Archive through February 02, 2010

Silver Member
Username: Slinke

Post Number: 117
Yes, tina, please post the chat. Deceptive business practices, like claiming there are no known issues with WF655 optical blocks, are potentially useful in court.

Username: Tinap

LA USA

Post Number: 2
Here is a copy of my 12/30/09 chat session. At the time I had not found this web site, so I was just starting to get the gist that something was stinky.... the text you see across the very top was what I had found on their (Sony) troubleshooting area, but I could not get to the article it referenced & that's what I was initially after. As I have found out now, the document was most likely the "secret recall" that had already expired...

Problem: A blue, patchy shade of dots or star patterns appears on the television screen. limited number of Sony Grand WEGA televisions may exhibit a blue, patchy shade of dots or star patterns on the screen after a period of time. The cause... Clic
End Session
user Tina has entered room
We are experiencing higher than usual service times. Please wait and an analyst will be with you shortly.
We are experiencing higher than usual service times. Please wait and an analyst will be with you shortly.
analyst Lindsey_ has entered room

Lindsey_>
Hi Tina. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Lindsey. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Lindsey_>
Thank you for waiting, Tina. I'm sorry that there are blue, patchy shade of dots or star patterns appears on the TV. I'll be glad to assist you with this.

Lindsey_>
When was the last time it worked normally?

Tina>
A couple weeks ago we didn't notice it like we do now...

Tina>
I cannot get the article to pull up on the esupport area

Tina>
I see on the 60" Wega that there is a problem with the lamp door warping & overheating other things... I was wondering if the same issue is going on w/ mine...

Lindsey_>
What are the devices connected to the TV now?

Tina>
a vcr player, a dvd player, 7 a Wii, but they've been connected for a long time

Lindsey_>
Does this happen with the TV, when connected to different video sources like a VCR or a DVD Player also?

Tina>
yes, it doesn't matter what the source is... and when you turn it off, before it goes completely dark, you can see the blue shading in the right corner.

Lindsey_>
Let's try resetting the TV and check if it works normally.

Lindsey_>
To Reset the TV, please disconnect the power cord for a short period of time (approximately 1 minute), then reconnect the power cord and power on the TV.

Tina>
ok, hold on & we'll do it

Lindsey_>
Sure, please go ahead.

Tina>
dang, still there - sure was hoping it would be gone!

Lindsey_>
Let's try resetting the TV to factory settings and check if that helps.

Lindsey_>
Are you using the supplied remote control of the TV?

Tina>
Already did all that.... from searching the web, I believe that the optical block is going bad - apparently Sony did not issue a recall, so people didn't know about it... from what I am seeing on the web, Sony is refusing to fix this issue after 12/31/08... can you pull up the article that I pasted in at the beginning?

Lindsey_>
Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

Lindsey_>
I'm sorry for the network interruption.

Tina>
alright

Lindsey_>
I checked for the information and there is no known issue for the TV.

Tina>
a Sony Optical Block failure.

Normally, this would be a very expensive repair. However, you are in luck. Go here and act fast - deadline is December 31:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...55&news_id=206

But the article is no longer available.

Tina>
I think all I can do is write Sony HQ... I just found esupport article id 261 that will still pull up & apparently this is a fixable issue until march 31,2010

Tina>
Too bad Sony didn't issue a notice for people that paid thousands for a tv for it to last but a few years...

Lindsey_>
I checked for the information and there is no known issue at present.

Tina>
Thanks Lindsey. Guess I'll replace the tv with something other than a sony.

Tina>
Have a good evening, thanks for your help.

Lindsey_>

I apologize for all the inconvenience caused to you.

Lindsey_>
You're welcome.

Bronze Member
Username: Barbblack

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 35
Thank you, Tina! (You showed incredible retraint, btw.)
Would it be okay if I post it on the "Discussions" page of the "I Have A Defective Sony TV" Facebook page? Besides Steve Linke's site, we are also gathering evidence there for people to use in their small claims and civil court cases.

It appears that you might be from California. That state has strong consumer protection laws. Two small claims cases against Sony have already been won there (out of the two filed). There's lots of very helpful material on Steve Linke's site (especially on his small claims suit page) which you can use as a blueprint. Basically, Steve has done 99% of the work for the rest of us.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 36
Ooops. (I mistook "LA" for Los Angeles.) You seem to be from Louisiana, Tina. Hopefully the consumer protection laws are good there as well.
Barb

LA USA

Post Number: 3
Barb you are welcome to do whatever you think may help everyone with fighting Sony.
I have not even looked into what options are available to us here in Louisiana, as far as consumer protection laws. I had considered myself lucky that I was able to get a new bulb under my extended warranty - we bought from the now defunct Circuit City & had their extended warranty.
The bulb went out with just 10 days left on the warranty & I had already seen the nightmares people were going through with the Circuit City mess... but without too much effort, I got a bulb mailed to me. We put it in & within a week the "BLOB" showed up... apparently the beginning of the end....
I'll start checking into consumer protect laws now... not like I have anything else to do - hmmm what is the date & I am a tax preparer - should get me in the right mood to do battle, huh!?

Username: Jimonator

Guelph, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Add me to the list KDS-60A2000 Purchased Dec 12 2006 Green haze. I have an Extened Warrenty with Future Shop till Dec 2010. I called and had a Tech show up who was quick to say optical block call Sony they will replace it for free but don't tell them you have an extened Warrenty. So I call Sony Canada who in turn say take a picture of the Green spots and a picture of your back panel showing the serial number and mail this to us. We may be able to give you 50-60% off a new TV but wait 10 days till they make a decision. So after reading all these posts I am not sure I want this set fixed and I am not going to give Sony any more money. I am not sure what to do next??

Username: Sdafoe

That is the sad part...what are we supposed to do next? I was the one offered the KDL52XBR9 for $550. I don't want to give them any more $$$ but that is a good price.

Guelph, Ontario Canada

I may Push Back on Future Shop, after all I paid $500 for an extened Warrenty they should replace my TV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Scott,

If you are being offered the KDL52XBR9 for $550, I assume you have a more recent rear-projection TV now (e.g., 2007 model), as that deal is likely below Sony's cost. Sony's original warranty describes repair or replacement. Their warranty extensions describe repair only. In theory, since it is likely that any repair would include an optical block with the same defects as the original, they should just replace your TV for free. You just have to decide whether you want to spend more money on a replacement, get a repair and hope for the best and exercise potential future legal rights if/when it fails, or exercise your legal rights now (implied warranty of merchantability requires that Sony provides you with a merchantable TV free of charge or gives you a refund).

Steve

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Jim,

I think you are in a similar situation as Scott, although Canada could be a bit different. 1 Free repair now with potential future failure and legal measures, 2 pay for a replacement TV at a discount (to be determined), or 3 insist on a replacement TV free of charge (either through Sony or Future Shop). In the US, in addition to the implied warranty of merchantability, which typically applies to the manufacturer, there is also an implied warranty of fitness, which typically applies to the store from which you bought the product. Future Shop could be on the hook for the extended warranty, as well as legally for selling you a defective TV that they represented as being non-defective.

Steve

Guelph, Ontario Canada

Thanks Steve, I am going to wait see what Sony Canada comes back with. I don't think I am going to settle for a Repair though.

No, I purchased mine in January of 06, KDSR60XBR1. If I recall, it's the same one you had. I live in Michigan and I haven't researched small claims yet. Someone said the max was $1500 which I find hard to believe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
I have a 2004 model KDF-55WF655. In any event, yours is only 6 months out of its warranty extension, so that is probably why you are being offered a replacement TV below Sony's cost. I think Sony improved their offers a bit recently, too. It appears that Michigan has a limit of $3,000 for small claims:
http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/selfhelp/smallclaims/sc_help.htm

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 37
There's a member of this forum who is scheduled to go to Small Claims court in Michigan on January 20th...unless he receives a better offer before then. Hopefully he will post his experience here.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Steve and Barbara. I can't believe I missed that post. I wonder what they do if I don't get back to them when my 2 weeks is up? I would definitely like to see what happens before I make a decision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Over the course of a couple months, I received at least 3 different offers from Sony with alleged 2-week expirations. The value of these offers escalated as my responses escalated (phone call, appeal to Executive Review Committee, and filing of small claims lawsuit). I don't think they take all offers off the table. The offers are likely just subject to change, depending on availability of individual TVs, and they may be reduced if enough time goes by and you have done nothing to keep it escalated.

Username: Scottw

add me to the list of disgruntled sony owners.

I have a KDS60A2000, bought in early Jan 2007.

I have a green haze that won't go away.

Sony Authorized repair technician was here 3weeks ago and verified its the optical block. Hadn't heard anything back from them so I called the repair shop and they said I had accepted the up-sell offer and that SONY therefore as denying the claim.

I was livid! SONY hasn't even been in touch with me so I haven't even had the chance to see what they'd offer.

Another great example of SONY customer "service".

Username: Rudenbark

Have sent/received a couple of emails. Early days, will be interesting to see what comes of this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Sony NZ Correspondence
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

From: ContactUs@ap.sony.com [mailto:ContactUs@ap.sony.com]
Posted At: Thursday, 7 January 2010 7:22 a.m.
Posted To: snzcic
Conversation: Service & Support - Cameron-Walker - Micah
Subject: Service & Support - Cameron-Walker - Micah

Below is the result of feedback form. It was submitted by Cameron-Walker Micah (Mikee & Cez) on 07/01/2010 02:21:50

Hi, I received a Sony Grand Wega KF-E42A10 as a replacement under warrentee/insurance. After less than 2 years a blue blotch appeared in the lower-right of the screen; it spread and now covers the bottom half of the screen. It has been quite disturbing to find out that this is an extremely common problem (quite possibly including every set?) and that these sets were okayed for sale despite recognition of the issue in production (see http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/ and related sites). Even worse is that these faulty products are still on shop shelves (don't worry, I'll be warning everyone in lieu of a recall). Can you please put me on the right track as to how to go about getting a replacement/repair? Thank you, Micah Cameron-Walker

----- Original Message -----
To: Mikee & Cez
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:08 AM
Subject: RE: Service & Support - Cameron-Walker - Micah

Hi Micah

Thank you for contacting Sony NZ.

Apologies for the delay in responding to you. The website you are referring to is an American website where they have acknowledged the Optical Block Issue on Rear Projection TVs. Within Sony NZ we have had very few issues with Rear Projection TVs showing this fault, but there is no Product Recall for NZ models

We would advise you to have your TV assessed by an Authorised Service Centre. Dependent on the age and condition of your TV they can then assess the TV and send a Technical Enquiry to Sony ASC Support team to see if we can help out with any costs. Sony no longer make Rear Projection TVs and all our models are Bravia LCD flat screens.

We hope this helps resolve your query. If not, or more information is required, please contact us on 0800 SONY NZ (0800 766 969).

To help us continue to improve on our service, we invite you to participate in an online survey, please click here.

Kind regards,

The Team @ Sony

Sony Solutions Centre

25 Nugent Street, Grafton, Auckland, New Zealand

Telephone +64-9-970 1200 Facsimile +64-9-970 1213

Toll Free: 0800 SONY NZ (766 969)

Sony New Zealand Limited

PO Box 100-045, North Shore Mail Centre

Maximise your Sony experience & register your product at www.mysony.co.nz

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't afford to take the TV in to be looked at, much less afford repairs (or even part repairs). If Sony is able to organise a technical assessment gratis then I'd be most appreciative!

I note I made a mistake with the email, should have been "After less than 3 years....".

I received this email after just now sending an email to (what I assume is) the American office with a more detailed account of what the problem is. Would you like a forwarded copy?

Thanks,
Micah

Sony US Correspondence

To: Mikee & Cez
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:39 AM
Subject: KFE42A10 E43804841

I'm HankLCD4E from SonyListens and I have read your issue. We would like the opportunity to review your situation. Please contact us at SonyListens@am.sony.com. Please include the model number and serial number of your unit, detailed information regarding the issue you are having, and your contact information, including your telephone number.

To: sonylistens
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: KFE42A10 E43804841

Hi Hank,

The full story:
My wife is pretty physically ill, she isn't able to get out or do much, spends most of her time at home. Being that the TV has ended up being a large part of her life (not completely by choice you understand) I figured we might as well invest in a decent set. So a few years ago we ended up getting a Samsung rear projection TV, paid big money thinking we were investing in a quality product that'd last us for a considerable time. Unfortunately it died - don't know what was wrong with it (obviously neither did the inept repairers, lol).

We were given the run-around by the warrentee/insurance company. They tried replacing the set with a very basic version - the one we had bought was the top of the line that by that point was no longer being made, the one they wanted us to accept was the budget model of the same line with none of the features of the other set and costing about a third of the price (the budget set cost considerably less than what was left of the hire purchase agreement!). Eventually, and with the assistance of the appliance store we had gotten it through, we reached a compromise. We accepted a Sony Grand Wega as a replacement. We weren't 100% happy with the deal, it's not a TV we would have bought if in the market and it still didn't have many of the features we had bought the Samsung for. But it was much better than the budget alternative and pretty much the best resolution we were going to get (I would have much preferred a straight model-to-model replacement, but like I said they didn't make them anymore, so the Sony was pretty much the best we could hope for).

After having the Sony for less than 3 years a blue blotch appeared in the lower-right of the screen (we received the set approx March 2006, the issue started Dec'08-Jan'09). I knew what it was that was causing it, I've seen plenty enough of cases of "LCD bleed" to know that the panel was knackered. Was out of warrentee, and hadn't been able to afford a new extended warrentee when settling with the Sony. On top of that the 'blue haze' started at a very awkward time - within the same month our car died (the engine went, and we were still paying it off); the washing machine started breaking down; DVD player started playing up. And too by this point I was no longer working. So not only could we not afford repairs, but the TV was pretty much the least of our worries at the time.

Over the year (the 'blue haze' started approx 12 months ago) it got progressly worse. At this point the 'blue haze' runs along the bottom of the screen and up the right side with further patches of light discolouration spread over screen. Also a vertical bar of 'yellow haze' is in the middle of the screen, the width being about 1/4-1/3 of the total screen width.

Being that the home life has settled down somewhat now and I'm hopeful of (maybe) acquiring a job at some point in the near future, I thought I'd go on online (this has been within the last week) to see if it was possible to privately acquire the parts that need replacing and find out how much they would cost, hoping that maybe we could look at having it fixed at some point. It was then that I found out that this is by no means an isolated problem; I found that a large percentage of Sony Wega customers had experienced the nigh exact same issue with their sets.

Having a large number of customers with the same TV (ie Wega line) having the same problem is disconcerting and pretty bad, but what really got my heckles up was finding Sony knew these products were faulty (design flaw) yet continued to produce and sell them. Even worse is that despite the obvious discontent with many Wega customers and the design flaw ostensibly having not been resolved, Sony has not taken reasonable steps to resolve the matter and in fact these faulty products are still on store shelves. 'Recalls' and 'extended warrentees' have been kept very quiet, a large number of customers not having any knowledge of such things until after deadlines of such 'deals'; no letters to registered customers or media advertising regarding the fault as many other brands would do (and have done). In fact, if customer comments and internet forums are to be believed it would seem that on some occassions Sony have even outrightly lied by denying any knowledge of the well documented fault.

If the problem was just due to 'bad luck', improper use, or wear-and-tear I'd be quite happy to financially resolve the matter out of my own pocket (not 'happy' in the 'glad to do it' sense, but 'happy' as in I could fully accept that it's my problem and nothing to do with the manufacturer). But it's very obvious from the screeds of material on the matter that the problem with my TV is due to a manufacturing defect. We've looked after, and continue to look after, the TV very well. We don't to anything stupid or unusual with it (ie we use it for what it is intended to be used for and in the method it is supposed to be used). And while it does indeed get plenty of use, it would be fair to say that it doesn't get an extraordinary amount of use.

We ultimately paid a lot of money (for us) for this TV, a 'one off' purchase for our household, and due to a design fault (obviously beyond our control) it's had an extremely short life span. It's unreasonable in my opinion that we should be penaltised (out of pocket and in possession of a faulty product) for something that is wholly a manufacturing issue and the responsibility of Sony.

I'd be eternally greatful if this issue could please be resolved. Here are the details:

Personal
Name: - Micah Cameron-Walker
Address: - Morrinsville,
New Zealnd
Phone: -
email: - Mikee & Cez

Television
Line: -Sony Grand Wega
Model: - KF-E42A10
Serial: - 1000121
Year: - received early 2006, pretty sure it's a 2005 model

Thanks,
Micah

EDIT - Have just now received and email from NZ Sony that there was no recall for NZ models. Rather unfortunately since the problem with my TV is clearly the same issue afflicting the US counterparts.

Do I expect to get anywhere? Ha, yeah right! Lol.
But gotta try eh. And that's some pretty crappy business practices right there, can't just let that go.

Guelph, Ontario Canada

I don't know what they need to review 70% of my screen is Green lol.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sony.

Please be advised that we have successfully received your documentation and your file has been transferred to our Support Group for review.

A representative from our Support Group will be contacting you shortly with an update.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation.

Regards,

Username: Jfaaborg

Post Number: 5
Just got off the phone with Dino ID CJER in regards to my demand letter I mailed to Sony on 1/9/10 (Thankx Steve). got the offer to pay for half the repair. I asked him if the OB was fully re-engineered. He couldn't answer the question. I asked him if Sony will extend my warranty 5 yrs, he said it was only a 90 day warranty. My next demand was a comparable TV at no charge. He couldn't do anything there. He is now going to have my case reviewed to see what better offers Sony may have. Sounds like a ploy to waste my time.

Username: Jjhawksjj

It is a ploy to waste your time... I too received a call yesterday from Hank Leclair. He was calling me from Sony's Consumer Affair Department in regards to the multiple e-mail demands I sent to Sony's brass. I too received the offer to pay for half of the repair. I also received the standard Sony discount on their new line of TV's they're offering. When I told him that I also had a third option (which is taking them to small claims court here in Ohio) he said that there wasn't anything he could do about that. He was very cold and very unsympathetic to the position Sony has put all of us in.

The only answer left at this point is to take them to court.

I sincerely hope that our voices will be loud enough to prevent other people from ever purchasing a Sony product again. Nothing would make me feel better than to know that we have created a MAJOR dent in their ability to sell ANY of their products.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 38
I've also deal with Hank "Darth Vader" Leclaire. He even spelled his name for me so I got it right. (Okay, he didn't include the Star Wars reference.) He's just a higher level of the Sony "slow walk", and he fabricates Sony's version of the truth whenever it suits him.

Sue, people, sue. They will leave you no other option.

I just opened a case with the Ohio Attorney General's Office. I'll see what they have to say as I continue to move forward.

Username: Homebrewer66

I just recieved my first offer from Sony. Same as everyone else, 50% repair and discount on a new TV blah blah blah.

I filed a complaint with the FTC and hope other on this fourm do also. Sony needs to do a complete recall of affected TV's. Here is the link to the complaint.
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Username: Martman

OK guys I feel your pain as an owner of a 50inch with optical block failure. But let's get real. Sony doesn't HAVE to offer anything for our out of warranty TVs. They are acknowledging an engineering problem that there was in no way they could have anticipated 5 years down the road. So, I took one of the deals on a new direct view TV they were offering. I didn't have to go to the courthouse, file suit, hire a lawyer or spend any empty money. Rather I got a nice TV for probably less than the lawyer would have cost, not to mention wasting hours of my time researching and dealing with the whole thing. I plan on sending my OB to get repaired and I will have two very nice TVs. Also, the delivery man (they use private delivery companies for the replacement TVs) told me that he has delivered a lot of the new Sonys but has dealt with 5 times more Samsungs being returned, in fact he said it was crazy how many Samsungs he has picked up. So, what is the deal? Are you people really that bored? Get over it and get a new TV and stop clogging the courts over BS. That is the problem now with the court system. If Sony were not offering any acknowledgement or compensation then I could see the point. And no, I don't work for or am in any way affiliated with Sony, I am just a guy who realizes that a company that makes thousands of products is going to have issues with some of them eventually.

Username: Nickfatooee

I have a 4 year old KDF-E50A10 and noticed a yellow tint over the middle of the screen. Thinking it was the original bulb finally failing I replaced it with a new original Philips type. The problem was only made more noticeable and "brighter"! I called SONY and so far my suspected problem of the optics block failure has still not received any answer back from some "consultation" now taking place at SONY Central. Personally, I think I'm getting the runaround so I am joining any and all efforts to hold SONY's feet tothe firs and do right by all of us who have purchase an expensive ($2100 in my case) and FLAWED product. Besides the 4 other SONY (CRT) tv's I have in my house, (one over 35 years old and still cranking out a dynamite picture) this is the worst!

Marty, there are over 2000 posts on this site alone. Some are duplicate but with the mass quantity of posts issues with these TV's is evident.
This is an inherent problem with these TV's Sony manufactured and sold a defective product and from what I know they kept on selling this product after they knew of the issue.

If you do not hold companies accountable for the products they produce then we as consumers will loose.

Username: Nickfatooee

So do folks like me have any recourse at this point or is even posting this a total waste of time? Granted, I'm still waiting to hear anything from SONY but assuming I get no satisfaction, what would be next course of action, if any?..I don't wish to be walked down the garden path and get my hopes up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Marty H,

It was your choice to pay for a discounted replacement TV from Sony out of convenience, and many people will likely take that option. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a personal choice. However, that option is probably more equitable for Sony than it is for its customers.

You stated that Sony has acknowledged the engineering problem. If that is true, please provide some documentation, as that would be very useful to us. Unfortunately, the truth is that Sony denies any specific design problems.

You also question why others are complaining and not just accepting Sony's offered compensation. What you fail to realize is that Sony's offers were not even available until forums like this started filling up with complaints and people realized how widespread the problems were. More recently, with successful small claims suits accumulating, the discount offers have improved. So, ironically, you likely would have received far worse compensation from Sony--or nothing at all--on your TV if people did what you are requesting.

Beyond that, Sony was issued patents in which their own inventors discuss the problems with heat and light degrading the parts in the optical blocks of rear-projection liquid crystal TVs. The inventions for which they received the patents were designed to avoid these problems. Most or all of these patents were written by Sony long before they even started producing the TVs, yet they did not include the improved designs in their optical blocks--perhaps due to cost.

Sony started producing these TVs in 2002, and, by mid-2005, the reports started accumulating. Yet, Sony likely manufactured around 2 million or more TVs after that point in time. Had they done some long-term testing, they should have known about the problems even earlier than that. So, this was not a case of problems that Sony could not have anticipated.

Steve

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Nickfatooee,

Please see my Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems web site for a description of the problem and options.

Steve

Bronze Member
Username: Ishscyn

Post Number: 18
Steve,

You're honestly my hero. Well said.

It took me a year to get a refund of half the "repair" cost I paid in January of 2009. It may be all I get, but I'm not finished, yet.

-Cynthia

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 39
Hey, Cynthia!
Please sign me up as another member of the "Steve Linke Fan Club"!
Barb

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Thanks, Cynthia and Barb! And thanks for keeping the growing membership of our defective TV club up to speed.

Now, some potentially great news. Just a few minutes ago, I became aware of a relatively substantial small claims victory in New York City. I want to get permission from the Plaintiff on the level of detail they are willing to provide before saying any more. However, I would like to point out that the victory came very near Sony America's corporate headquarters, and it was accomplished against one of Sony's staff counselors. I think this could be quite remarkable!

Bronze Member
Username: Simply_bill

Post Number: 23
My lawyer got my paperwork today to review. He can't go with me to court but he can go over the paperwork. In Florida after filing we are required to go to the court for the first hearing as mediation. Then if we can't come to a settlement, the judge hears the case on another date.

Just imagine Sony as the "Little Dutch Boy" more and more holes in the dike!

Facebook - I Have A Defective Sony TV

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 40
I loved your earlier analogy of eating the "elephant" one mouthful at a time, Bill. Looks like we just might be doing just that! :-)

Awesome news, Steve! Hope the person who won the latest victory will be open to sharing details with the rest of us.

Username: Todd_d

I also had a defective 50" Sony HD WEGA which I purchased Jan 21, 2005 for $3200. I don't use my TV all that much but I now have the blue blob - THANKS SONY FOR GIVING ME A KNOWN DEFECTIVE BIG SCREEN TV!!!!!! I also paid $400 for a warrenty that is expired by now. So, when Steve gets the info about the latest victory in Small Claims I hope he puts out a step by step process for us to follow. I'm sorry if this was already put out there. I have been to Steve's site and I seen my TV there. Just sucks! My old Sears 19" TV lasted 16 years and was still working when I replaced it with this defective Sony. Thanks again SONY for that KNOWN DEFECTIVE HD TV!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
A new Wega video on Youtube. Pass it on quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYDy8Rzimc

Bill

Facebook- I Have A Defective Sony TV

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 41
Fedex just delivered this letter to my door from Sony:
January 13, 2010
Westborough District Court
186 Oak Street
Westborough, MA 01581
Re: Barbara Black v. Sony Electronics Inc.: Docket No. XXXXXXX
Dear Sir/Madam:
The above referenced case is scheduled for trial on March 23, 2010, at 1:00 PM. Due to a scheduling conflict, SEL is requesting an Adjournment, in the above referenced case. Also, SEL is unable to have a representative present at the hearing to request the Adjournment.
Thank you for your considration in this matter.
Sincerely,
[signature area was blank]
Sony Electronic Inc.
cc: Barbara Black

It will be nearly four months between the time that I filed my paperwork until I have my date in court, and I not interested in waiting any longer. So I called the courthouse and was relieved to learn that Sony cannot simply request that the court change the date. It can be done only in cases of dire emergency or by agreement between the Defendant (Sony) and the Plaintiff (me). And there's no way I'm agreeing to a change. I'm interpreting this as just another of Sony's delaying tactics...especially given the use of the word "adjournment."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I think they can claim a dire emergency, They have their head stuck up their rears!

Bronze Member
Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 52
Barbara - Are you going to small claims or regular court. It would cost more in the beginning, but I would love for someone (other than class action) to go to regular court and get a nice big punitive amount from them. With all of Steve's documentation, especially the patents, and their actions after the fact, it would be lovely to see the first person in real court win or settle for bucks. Sony repaired my tv for free, but without giving me a warranty even after a demand letter ... I guess I could sue for that, but for sure when the ob goes again. My set is not part of any of the class actions, plus there is that little matter of the defect that is causing the lamp door on my set to warp, so I have a couple more reasons to go to regular court. Barbara, thanks for going forward and staying strong. It is a joy to read your posts. Lisa

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 42
Thanks for the kind words, Lisa. This would be a very lonely road without all the support we Wega victims are giving each other!
I'm taking the Small Claims court route. I just don't have the finances to hire a lawyer and go for a civil suit. (Even with all Steve's evidence, there are no guarantees of winning in either venue.) However, Torris on the Facebook site, is suing for treble damages in Washington State, i believe. The New York Wega victims might be considering getting together for a civil suit as well. There is a reported substantial small claims win in New York. There's a case scheduled to be heard in Michigan on Jan. 20th. Seems that the whole Defective Sony issue is gathering quite a head of steam. And today's YouTube video from Brian Flounders added some fun and levity (and hopefully lots more "fans") to the battle. As Bill has said, we're eating the elephant one bite at a time.

All the best in any action you decide to take in getting your own "Satisfaction" from Sony. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Barb

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Here are the comments I wrote for the US Consumer Product Saftey Commission report I filled out, with regards to the warped lamp door on my tv. Reports such as mine can be filed at https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

I own a Sony tv model KDF60XBR950. Through a Sony recall, I have had the lamp door replaced. The warping was caused by components which heated to the point that they were able to warp the adjacent door. Only the door was replaced though. Sony would not fix the parts that were causing the heat build up. Given the fact that the problematic parts are still in the tv, I am concerned that my 3 yr old daughter may touch the lamp door as it heats up and warps again. She is at a very accessible height to the door. It is situated on the front of the tv, directly in the middle, along the bottom edge. I have contacted Sony but, it seems, even with so many recalls of their rear projection LCD tvs, they deny there are any defective parts and, therefore, have no concern about what injuries or damage these parts may cause.

Also, I would like to note that it has come to my attention that my tv is not unique in having problems. The complaints on this product have shown that every LCD rear projection tv Sony has ever made had the heat-related defect and it has come to my attention that "Sony was issued patents in which their own inventors discuss the problems with heat and light degrading the parts in the optical blocks of rear-projection liquid crystal TVs. The inventions for which they received the patents were designed to avoid these problems. Most or all of these patents were written by Sony long before they even started producing the TVs, yet they did not include the improved designs in their optical blocks." The defect which caused the optical blocks to burn up is the same as that which caused my television's door to warp. I believe this shows there is a defect which was of notable concern to Sony, at one point in time, so it may be seen how this may be of concern to me, and others, now. I am writing this as an alert before my child, or any child, is burned or one of these tvs burns down someone's home.

Finally, I would like to note that I have been a registered owner of my television since I bought it in 2004, however, I happened upon the lamp door recall myself. I was never contacted by Sony with regards to this recall or any others that affected my television, even though they have always had all my contact information.

Username: Jongohlke

I called Sony last week, and was told I would be contacted by a customer specialist early this week about a solution to my bad optical block. They didn't call, so I called today.
Here's their offer: $225 off the repair cost or $225 voucher at the Sony Style store.
That's pathetic. That doesn't even cover the cost of their defective part. I paid $2800 for the TV and another $500 for the 4 year in-store extended warranty. I told them no thanks.
My KF-50WE610 lasted just past the in-store warranty before the blue stars came out.

Interesting.
Email I got from NZ Sony is that, "Within Sony NZ we have had very few issues with Rear Projection TVs showing this fault." When the repair guy picked it up on Friday, knew exactly all about what the problem was (and confirmed it straight away with mine) and told me all about what they do to fix these TVs. Has got me wondering just how many occurances there have been over here.

Anyway, the repair guy said that as well as replcing the block, they repair them they also upgrade the telly by installing a better cooling/ventilation system.
Do they do anything similar for the repairs over there in the US?

Username: Lumpyt

Its amazing that the sony engineers can produce a product that will fail and self destruct after all the warranties have expired. Then you have to pony up 1 grand to MAYBE fix the problem that may last only a year or two if your lucky. That sounds like the best business model ever invented. NOT!!!. SONY SUCKS sell your sony stock because the company is going down.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 43
Results of Small Claims Court Hearing in Michigan. 1/20/2010
(Posted by permission from H. Meyer, the plaintiff. )
The White Hats 4--- Sony 0
I had my court date today and it went well.
Sony flew two people up from Florida. That had to cost them something. A lady - Margaret French, manager, National Service Support- did all the talking. We were directed to the hall to try to reach a compromise. She offered only what was sent in the mail- a discount on a new Sony. One additional perk- 1/2 the repair cost. She then produced a two inch thick document which was said to be a FEDERAL!!! court judgement that assurred my failure. I rejected it. She said I was notified TWICE about the extended warranty- by letter and by email. I was not notified even once. She said if I didn't receive the notification, it was not Sony's fault. (She even told the judge that I elected not to opt out of the class action case.) We then went to the court room where I was ask to present my case. I presented a binder to the judge that was 3/4" thick. The 12 sections were as follows: 1) Michigan Consumer Protection Act, 2) Bill of Sale, Photo of Green Screen 3) HDTV Long Term Inventment Article 4) Average TV Lifespan articles 5) Repair Costs 6) Current Value of my TV from Craigslist 7) Steve L's article 8) Typical Customer Complaints- 35 printed pages, 141 pages on a CD 9)Sony Warranty Extensions from Steve L 10) Customers with two failures- Barb Black and Steve L 11) NBC news coverage article and finally 12) a copy of the settled class action lawsuit.
My biggest error: I quoted repair costs of $1000- $1500. The judge ask if I could get it back to new condition for $1500. I must have suffered a minor stroke at this time because I said I got one quote for $1000. DON'T EVEN THINK OF DOING THIS. You can guess what I was awarded.
Twice the judge complimented my organization so that is important. Quote the HIGH repair cost- dah. Provide a picture of screen at its worst. Reference your states Consumer Protectioin Act. List any news coverage.
Good Luck
Additional Comments:
The federal document I referred to was just a copy of the class action suit. I think they padded it knowing that it was just too big for the judge to look at. After the verdict they ask for it back. Neither of the two Sony people were attorneys. After we left the court room, the Sony female said to get my set fixed and have the bill sent to them. I said NO, I want a check. I had to take her back into the court room to get it clarified. I can just imagine Sony keeping the difference if it only cost $900. They could have actually kept my court costs, which were part of the settlement.
Moral: Make sure the judge specifies that Sony gives you a check for the settlement.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 44
Steve Linke's response (From "Get Satisfaction" Blog website):
hzmeyer,
1. Congratulations on your win! It is interesting that Sony flew people up from Florida to defend the lawsuit. I'm sure they knew that the travel expenses, employee time, etc. would cost them as much as any judgment against them. This suggests that their actuaries feel that it is more important to defend the lawsuits so that precedents don't start getting set around the country, which might open the flood gates. Momentum seems to be building against them, though, and I don't think they've properly accounted for the loss of loyalty of us premium customers.
2. Would you like to add your case to my web site? If so, any and all documentation you have would be appreciated. I can redact any personal information, if you wish (or you can do that before sending it to me). Otherwise, I can just write a summary.
3. My only further suggestion, which applies to any future cases, would have been to make it clear that a "repair" is likely insufficient relief, because the replacement optical blocks have the same defects and will fail just like the originals. That may coax the judge to provide a prorated refund of the original purchase price based on trouble-free usage. That would not necessarily have worked in this case, and, in other cases, perhaps the repair cost would result in a larger judgment. However, it is something to keep in mind. -- Steve Linke,

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 45
Additional comment from H. Meyer about his case:
"Small Claims After Thoughts
If the judge asks you if you would be happy to get your set fixed, don't say yes. I did and that's all I got. I even had half a page of calculations showing when the failures would re-occur. He said I wasn't a fortune teller and it might never happen again. Instead, I should have said no, I want to replace it with another brand- I have lost my faith in Sony.
This might not work either but I know the first approach fell short of expectations."

LA USA

I have the "blob" spreading more each day on my KDF-55WF655...

I'm getting ready to see how the consumer protection laws go here in Louisiana, so I thought I had better call Sony & get "my special offer because they value me as a loyal customer"... hmm, in my chat session posted a few weeks ago, "there were no known issues"; now it seems that Jason "believes that my tv is suffering from an optical block issue" - No S#@&, Sherlock!
My offer (special as it is): $325 off my repairs or $325 off a purchase for a replacement from sonystyle.
Of course I told Jason that I had already given Sony all I was ever going to give them & I will do my best to let everyone I know how they "support their loyal customers"... also told him I was going to check on shipping costs to have the hunk of crap delivered to Sony HQ...
UGGGhhhh, jerks!

Username: Mjm4088

Sony deserves this one even more -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ&feature=video_response

lolololol - Jerks!!!

Post Number: 6
Received a call week before last from Dino which was 50% off the repair of my TV. End result was I did not accept the offer, but he wanted to see what better offer the "executive review committee" was going to further offer me. I got the insult from them as $225 off my repair, or $225 off a new TV... Guess they think I'll just go away. NOT! Small claims here I come

Username: Cyadmark

Ann Arbor, MI United States

Hello there, new to the forums. Discovered this when researching the problem on my KDSR60XBR1, yellow blotch spreading from the right of my screen. emailed Sony support - they said sorry, you missed out. Not sure what I'm going to do. Likely just try my hand at replacing the block myself using the TriState repair, then relegating the TV to infrequent use. One thing for sure Sony will never see a cent from me again, and I have spent maybe 15K on Sony stuff over my lifetime. And I will absolutely advocate against Sony from here on forward.

Username: Jhernandez86

Culver City, California Usa

ok so here is my problem. I purchased a sony Bravia model: KDF60XBR950 on 3/13/2006. I also have an extended 5 year warranty. I have contacted the extended warranty 3 times for repair with the same issue. The tv does not turn on and I get 6 flashes and then it powers of. The first time, I was told it was something to do with the power source. Unfortunately, I was not hope to speak with the tech. Second time, it was the door, and all the guy did was to open the door and close it again, and everything was back to normal. But, this time I notice to discoloring on the door. Third time, the extended warranty company refer me back to sony, because this issue was a known issue and sony was taking care of it.

The tech that came out told me that it was no replaceable and unsafe to turn the tv on. I contact customer relations and was offer the following.

KDL52V5100 with one year warranty at $600 plus tax or
KDL52V5100 with 90 day warranty free.

However, my contract with the extended warranty states, that it will be replaced with a comparable tv (60") or my money back.

Sony told me that ether take it or leave it and if I want a new tv, I will have to contact the extended warranty.

Which I did, so they are now sending a technician to see what they can do.

The official statement from Sony is that this is not a recall, but they want to do good on their promise.

I am still thinking on the free replacement, but did I mention that is a refurbish product?

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 46
If you believe a refurbed Sony will be something you can depend on, go take the free one. You know now how Sony will stand behind it if you have a problem...NOT! BTW, I believe your TV is a WEGA, not a Bravia. At least that's how it's listed on Steve Linke's site.http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

You are correct. It's a WEGA. And I am still trying to make a decision on what to do before my wife gets home and finds out the options. She never like my rear projection, and this will be great news to her and force me to take the SONY REFURBISH product.

There are many advantages about been marry, but this is not one of them.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 47
I hear ya, Jose! Definitely take the free TV. If/when it breaks, you can always tell her "I told you so!". ;-)

Username: Mcneesek

> She never like my rear projection

Jose, I've got to admit that my wife doesn't like my rear projections either. They aren't THAT bad. :-)

Yeap, we are going with the Refurbish KDL52V5100 and the 90 days warranty. I do not have the energy to drag this longer. Nonetheless, thank you all for all the information and help.

I will keep you posted/

Username: Tgirl14

Let's all contact Brian Ross from ABC , he is the king of getting wrongs, righted , look what he has gotten Toyota to do about their cars with the gas pedal problems , they tried stone walling also, look where it got them!

Username: Sonysux

Here is my story...
I have a KDF55WF655 that I purchased in May 2005...$3200...I stated having the blue blob and dots problem in the fall of 2007. I sent the following e-mail at the time .

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Email Address: andre..com Future Mail : No
Name : andre
Address :
:
: bradenton, FL 34203
Phone : 941-
Product Type : Television
Prod Category: Television: Rear Projection
Issue : Other Not Listed
O/S : Not Applicable
Model/SN : KDF-55WF655 /
Type : Support
Region : US

Message : My television that was purchased in May of 2005 now has over 100 blue dots located on about 1/3 of the screen. It started about 2 months ago. Every day there are more blue dots. I also have the &quotBlue Blob&quot issue on the bottom left of the screen. I see many people talking about the &quotblue blob&quot on internet discussion groups. Is Sony going to stand by their products and repair this problem? I paid $3200 for this TV and it should last more then 1 1/2 years. I eagerly await your response.

Sony responded with the following:

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We understand that blue dots are seen on the screen of your Television and are increasing day by day. We would like to forward a URL link for additional coverage information regarding the Television. And please check if you are facing similar issues. Please click on the URL link mentioned below to review the information.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KDF55WF655&news_id=127

NOTE: If you are facing same issues please click on the hyperlink of the claim form.

We hope that the above mentioned information will be helpful to you. In case you have any further query, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your Sony Email Response Team
CP98
Samuel

I went through with the repair that they offered at the time. Now I have the problem again...started in 11/09.

I called support and they offered me the $325 crap.. They said they would e-mail me the offer. I waited a week and called them back asking where the e-mail offer was..."Charlie" told me that he was unable to e-mail me a written offer...only over the telephone. What a load of garbage....and I told him so. He wrote in my file that "I had declined the offer as it did not meet my expectations" I am in Florida and I may look into the small claims idea....a bunch of work though...There is a guy on ebay that will rebuild the block for $180. Has anyone done that with success?

Tgirl14 - I'd be glad to help contact this guy if you think we'd be able to get his attention.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 48
Welcome to the "Multiple Optical Block Failure Club". You have an excellent case for a small claims suit. Post on the http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=mf site to connect with the other Floridians who are currently working on their own suits.

Be sure to read Steve Linke's Small Claims website: http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-optical block/small-claims-lawsuits as well as his main website on the subject.

Anyone wishing to contact Brian Ross (chief investigative reporter at ABC who broke the Toyota problem that is all over the news today), go to ABC click on Blotter at the top of the page and then click on send tip to Brian Ross, I did already! We can get this done, Sony has no right to be doing this to consumers.

Username: Snarf412

Here's my KDF-50WE655:

Upload

I was offerd $400 for repair or the KDL-52V5100 for $1350
This picture was taken in November, so it is much worse today.

Correction google, Brian Ross abc news, then hit Blotter at the top of the page, then hit send tips to Brian Ross. Lets all do it , because all this time we are spending in these blogs is great for records of complaints , but we need the story out there to get Sony off their duffs and fix this problem they are trying to sweep under the carpet.

Username: Snarf412

Here's a direct link for Brian Ross:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/BrianRoss/page?id=3247430

I have sent my tip to Brian Ross.

Username: Sonysux

I also just sent a tip to Brian Ross

Thanks bjh, lets hope everyone fills up his mailbox with this I'm going to post this web address on all the other blogs that I know about, you do the same

Bob I like your username! clipart{lame}

I too sent my tip to Brian Ross. Let's hope everyone does this and that they find this problem worth investigating.

oops Bob that was supposed to be a at the end

I submitted our case to Brian Ross as well. Thanks for posting the link - I hope we hear back from them. This is a huge mistake by Sony. Brian Ross has a David vs. Goliath story on his hands here. They make billions of our hard earned dollars, and in return I have a blue paper weight!!!

Post Number: 7
Shouldn't be a problem Mike, he started reporting on the Toyota problems in November, here we are mid Jan. and they are halting production and sales of their problem cars, after trying to sweep their issues under the carpet like Sony is trying to do. They count on the public being to busy or disengaged to do anything, I think that line of thinking will cost them big time if they don't get on the ball and face up to this!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
This is what I just sent to Brian Ross -

This is a copy of the complaint I sent to the US Consumer Product Saftey Commission. It tells you the story. I also posted this on Jan 14, 2010 at -

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html

There you will find the posts of thousands who own these defective tvs, which Sony is either reluctant, or refuses, to fix or replace.

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 07:34 pm:
------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the comments I wrote for the US Consumer Product Saftey Commission report I filled out, with regards to the warped lamp door on my tv. Reports such as mine can be filed at https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

I own a Sony tv model KDF60XBR950. Through a Sony recall, I have had the lamp door replaced. The warping was caused by components which heated to the point that they were able to warp the adjacent door. Only the door was replaced though. Sony would not fix the parts that were causing the heat build up. Given the fact that the problematic parts are still in the tv, I am concerned that my 3 yr old daughter may touch the lamp door as it heats up and warps again. She is at a very accessible height to the door. It is situated on the front of the tv, directly in the middle, along the bottom edge. I have contacted Sony but, it seems, even with so many recalls of their rear projection LCD tvs, they deny there are any defective parts and, therefore, have no concern about what injuries or damage these parts may cause.

Also, I would like to note that it has come to my attention that my tv is not unique in having problems. The complaints on this product have shown that every LCD rear projection tv Sony has ever made had the heat-related defect and it has come to my attention that "Sony was issued patents in which their own inventors discuss the problems with heat and light degrading the parts in the optical blocks of rear-projection liquid crystal TVs. The inventions for which they received the patents were designed to avoid these problems. Most or all of these patents were written by Sony long before they even started producing the TVs, yet they did not include the improved designs in their optical blocks." The defect which caused the optical blocks to burn up is the same as that which caused my television's door to warp. I believe this shows there is a defect which was of notable concern to Sony, at one point in time, so it may be seen how this may be of concern to me, and others, now. I am writing this as an alert before my child, or any child, is burned or one of these tvs burns down someone's home.

Username: Parplus

High River, Alberta Canada

Today Sony Canada made an offer.

KDL55EX500 for $ 550 + tax, shipping included (LCD)
KDL60EX500 for $1,000 + tax, " " (LCD)
KDL60EX700 for $1,375 + tax, " " (LED/LCD)

These are 2010 models available the last week of February.

No offer to repair or cost split the repair. They know it won't last.
Thinking, thinking, thinking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
I just sent to Brian Ross as well. I figured there was no reason for him to do extra work, so I wanted him to have all these links at his fingertips -

I just sent a post regarding a story on defective Sony tvs. I forgot to mention another website with extensive research and information on the defective Sony tvs. It starts with this introduction, "Between 2002 and 2007, Sony Electronics Inc. manufactured numerous large-screen TV models based on rear-projection liquid crystal microdisplay technologies, including conventional liquid crystal display (LCD) and liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS, called SXRD by Sony). This represents a total of about 3.5 million TVs for which Sony generated approximately $8 billion in revenue. Before 2002, Sony focused on rear-projection cathode ray tube (CRT) technology, and since 2007, they have focused on direct-view (flat-panel) LCD technology." Here is the link -

http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

Further, there is a well made video on YouTube regarding the problem -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYDy8Rzimc

And finally, there is a facebook page which was started after Sony shut down the ability to 'share' on its facebook page after disgruntled customers flooded its page with negative posts non-stop. Here is the link for the Facebook page - I Have a Defective Sony TV -

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=mf

I have also submitted pretty much the same to the BBB, as well as to the FTC.

Bronze Member
Username: Smooth54

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 20
Just sent my story to Brian at ABC

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 49
Sent mine as well.
It's worth a try. Hopefully this is one media outlet that hasn't been "bought" by Sony advertising money.

Username: Gothmartha

Just sent mine too. It should at least catch their attention as we are spread out all over the world.

Post Number: 7
Mine is in there too.

Username: Nnazim

i sent mine too

btw, sony offered me $325 for my 42" tv. I said, no thank you.

Username: Mombasa00

CA US

Another one bites the dust!!!

My KDS-60A2000 is yellowing! Called Sony and they say that "not all" but "few" (clever way of putting it I must say) have shown this issue so no recall has been made but they will pay for a full repair. I am to call an authorized service center to get it fixed. I confirmed that I will not have to pay a penny out of my pocket. So hope that's true.

However, after reading all the info here including a very informative site by Steve (you are the man!! Thanks a whole bunch for all that you have put together and continue to keep updated), I am concerned that it will fail gain in a couple of years and they are only offering a 90 day warranty on the "new" part.

Should I take the all cost paid fix or do I stand a chance to fight for more warranty on a "new" part? Is it even new?

Post Number: 8
Mombs,
How did you get a full repair offer? Just curious?

CA US

Tgirl, I didn't do anything specific. All he asked me was the model and serial number and he said it was one of the "few" that falls in the units with issues.

He would not extend the 90 days warranty to anything more. I thought I read here that one should ask for 5yrs on the new part but he didn't budge on that.

LA USA

Since I know it is going to have to be replaced - my Grand Wega Sony Hunka Junk - Sam's is having a sale on the 55" Vizio XVT Tru-LED 240Hz 1080p HDTV for $1597.
What do ya'll think? We all know we are not buying Sony ever again, but it sure has made a cautious consumer out of me!
Your inputs will be welcome!

The lesson I learned is that to buy a tv which is at a sweet spot for pricing. At this time, the best bang for buck can be gotten for LG 47" 120Hz LCD tv for about $800 (seen this at frys many times)
Dont go for LED tv's yet as they are too new of a technology (like those pathetic lcd RP tvs!)
Have you seen those cheap LED flashlights? Of the 4 I have owned, all of them went bad within 6 months. So LED may be reliable in theory but quality will vary a lot at this time.
BTW the 55" visio is available at costco too for the same price.

Post Number: 9
Gee guys, what happened to our other forum" Get Satisfaction" site, Sony was using it for heads up to future suits, helped them for a little while, now it just forces everyone to a site they can't control, and I hope before they shut it down that Brian Ross or at least his aides from ABC had a chance to collect the info there! Well at least if they do investigate , they still have the facebook page, the AWESOME YOU TUBE video someone made, and this forum.
P.S. anyone new to this site , after writing your vent, please also Email your info to Brian Ross at ABC as well, we need all violated
consumers to do this, thanks in advance , we all appreciate it!
Here's the site
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/BrianRoss/page?id=3247430

Well, got my TV back yesterday, fully repaired etc.
Was quite and pleasantly surprised. The invoice reports, "Advised sony [of the faulty OB] who advised repair would be covered under warranty". To the best of my knowledge the TV is well out of warrenty, so pretty chuffed that they stepped up to front the repairs for me.
Not to say of course that the repairs will last any longer than the typical, but as I related in a previous post the repairer said they improve the ventilation system when they repair this issue, so fingers crossed.

Still not happy that the issue arose in the first place and the reasons behind the issue. But have to say that I've been pretty happy with the outcome at this point.

In unfortunate stark contrast with what everyone one this forum has had to put up with.
Wondering if I just lucked out or whether maybe we're just better protected as consumers over here?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Congratulations, Rudenbark! Hopefully, other A10 owners can cite your case to appeal for a free repair. I suspect not, though. Sony, what say you?

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 51
Glad to hear that Sony New Zealand "listens", Rudenbark. Sony Canada seems to be better able to "hear" their customers as well--albeit in their own sweet time. SonyUSA?...not so much.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I too am one of the few who got Sony to repair the OB. I changed the status quo by refusing to communicate with their cust svc. My Sony repairman talked to their tech guys and they agreed to fix the OB while they were replacing the lamp door. I know how the NZ guy feels. I have put myself in this state of denial about the OB blowing up again. I want to think that my OB has been redesigned or has a new filter or something that will let it last and last and last ... I sooo don't want to go thru with all the hassle again. Why can't I just enjoy my $5,000 tv?

Username: Hjvu98

Ok pissed off customers. I found this page, "http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-657027.html"

it show you how to replace the blue polarizing filters for an older model Sony projector. But it looks a lot like the one in the optical block engine of the sony wega kdf-50we655 that I have. The part numbers for them are:

blue IN Polarizer (9-885-029-40) $162.00
Blue OUT Polarizer. (9-885-029-41) $175.36

To order the parts directly from Sony Parts, call:
1-800-538-7550 Option #1.

Or just place the part #'s in at the Official Sony site and buy online.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

I'm not sure if these are the exact parts or not. so somebody go find out. I'm sick of dealing with the customers service bulls. that's almost $300 for 2 small parts.

Username: Hjvu98

check out this manual to find a pic of that filter.
http://www.stevenhightower.net/hs10/ServiceManual.pdf

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
HJ,

The structure of this front LCD projector's optical block looks extremely similar, if not identical, to that of the 2003-2004 (and perhaps other) Grand WEGA rear-projection models. I think this fills in most of the knowledge gaps I had, so thank you very much for pointing it out.

Unfortunately, Sony seems to sell many different blue polarizers for many different front projectors, and I am not sure whether any of them will fit in the TV optical blocks. In addition, they are a bit pricey, and I think that most of the problems people are having also involve the LCD panel itself, which only seems to be sold with the prism block assembly (and costs >$1,600).

This is a great find, though.

Steve

I started a blog. I would like everyone to post a coment if you have time about your problems.
http://dontbuysony.wordpress.com/.

Thanks

CA US

I read somewhere (here i think) that one can check how long their TV has been running (# of hours). I looked at all the available options on the menu and didn't find a way. Can someone pls guide me thru this.
Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Mombs, it depends on your model. If you have an older one, check out the Sony Service Menu page on my Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems web site.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us