Convert coax to RCA or S-Video

Username: Texasgent1

Post Number: 1
My parents have, somehow, managed to buy a TV that does not have a coax input. Is there a way to convert their coax cable to RCA or S-Video?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4156
A VCR with tuner.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 175
You don't need a VCR.

Any of the digital converter boxes that they've been advertising since the switch to digital TV was announced last year will work.

If their TV doesn't have a coax input, then it is not technically a TV but a monitor.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2522
­
The way I read the original post, these people have basic cable; they're not trying to receive OTA signals. I don't believe the OTA digital converter boxes are cable ready with the ability of tuning in unencrypted mid and super band cable channels.

Username: Tom11646

OK so the direct TV installer screwed up - this was years ago and he was a friend so I did not sock-it-to-him.... On my Sharp r32-s50 he managed to break off the tv cable input coax jack; been runing the tv on the 3 RCA inputs and that is working but now I'd like to hook up my old Atari 6800 - anybody know of an application that will convert the RF coming from the atari to RCA - I do have an extra set of RCA plugs on the front

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
The only cheap option is to try using a VCR as a RF demodulator. Connect Atari to Coax In on the VCR. Connect composite video to TV and tune TV to channel 3.

Otherwise, you are out of luck as RF demodulators are not readily available.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4247
You don't use channel 3 for composite. You need to be set to line.

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
Yes, you are right. LINE IN on the TV.

Username: Flatheadax

I have a modern flat screen TV and at the time of install my signal came from direct-TV thru a digital switch utilizing RCA connections. I have since reverted to digital over the air signal. The only way I have been able to get an over the air signal is to by-pass the switch with a coax cable from the antennae to the TV. I still use the switch to watch movies from the DVD player. Is there a coax to RCA converter available?
My TV is on the wall and I would like to utilize the connections previously installed in the wall.

Silver Member

Post Number: 521
What you want is called a RF demodulator.

Post Number: 2
Where can I find one? I read an earlier post you stated they are not readily available.

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
You'll have to Google for it.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 271
I have an Atari 2600 and I'm gonna hook it up on my truck's monitor. The problem is, the atari has a single "rca" output for audio and video. I can hook the atari up to my house T.V. just fine, because I have a converter to change that lil rca plug into a coax and plug into my cable reciever in my tv. However, my truck's screen only has RCA , 3.5mm, and IPOD inputs. I might have some more stashed behind it, but I don't want to take it out. Also, I am not going to put a broken vcr in my truck to convert the signal. this is rediculous. I want a very clean overall look.

Does anyone know how to hook up the atari to RCA video?
Does a 3.5mm jack carry video? or just audio?
Can I just use another converter to go from coax-to-RCA after going from "rca"-to-coax ?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Silver Member

Post Number: 527
one single "RCA" output for both audio *and* video?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 306
from the Atari, yes.

I purchased an adapter to go from atari single phono--coax. Now I need to go from coax to s-video (rca)

The rf modulator has RCA input with COAX output. I NEED COAX INPUT WITH RCA OUTPUT.

PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS OF HOW THIS CAN BE DONE LET ME KNOW. thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
Makinblak,

1.) s-video is s-video; it uses a different connector than composite video which uses a RCA jack

2.) for RF (coax) to composite video (RCA), you need a RF demodulator
these are not very common but some are sold
Google for it

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 317
Thanks for the info ieeee

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 318
Thanks for the info ieeee

Username: Kilalineigmailcom

Just need a little help please, just trying to hook up the cable (Fios Cable box). Coaxil input is broken on an older TV, TV has audio/video input (red/yellow/white). Older DVD/VCR combo has coaxil input/output as well as (red/white/yellow) Input/output.

I am doing something wrong, and not sure where, I have cable going as input to the cable box via coaxil, out to the DVD/VCR input via coaxil, then into the back of the TV input via (red/yellow/white). To me this should work, but it isn't. I turn the TV to channel 3... all I get is snow on every channel.

Can anyone help please?

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
Connect directly from cable to the TV.

I suspect that the coax isn't working, because the DVD/VCR's tuner is analog and the signals coming from the cable box is digital.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us