SA/Explorer 8300HD SUCKS!!!

Username: Hdtvnewbie

Post Number: 4
Anyone know any fixes for the following 2 problems?
1) When you start watching a show in progress, you have to manually rewind it to the start (while looking away from screen). Also, if you don't "catch up" to the live broadcast by the end of the broadcast, the DVR kicks you out of the show when the live show ends. You then have to search for it in the recorded programs and fast forward to where you were. Sucks!
2) On some HD channels (ie NBC and ABC) the sound is not quite in sync with image. Very slight, but clearly noticeable. Strangely, the sound and image on CBSHD and FoxHD are in sync.

Username: Geeker

Post Number: 7
it doesnt suck, you just dont know how to use it.

bikr
Unregistered guest
actually, he's right, the 1st thing does suck, not much you can do about it, i don't think "knowing how to use it" has anything to do with the couple of tricks that people use to avoid having to rewind, such as stopping recording and starting a 2nd recording etc..

so i must say he's right about that one , i have no synch issues though.

CJM
Unregistered guest
This unit does indeed suck. I have the same issues with it as JS, plus it doesn't resume where you left off after watching recorded content part way through.

This thing needs a lot of work.

Figgy
Unregistered guest
Please help, I have recently purchased the sony hx900 dvr...I am hooking it up through the rogers digital box scientific atlanta 3200...My problem is I cannot access the on screen tv listings through the sony recorder so I can hilight a listing, and be able to record it...I have tried splitting the cable, one end going into the rogers box, the other going into the sony dvr, still nothing works...Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Username: Hdtvnewbie

Post Number: 6
I think SA may have finally caught on and fixed the problem. Yesterday, I went to watch a program that was in progress but recording and I had a new option "play from beginning" even though the show was still recording! I was able to watch from the start and when the live show ended, I did not get booted off. I was able to keepo watching the show, seamlessly, until the end.

LET A Life Jim Boy
Unregistered guest
So who cares...And whats the Point....
O I know, nothing to do so I will post...
BIG DEAL....Get a life....Jim Smith...

Unregistered guest
I have the 8300HD and I actually like it. BUT, the cable company has somehow disabled my DVR functionality een though I had it for 2 days when I got it...anyone know how to get around this?

fx
Unregistered guest
I have the 8300HD and I actually like it. BUT, the cable company has somehow disabled my DVR functionality een though I had it for 2 days when I got it...anyone know how to get around this?

Yeah don't be cheap and pay the extra fee for the DVR service. No other options!

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

I have this box and does anyone know if the audio on the hdmi audio output works? It used to work for me and then suddenly stopped working. Not sure if Time Warner disabled it?

Anonymous

I have this box and does anyone know if the audio on the hdmi audio output works? It used to work for me and then suddenly stopped working. Not sure if Time Warner disabled it?

JJ No Sound
Unregistered guest
I have the same issue with the HDMI audio output not working - I installed it last night and it didn't work. They just told me over the phone that it is not connected. This seems stupid, can anyone confirm this is correct?

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 335
JJ,
Can you verify (by looking at the sticker on the bottom of your 8300) what the REV is? 1.2? 1.4? 2.2? or 2.4?

newbie123
Unregistered guest
There is a menu option that redirects the audio to HDMI. Cannot recall the exact setting name but it is part of the Settings menu.

Username: Klaus57

Post Number: 1
I have the same issue as JJ - audio is not working with the HDMI input. It is an 8300HD DVR and the REV is 2.4. When I first hooked it up, I got a message about my set (Sony KLV-S32A10) not being HDCP compliant, but after restarting (not rebooting) the video worked fine. I don't understand the compliance thing; I would think that would be a function of the cable box (me set is HD ready -doesn't have a built in tuner).

Anyway, I tried hooking up the other audio inputs, rebooting, etc., nothing seems to work. Also, there is no documentation on how to access the setup wizard I have read about in this forum.

Lastly, I might hear a very faint clicking or popping sound when using HDMI, but I am not certain. Could this be a Dolby signal that might set doesn't recognize - if so, how do I change it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 336
I know of an issue with the 2.4, depending on what version of SW your cable system is using. The setup wizard is not available on Passport software. If your 8300 is on a Passport system, I'd be curious to know what version of SW you're running.

Username: Klaus57

Post Number: 2
Re: No sound with HDMI to HDMI problem

I don't know if I have passport. How can I tell (also SW version)? Is there some button comination at startup. I have only had it a day, was not given a manual, and am not that familiar with it.

Username: Ncviz

Raleigh, NC US

I too seem to all the sudden have problems with my audio outputs. The optical output works fine, but none of analog outputs seem to be active? At one time this was not the case. Any help out there??

Mine is 8300hd rev 1.2

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how to switch to the Video input on the front of the unit?

Username: Vanhammersley

rsax, I have the same problem w/ not being able to figure out hwo to switch to the Video input on front of box. Probably a simple thing I would imagine...has anyone been able to do this?

Username: Domer

I recently upgraded to HD DVR and Time Warner installed the SA 8300HD DVR box. I have a brand new Samsung DLP HDTV, which I connected using HDMI. I ran the SPDIF digital audio to my Denon amp. So here's the problem - when I want to listen to a Music Choice service on my stereo, I turn off the TV. Within 2 minutes, the SA box will reset and lock up during the reboot process until I turn on my TV.

I know what's happening - the SA box is trying to communicate with the TV over HDMI and when the TV is turned off, that handshake fails. But the box should NEVER reset, nor should it fail to boot up.

I cannot convince Time Warner that this is a S/W bug. It took me several days just to get a hold of someone who could spell HDMI, much less understand it.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Bob G.
Unregistered guest
I've been using the 8300HD DVR for quite awhile and still can't believe you can't pick up a recording where you left off watching it. TIVO was much better in this regard. I'm watching the 4 hour version of Dances With Wolves and I'll probably watch it in 5-6 installments. Every time I'll have to make a mental note and fast forward to where I left off which is a huge waste of time, not to mention aggravating.

Username: Ott_gangl

Time Warner cable installed a 8300HD box on my new HDTV wide screen TV and when programs are show in 4x3 there are grey bars on either side whereas with the TV tuner they are black, which I prefer.

The Explorer HDTV setup wizard is supposed to come on when the buttons, Info and Guide, on the front of the box are pressed while the power on the box is off and the TV is on but nothing happens, the box only displays the time, nothing on the TV.

To change the border colors supposedly there is a "Set:TV Borders" lurking somewhere in the 'settings' program but I can't find it anywhere, not in the basic nor in the extended settings program.

I would appreciate any help...

.....Ott

SomeGuy
Unregistered guest
I wanted to record some shows off my 8300HD to my computer through my camcorder, but my computer is in another room, so I disconnected the 8300HD from the cable antenna and TV and moved it to the other room. I hooked it up to my camcorder but the camcorder's display is blank, the 8300HD displays "79" and when I press the Info button I see "Advanced services are still not available" in the camcorder screen. Must the unit be connected to the cable input before I can access the shows I've DVRed?
Thanks,
Tom

fx
Unregistered guest
"Must the unit be connected to the cable input before I can access the shows I've DVRed?"

Yes and even then I'm not sure how you are planning on transferring them to your camcorder.

xvxvxvx

PhishMan
Unregistered guest
I think the bottom line is that nothing compares with the Tivo interface and usability. I have both (8300hd) and Tivo and there's pluses to each. First, the delay between hitting buttons and the channel change on the tivo (via the IR thing) is soooo slow and annoying. plus tivo doesn't support hd (without spending mucho dinero on an HD Tivo). But, other than those two things the Tivo, IN MY OPINION, DOMINATES the SA 8300HD in every way. the remote is great, the guide is fantastic, the ability to transer to a computer is great, and everything else i can think of. i have so many issues with the 8300hd its not even funny, i have to unplug and reboot every week almost because when i hit the guide button i get a brief black screen then goes back to the live TV. ahhhhh i feel better now

Anonymous

i would also like to know how to get the front AV inputs on the 8300hd to work?

fx
Unregistered guest
"i would also like to know how to get the front AV inputs on the 8300hd to work?"

Not gonna happen, as far as I know every cable company in the US has them disabled with no plans for a firmware update to enable them.

xvxvxvx

SomeGuy
Unregistered guest
"Must the unit be connected to the cable input before I can access the shows I've DVRed?"

Yes and even then I'm not sure how you are planning on transferring them to your camcorder.

My MiniDV camcorder does analog to digital passthrough conversion. I used it to convert my old analog Hi8 tapes to *.avi files by connecting the Hi8 cam out to the MiniDV cam in, and the MiniDV out to the computer in via firewire. Works just fine with my old camcorder, and with my VCR. I could use it with the 8300HD *if* the units were close enough (or I got some REALLY long cables, I guess). Instead, I'll just record onto MiniDV tapes, then transfer those to the pc; two steps instead of one.

DMM
Unregistered guest
Bill Richards, if you're still out there... I feel your pain. I try to do the same thing, turn off TV (which is connected via HDMI) and just listen to Music Choice via optical to my receiver. Within 2 mins, 8300HD shuts down. Very frusterating, had a tech out and he replaced the unit and it still does it.

Hope you found a solution, I haven't.

Unregistered guest
I also cant get into the set up wizard and my tv is in 6:3 when i hit video source how do i change my tv to 16:9. You can reply to me by email if you want

Unregistered guest
? Explorer 8300 hd How do you get your recorded movies to computer using USB or any?

BPlasma
Unregistered guest
I recently got the 8300HD STB for my Pioneer 5060HD plasma HDTV and can not get sound via the HDMI connection ... the media box for the 5060HD has 2 hdmi inputs (#1 and #3) -- I have tried both and only get the video w/o sound ... I have also tried 2 different (new) hdmi cables ... can anyone offer any help? Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Hey,

I have the 8300HD and i tried to use the DVI port to hooks up my new HD TV. It says my television is not HDCP compatible??? What ef! is this? are they that paranoid now that i might record something??? I have a DVR, of course im going to record! How do I get this working? I contacted my television company, (Panasonic) who have assured me that my exact tv is HDCP compliant? Is the box screwed? can i update the firmware/software on the box?? Can someone help please.. Thank!

Unregistered guest
I have an 8300HD, but am frustrated by the minimal amount of storage space. When I record in HD, I have somewhat less than 20 hours of recording time. Does anyone know how I can burn DVD's from the 8300HD so I can save some shows and free up hard drive space?

antnukka
Unregistered guest
homestar i work for time warner cable and all we give out is SA 8300 boxes and hdmi never works... basically b/c hdmi is only an optical cable no sound is ever transferred through. your best bet is to go out and buy a fiber optics cord or a monster component cable to get the best sound quality from your box/dvd player.

Anonymous

QUOTE:
When you start watching a show in progress, you have to manually rewind it to the start (while looking away from screen). Also, if you don't "catch up" to the live broadcast by the end of the broadcast, the DVR kicks you out of the show when the live show ends. You then have to search for it in the recorded programs and fast forward to where you were. Sucks!
==========================================

Also, on my 8300HD, I can ONLY rewind for 1 hour for a show that's currently recording. This is really frustrating when you want to watch a football game 90 minutes after it started.

Another problem is when a recording starts, it always fipls to that channel. If you happen to be watching something in the buffer (delayed) but not recorded, when that switch happens, your buffer is gone and you miss the end of the program!

I really wish they fix some of these ridiculous shortcomings!

And why in the name of goodness can't they give us more navigation instead of 3 lame REW/FF speeds (how about "skip to middle", or "skip ahead 10 minutes", or "skip to 25%", etc.?)?

These things are extremely annoying and seem so funamentally basic that I don't feel guilty about whining about it!

fx
Unregistered guest
"homestar i work for time warner cable and all we give out is SA 8300 boxes and hdmi never works... basically b/c hdmi is only an optical cable no sound is ever transferred through. your best bet is to go out and buy a fiber optics cord or a monster component cable to get the best sound quality from your box/dvd player."

Aloow me to correct this post above: HDMI is a digital spec, the cable does indeed pass digital audio however the 8300 has not yet been configured to use the HDMI out by many cable companies. He did make a good suggestion to use a separate digital audio cable to output the sound to your AV receiver.

xvxvxvx

antnukka904
Unregistered guest
thank you fx for clarifying that for me

Unregistered guest
I think we all agree that the DVR functions of the 8300HD is well behind TIVO,Replay, PC apps etc. Has anyone ever heard whether SA has any plans to improve the feature set?

gladwish
Unregistered guest
anyone know how to fix a major audio lag over optical cable? all of a sudden one day the audio started lagging... especially on recorded content. We have to keep rewinding a few seconds then trying again. After doing this 3-5 times the audio stream finally synches up. Next time we fast forward or rewind, we have to go through the sync process all over again.

This started a few months ago, suddenly stopped over the Christmas break, then started again yesterday...

Any suggestions? I'm on Time Warner in NYC.

Anonymous

So all in all I do not get the impression this is a very good solution if the user wants to transfer the recorded shows from the unit to DVD as no one has offered any input on how to accomplish this. I guess the best thing to do is go with Apple as they have the BEST solution for this usage

Unregistered guest
I have an 8300HD on Adelphia in NH and while watching live TV or recorded TV, we get a black box that takes up most of the screen, leaving a 2" border of video all around the centrally located black box. and sometimes bits of closed captioning text appear in the box, sometimes [ffff] (just like that), sometimes some other gobbledygook... the only way we got around it was to put the box into a different aspect ratio mode. connected to my 27" 9-year-old Magnavox TV via composite video cable and stereo audio. it was working fine for two weeks and now, this is happening... and it only happens in the "normal" aspect ratio mode. any ideas?

Anonymous

Does anyone know how to update the sa 8300 software?

fx
Unregistered guest
"Does anyone know how to update the sa 8300 software?"

Only your cable company via a firmware flash from their headend. There is nothing you can do personally to either speed up or initiate the process. They try to have the major bugs worked out before releasing any new software updates to thier regular customer base before making any changes. Many cable companys have specific test markets where they choose beta testers for both new hardware and software updates. For COX this is the OKC market, other campanies use some of their own employees as beta testers.

xvxvxvx

hurricane24x7
Unregistered guest
Received second 8300 HD-DVR from TWNYC, connected it to a new HP 5880n DLP via HDMI to HDMI....But I get no signal...no visuals, let alone . What could be the problem?

Anonymous

Got an SD 8300HD DVR from Time Warner. Hooked it up and the pos burned my rear projection tv. The box resets itself from 4x3 strech to 4x3 sidebar on its own. The menu and info bar will only show up in a 4x3 ratio. When changing channels the screen goes black in the entire 4x3 area. The original box I had froze up and re-booted on me 3-times within a week. I called Time warner 3-times befor i fianlly got someone who spoke english and agreed to send a tech out to take a look at what I have going on. Each time I called I explained that the box screwed up my tv. Finally got a tech out to my house and he agreed that it wasnt right. When he put the new box in it worked fine for about 30-seconds. Then as he claimed it got the hit from the main office sop that is why it went back to doing the same thing. The sad thing is I no more about their equipment and the way it is suppose to work then they do. Anyways I filed a damaged equipment report and i was suppose to get a call back within 3-days. Today is day 7 and still no call. I emailed their corprate office and i recieved an email back that it takes time to look into these situations and I should just be patient. Has anyone else had these problems or heard of such a thing. My tv is only 2-years old and now its basically shot. I had no problems until I hooked up time warners junk. Any ideas?

Raphoon
Unregistered guest
All I want to know is how to burn a DVD from this stupid box

Username: Soupatech

****All I want to know is how to burn a DVD from this stupid box****

Here is what I do...

1. Record to the 8300
2. Use the "copy to VCR" option to send the file from the second output (back of the explorer 8300)to the video input of my WinTV card (I use external USB)
3. Use the software that came with WinTV to create an .mpg on my PC. I can control the quality and do any editing/cropping I need.
4. Use Nero to burn the .mpg to DVD.

I can watch tv or movies while I copy to my PC.
Hope this helps. I suppose you could use any video capture device, capture software (wiblows movie maker works well for noobs), and any DVD authoring software.

Username: Uranus435

quick question guys,

I bought this unit from someone who had Aldelphia. Is it possible for me to use this same unit on my Time warner Cable system.

Username: Bratch

Bonita, Ca

QUOTE:
"homestar i work for time warner cable and all we give out is SA 8300 boxes and hdmi never works... basically b/c hdmi is only an optical cable no sound is ever transferred through. your best bet is to go out and buy a fiber optics cord or a monster component cable to get the best sound quality from your box/dvd player."

HDMI is NOT optical and the specification for it does include digital sound along with the digital video. Go do some reading about HDMI and go look at some images of an HDMI cable. The connector has copper or some other metallic contacts, you cannot pass an optical signal through this.

In my case, on the SA 8300HD from Cox, with the HDMI cable, I get sound on channels 1-99, but no sound on any channel above 100, but the PQ is great (on channels above 100, below they are all analog). I called them and explained that I was using an HDMI cable and had to inform the rep that checking if the color coded cables were plugged in properly was useless, I said HDMI, not component. They said they would refresh the software and to check back in an hour.

Username: Stl

I've had the SA Explorer 8300HD for a few days now and it'll hang and reboot itself every few hours of TV viewing. Not sure what is causing this...any one else having this issue? I'm in NYC Time Warner Cable. Thanks.

Username: Scifiguy

Solana Beach, CA US

I record from my 8300HD directly to a DVD recorder (they only cost a bit over $100 now a days) but I avoid using the DVR to VCR feature as it dumbs down the signal to VCR quality which looks absolutely horrible. Instead, I connect the 8300HD component video outputs to the DVD recorder and am able to preserve an almost HD quality recording on the DVD. However, one thing you have to be careful of is that the DVR will go into power saver mode and shut itself off if it doesn't "see" a TV out there. So, you can't just set up the recording and shut everything down but the DVR and the DVD recorder and go to bed. I've talked to customer support at my cable co. and they don't know how to turn off this riduculous "feature". As a result, I have to keep my TV on while recording anything to DVD even if I'm not watching it (and this "feature" is supposed to save energy????)

If anyone knows how to disable power saver mode, I'd love to hear about it.

Solana Beach, CA US

Update on the power saver mode: leaving on the TV doesn't help. If the DVR doesn't "hear" a remote control command for an hour, it automatically turns itself off (after a 5 minute warning that screws up your recording, of course). No way (that I know of) to adjust the timeout period or disable it. Stupid.

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 81
Don,

Very few DVD recorders do this. You must have a low end model. The Panny's and Pioneers and I'm pretty sure the Sony's will still record in powered down mode. These are ones with a built-in HDD though.

xvxvxvx

Solana Beach, CA US

Post Number: 3
It's not the DVD recorder that is powering down, it's the 8300HD DVR where the program is playing from. The DVD recorder I have is a Panasonic and doesn't have a HDD, but it is not the problem.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 85
I now understand your post Don. I don't believe your cable company can help you anyway. You might write to Scientific Atlanta and see if a tech there can help you. Personally I now vaguely recall this probelm and it seems like someone found a solution but I can't be sure.

xvxvxvx

Username: Beacondy

Florida

8300 HD to Samsung DLP via HDMI. High def channels fine. When you go to a lower channel, DVR switches to 480i and tv is blank. Switching to component inputs, box goes to 480p and displays. Can't get into service menu from "guide+info" with DVR off and TV on . Brighthouse Cable is clueless. Please HELP

Username: Jcontino

Shawnee, Ks Usa

New to 8300hd and Time Warner.

I have one overall issue. Where is the manual that describes the software on this box? I downloaded the manual from SA, but it doesn't match the software on my TW box??!?!? I can't find reference to a few things. TW didn't leave me a manual, and I can't find one on their website, and their support people don't seem to know.

The most significant thing I am having trouble with is this:

I have set several of my son's cartoon to record the series with "episodes to keep" set to one. However, there must either be a bug or some trick, 'cause it records 6 of the damn shows a day. The manual from SA doesn't seem to even mention this option exists, so I can't read up on the details.

Also, the manual says hit list, then B for options . When I hit "list", B is "Scheduled recordings." This is another mismatch. According to the manual this is how I can see how much disk space I have left.

Thirdly, after about 4 days, the box started "missing" shows. They show up in the list, but say something like 4:59 to 4:59. The hard disk isn't full.

Do I have a bad box? Anyone else using the "episodes to keep" option?

thanks

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 775
Jeff~ Depending on what type of system TWC in KS is running you may be running on Aptiv(Pioneer)PassportEcho software. The manual you loaded from SA only applies to SARA sites and not PassportEcho ones.
From the sounds of it, it's a bug that has been seen in the software that creates the recording to start and stop at the same time (4:59 to 4:59). As for the options, PassportEcho does not have a user screen that shows how much hard drive space is left. It can be accessed from the diagnostic screen, but I'll have to defer somebody in KS to tell you where it is located in your system (they're not the same at each location) Even if you get into the diagnostic screen you'll have to do math breaking down the amount of actually HDD space is left and equate that to total number of hours left (good luck)
The recording 6 shows a day thing could be a factor if you have the options set to record any channel, any time. If you've selected the series recording option, you can tell it when to start, when to stop, how many channels, one channel only, first run episodes (so you don't record repeats) etc...etc...
The best thing I can tell you is to contact TWC KS and have somebody over the phone send you a manual for using the DVR for their location. If they don't have one, complain to a manager about the problems you are having. The 4:59 to 4:59 thing has been seen (times may vary, but problem is the same) I don't think you're going to see total space left without getting into diagnostics, and the recording options are usually default to record all. Your company should be able to educate you on how to use the features, but it's going to take somebody fixing the start and stop glitch that your local provider can't do. Good luck with it

Username: Broncobri5

I have a 8100 v 1.2 ... What are the differences between the revs? I have been having a problem where the screen flashes black every 10 sec or so, this only happens with the component output. Has anyone else had this problem?

FYI: In my TWC system holding select & exit buttons on the front until i hear a "bing" and then hitting exit again brings up a diagnostic screen.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 781
differences in revs are hardware application changes. We don't use the 8100's in our system so I would see if your provider can get you an 8300 to be up to date on hd-dvrs.

Username: Keith_

On 8300hd rev 2.2

Fast Forwarding

When fast forwarding in any speed hit the guide right arrow once, it will jump to the nearest 15 minute mark. Press again and jump again. You cannot jump back while forwarding.

Rewinding

When Rewinding the same applies as above. Hit left guide arrow once. Again you cannot jump forward while rewinding.

Guide arrows only work in a fast forward or rewind mode.

Username: Mikea4212

Some of the problem I had and resolved with help from others.

Sound using HDMI cable MUST be configured:
Setting -- more settings - audio out -- choose HDMI out.

When I turn on my TV It says my television is not HDCP compatible. Then my box reboot and it was working fine. The problem in my case was that all resolutions was active. After I left only 1080i active no more problems.

Username: Jwkiger

Hey, I just got a new 8300HD and find that it is chattering all the time. Like the hard drive heads are reading/writing. Is this normal. I have not tried to record anything yet. thanks

Username: Mtbmike

has anyone successfully used keith's method -

"When fast forwarding in any speed hit the guide right arrow once, it will jump to the nearest 15 minute mark. Press again and jump again. You cannot jump back while forwarding."

doesn't seem to work for me, wish it would..

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 156
I've only used Motorola boxes but it does work on all those that use Passport Echo software. If yours doesn't work it is either your local cable companys not requesting this feature or you are using a different software revision. Either way it is the cable company soft/firmware that matters.

xvxvxvx

Username: Wonderinginwv

I have an 8300 and would like to build a user interface as a senior project. I want to have the ability to set up recordings from my computer. Does anyone know what type of commands the box would accept? And how I should hook it up?

Username: Jaynj856

anyone have problems with 5.1 audio cutting in and out with the 8300? It seems worse on newtwork channel HD/5.1 broadcasts but does it sometimes on premium channels, HBO, Showtime. I think its a Comcast signal level problem but wonder if I can convince them. The sound glitches get recorded into my DVR recorded shows, sound cuts in and out at the same spots.

Username: Mikeydee

New port richey , Fla Usa

does anyone know how to reset a locked sa 8300 dvr [tw] fla or 8300hd?
im told they have to be jtaged

Username: Youngsota

San Juan, PR USA

The Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD Interfering with my Tivo unit. I know this, because I have two analog cable/tivo setups with one digital/tivo and it is the digital 8300HD that consistently interferes with the Tivo assignment to record x or y program.

I read a post somewhere that confirmed that the 8300HD has this effect on Tivo units, when it is re-booted by the cable company after they upload data at night, or its pre-programmed shutdown at night.

For awhile it seemed to work, but soon was shutting down at night and essentially freezing the Tivo and sometimes freezing itself again.

Unless there is a clear solution to using this unit with Tivo, but I don't want to waste anymore time with it.

Here is how I see my options at this point, and would appreciate

1. We could forget Digital with my cable provider, and maintain the analog, but my family would miss the quality.

2.We could ditch the cable and get Dish TV. I think that system works with Tivo. True?

3. Maybe there is another digital box I could purchase that would work the the cable, and not cause problems with the Tivo.

4. Or another solution? Money is no object. I want my Tivo!

Cheers.

Username: Rjdj2000

The Explorer HDTV setup wizard is supposed to come on when the buttons, Info and Guide, on the front of the box are pressed while the power on the box is off and the TV is on but nothing happens, the box only displays the time, nothing on the TV.

The only way to do this is press the power button while holding the other 2 buttons. You can setup what your tv can display after that. On mine, the max I can get is 1080i @ 16x9 and that is what it is set for with my 65" DLP 1080p tv.

Here is the link for the owners manual for the 8300 HDC unit: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/consumers/userguidepdfs/4013171.pdf

Didn't get this book when the unit was installed.

Username: Holytrain

I'm having a problem recording from the dvr to my dvd recorder. I had no problems with it until Time Warner replaced my box (due to other issues) I talked with there tech support and they said I need to swap the box out that there should be no problem. Did that and still getting the same problem (HDCP-20) I'm using the output 2 from the box to the recorder with the composite cables then that goes out through HDMI to the Tv Samsung HD. Now what do I need to do to get my recording option back?

Username: Excisco

This UNIT does SUCK. I used to work for Cisco and I am ashamed to think that after so many years, the cable unit can not fix the most basic of problems. Since owning my unit, the boot time has gone from about 5 minute to over 15 minutes. What could require that much set up time?

Lately I go through command stacking where you press the controller keys and they stack together. 5 to 10 minutes later the box will go coo coo executing the fast forward stop menu etc commands.

I watch a channel for several hours and then try to change channels only to no reaction. Turn unit off, turn unit on back to same channel not the default channel. Take 3 minutes to open search, etc etc etc.

It is a shame that cisco means profit now rather than quality that i was proud to be a part of.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us