JVC Pro VCR has repetitive video dropouts

Username: Nitropress

Post Number: 1
I have a JVC SR-V10U Pro SVHS VCR. It's my last VCR - I have just this week given away or dumped all my others and kept this one because it's a pro unit with many specialized features and is also very low-usage.

And NOW I discover it's got an odd cyclical dropout on video! I thought at first it was one tape that had been edge-erased and thus lost the signal at intervals along the tape, but I now find that it plays back all tapes this way - audio and timing are fine throughout, but the video will be stable for perhaps 3 seconds, then slowly drop out to complete static, stablize, and repeat. It does this on every tape I test.

ANY clue what I might be looking at as the problem here? I don't really want to pay for pro service on something I use twice a year for tape capture. I can do nearly all basic cleaning and repairs myself, just need to know what to look at. Whatever it is has to be age-related, as the machine has only been used 20-30 hours total and only with clean, high-quality tapes.

Any insight really appreciated...

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4325
Have you tried tapes in SP and EP both? It sounds like the control head isn't picking up the signal. Try cleaning the linear audio/control heads with a q-tip wet with alcohol. DON'T clean the video/HiFi heads on the drum.

Username: Nitropress

Post Number: 2
Damn. I finally got around to cleaning the heads and it made no difference. The dropout cycle is almost exactly 7.5 seconds, from the initial collapse of signal until it recovers and plays normally for perhaps three seconds. With the TBC on, the audio tends to remain normal; TBC off, it acts like an erased patch on the tape. Have tested several tapes of varying recording speeds and sources but all (an all tapes that have ever been in the machine) are clean and low-hour.

Any further suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4330
You could try disconnecting and reconnecting the ribbon cable to the audio/control head assembly. Sometimes they don't make a good connection. Do both ends and be careful when connecting, have the cable ligned up straight with the connector and push down evenly, don't let the cable slant when connecting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us