time there is no sound at all. Do you recommend repair or do you suggest throwing it away? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1162
Is it crinkling the bottom edge of the tape?

Anonymous

I have a symphonic TV/VCR combo, AC/DC for use in the car. It's about two years old. The tapes and TV play fine but there is no sound at all, whether using the VCR or just the TV. I had only used the system two or three times when the problem occurred. Any quick fixes out there?

Anonymous

We cannot seem to find the correct remote code for a universal remote we bought. The TV/VCR combo we are trying to link to is the RCA T20005BK. I was even able to track down the original remote product number if that helps. The remote can be found as VSQS1306 p/n 218882. Just need the original code because I am getting less functionality with the standard RCA codes.

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic PVC 2011 TV/VCR combo. I can see the video but it does not get a signal from the cable. What could possibly be wrong.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1276
Autoprogram the channels, take it off line.

Unregistered guest
I have two VCR's I put the same tape into them but now the only thing you hear is the tape playing and the Tv screen just show Tatic.what do I do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1283
Is there audio?

sdfgg
Unregistered guest
This problem has been posted by various people throughout this thread but has never been ANSWERED. I have a VCR that when turned on says "Eject C" then turns to "Stop" the shuts off after a few seconds. What can be done? I DON'T NEED IT for watching A VIDEO JUST TO PLAY VIdeo games. HOW DO I KEEP it on without IT shutting off???

lizdexia
Unregistered guest
I have an old Hitachi VF330A-stereo VCR that has worked well for years. But recently, I've tried to play tapes that others have recorded (of TV shows, etc.), and although they work on other (newer) machines, I get only a picture -- no sound at all. On one home-recorded tape, the sound plays only until the end of one program, and not on the next. My machine plays EP, LP and SP -- is there a new tape recording speed that my machine won't play, and is that why I'm not getting sound on those tapes? All other tapes, that I record or rent or have bought, still work fine.
Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
vcr will not come to life, after a power cut,please, any sggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1325
Check the fuse.

Timothy S.
Unregistered guest
Still no response...Does anyone have any ideas. We cannot seem to find the correct remote code for a universal remote we bought. The TV/VCR combo we are trying to link to is the RCA T20005BK. I was even able to track down the original remote product number if that helps. The remote can be found as VSQS1306 p/n 218882. Just need the original code because I am getting less functionality with the standard RCA codes. Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1372
Universal remotes are pretty limited with combos. Buy a One For All, if that doesn't work you're SOL.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony EV A50 play back deck. The sound is fine. The picture is perfect except at the
bottom of the screen is a thin horizontal snowy line. It comes and goes. Any ideas Thankyou

Gold Member

Post Number: 1382
Adjust the tracking.

Unregistered guest
I have a Zeinth TV-VCR combo. I get sound OK but no picture its all fuzzy also it will not rewind or fast forward and it dosent make the usual sound. plus it tales 5 seconds to eject it. but satillite works perfectly

David K. Kelley
Unregistered guest
A friend videotaped a program on Showtime at SP speed. The tape is a Sony T-120 Standard Grade. When I attempted to play it on my VCR, all I got was a blue screen and no sound. Fast-forwarding produced "snow." I tried it on my other TV and VCR with the same result. I tried it on a friend's TV and VCR with the same result. I took one of my videotapes and recorded a program at home at SP to see if I could play it back; it worked with no problem.

Do you have any ideas what the problem is?

Thank you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1605
Sounds like there's nothing on the tape.

Woman In Need!
Unregistered guest
I have a TV/VCR combo and i have a tape stuck inside. I try lifting up on the tape because that usually works. Well, not this time. Now that the tape is stuck in there my TV turns off after about 5 secs. PLEASE HELP! Thanks! Woman In Need!!! my email address is jellyzbabygurl@yahoo.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1611
If it's a Funai, most of them are, unplug it and take the back off. At the back of the mechanical assembly, on the side on newer ones, there will be a motor and pulley, turn it by hand until you see the guides start to move back, then plug it in and the guides should come back and the tape should come out. Stay away from anything inside when it's plugged in, TVs run very high voltage.

David K. Kelley
Unregistered guest
Thank you, Mr. Massey. The possibility that my friend had inadvertently not recorded anything had not even occurred to me. I shall return the tape to him and ask him to play it on his VCR and advise me whether the program is on the tape. Thank you for your quick response.

Chantal
Unregistered guest
I have a Daewoo 4 head VCR when I press the play button I don't see and hear nothing but a blue screen. I know the tape is playing because I can hear the vcr working when I press either stop, rewind or ffwd.
Today I press the program button, I can hear the sound but no pictures. When I press the program button again to take the menu off the screen the tv screen return to blue again without any pictures or sound.

Please help!

Anonymous

I have a Symphonic tv/vcr combo and when I turn on the tv and try to put in a movie it will not go in and the tv says Eject "T" and shuts off after about 1 min. Can someone Please tell me what I can do to fix this. Thanks

Woman In Need!
Unregistered guest
No my tv/vcr combo is a magnavox and it still has the tape in it and i tried unplugging it and everything but it still doesnt work ... is there any hope?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1644
Almost all Magnavox TV/VCRs are Funai, a few early to mid 90s were Panasonic.

Anonymous

What is the best way to clear vcr heads? I have a 2 yr old VCR / DVD combo and recently anything I tape is now showing a picture that rolls and breaks up. Sound is perfect. the problem is recent and my guess is dirty heads?? Or could it be something else? (cable picture is great and the tape played on another vcr displays the same bad quality taped show)...help? :-)

reilly of NJ
Unregistered guest
I have located the problem: a small piece of white plastic that held the left roller in position. I can hook the plastic back to the roller but cant reach the inside connection. Any ideas?

It a Sharp 4 head about 3 years old.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1652
To clean heads you need a chamois made for head cleaning, anything else can damage the heads. Chemtronics are the only good ones I've seen.

Unregistered guest
I have a Philips Magnavox VCR that currently won't spit out the tape that is inside. It sounds like it tries to do something, then the time display changes to the number two and it shuts down. Ideas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1702
Open it and turn the pulley in the back of the mechanical assembly, it's on the right side on newer models, till the guides start to move, then plug it in and the guides should come back and the tape should eject.

Ostdiek1
Unregistered guest
Thanks

Unregistered guest
Followup question, if you don't mind. Do you have any opinion on whether this is a "just one of those things" problem that isn't overly likely to recur, or is this something where we should expect that this problem will continue to happen?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1709
It usually happens when the mode switch goes bad. It may happen on the next tape, or it may not happen again for a month. If it is the mode switch, it will happen again sometime.

N Zorn
Unregistered guest
Both of my VCRs do this-I record a show, and when I play it back, the sound is so low I can't hear it, or the volume goes up and down. Raising the volume does nothing. Someone told me that if the show is digital, that the VCR isn't picking up all the tracks, and I need a newer model VCR. Does this make any sense?

Unregistered guest
I have a 13" Citizen ac/dc tv/vcr combo and the TV suddenly stopped responding to the remote about a week ago. I've tried the Samsung 19" tv/vcr combo remote and still no response. I know the remote works because the citizen and samsung remotes are interchangeable. Help!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 24
"I have a 13" Citizen ac/dc tv/vcr combo and the TV suddenly stopped responding to the remote about a week ago. I've tried the Samsung 19" tv/vcr combo remote and still no response. I know the remote works because the citizen and samsung remotes are interchangeable. Help!!!!!"

First, try unplugging the television and leaving it unplugged for several minutes. If the syscon bus is loaded with corrupt data, resetting the syscon will clear it and may correct any opeational trouble associated with it.

If that doesn't work, then the TV/VCR may have had a cold solder joint develop on the infrared sensor. Either that, or the sensor may be faulty.

Either way, the set will have to be opened up and serviced. You may have to take it to a reputable repair shop. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
I recorded a show on my VCR and when I played it back the picture keeps jumping and has horizontal lines. I tried pressing the tracking, but that does nothing. I put a movie in and it played just fine. What could the problem be?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1838
What brand is it? Was the movie the same speed as the recording? There are 2 sets of heads on a 4-head VCR, two for SP and two for LP/EP, one set can need cleaned and the other set work fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
"I recorded a show on my VCR and when I played it back the picture keeps jumping and has horizontal lines. I tried pressing the tracking, but that does nothing."

What is the condition of the tape that you were using?

Also, is the problem repeatable? - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
I have a Zeinth (XBV342) DVD & VHS player. I but in a dvd to watch and must have hit the wrong button and now all it shows is progressive scan mode. I do not know how to get rid of it to watch any dvd's. Please help.
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1855
If there isn't a 480i/480p switch in the back of the unit, you need to reset the player. Try pressing each button on the player, not the remote, for about 10 seconds, usually with the power on. If that doesn't work, contact the manufacterer and find out how to reset it.

Username: Jay_bird

Post Number: 1
I have a LG v8824w dual vcr/dvd player. the vcr now won't play sound but we can see the picture clearly, also we can't hear the TV if running it through the vcr. We can play dvd's no problem and the TV works fine stand alone. I suspect one of my children hit some buttons but I dont' know what or how to fix the sound. Any ideas? also how do I put the child lock on it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1899
Need to know connections. Make sure the VCR isn't on SAP.

Unregistered guest
Alright, might as well ask.
I have a Magnavox something or other. Very old. Just a few weeks ago I was watching a tape, in perfect clarity, when the video went all staticy. It looked as if the tracking had gone off, but that wasn't it. I think it was partly the tape, as I tried it on another Magnavox, and it did the same, but cleared up after a moment. Except that the other VCR won't play any video correctly anymore.
yeah, I read through all the above, and it could be the "reel sensors" and whatnot..I opened it up and tried cleaning everything out, to no avail. Whatever it is, I just wanna know if it's fixable at the moment.

Unregistered guest
oh, I should add that the sound still works perfectly.

hobojones
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony VCR #SLV-N55 which has decided to not accept my tapes and I don't know why. When I put a tape in it doesn't go anywhere. Can this be repaired without spending alot of money or should I just purchase another VCR?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1922
Sony carriages get out of alignment. It probably just needs a couple of gears aligned. How much they will charge to fix it, I don't know.

Unregistered guest
I have a Daewoo 6head hifi vcr that is suddenly giving a strange problem.
1) If I play an old commercial or home tap, all is well -- no problems
2) If I play a recent commercial tape, the picture flashes on for a second and then I get a blue screen, no sound. If press the setup menu, while the tape is playing, the sound comes along with the set up menu items, but if I press setup again to get out of the menu, no sound and blue screen. If you pause the tape, some of the time the still picture does come on -- sometimes with some delay.
Very peculiar. I wonder if this has to do with indexing, or some features of the VCR -- have disconnected it and let it sit so it resets, but this has not helped. Head cleaning has not helped.
Will appreciate any ideas
Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a mid range Sony VCR that is 6 or 7 years old, but has only had a moderate amount of use. I typically record in SP and have had no problems. When I record in EP, the playback is intermittent. The picture cuts out for a few seconds at a time, and a blue screen is displayed. The tape is still running, as it is later in the tape when it comes back. The counter does not increment while the blue screen shows. Fast forwarding shows a picture, and it (sort of) plays on another vcr, so the recording function seems to be working. SP playback still works fine subsequent to the problem. Using a head cleaner does not seem to help. Any ideas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1981
Try cleaning the audio/control heads with a q-tip wet with alcohol. They are the stationary heads on the right side of the drum assembly, between the drum and capstan.

GregRinVancouver
Unregistered guest
Thankyou, I'll try that.

Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi HS-U50 vcr, recently it won't rewind tapes, seems to slip? It will rewind/search at both speeds in the play mode though. Everything else about this vcr works great.
Where do I start? Please help,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gold Member

Post Number: 1995
The U50 still used a rubber tire for REW/FF, it needs replaced. It's not a real easy task on that VCR. It still works in play because it uses a gear in play/search modes.

Unregistered guest
Thanks David, now do you know if parts are still available for the U50? It's about 15 years old. We looked in our phone book today and only found 1 electronics repair shop. How critical and/or could anything else happen or be affected if we don't fix it?

Thank you

Tomas
Unregistered guest
I have a Symphonic TV/VCR combo and when I turn it on EJECT is displayed and after about 1 minute it shuts off. I've taken out the VCR portion and everything else works fine, within the 1 minute increments. Have you found out anything about your problem?

Tomas
Unregistered guest
I have a Symphonic TV/VCR combo and when I turn it on EJECT is displayed and after about 1 minute it shuts off. I've taken out the VCR portion and everything else works fine, within the 1 minute increments. Have you found out anything about your problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
I'm willing to bet that your TV/VCR likely has an advance/timing issue.

There are a few things that go wrong with Funai chassis VCR decks that causes all sorts of crazy things, such as a failed IR emitter for end-of-tape sensing as well as working through a prism that is part of the mode detection system for the syscon circuit (the part that tells the VCR where it is mechanically). Also, for this component, the prism is known to break sometimes.

However, there are variations of this chassis that use an electrical contact mode switch instead. That switch can get dirty and not properly report the mechanical mode of the VCR to the syscon.

You may also have a pulley that's driven by a belt turned by an advance motor on the upper left corner of the deck that can become dislodged and not allow the mechanism to engage properly.

All in all, a repair is possible but the deck is really cheap. It's possible that it may not be worth repairing since a new unit could be had for the cost of fixing your old unit. - Reinhart

katiejo
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC vcr that stopped playing this morning. Everything else works, just not play. I get static instead. Could it be something to do with the 4 hour power outage this morning, a new tv or something else? Thanks

Izzy Kreeg
Unregistered guest
I have a Sylvania TV/VCR combo. Worked perfectly for two years, and until one day (worked fine the previous evening) when the VCR would take a tape in, 'whirr' for a couple seconds, and then shut the power off. Turning it back on would spit the tape out. It says "EJECT D" as it does this.
Tried multiple tapes, and the interior looks very clean and empty of foreign material.
Much appreciated!

Izzy

Unregistered guest
Ihave a matsui vp 9407 A and have lost the pass code does anyone know a way to get it working please.

Robinsturn
Unregistered guest
I have a symphonic 5900 vcr. Only a few channels show on the VCR - I dont have a book. How do I clear it so I can get all the channels (with satellite)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2184
You can't receive sat channels on a VCR. Connect the sat to the VCR with RCAs and set the VCR to line.

jen kim
Unregistered guest
I have a Broksonic tv/vcr combo. I just bought a universal remote but none of the 3 digit codes work. Any ideas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2237
They used to be Orion. If that doesn't work try Funai. Some universal remotes don't have codes for combos. One For All remotes have the highest compatibility.

Username: Qikweb

i have a rca vcr model: vr557. the problem i have is thart when i put in a vidio to play it stops playing after 2 or 3 second, and it turns off. can you help me please as to why this is happening.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2298
Open it and look at what it does. I'm guessing the right reel doesn't turn.

tjweidler
Unregistered guest
I have a 13inch, Panasonic, TV/VCR combo, model PV-C1340, the other day I tryed to play a tape and the picture was unviewable, but I could hear the audio. I tryed the tracking and bought a Maxell VCR head cleaner(wet type) and it won't even let me play the cleaner, it shuts down after I press play or record. I played around and held down the fast forward and rewind buttons and "service mode 2152 and 1110" came up on the screen. When I would then press play the "2152" turned into "0152"? Does anybody have a suggestion or know how to find out the service codes? Thanks in advance.

Username: Dajotay

San Francisco, CA USA

I'm having trouble with my eight-year old vcr, Broksonic model VHSA-6741CCTCC Series A. When I insert a tape, the machine immediately spits the tape out, then the vcr automatically shuts itself off. The tape doesn't even go in all the way...the machine refuses to accept it. The "Record" tab is not broken off and I've checked everything else that I thought could be the problem. Can you tell me how to remedy this? Also, what causes this to happen all of a sudden when the vcr had been working fine and no one has been messing with the controls.

Granted the vcr is aged. Could you also tell me if it is worthwhile to send it in for professional repair or is this a lost cause (as in "just buy another vcr").

Answer is very much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2332
It's the mode switch. Buy a new one.

Username: Dajotay

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 2
"It's the mode switch. Buy a new one."

Precise, informative and a straight-to-the-point suggestion given on what to do about it. A person couldn't ask for more. Mr. Massey, thank you kindly, sir.

tjweidler
Unregistered guest
Mr. Massey any idea whats wrong with my Panasonic TV/VCR described three posts up?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2360
It probably just needed cleaning before the cleaning tape. Those tapes don't do much if anything at all. Unplug it and plug it back in and see if it will play a tape. If it does and you get audio but no video, it probably needs cleaned.

brus
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a problem eith mu vcr, The cassette basket won't drop. After working with it I found out that this is only true when I push on the basket manually. When I actually insert a cassette, the basket DOES drop but the guide rollers don't engage. Ocassionally the roller, guide, or spindle on the swinging plastic arm to the right side of the basket catches the tape and pulls it out but not always. The VCR inevitably spits the cassette back out, pulling a bit of the tape out as it slides back over the stationary guide rollers. Throughout this process the cassette door (if that's the correct term for the entrance to the cassette basket) never closes. There are no unusual sounds - whirring, clicking, or otherwise - associated with the problem. Thanks a lot.

brus
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a problem with my vcr, The cassette basket won't drop. After working with it I found out that this is only true when I push on the basket manually. When I actually insert a cassette, the basket DOES drop but the guide rollers don't engage. Ocassionally the roller, guide, or spindle on the swinging plastic arm to the right side of the basket catches the tape and pulls it out but not always. The VCR inevitably spits the cassette back out, pulling a bit of the tape out as it slides back over the stationary guide rollers. Throughout this process the cassette door (if that's the correct term for the entrance to the cassette basket) never closes. There are no unusual sounds - whirring, clicking, or otherwise - associated with the problem. Thanks a lot.

tjweidler
Unregistered guest
Mr. Massey, thanks for your reply, regarding the above post with the Panasonic tv/vcr combo. Your right the cleaning tape didn't work, it didn't even play. I tried everything. Are you recommending taking the tv/vcr to a repair shop to be cleaned? Is that expensive?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2380
If it won't even play a tape, not the head cleaner a regular tape, it's more than cleaning.

Username: Prince_markus

I have a Broksonic TV/VCR combo but I no longer have the original remote. I have a on for all remote that doesn't have a recording speed button on it. My recording speed is currently set at SP but I need to get it to SLP. Do you have any ideas?

Username: Atkinsonjd

I have a CurtisMathes CMC13003 TV/VCR Combo. The VCR will play a tape for about 5 seconds, then stops. I unplugged it for about a month and decided to try to play a movie, and it played for 30 minutes, then stopped. Now it only plays for 5 seconds again. What is wrong with it? How do i fix it? Thanks Justin

Username: Davydp

Hello, I got a LG DVD/VCR Combo model V8824W (australia), the problem it has is some tapes can only be used as they work ok, others play it up can be watching a video then the sound fades out then the picture goes it like a tracking problem? and can rewind the tape a minute or so then it can play for a little bit longer before the problem starts again? any ideas? purchased a number of brand new tapes and some might work most don't?
has had a few manual head cleans.

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2799
Look at the tapes it's having a problem with and see if it's crinkling the top or bottom edge of the tape.

Hello, took out the LG and put the old philips vcr back about 10 - 12 years old it needs the senser fixed rewind and play (doesn't rewind at end of tape, and powers off when rewinding).
and the tapes that didn't record on the LG recorded ok on the philips VCR?

Thanks

Post Number: 3
Hello, more info from my other post before, only a couple of tapes were very little crickling at top, the rest are not, I did a recording of what the vcr does on to PVR (.AVI).
The other day it was playing up I stopped it a rewind a for a second then played, played ok during the day (constant the 1 tape) didn't stop playing it, then tried another day and played up again, looks like the audio head could be a prob or part of?

Thanks

Username: Rodr98

Pelham, Massachusetts

I have TV/VCR combo 13TVR03, after the thunderstorm, one of the ray impact the floor, I can not see any picture in the screen. Please, let me know: How can I fix this problem?
Thank you

Username: Simpsonman3000

I have Symphonic TV/VCR combo that when turned on says "Eject C", opens the VCR door a little, closes it, and then shuts off after a few seconds. I opened it up and shook the VCR around and it worked for about 2 weeks then I accidentally hit the eject button then it broke again. What can be done? Please help

Username: Lvbn1117

Hi, I have a magnavox TV/VCR combo. There was a tape stuck in it. I was able to pull the tape out. But the TV still displays T-Eject and turns off after a few seconds. Can someone help?

Username: Audrey7670

hi, i have a phillips magnavox TV/VCR and a tape got stuck in it. I cant eject the tape, and after about 5 seconds the TV shuts itself off. Does anyone have any advice?

Username: Sandycheese

MO USA

I just bought a brand new Panasonic VCR, and it's doing the same thing. I called Panasonic, and they told me to reset everything up which was done, actually the guy did not have a clue. We can't figure it out. If it's out of alignment, does that mean my new VCR is defective right out of the box?

Username: Sandycheese

MO USA

I just posted the message about the Panasonic VCR. I thought it would post next to the question I was referring to. The machine records. It shows the picture for a few seconds, and then flashes blue, back and forth between the picture and the blue screen. If you FF you can see the entire thing, so it did record, but doesn't playback correctly.

Username: Jrimrie

Humble, Texas USA

I have a Sylvania SRC20134AC TV/VCR Combination. It will not take the VCR tape. I think I can fix that I think it is just mechanical.
However, the remote does not work it is on the TV/VCR (does not receive the signal) end I have checked the remote and it is OK.
In each of the cases what do I look for when repairing

Username: Azanmi

I have a Philips VCR that is 4 years old. When I play a tape I get video with a line of snow that moves around and NO audio at all!
any ideas?

Username: S13raven

i have a magnavox tv/vcr/dvd comb. i've only had it only had it about 2 yrs, but recently my 16mo old has started sticking stuff in the vcr. i've found everything from cheerio's to pencils in there, but once i remved the foreign object the tv worked fine again, but 2 days ago i was watching tv late at night and there was a tape in the vcr that we had watched earlier in the day. i turned off the tv when i went to bed and everything seemed fine, however when i woke up in the morning and turned the tv back on it stayed on for only a few seconds and then shut off again. when i tried to take the tape out it was stuck. i ended up sort-of prying it out and the tape was "eaten". after removing the tape i turned the tv back on and it went right back off. i checked for foriegn objects and couldn't find anything. but the tv is still not working when i turn it on it says"eject" eventhough there's no tape in it and then shuts off. can i do anything to fix it myself? is it safe for me to take the back off to invesigate? i'm a single mom w/ 3 kids and this is our main tv. i really can't afford to have it fixed or buy another one.ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS SO MUCH

Username: Lois45

I have a 13yr. old 27 inch Magnavox tv, which blanked out and only makes a humming noise, leaving me to think it was probably the picture tube. If so is there anything I can do other than buy a new tv?

Username: Tvgal

Bethesda, Maryland USA

I have a Symphonic TV/VCR combo and it suddenly began having this problem: When I turn it on, it stays on for about 1 or 2 seconds and then it turns itself off. Would anyone have any clues for the reason/possible solution and maybe a recommendation for a good/honest/reasonable technician in suburban Maryland?

Username: 12pete34

My VCR, Model Q250PF keeps bundling the tape inside the VCR. It seems as if the head/drum keeps turning and then the tapes bundles inside. Before inserting the tape, it frequently displays the message "RF 23". It also does not rewind.

PLEASE HELP!

Regards

pete

Username: 12pete34

My Daewoo VCR, Model Q250PF keeps bundling the tape inside the VCR. It seems as if the head/drum keeps on turning and then the bundling starts. It also frequently displays the message "RF23" when inserting the tape. It also does not rewind. Please Help!
Will you also kindly send me a repair manual to my email address?

Regards,

Pete

Username: Chris_bothma

I have a LG DC593W dvd vcr combo who stopped working after a power cut. Could someone please help me possible answers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us