European PAL vcr and American TV connection ??

Hi. I have a Hitachi PAL vcr from England and when I connected it to my Zenith American tv, I got perfect sound, but the picture jumps and nothing I do seems to stop the picture's tracking problem. Is there anyone out there with a suggestion on how to stabilize the picture? Thanks!

Anonymous
Ok as best as I can tell this is how it works. The vcrs in england are different than the ones in the u.s. They are a different format and will not play tapes from the u.s. I know this because I recently purchased videos on ebay from england and tried playing them on my vcr and did the same thing you describe. I bet if I sent you my videos they would play perfect. Sucks

Susan Smith
Can you play tapes from England and see them on the tv or do ALL tapes jump?? I am trying to find out how to play VCR tapes here in the states if I have a PAL compatable VCR only and a regular tv

vidkid
american video is 60 fields per second or 30 frames per second. this is called NTSC. europe uses the pal standerd. 50 fields per second or 25 frames per second. i think is has somting to do with the power standers. america is 120volt at 60hz. europe is 240volt at 50hz. the lights in your house flash 60 times per second. so they need to be in sync with the tv so you dont see flicker between the 2. you can get a converter that will convert pal to ntsc or vise-versa.

Duri
I have the similar problem, just bought a new European vcr and a lot of European tapes, and can't play it on my tv in the US. The VCR says that it plays all NTSC/PAL/SECAM tapes but my TV does not show anything.

I was only able to see NTSC tape in black-n-white on one of the TVS at Circuit City where I took it.

Where to buy such converter?

Saskatt
Unregistered guest
Well, vidkid...
If it has to do with the lights in your house, why would that effect how you watch the tapes at night with no lights on.

Unless you are referring to the light from the TV...

Anonymous

i recently bought a PAL video from the uk. i was wondering if i can buy a PAL VCR in the united states, or do I have to buy a converter

Anonymous

yea i bought a dirty movie in germany and i was pissed to find that when i play it, i see scrambled nothing and hear the sound in rerverse WTF man? damn germans.

jasinth
Unregistered guest
I'd like to take some video tapes from America to England. Will they play there? Someone sent me a video of a wedding in England and all I saw on my tv was snow. It didn't work at all. Is there a special VCR that would play the tapes there? Please Help?

Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 5
You can buy multi-format VCRs but they are far more expensive than an ordinary VCR, and I'm not sure but I think the output is only 1 format, in other words they will play any tape but if the output is for NTSC you would have to have an NTSC TV if the output is PAL you would have to have a PAL TV.

james.u.k.
Unregistered guest
As was mentioned a few links below..
american video is 60 fields per second or 30 frames per second. this is called NTSC. europe uses the pal standerd. 50 fields per second or 25 frames per second.
you can get a converter that will convert pal to ntsc etc..

james u.k.
Unregistered guest
Multi Format VCR'S are quite cheAP If you buy from L.G.
I purchased one for £60.00
Go to tesco.net and search for vcr videos.
some are as little as £50.

jennheather
Unregistered guest
So what is the result? If you have a european VCR and tapes will it play on a US TV? Please e-mail me at sprad666@aol.com. Thanks, Tim

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Only if it is multi-format, I think alot of European equipment is. Hard to find multi-format equipment here, expensive when it can be found. Unless it's dual-voltage, you would need a step up transformer. We are 110, not 220.

Unregistered guest
I have a multi system VCR and have the same problem as everyone here. Tape shows black and white and maybe rolls. I also have a multisystem tv and now that I have returned to the US from Germany the VCR wont play on the tv. I have found out that a multisystem converter must be purchased. These can be found on ebay from $20 on up and should solve the problem. Hope this helps.

Unregistered guest
Im from New Zealand and we're on the PAL system aswell. Most vcr's here are NTSC playback compatible meaning we can play NTSC tapes and view them on our PAL TVs but i wondered if this means it can be played on an NTSC TV using this same vcr.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
Doubtful, only if the VCR has NTSC output.

WilR
Unregistered guest
Is DVD worldwide compatible? Or is there NTSC and PAL versions like on tapes?

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
There are NTST and PAL DVDs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
There are NTSC and PAL DVDs.

Anonymous

Is there any software that will unscramble the garbage you get when you try to play a pal tape in a American standard vcr? I had videowave and Belkin adapter to sent video into the computer for ntsc tapes but I have some pal tapes and I wondering if I can bypass the hardware with software instead of buying a pal vcr?

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
Even buying a PAL VCR won't work unless you have a PAL TV. If your TV is NTSC you would need a multi-format VCR with NTSC output, a very rare machine, although there are such things.

Katily
Unregistered guest
So, is there any hope of viewing a pal tape on a NTSC vcr and TV? Are there any converters that will work that way?

What is my best option for actually viewing my PAL tapes- would I have to buy a whole new vcr or tv?

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
You would need a multi-format VCR, expensive in the US.

Texas Chick
Unregistered guest
Okay, let me see if I understand this correctly...

I'm taping some episodes of "Family Guy" on NTSC videotape (in the US) and want to send them to some friends in the UK who have whatever VCR system they use there. My tapes will work in their machine, right?

VCR Repair Man Trinidad
Unregistered guest
Texas Chick,
Get a video capture card for your computer and burn them as video files to a cd. Then mail them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 540
The tapes will only play if they have a multi-format VCR.

Anonymous

I am moving to US from Thailand and plan to take a Toshiba TV set (220V, 50 Hz) with me. I will use a step-down transformer and it has PAL/NTSC viewing options.

Will it still receive broadcast in the US (satellite or cable)?

Anonymous

I have a 32inch Sony TV that I love but its not PAL. Is their a convertor I can buy so that I can receive/view PAL television. (I'm stationed in Italy and hate to get rid of this TV but currently can't view anything.)

BESNIK
Unregistered guest
SAMSUNG-SV 5000W.WILL PLAY ANY TAPE ANYWHEREIN THE WORLD BUT NOT CHEAP... IT HAS A BUILT IN CONVERTER,OTHER MULTISYSTEM VCRS DO NOT..SO BE CAREFUL..OR U CAN BUY A CONVERTER AND A VCR THATS MULTISYSTEM TOO..

Silver Member

Post Number: 906
Samsung is trash.

Jackalope
Unregistered guest
I live in Canada and I have a multi-formart VCR that I want to use to record TV programs. Unfortunately the input connection on the VCR is PAL, so I can't connect the TV cable to it. What can I do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
If it has a PAL tuner you won't be able to use it.

Jeannine
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me what I have to do to be able to view a PAL format tape on my Panasonic VCR deck? I have model PV-D4733S. Thanks.

Jeannine
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me what I have to do to be able to view a PAL format tape on my Panasonic VCR deck? I have model PV-D4733S. Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1056
Unless it's a multi-format VCR you can't.

Elise1029
Unregistered guest
Will most PAL DVDs play on DVD players in the US?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1058
Not on most of them, but some will.

Unregistered guest
I have a 7inch Panasonic TV that I love but its not PAL. Is their a convertor I can buy so that I can receive/view PAL television. (I'm stationed in Bangladesh but currently can't view anything.

Gpowrice
Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a Cannon digital video/cam whilst in the US.
Is this compatible with my Toshiba lap top CD writer? Can I take film with the camera and run it through my lap top to record it on a CD?

Username: 4u2ges

Post Number: 6
Never really appreciated Samsung brand. But 3 years ago urgently needed inexpensive multi-system/converter solution. Got a Samsung SV-5000W for $300. Appears to be a quality gear. Converted a lot of tapes from PAL/SECAM to NTSC...

Elmerdee
Unregistered guest
Relative in Tasmania sent a PAL recorded VCR tape made of his family, etc. Took it to an electronics store, cost $20 per VCR tape but plays perfectly on my good ole USA RCA TV set.

Unregistered guest
I have a multi sytem multi region VCR/DVD combo. The multi region DVD works on my ntsc TV but not the vcr. I was under the impression that if I bought a pal > ntsc converter( a cheap one) that would fix the NTSC TV issue, So that I could watch PAL videos. That didn't help.The picture is either black or scrambled. There is no vertical hold to adjust that might fix the problem. ANY IDEAS? Do I need to buy a multi system TV or PAl TV?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1329
I don't think there's such a thing as a milti-format combo. If you are trying to watch a PAL tape on an NTSC VCR, nothing will work short of a multi-format VCR. If it's a PAL DVD, there are players that will convert from PAL to NTSC.

bullas
Unregistered guest
I have purchased american ntsc tv and want to watch tv in England. how can i convert it? am i able to watch tv through my DVD player?

Anonymous

Hi I am currently based in th U.K and I have a pal 42 inch plasma TV and I am moving back to New Zealand soon,will this plasma work in New Zealand as I do not want to get rid of it.

Anonymous

I have encountered the same problem. I finally found a company that offers a few solutions to PAL NTSC or NTSC PAL compatibility and conversion. You may want to look at http://www.barrel-of-monkeys.com

Ocean

Username: Yemi

Lithonia, Ga Usa

Post Number: 1
please, can someone help with a concrete suggestion. i have a multisystem vcr with ntsc tv but can't watch european tapes clearly because the picture is not clear (it jumps).then i bought a pal to ntsc converter but it didn't solve the problem. do i have to buy a multisystem tv or a pal tv? please help me out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1722
If the VCR outputs NTSC, then there shouldn't be a problem. If it's PAL, the converter should have worked. Tape or VCR problem maybe. I've heard of those converters not working before, may be defective.

SuperCool
Unregistered guest
I am looking for software that will convert PAL to NTSC. I have PAL VHS videos and an NTSC VCR. I am wondering if I play the PAL VHS on this VCR and capture the scrambled output signal in MPG or AVI, is there some kind of software that will take this scrambled capture and filter it so that it becomes an intelligible NTSC compatible video signal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1757
You can't play a PAL tape on an NTSC VCR, period, so no.

Expert
Unregistered guest
You can't play PAL tapes on a regular American VCR and watch them on a regular American NTSC TV.
For this, you need either a converter (PAL to NTSC with an inevitable loss in quality), or a multi-format VCR. But it's not all: to view PAL tapes you would need PAL or multisytem TV.

The same with DVDs. The best scenario - multiformat DVD with multisystem TV.
However, there are multi-format DVD players with built-in converters that allow to view PAL DVDs on regular American NTSC TVs. There is however some loss in quality.
Many regular American DVD players actually can play PAL DVDs, but only region-free - but you would still need PAL/multisystem TV because these players do not convert PAL to NTSC like the DVD players I mantioned earlier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1808
A converter won't work with an NTSC VCR and a PAL tape. It's not sending a PAL signal, it's still NTSC. You need a multi-system VCR with NTSC output, or if the output is PAL, you need a converter.

Expert
Unregistered guest
<A converter won't work with an NTSC VCR
<and a PAL tape. It's not sending a PAL
<signal, it's still NTSC. You need a multi-
<system VCR with NTSC output, or if the
<output is PAL, you need a converter.

That's right, thank you.
I didn't phrase my first part quite right. Basically PAL tapes can be played only on PAL/multiformat VCR and to view them you need either PAL/multisystem TV or if you have an NTSC TV you need a converter (PAL to NTSC). Be ready for the loss in quality.

Also, folks.
Remember USA/Canada and some other countries have 120 Volts/60 Hz electricity, Europe 220/50 Hz. There are voltage transformers, but there's no way you can buy "consumer level" Hz transformer.
So if you buy something multisystem/multiformat, be sure it's also "multivoltage"

Hz is especially important if you have motors in your system like in CD, DVD players, VCR, With 50 Hz, made for America stuff will spin slower and you'll have problems.

Small example: if you have a US 120/60 clock-radio, you can use it in Europe with voltage transformer - radio will work just fine, but the clock will be slow because it is tuned for 60 Hz and in Europe it is 50 Hz.

Hope this helps

Username: Peach

I have brought my multi-format TV, VCR & DVD players to the USA and while they play both video & DVD formats perfectly, I can't get a proper picture or any sound when I have the TV hooked up to cable. The picture is perfect as I tune any channel in, but when I save and exit the channel, I get this problem. The TV System is set to B/G and cannot be changed, which I think may be the problem. Is there a way to fix this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1985
The TV and VCR probably have PAL tuners, if so, they won't work with an NTSC signal.

GEORGIOS
Unregistered guest
I HAVE BROUGHT MY PAL VCR FROM EUROPE AND AFTER THE PURCHASE OF A STEP UP VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER I CAN PLAY MY EUROPEAN PAL MOVIES. HOWEVER THE STANDARD NTSC TV I OWN IN THE US CANNOT SHOW THE PICTURE. I GET A BLACK-WHITE PICTURE(WHICH I CORRECTED TO COLOR WITH THE USE OF A PAL>NTSC CONVERTER) BUT THE REMAINING PROBLEM IS THE UP-DOWN FLICKERING MOVEMENT OF THE PICTURE. THE QUESTION IS THIS: WILL A MULTISTANDARD TV SOLVE THE PROBLEM? ESPECIALLY SINCE THE OUTPUT OF THE VCR COMES FROM A EURO-JACK SCART AND ALL THE MULTISYSTEM TVs COME WITH RCA,SV JACKS ETC BUT NOT SCARTs? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME.

Unregistered guest
HI i purchased the series The Lion, The Witch and the wardrobe on VHS tapes Pal from england, not knowing they wouldn't play here in states. My question is there anywhere i can take them to transfer them to play on my vcr & tv?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2101
Yes, there are places that will convert them, I think it's about $20 per tape. You might get it done for less if you look around. I saw a place on the net that will do it awhile back.

Username: Vadoadormire

In Italy (and, I think most of Europe), where Pal is the video format, even a cheap vcr can play NTSC vhs tapes. With some older tv's the picture jumps; with newer ones this should not happen. I send tapes to my sister in Italy from Canada and she watches them just fine on one tv but NOT on another one.

I have a dvd player that I bought in Italy (cheap) made in China (Amstrad) and I can play here Pal dvd's without loss of quality. I can also record them on my Panasonic NTSC dvd recorder and get NTSC dvd's without loss of quality. Other local dvd players do the same (the cheap ones, the major brands don't!).

To watch a Vhs Pal tape here in Canada (and the US) is another story.

You need:

1. a multi system vcr or a Pal vcr with a transformer;

2. A multi system tv or a regular tv with a converter. The cheap converters may/not work. The picture may jump. The expensive ones will not jump (but make sure you can get your money back if they do).

3. In the alternative, a Pal tv with a 220 volt transformer (but ask for the proper wattage because I understand the tv causes a power surge when you turn it on. Speak to a qualified technician before doing this for safety reasons. It may blow up on you!

Hope this helps.

Happy Easter to all.

Username: Chriscake

With the correct voltage requirements. will a European Plasma or LCD TV work with a U.S. NTSC TV signal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3190
Is it PAL? Is it multisystem?

Username: Chriscake

Post Number: 2
This is what it says on the specs. Input Signal DVB-T, NTSC, PAL, SECAM, HD, VGA~SXGA

Gold Member

Post Number: 3192
Then it's multisystem and should work. It needs an NTSC compatible tuner if you plan on using the TV tuner. If it's a plasma, it's going to take a large wattage transformer, they are power suckers. Make sure you can get a transformer with enough wattage.

Username: Kprice22

GlasgowUk

i have just ordered an ntsc vhs boxset, i'm living in the uk, i have a pal vcr and a pal tv set. if i buy an ntsc to pal converter will this do the trick? seems like such a simple task but confused myself thinking about it too hard!!!!

Post Number: 2
Hi, Kevin. Your Pal vcr probaly can play the tapes. It probably has an NTSC Playback feature. Most VCR's in Europe do.

See my entry in April of 2006.

Ciao

Username: Greeneyebabe2

I bought a tape on ebay did not notice it was a PAL tape... I am in the US.. .I have a US TV and US VCR is there anyway to get it to play without spending a fortune?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3396
Find some place in your area that can copy it to DVD.

Username: Jhundley16

Hi,
I live in the United States and bought an NTST DVD wihout realizing it. Nothing I own will play this DVD. What can I do to watch this movie?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3413
If you mean NTSC, the U.S. is NTSC.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1176
I assume yo know where yo live
I think you got a PAL DVD media
You can watch it on your computer if you got a computer DVD player.
If not you don't have much of a muliple choice.

Post Number: 5
All you need to do is buy a cheap DVD player that plays Pal DVD's. Usually a foreign DVD player will. Such players don't cost much and they do the job. I have one and I watch Pal DVD's on my NTSC TV all the time. My Panasonic DVD player will NOT. Go to Future Shop and ask a clerk. The booklet of specifications will tell you. It is NOT a big problem. Ciao.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1183
His DVD media could be authored by regional code NTSC block and may not have a modern TV to play back PAL if it is a PAL. he hoesn't even know what he got. I will try computer DVD first to see if can actually plays

Username: Complicated

Hello,
Can anyone help me with my question?
I have Videos from Europe, so what i learned they must be PAL system.
I have an old VCR PAL player with the really old multiple plug cable to the TV, there is no RCA possibility to connect to TV.
So before i buy a converter, do i need a replacement PAL Player or can i use a regular American NTSC player?
Will then with the proper VCR player, a Orei XD-990 converter, do the trick that i can finally watch my videos?
I'm grateful for any information.
Thanks a lot
mark
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help