Internet connection

Silver Member
Username: Sccrskills

Post Number: 150
So I have cox high speed internet and the modem that was provided by the wonderful gentleman is ARRIS touchstone telephony modem. He asked me if I wanted him to install the wireless router also which would cost a total of like $200 extra because they put some type of security on the router so noone can steal youre wifi. I opted not to and ended up getting a Netgear N300 Wireless Router WNR2000 v2. I am just curious what cox does does when they install youre wireless internet since I didnt want to do it and is it better if they do? Should I get another wifi router then the one I already have or does it not make a difference when looking at internet speed? I am just curious because Im wandering if I can get faster internet on my wifi even though it is already really good . Thanks for any replies.

Gold Member
Username: Krishn

Post Number: 1692
Sccrskills: N router is the maximum speed you can get for wifi. You did a wise thing in not buying it from them.

As far as security goes, you need to set it to WPA2-PSK never WEP, also I recommend you enable MAC address filtering and you will have to enter the MAC address of all wireless devices in your house, so that only those devices can access your wifi. I have a long list of MAC's for my router which includes MAC's of my kids PS3, nintendo Wii, 3DS, iPod touch etc. I doubt if they would have secured it as much as what I have suggested.

Please call and ask them to elaborate on what security they would provide for wifi and I would appreciate if you can post what they told you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Subash: how exactly do you do MAC address filtering for your devices and how do I know if its set to WPA2-PSK instead of WEP. Thanks for your reply and when I get a chance I will call and post back here to let you know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1693
In windows 7, if you open the network center and place your cursor on what is identified as conected, it will show you ssid name, signal strength, security type etc.

Connect your desktop or laptop with the ethernet cable to your router, then open a web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1/ it will ask for username and password, when you enter the default username and default password. The menu screen shiuld give you the options.

Another option is to use the resource CD that should have come and using the smart wizard in that - probably that would be easier.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
okk I got it all setup now. Added all the addresses that I wanted but thats good I didnt know you could do that. Thanks for your help internet is running great.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 16842
Subazz..finally i seen ya post something of value...a shocker to me...

Diamond Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 22579
Subash: The only thing I might have added is to look at Tomato software, but it is not necessary in this case.

Bronze Member
Username: Kent_island

Post Number: 24
LK...........living in North America anything is possible

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22581
Subash: Some people are jealous. Very good advice given and taken by the questioner.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22583
Subash:
Some people are jealous. Very good advice given and taken by the questioner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1694
nydas - who cares for what LK posts however it is fun to rile him/her up, he/she makes more of an as*s

Gold Member

Post Number: 1695
Sccrskills: you are welcome, glad it worked out for you

Username: Seran33

Post Number: 2
Subash: how exactly do you do MAC address filtering for your devices and how do I know if its set to WPA2-PSK instead of WEP. Thanks for your reply and when I get a chance I will call and post back here to let you know. Subash: Some people are jealous. Very good advice given and taken by the questioner.

Bronze Member
Username: Omaima

Post Number: 14
The main thing is that the router should have the bandwidth provided by your ISP. Inexpensive routers usually have a bandwidth of up to 100 mb.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us